[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ma-Rey Sue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 914x514) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 914x514
I have yet to see anyone praise Rey and actually discuss her character, instead saying she is 'cool' or 'cute'. Say what you will about Finn's motivation, but at least he has an actual character. When I walked out of the movie last night, all I could think of when it came to Rey was 'wow, she sure is good at everything!' Can anyone give an actual character trait for Rey that isn't 'good at stuff'?
>>
File: il_570xN.277076712.jpg (228 KB, 570x798) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.277076712.jpg
228 KB, 570x798
JJ Abrams just doesn't understand female mythological archetypes so he had no idea how to craft a character for her in this context.
>>
File: latest[1].png (155 KB, 360x274) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
155 KB, 360x274
The similarities are astounding.
>>
I thought her character was really cute and a little cool.
>>
>>63792989
Insecure and reluctant, but unfortunately by the end of the movie she completely overcomes those traits and turns into a mary sue. So in 8 she is gonna need retooling. But I enjoyed her, more in the beginning rather than the end.
>>
Luke will train her into mecha-sue and then she will get humbled by Uber-Kylo until finally she kills Kylo in 9
>>
>>63792989
She's young. Has talent but lacks emotional strength. That's definitely a huge character flaw
>>
>>63792989
I found her to be tenacious and stubborn and short tempered with a bit of regalness to her. Also she can fly a space pancake.
>>
>>63792989
that stupid fucking face
>>
>>63792989
Give it time. It's only been days. When the hype wears off, the critics will come out of the shadows.
It took weeks for people to be truly critical of MGSV
>>
>>63793264
>it's only been days
It officially came out everywhere today. Start counting today
>>
>>63792989
>describe Rey as a character, without saying what they look like, what they do or what their position is
>>
>>63792989
Both are absolutely terrible. Even the prequels had better delivery despite their stilted dialogue.
>>
>>63793235

Those arent really flaws for a character that is good enough at everything to not need to rely on anybody else.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 362x358) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 362x358
>>63793264
>MGSV
AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH FUCKONG STOP GOING ON /V/EDDIT U SHITLORD IT'S A TERRIBLE FUCKING PLACE WHERE THEY CAN'T DISCUSS VIDEO GAMES WITHOUT CALLING THEM SHIT OR DIVULGING INTO CONSOLE WARS
>>
File: Katherine Kinnidy.jpg (69 KB, 347x382) Image search: [Google]
Katherine Kinnidy.jpg
69 KB, 347x382
>>63792989
I thought she was an amazing, strong and smart woman. I'm glad Star Wars™ is finally getting proper representation of woman!

I love love LOVE it!
>>
My problem is for some reason Hollywood thinks a strong female character needs to be perfect and strong and right at all times. They're zeroing in on the 'female' part and not developing the 'character' aspects. A hero can be vulnerable and make mistakes. It's fun for us as an audience to cheer on a hero and see them become stronger. But if our hero already can magically do everything than its boring. Rey can fight, pilot star ships, manipulate the force with seemingly no background knowledge or practice. What does she need any friends for? She is already capable of doing everything. Give her some flaws. Let her get her ass handed to her. Give her motivation. If they're gonna make her Luke 2.0 then give her a damn arc.
>>
>>63793089
What ARE the female mythological archetypes?
>>
>>63793354
I was just listing off traits but yeah, that's a good point. Rey is uncooperative, distant, inconsiderate, immature and more of a hazard or liability than an asset. She's willing to accept complacency and lies to herself constantly to justify not rising to her potential. Outnumber her and her ass is grass, jedi mind tricks or not.
>>
>>63793747
Those are strong female character traits, not flaws
>>
>>63792989
she's good at everything because she's strong in the force, it's pottery!

i think she'll get more development in the next one though
>>
I think they're saving her characterization/motivation for the next movie since they have to reveal the totally not obvious epic twist that she's Luke's daughter first as to not spoil it
>>
>>63793630

a bunch of seductive whores basically
>>
>>63793630
In the context of Jungian psychoanalytic philosophy, the quarternity that creates the foundation for the female heroic archetypes is comprised of the Queen, the Amazon, the Medial and the Hetaira. In a general sense, you'd just have to look to the prominent female figures in mythology and observe the deeper meaning of their stories and symbolism. Figures like Queen Persephone, Athena, Artemis, Atalanta, Kassandra, and Antigone just to name a few
>>
>>63793222
No way. She already humbled the Vader wannabe before she had any training. It's Snoke that will take her down.
>>
>>63793594
Maybe they were scared to give her flaws
>>
>>63792989

