[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will he be as memorable as Darth Vader Or even Darth Maul?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 16
File: kr.jpg (96 KB, 630x981) Image search: [Google]
kr.jpg
96 KB, 630x981
Will he be as memorable as Darth Vader

Or even Darth Maul?
>>
Not as memorable as (original trilogy) Darth Vader no, Darth Maul? Yeah probably. Darth Mall was just a glorified 'big bad guy' archetype. He was fun to look at but didn't bring much to the table.

Kylo Ren is a genuinely interesting character. He's an obsessive, sniveling dickhead who's been trained to be violent and dangerous. At times he's cold and calculating too though, not just a mopey wannabe. There's something captivating about such a volatile character. He's got tonnes of room for development / improvement too.
>>
>>63794727
a glib facsimile
>>
I just can't find him as intimidating.

It's hard to take him seriously when he jobs to some untrained scavenger girl.
>>
File: Star Wars Sheev Unlimited Power.gif (491 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars Sheev Unlimited Power.gif
491 KB, 250x186
>>63794727
he's literally the only SW villain with a personality, besides Sheev of course
>>
File: 1450469148925.gif (107 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1450469148925.gif
107 KB, 300x300
>>63794727
Traitor Trooper was 100 times more memorable
>>
File: 1441280992105.jpg (27 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1441280992105.jpg
27 KB, 640x640
Who the fuck is snope and where did he come from in the thirty years after sheev and vader died?

Was he sheev's cousin or some shit?
>>
File: 1449207796630.jpg (54 KB, 535x462) Image search: [Google]
1449207796630.jpg
54 KB, 535x462
>tfw hux is your favorite character
>tfw you wanted to cheer in the theater when he gave his speech and used the death star
>>
File: 1431715166225.jpg (62 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1431715166225.jpg
62 KB, 1920x1080
>Darth Maul
>memorable
>>
>>63796980
why is he always referred to as traitor?
>>
>>63794727

Can't answer this after one movie. In Ep VII he is young, rough-edged character. Can't control his emotions, therefore no focus and no real power yet.

If he uses his 'defeat' as a focus, has no more daddy issues to worry about with Han gone, I bet in film 2 he will be another level of dark side. Intent, polished, trained.
>>
>>63794727
Famous for being such a pussy.
>>
>>63797008

Snope will most undoubtedly be Darth Plagueis

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis

Long time canon character who is rumored to be Sidious' master/former master
>>
>>63795158
>Darth Maul? Yeah probably. Darth Mall was just a glorified 'big bad guy' archetype. He was fun to look at but didn't bring much to the table.

nigga was the only redeeming quality of a shit movie
>>
>>63794727
that mask is gay af, looks like a shitty attempt at the mask of the phantasm
>>
Not with his fucked up face.
>>
>>63795976
...Vader lost to some untrained farmboy who flew a fighter like twice in ANH
>>
>>63797166
he looks like prequel anakin did just with a way bigger nose
>>
>>63797061
>The guy with 2 headed lightsaber
>Those horns
>Red and black face

He is pretty memorable.
>>
>he took off the mask

its shit
>>
>>63794727
Absolutely. Maybe not as culturally-known, though.

Dude's basically Jacen Solo 2.0.
>>
>Muh family
>Muh supreme leader (is wise)
>Muh shit getting fucked up
>Reeeee normies GET OUT *slashes wall*
>Muh probably sister
>Reeeee we're not done here
>Time to sperg out and throw a tantrum again
And he looks like a spotty teenager who went through an awkward growth spurt.
>>
>>63797141
Sidious killed him in his sleep.
>>
>>63794727
So far he's like prequel Anakin whining about his emotions. He'll get better though.
>>
>>63797206

What? By the time he finally beat Vader in the third movie, he was very well trained and seasoned. He never beat him in ANH. Han blindsiding him in a space battle doesn't count.