She's a strong, independent woman who don't need no man!
>>
>weeks leading up to the movie everyone bitches about boyega
>movie comes out
>turns out he is no where near the worst character
Bravo abrams
>>
>>63792989
She can't have flaws OP. If they gave her flaws the femtards would go into full-outrage mode

They needed to make a character that was so squeaky-sue and perfect that the clickbait media could easily write "MOOOVE OVER BOYS! STARWARS ISN'T JUST FOR YOU ANYMORE XD XD XD"
>>
>>63795136
Yeah that's the point. Ren and Boyega are two most believable characters in the entire film.
>>
>>63793122
zomg teh rei
>>
She's supposed to be the self-insert to keep the vagina in the seat happy about a movie she doesn't otherwise care about. Normally you don't do that with the lead character because the self-instert is meant to be forgettable and just to get the guy laid who paid for the date's ticket.

So the main lead in this movie is entirely forgettable.
>>
Did she really manage to beat a fully-trained Jedi turned Sith without any training herself? Fucking hell, Luke and Anakin have nothing on her.

Is she the "chosen one"?
>>
>>63798057
>beat a fully-trained Jedi turned Sith
No, she bopped a dude that never finished jedi training and isn't even a sith and who tanked a bowcaster shot to the chest.
>>
>>63792989
So is she officially the next Disney Princess?
>>
>>63798315

Luke at least had some saber training from Obi Wan before his first lightsaber fight. Did Ren have any?
>>
>>63798401

Sorry not Ren, Rey. Why the fuck did they chose such similar names?
>>
>>63798057
>Did she really manage to beat a fully-trained Jedi turned Sith without any training herself?
>fully-trained Jedi turned Sith
>fully-trained
uwotm8

Also let's ignore everything Kylo had going against him. The bowcaster wound (which was able to 1 shot mooks) and the emotional battle. (which in theory directly impacts force abilities).

I won't pretend the fight wasn't too much in her favor... It was. She was far too much of a natural. But it wasn't THAT ridiculous.
>>
>>63794732
Yes, but next time he will be at full force instead of being wounded by a weapon that was sending anyone else hit by it flying in the air. Kylo was nowhere near in top form at that fight. I can not wait to see poetry in action as he rekts her in the second part of the trilogy.

"Rey, I am your cousin."
>>
>current year
>woman jedi
>no training
>beats a fully trained sith

oh I'm laffin.
>>
woman can do stuff better than men, period
>>
>>63794487
kool
>>
>>63798472
Oh please. Underdog heroes always beat superior villains because of no better reason than plot.
>>
>>63792989

Yeah I had real problems with Rey. So she's a potential Jedi master AND an amazing pilot who can fly the Falcon? Let me get this straight, she's the new Han AND the new Luke? Are you kidding me? Talk about over investment in a character.
>>
>>63798472
>no training
she grew up in the space hood.
>>
>>63792989
I did like Finn more overall, but I can't suspend my disebelief enough to accept him as a character.

>brainwashed from birth
>lived whole life around other people brainwashed from birth
>absolutely no contact with the outside word and yet comes out with the witty one liners and relatable sense of humour
>has a sense of humour at all

can someone explain this to me
>>
>>63798057
she's had training too, she just had her memory wiped to protect her.
>>
>>63798520

Yeah, and it's considered bad writing whenever it happens.
>>
>>63798586
>can someone explain this to me
Could very well be that storm troopers have a healthy sense of humor. How would we know?

For me the part I didn't sit well with was his choice to run away. Like this was his entire life. Shouldn't it take more than just one crisis of conscience?
>>
>>63798472
b-b-but he was injured though! he couldn't fight so good
>>
>>63798586
Since he's a coward maybe he was ostracized by other Stormtroopers hence not being as susceptible to indoctrination.
>>
>>63798612
I'm just saying, it shouldn't be relegated to a pandering 'womyn are powerful moment.' It's still bad--just not your SJW boogeyman bad.
>>
>>63798662
>How would we know?

uh well ideally we'd have gotten some context from watching the film. but no.
>>
>>63798586
How do orcs know what a menu is?
>>
>>63798472
Oh so you didn't watch the movie huh? Like the part where snoke says "it's time to complete Kylo Ren's training"? Also Kylo Ren was injured at the time and going through some emotional turmoil after killing his own dad which has a direct impact on force abilities.
>>
>>63798682
Baneposting will go down in history as the most resilient chan meme from a movie, mark my words
>>
>>63798586
banter is fundamental to the human psyche. you can't crush it with ideology.
>>
>>63798528
>mary sue
more like a better version of both considering how she actually teach stuff to solo and learn the use of the force way faster than luke(without even a master)

pluss she is even more precise than a stormtrooper
>>
>>63798791
>>/reddit/
>>
>>63798738
This. I feel a few of the major issues could have been explained with just a bit more insight into Fin's world.