First time they actually had a confrontation in Empire, Vader handed him his ass. Which is what helped make him memorable and intimidating and their rematch all the more enjoyable. You won't really get that in this trilogy now.
>>
>>63795976

Don't think he was supposed to be intimidating yet really, just that we saw he had the ability to be soon.

I think people are overestimating him. He wasn't supposed to be Vader in this movie. He was supposed to be this young, wannabe Vader who let feelings cloud his abilities. He's a teenager, impatient and selfish. Full of rage and doubt.

Once that doubt is gone, once his patience is found, he will be a force to be reckoned with.
>>
>>63794727
no, he is already dead and his character wasn't explored enough in the film to make him memorable
>>
>>63797073
Because his one line is "TRAITOR"
>>
>>63796959
When will Sheev come back and save this shit show?
>>
>>63797073
He singled out Finn and called him "traitor".
>>
Nah, he's gonna pussy out and bring his buddies.
>>
>>63797339

well if this trilogy mirrors the original like it apparently is going to be throughout, I would guess Ren comes back a fucking beast in EP8, hands rey and the resistance a fucking force sandwich to eat.

The third movie will be the final showdown between Ren and Rey (cousins) after Rey is fully trained by Luke and Ren fully trained by Plagueis
>>
File: 1449640672796.jpg (31 KB, 420x408) Image search: [Google]
1449640672796.jpg
31 KB, 420x408
>>63797370
i was thinking this the whole time. the villains were rather weak in this movie. at least the originals had sheev and vader. the prequels had darth maul, dooku, grevious, and sheev again, who were all badass

kylo ren suffers from marvel villain syndrome, he's a copy paste loki from avengers. really the whole movie just felt like avengers in space.
>>
He's a joke. By far, by fucking landslides, the worst dark side character from the movies. And his design is a shameless ripoff from an already existing and very popular Star Wars character.

Just how can you fuck up this bad?
>>
>>63797061
>only character to kill Liam Neeson on screen
>>
>>63797073
Because he had the courage to call out his former best friend
>>
>>63797273

Only according to the prequels. And wasn't Sheev pretty famous for lying?
>>
Eh, Darth Maul Goth was okay I guess.
>>
>>63797500
Things would be different if Sheev were here. He wouldn't send a pussy ass out without proper training to get smacked. He trained Maul well and he beat the shit out of Obi Wan and Qui Gon, he just got overconfident at the end.

He also trained Dooku, who likewise BTFO pretty much everyone until Sheev had no more use for him.

I sincerely hope he fries or spins Snoke.
>>
>>63797273
Perhaps he didn't actually finish the job? Snoke looks pretty fucked up by force lightning etc like Sidious was after Mace, just to another level. Seems like he got in a fight with someone and paid a price at least. Looked like a piece of his friggin head was missing.

Sidious is gone now, perfect time for Snoke to come back out of hiding and pick up where he left off before Sidious betrayed him.
>>
no really

why he has the mask
>>
>>63797683
how did snoke not sense that kylo ren was struggling with not being 100% secure in the force?

sheev kept vader under a tight leash and if vader ever for a second acted like a pussy he would have thrown him the fuck out. only at the very end of episode 6 does vader finally snap and throw sheev out, he had a clean track record of 100% dark side before that

but no, kylo ren is just a confused faggot the entire movie, snoke should have just thrown his dumb teenage angst ass out
>>
>>63797326
>He'll get better though.

how will he get better as a character?

note that getting more powerful doesn't count.
>>
>maul
>memorable
He had no motivations, and 2 lines of dialog in the whole movie. Was literally only there because Lucas wanted a cool looking villain for a saber fight. He can barely be called a character
>>
>>63797506
You must be a troll. You understand that he's supposed to look like an insecure mess, right? He also tries to copy Vader's style on purpse. I really hope you haven't seen the movie and you're just theorizing, because otherwise you're the dumbest fucking moron in this website.
>>
>>63795158
>Kylo Ren is a genuinely interesting character
Yeah this i really wunna find out where this is going shame i have to wait 2+2 years for another movie(s)
>>
>>63797804
i hope he just goes full light side while regretting killing han while rey goes full darkside and gets converted by the chrome trooper

that would actually be interesting but what we'll get in episode 7 is rey training under skywalker and kylo training under snoke and then they'll have a big bad saber duel inside starkiller base 2.0 and that will be it
>>
Movies always pull this shit with villains. You can't ever go into a movie expecting to be terrified or amazed by the villain because there is a big build up for them and then they just end up getting their ass handed to them like nothing.
>>
>>63797850
naw episode 8 comes out may 2017 so really roughly a year and a half for the next major one
>>
WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HIS FAAACE?
WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HIS VOOICE?
>>
>>63797801
Snoke is pretty retarded.
>Hurr durr let's send out this half-trained chucklefuck even though there's literally no benefit
There is nothing Ren did that couldn't have been accomplished without Ren. Hux and Phasma seemed to have shit locked down. Maybe Snoke just assumed there'd be nobody to make Ren look like the bitch he turned out to be - playing at sith. Sheev would be disgusted. So would Anakin/Vader probably.

Maybe Force Ghost Sheev will lead Ren down a better path.
>>
>>63797847
>namefagging
>h-h-he's SUPPOSED to be shit
>literally too fucking braindead to understand the post has nothing to do with Vader and the similarity mentioned was in regards to a different character; even when there's a goddamn image attached

Pitiful.
>>
>>63797990
>There is nothing Ren did that couldn't have been accomplished without Ren

this is the biggest plot hole in the movie for me. they didn't need ren to activate starkiller base, they didn't need him for anything

>Force Ghost Sheev

we can only hope
>>
>>63797998
>doesn't fucking know what noko is

>>63797847
>can't fucking noko correctly

jesus christ I'm too old for this shitty website.
>>
>>63797830
He was memorable, he wasn't a well written character, but he was memorable. He looked cool and had a neat gimmick saber that had an actual purpose.
>>
>>63797914
>Chrome Trooper
Literally in the trash
>>
>>63798065
noko hasn't done anything for years. And even when it did do something, it didn't go in the name field. End your life, miserable fucktard.
>>
>>63797998
>calling a noko namefagging

wow

this is the most newfag shit i've ever seen
>>
>>63798153
That's what I literally meant when I said that person didn't know how to noko correctly, why are you so angry?
>>
>>63797351
hes not dead dumb ass they specifically state to grab him and the chick never killed him
>>
>>63794727
I find it so fucking weird how people actually like Darth Maul as a character, what character exactly? He had literally the most 2 dimensional personality possible, said next to nothing and just did some sweet flips. Do people actually just think he's cool because of his fucking acrobatics?

At least Ren has a bit of depth as a character with room for some quality development. He isn't a straight up and down archetype like Vader was in the later movies. This is the first time we've ever seen someone actually resisting the light side and TRYING to give in to darkness, which I found to be cool and novel. It opens up some interesting options, like what if Anakin's force ghost started trying to convince him to turn back to the light?

Not to mention those tantrums he threw were hilarious as well, and actually make a lot of sense with the whole giving into your rage deal. We never really see such raw dark side users, they all generally seemed to be fairly calm which never made too much sense.
>>
>>63798209
What makes you think I'm angry, you braindead shit?

>>63798154
>using a name in the name field is not namefagging
And then there's this fucking retard
>>
>>63798286
newfag lmao
>>
>>63798154
Implying anyone has a good excuse to tripfag regardless of the circumstances
>>
>>63797998
>noko
>namefagging
>>
>>63797141

how can that be if sheev killed him

oh wait, we're just making shit up as we go now
>>
>>63798286
Well golly I'm not sure, friend. You just seem cross is all.
>>
>>63798327
>not knowing the difference between a name and a trip
>not even knowing what noko is

your a bigger newfag than the other guy
>>
>>63797963
oh thats good right around my 27th birthday
>>
did anyone else cringe when rey was piloting the falcon and fucking it up?
Han solo would've been pissed
>An hour later
>He's wrecking it too