Than again it was already a pretty long movie.
>>
>>63798520
>>63798578
>>63798682
>>63798791
No, she appeals to the lowest common denominator. She appeals to SJW and feminist cucks that just love the whole "woymn are so great and strong we can do anything." It's pretty damn disgusting if you ask me.
>>
>>63798662
they are brainwashed child soldiers that had only strict military education
>>
>>63798472
Kylo is ass
>>
>>63798520
Anakin lost all the fucking time despite being the strongest in the force because of his lack of training.
She apparently doesn't need training.
>>
>>63798791

As far as we know she had no knowledge of what a Jedi can do. How would she know she can influence weak minds, how does she know she can summon objects to her? People forgot about the Jedi in the films universe. She would only know this if she saw the original movies. Did she watch them on the way to the super Death Star 3 turbo?
>>
>>63798881
She could have been a he. Made no difference to me. It's not like she was feminine....at all. Just ran around a lot.
>>
>>63798438
let's pretend that a dark jedi that was trained for about 20 years first by luke (strongest jedi in history) and than by the sith isn't able to obliterate a girl that foundout about her powers 20mins ago...
he was supposed to be able to crush them both even if he was missing both legs and 1 arm....
>>
>>63798931
Maul was beaten by Obi-Wan ho had training on how to remain calm. Obi-Wan got super mad and beat a clearly superior foe because of plot.

That bothered me more than anything in this movie.
>>
>>63792989
>I have yet to see anyone praise Rey and actually discuss her character, instead saying she is 'cool' or 'cute'.

Then you haven't been reading any of the discussions here or elsewhere.

Lurk more before making hot topics, faggot.
>>
>>63799034
He had the high ground from a certain point of view
>>
>>63798586

Completely agree. And the actor was great too. But i just kept thinking how his character didn't make sense.
>>
>>63798791
Oh you didn't watch the movie huh?
like the part where han say that his son was send to luke as a KID and lateron he went full emo and obliterated the entire jedi accademy? and then joined the dark side? can you count how many years there are between a kid and a "grown-up" man?
>>
>>63799034
Yeah that scene was pretty silly but at least it wasn't a woman who just learned about her powers 5 seconds ago beating a sith lord.
>>
>>63793122
I'm a Reifag, but Rei was only a mediocre EVA pilot. The only reason she's better than Asuka at times is because Rei has literally no ego while Asuka is so gung ho and full of herself, hoping to hog the glory whenever the EVAs have to make a team effort.
>>
>>63798936
THAT bothered me too. If Han or something had told her about 'all the cool shit Luke could do' and mentioned force persuasion, then that MAY explain why it occurred to her to try it out.

But as is? Bleh.

I can even accept that the 'Force flowed through her' in that last fight, giving her that brief edge. But the Force ain't about to explain Force Persuasion to you.
>>
>>63798812
one does not simply go into meme hood
>>
>>63792989
In terms of pure physicality, they cast the actress quite well. Watching her just moving and running around made her look like I would expect an athletic young woman to move like. Combined with her outfit it gave her a really Star Wars-y vibe in terms of pure visuals.

As for characterisation - she was a bit too perfect at times, but my favourite moments with ehr were when she was a no-bullshit fighter/pilot. She was a less whiny, tougher Luke. She still had her scenes of emotional weakness, mind you, but most of the time she was extremely determined and driven.
>>
>>63798936
Kylo Ren tried to pull mind tricks on her and instead gave her a window into his mind. That's a pretty strong enough indicator that she can influence other people's minds that she learned first hand. I will say that it's weird that she knew how to force pull that lightsaber though.
>>
>>63799270
> but my favourite moments with ehr were when she was a no-bullshit fighter/pilot.
Who she had no reason to be and it was just pure bullshit that she was pulling off advanced maneuvers and knowing more than Han about his own fucking ship.
I fucking hate her.
>>
She's Luke's kid. That's the only thing I can come up with that makes sense.
>>
>>63799347
And use a lightsaber.
And use jedi mindtricks on the soldier
And drive a spacecraft
And be good at everything she's ever done
>>
>>63799364
Anakin wasn't that powerful though and he was a true anomaly.
Higher MC count than Yoda.
>>
>>63799175
>beating a sith lord
You've triggered me. I am trigger made manifest.
Kylo was a whiny bitch boy who gimped himself by not being able to fully invest in the Dark Side. Nothing led me to believe he was particularly powerful. Let alone a Sith Lord REEEEEE
>>
File: 13620013074e35d.gif (134 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
13620013074e35d.gif
134 KB, 500x379
>>63794671
see >>63794487
>>
>>63799364
You don't inherit training, though. Anakin had more force potential than anyone, but he still needed training.
>>
>Force powers
>somehow knows how to use them
>skilled with a lightsaber
>British accent that Star Wars villains always have (Boyega is British as well but his character doesn't speak with a British accent)
>visions