Will someone PLEASE THINK OF THE FREIGHTERS?
>>
>>63798360
>taking the bait

stop it man
>>
>>63798357
You already said I seem cross; the question was why, you fucking retard. I'm sure a failure like you lives with their parents so ask one of them to help you understand the question, provided they're not wastes of life like you.
>>
>>63798348
>too retarded and/or new to know what the name field is
>>
>>63795158
>be an edgy little piece of trash
>prove to be incompetent multiple times
h he can be good guys I swear!
>>
>Turning to the darkside before going to Luke
>Probably ignored any attempts at teaching him through light side methods
>Didn't even get to build his own saber before joining the Knights of Ren and making his fuck-up crossguard saber
>Probably got little tutelage from Luke with regards to fighting
>Snoke's quality of training is undetermined
He jobbed hard.

The one thing he has going for him is that he currently has underdog status and is to finish his training with Snoke. He could end up better with time, which is interesting, but for now, he's nothing.

>>63798360
>>63798154
noko went in the email field to return you to the same thread. Quick reply boxes make it pointless apart from legacy behaviour. I used to keep 'nokosage' in my email field for perma sage posts.
>>
>>63798480
Okee doke, hope you feel better!
>>
>>63794727
his lightsaber will be the most memorable of them all.
>>
>>63798402
Nah. It would've been ridiculous if she could fly the thing perfectly the second she got in the cockpit on top of all the shit her OP jedi genes let her do.
>>
>>63798639
Yeah, exactly. She's had experience being a pilot, but nothing that big, not to mention it's old
>>
>>63794727
I'll remember him as an unlikable mega-pussy dad-hater.
Darth Vader and Palpatine both had their character development and their charm. Maul too even though he never talked because he came across as a badass. This guy was just lame.
>>
>>63798402
Yeah, one thing I couldn't buy about the movie is that Han would just let the Falcon be fucking stolen. Come on
>>
Sheev lived after he was "killed" in some comic, maybe they'll use that in one of the movies
>>
>>63798782
What is new canon
What are legends
>>
>>63798823
Doesn't mean Disney couldn't rip off ideas :^)
>>
>>63798283
Face paint: the memorable character
>>
Well he's an interesting and original (for SW) character,
He could be memorable if Rian Johnson gives him a good treatment in the next movie
>>
>>63797029
Why? That speech was literally "we r evilz!!!". There was no substance whatsoever.
>>
>>63794727
He's already better than le double lightsaber spiky hair meme man. I just hope he doesn't get a redemption arc and becomes genuinely evil. Would be based to see him depose Snope at the climax of the trilogy.
>>
>>63796980
SO FUCKIN BASED!
>>
File: canvas.png (46 KB, 142x200) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
46 KB, 142x200
>>63794727

Why does he wear the mask?

Vader kinda needed his. Maul didn't even bother with one. Ren doesn't need it and it looks ridiculous.
>>
>>63794727
>Darth Vader
obviously not. nothing from this trilogy will be as memorable as the original trilogy

>Darth Maul
probably. he's already a way better character, but not iconic yet. but he is set up to be the main threat for twice as long as darth maul was at the very least
>>
Everyone remembers Maul, but I think that's probably because Duel of the Fates was an amazing piece of music and that moment when the princess's entourage is rushing through the palace and after sneaking around the whole movie he just steps out in front of them like the universe's biggest badass was pretty hype.

I dunno about Ren. Maul definitely isn't an interesting character in TPM, but being a better character isn't necessarily relevant.
>>
>>63799031
It's more to do with his double bladed lightsaber.
>>
>>63799014
that's the point. he's trying too hard to be vader, they literally facefucked you with that
>>
>>63794727
He's gonna be a reverse Vader. Instead of starting out as the implacable bad guy and growing disillusioned, he starts out conflicted and unsure and gradually turns towards the dark. By the third film he'll be unstoppable.
>>
>>63797029
the speech was terrible, could've been so much more
>>
>>63799014
>kneels in front of Vader's mask and begs to be more like him
>this idiot still doesn't get it

wew lad
>>
>>63799077
Yep, especially when he finds out he was switched with Rey at birth and his entire life is a lie made up by Luke to protect Rey from Snoke
>>
>>63799065
>>63799128

Why does he want to be like Vader, though? Does he not see how big of a tool he was? Jobbing for a decrepit old white man can't be glamourous no matter how you tell the story.
>>
>>63798480
projecting hard
>>
>>63799077
That's a fucking cool prospect man
>>
>>63799060
Maybe, but its a memorable moment. Even if that's the only one people remember, its the defining darth maul moment, and its a good one.
>>
>>63799031
Imagine that scene with Ren
>Ignites saber
>Qui Gon punches him in the face
>Mask hisses and groans, Ren falls to the floor and farts
>Padme probably steps on his balls
>>
>>63798480
homo
>>
>>63797254
It's really only his appearance that's memorable.
>>
>>63797804
Getting more powerful absolutely counts as being a better character, in the star wars universe.
>>
Kylo's legacy is being the first SW villian to get his ass beat in his premire movie and live to tell the tale after... This faggot is disgrace and the Sith doesn't want him
>>
>>63799308
maybe luke told him about vader and he thought he was badass, or he lost respect for luke somewhere down the line and in turn decided to follow anakin's path instead
>>
>>63797934
do you really want another unbeatable villain that just kicks everyones ass over and over again though, it would make the force awakens even more like the original trilogy.
>>
>>63797998
>noko
>namefagging

o i am laughin
>>
>>63799308
i imagine vader got told through stories as some massive figure of power who killed left and right and was unbeatable
>>
>>63799308
Don't you want to be like your grandfather, anon?
>>
File: 1449869180293.png (304 KB, 646x524) Image search: [Google]
1449869180293.png
304 KB, 646x524
>prequel kids deluding themselves into thinking that any of the villians in their shit movies wasn't complete and utter shit (excepting for Sheev)
>>
File: 1416797522796.png (708 KB, 1024x435) Image search: [Google]
1416797522796.png
708 KB, 1024x435
>>63799832
From my point of view, the Jedi were complete and utter shit in the prequels.
>>
No. His mask design and clothes are horribly shit.
Also
>dat voice
>>
>He's shit lol

>freezes a blaster bolt mid-flight
>reads minds w/ force
>could feel which random trooper was the one who deserted, and knew his designation

He was an intimidating bad guy w/ flaws.
>>
>>63799929

The Jedi were actually pretty bad too, when I was a kid I ended up siding against them.
>>
>>63797847
Calm down JJ tons of people love your LOST brand of star wars.
>>
>>63797073
Just as he challenged Finn to a duel by unsheathing his sci-fi baton at him, he screamed his own name as a war cry:
>TREY TORETTO
>>
>>63799929
That might be because the prequels as a whole were complete and utter shit
>>
He was pretty cool, it would've been better if he beat the shit out of Rey and she lived because the earthquake.

Him mind probing Rey was oddly erotic and I kind of got a boner during that part
>>
>>63794727
I didn't like the actor, but only because he didn't look threatening at all when he took off the mask.
>>
i was disappointed Snoke was not really
a giant man in a chair.
>>
>>63800322

Maybe he is a giant man on a chair and the hologram was trying to be accurate.
>>
>>63800166
This. I was expecting Chewy to bring the Faclon in to save Rey and Finn from Ren.
>>
>>63800373
that would be fine by me.
>>
why does he wear the mask? because he sounds like a pussy without it?
>>
>>63797500
God you're an idiot
>>
>>63800459
If he pulls it off it will be extremely painful to look at
>>
>>63794727