She is Revan but actually canon.
>>
>>63799440
>e triggered me. I am trigger made manifest.
>Kylo was a whiny bitch boy who gimped himself by not being able to fully invest in the Dark Side. Nothing led me to believe he was particularly powerful. Let alone a Sith Lord REEEEEE

sure..he only had 20 years of training and was even able to stop a laser beam mid-air....
>>
>>63793304
I saw it 3 days ago you fucktard. Dear god, americans are dumb as shit.
>>
>>63798472
>fully trained sith

It was literally force-fed to the audience that Ren's training "needed to be completed" by Snoke. Throughout the film it was constantly pushed that he was weak, insecure, etc. Obviously Rey won.
>>
>>63799440
He still should have killed that fucking bitch regardless. If the Supreme Leader chose him he must be strong in the force at the minimum.
>>
>>63799175
Kylo is an undisciplined manchild, not a sith lord. Why supreme leader snape put him in charge of a military operation, I'm not sure, but he ain't no sith lord
>>
>>63799506
>Throughout the film it was
the movie even said that he was trained as a jedi by luke since he was a kid
>>
>>63799475
Even Revan had to level up all over again.
>>
>>63798881
>>63798971

Her gender was irrelevant to the entirety of the plot and movie. But because she's female, of course you're gonna see the popular culture make her seem like a messiah in terms of cultural impact.

Also, I dont think the movie passes the Bechtel test so it will be flagged as such in Sweden.
>>
shitty charachter.

why do people like her ? she's the embodyment of feminist agenda.
>>
>>63799498
>was even able to stop a laser beam mid-air....

Which looked cool as fuck, but I don't see how it's a super-impressive Force feat or anything.
>>
>>63799545
probably because she is actually hot in the movie
>>
>>63799548
Are you kidding me? Do you even Star Wars, bruh?
>>
>>63799359
She knew more than Han because she knew what upgrades had been done to the ship while it was away from him. And she was a scavenger so she knew a lot about ships and their parts since she had to pick them apart for a living.

She is also probably a Skywalker so the pilot+jedi prodigy is nothing unseen. It can be argued that she is more powerful than Luke was in the first two movies, but we have yet to learn if she had any instructions on how to use the force as a kid or if the nature of the force has been altered in the 30 years gap. Dont sperge out yet, Kylo
>>
>>63799533
Are you denying that Ren was portrayed as insecure and uncertain? Because I genuinely don't see how anybody could.
>>
>>63799548
because nobody was shown to be able something like that before...
and onestly it's fucking impressive! and don't tell me that when you saw that you didn't think he was a beast
>>
>>63799568

one of the least fuckable star wars girls desu senpai. A poor man's Keira Knightley / Natalie Portman.
>>
>>63799568
hot ?

shitty personality ruins it .(besides she's 3.2 at best ]
>>
>>63799545
>she's the embodyment of feminist agenda.

She is. So much so that even the black guy that everyone was raging about, gets turned into a bumbling sidekick.
>>
Why the fuck did they have to make everything other than the main duo so good? Finn was the better character, but give me a good fucking reason why he's so resistant to the brainwashing compared to literally every other stormtrooper.

I don't even want to talk about Rey because the character singlehandedly ruined my excitement for the new trilogy, they made her perfect to the point where you wonder why we need any of the other characters at all. I was fine with Han dying, but really, replacing his role with her too?

I'm not interested in watching her succeed because it's far too easy for her to do so.
>>
>>63799624
she is way better than keira but i agree not as hot as portman
>>
>>63799595
Apparently you even Star Wars way more than me, so enlighten us senpai. Why is it so goddamn extraordinary?
>>
>>63793375
Oh yeah, and /tv/ is so much better.
>>
>>63792989
I just stared at her ass the whole time and hoped she wouldn't kiss the spear chucker ooga booga.
>>
>>63792989