His lightsaber is the best lightsaber so yes. Also he actually has character flaws and personality, which is more than you can say about Maul.
>>
Am I the only one that found him extremely cringe? I rolled my eyes each time he came on after he took off the mask. His character is awful, it's like a parody on teenagers.
>>
>>63800082
The prequals were lame but at least they did a moral gray area rather than this generic light vs dark shit.
>>
Kylo Ren is not Darth Vader, he's Anakin Skywalker. He's arrogant and whiny and throws tantrums.
>>
>>63795158

Why do people even like Darth Maul?
>gets cut in half
>they attach chicken legs to him
>gets an entire comic series dedicated to him
>ends with his mom getting killed by Grievous
>>
Darth Maul isn't memorable at all. he was a side character and essentially the Death Star/Starkiller of episode 1

Kylo has actual relevance. I don't think he'll have the same cultural impact, but he's' definitely 10000% more memorable. Grew up with OT before PT was released if that makes a diff
>>
>>63801297
>Moral grey
That's just an excuse for hypocrisy. 3 examples off the top of my head:

- Obi Wan and Qui Gon Jinn go to that desert planet to get the ONE kid they wanted, leave, and never come back to free the other slaves. Not even the kid's fucking mother.

- Anakin, a light side Jedi, kills innocent women and children in rage and it's okay.

- Anakin, a light side Jedi, murders a disarmed opponent and no one cares.

There's nothing gray about this, it's just evil.
>>
>>63797206
>untrained
maybe you should rewatch the movie
>>
>>63794727
He would have been more memorable if he didn't take off his mask and cry all the time
>>
>>63801371
He had a striking visage and and a couple of cool scenes. He's basically the Boba Fett of the prequels in that the character's popularity is disproportionate to the amount of lines and screen time he gets.
>>
>>63801577
Wat? Its supposed to be about the fall of anakin, of course he does evil stuff. Its poorly presented yeah, but the film doesn't act like him butchering those sand people is a perfectly normal thing for him to do.

As for the "hurr they didn't free the slaves" bit, tatooine is controlled by the hutts, and Qui Gonn respected the rule of law in a society where he was not in a position of authority. They didn't free slaves because they had no right to. They bought anakin because they knew he was important, and they tried to buy his mother too but watto wouldn't allow it.

What the fuck is wrong with respecting the law of a different planet? Are anti-PT faggots really this stupid? There's plenty of actually shit stuff in there to hate on, going "lol why didn't they free the slaves?" is dumb as fuck.
>>
>>63801681
why isn't grievous this popular
>>
>>63801772
>Its supposed to be about the fall of anakin, of course he does evil stuff.
But it's not evil in the way you're saying, i.e. grey. It's just blatant savagery and brutality.

>Its poorly presented yeah, but the film doesn't act like him butchering those sand people is a perfectly normal thing for him to do.
At no point is he punished for it. His girlfriend still marries him, and it's never even mentioned by the Jedi beyond "boo hoo Anakin is feeling pain"... I guess the pain of the little alien kids doesn't matter. Since there are no consequences for his actions, the movie tells us that Anakin's behavior is okay.

>tatooine is controlled by the hutts, and Qui Gonn respected the rule of law in a society where he was not in a position of authority.
Oh, okay. So I guess if they were Muslims and allowed child sex slavery, that'd be ignored too? At best, you're turning the Jedi into apathetic jerks.
>>
>>63794727
Well he'll be in more than one film, so hopefully.
>>
>>63802004
>So I guess if they were Muslims and allowed child sex slavery, that'd be ignored too?

Cultural marxist detected. Yes, either you respect other cultures or you don't, faggot. Pick one.
>>
File: 1393086718413.jpg (47 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
1393086718413.jpg
47 KB, 490x490
>>63801577
>disarmed
>>
>>63802049
Liberal detected
>>
>>63802217
Except that's the exact opposite of a liberal worldview. Why can't American's use words?
>>
File: THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN.png (184 KB, 293x466) Image search: [Google]
THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN.png
184 KB, 293x466
JUST
>>
>>63802647
>SITH HATE HIM
>>
File: 1448358742070.gif (533 KB, 430x374) Image search: [Google]
1448358742070.gif
533 KB, 430x374
>be Stormtrooper @ Starkiller Base
>all is good
>nice comfy life
>get hungry
>go to mess hall
>its chicken tender day
>nice
>Kylo Ren is behind me in line
>shit I don't like this autistic fuck
>get the last tendies
>mfw Kylo starts screaming REEEEEEEEEEEEE as I get eviscerated by his shitty knockoff lightsaber
>>
>>63797146
And that statement says a lot for the movie
>>
>>63795158
No absolutely,
Some cunts dont actually understand Kyle as an actual edgy teen
They think hes just poorly written like that
I cant wait to watch the little edgelord explore his character
>>
>>63803488
is it bad that I can genuinely see this as a actual scene in Force Awakens?
>>
>>63799589
Well its implied Luke trained him
And Kyle was prob just an edgy teen so he follows his grandpaps instead
>>
>>63801297
Atleast the new movie is exploring the evil vs good shit but I guess the whole dark vs light built up for Dark Vapor turning
>>
>>63803812
it's not implied, they outright say that luke trained him and something went wrong, which probably led him to turn to what he knows of vader
>>
>>63803991
They never said Kyle
They just said Luke trained some cunt but its 99% gonna be Kyle
>>
File: Cover Art.jpg (91 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Cover Art.jpg
91 KB, 350x350
Hey guys here's a debate question that was raised in my group after viewing the movie: was the defeat of Kylo Ren a wrong step for the series? Kylo Ren is the main antagonist who shows inner conflict throughout the movie whether to choose the light side or the dark side. The death of Han Solo symbolizes his final decision to the dark side, and with this Kylo Ren should be internally changed as he is now directed towards one motive, the dark side. When Rey fights kylo was it a good decision to strike down the main villain in the very first movie of the new series? Traditionally the antagonist is supposed to appear untouchable until the rise of our protagonist which sets up frame work for trilogy. The main conflict in my group of friends is that the writers should have had Rey lose as she has no real training in the force or in the ways of the Jedi, while Kylo Ren is supposed to be our main antagonist who is untouchable and badass. However, Kylo Ren is portrayed as no longer a threat or no longer a badass in the eyes of the viewer because he was essentially defeated by the weakest version of our main character. Some people argue that the shot by chewy caused Kylo Ren to lose, but remember that that is a writing decision to have Rey win. Having Rey win with closing her eyes and suddenly overpowering Kylo seemed in a sense like , for the lack of a better literary term, "anime". So my real question is this TL;DR:
Is having Rey win over Kylo Ren a good decision by the writers, or does this decision set up for a weak antagonist in the eyes of the viewers?
In my personal opinion, I support the writing decision because it shows a breaking of the trilogy cliché, however I am conflicted because Kylo Ren is no longer a central threat as Darth Vader was.
>>
>>63804925
>Traditionally the antagonist is supposed to appear untouchable until the rise of our protagonist
You completely missed the point. The protagonist and antagonist are about the same age, so they BOTH need to rise to greater heights together.

This compares to the old films with the son fighting the father, and the prequel where the mentor fights his student. The new film is about two equals.
>>
File: Grievous is not amused.png (103 KB, 473x286) Image search: [Google]
Grievous is not amused.png
103 KB, 473x286
>>63801989

Because the movies neutered him and never actually let him do anything cool without immediately tripping all over himself.
>>
>>63798781
It was placed there. Just like the old Jedi man with the map, and the fucking DAUGHTER OF THE JEDI EVERYONE'S LOOKING FOR. Jesus Christ, man.
>>
>>63801318
>Kylo Ren is not Darth Vader, he's Anakin Skywalker. He's coarse and rough and irritating and he get everywhere.
>>
>>63805514
i want him to be cool again
EU please
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.