I don't understand how you can all struggle to accept her abilities.
Do you guys not understand "The Force Awakens" part of the title?
Also the inevitable role of Luke (the most powerful jedi who has gone full grand master hunting the origins of the jedi).
>>
>>63799610
>She knew more than Han because she knew what upgrades had been done to the ship while it was away from him
And why the shit does she know that?
>>
>>63799616
Yes it was, but it was also said that he had training since childhood, so fuck this script i guess.
>>
She is Luke Skywalkers daughter you shitlords
>>
>>63793264
>It took weeks for people to be truly critical of MGSV
I don't know where you're getting at with that, people liked it more in retrospect than they did initially playing it. /v/ is a terrible place to find out public and critical consensus, because like here its just a place for sensationalism and dramatization.
>>
>>63799691
>That scene where she walks up the stairs at the end and the camera is constantly low
>>
>>63799616
never said he was uncertain...but it's clear in the movie that he had about 20 years of training first with luke (strongest jedi in history) and then with the dark side masters...
so i think it's very forced to say that he was a nobody...even considering that darth vater was his grandfather
>>
>>63799654
That's because despite how progressive and welcoming to all of any non-white skin color these people try to appear to be when they puff themselves up on social media, feminism is more important that racial relations because the women are still white and black people have yet to be able to out-bitch a woman.
>>
>>63799714
So she's the most powerful Jedi in history?
Yeah not looking forward to the rest of these movies at all.
This was fucking trash.
>>
>>63799623
As I said, it looked cool as fuck. I'm not doubting the strength of his intro. But Ren was also seen literally confessing his weaknesses to Vader's helmet, what, ten minutes later? I'm not buying the idea he was some kind of top-tier Sith.
>>
>>63799723
Because she was given to the new owner of the ship as a child, as revealed in the flashback scene, so she was probably asked to do repairs for the ship, find parts for it, or clean it.
>>
>Kylo Ren can't commit to the dark side
>can't funnel his anger to it
>didn't complete his training
>gets shot in the side by a wookie bowcaster
>gets chipped in the arm from a lightsaber
>people are still bitching about Rey being able to keep up with him
>>
>>63799714
>I don't understand how you can all struggle with Jew Jew rewriting the Force rules.

Fixed for you.
>>
File: how original.jpg (291 KB, 753x741) Image search: [Google]
how original.jpg
291 KB, 753x741
This movie ripped off Lord of the rings more than it ripped off Episode 4
Like seriously? and it was a Delivery Mission plot.. the same as Lord of the Rings
>>
>>63793594
>freaks the fuck out over the lightsaber bit
>wants to go back to Jakku despite knowing there's NOTHING there for her
She does, in fact, have vulnerabilities. Her abandonment issues are a pretty solid character flaw, in fact.
>>
>>63799770

Luke is.
>>
Surely if she's so skilled in this movie, she's gonna get herself fucked up in the next one. The pottery dictates it.
>>
>>63799814
kek
>>
>>63799785
Then why the fuck Han says he trained with Luke since he was a kid? Did Jew Jew forgot to erase that?
>>
>>63792989
I hated all the European characters, had Rey been the only British Person in the movie she would have stood out more.
>>
>>63793235
>Regalness

Why does she have that accent? Where did she get it?
Inb4 to represent Britfags, that's not how accents work.
>>
>>63799845
Probably not, because that would be victimizing a female character and we can't have little girls thinking they're mortal.
>>
>>63799845
Especially if it decides to just be a copy paste of ESB. I'm really hoping they just copy pasted this movie because they were too dumb to figure out a way to introduce their new ideas and this is just a foundation but I doubt I'm that lucky.
>>
>>63799814
is that fucking Darth Vader and Boba Fett?
>>
>at least Finn was a character
>a literal token nigger because JJ is a hack
alright
>>
>>63799840
Anakin is officially.
We don't know how powerful Luke is, but it is unlikely that he is as powerful as Anakin because Anakin was such an anomaly.
>>
>>63799879
He never completed his Jedi training since Snoke somehow seduced him.
>>
>>63798662
i think he says that was his first mission
>>
>>63799923
Right sort of looks like he has a Mandalorian outfit but it's too dark to tell. Left looks absolutely nothing like Vader to me.
>>
>>63799814
This movie was nothing like LOTR

and theres no "Ring" object
>>
>>63799944
Oh and "Regression to the mean" supports the fact that he is probably not as strong as his father.
>>
>>63799766
Not a nobody. He was definitely powerful, and not to be trifled with. But considering how physically and emotionally crippled he'd been (Chewie's crossbow hitting him in the chest, killing dad, etc) I'm not that surprised that Rey could hold her own.
>>
>>63799923
The right one's helmet look like the ones uruk-hai wore in LOTR.
>>
>>63799923
maybe they're also vader/boba fanatics and modelled their armor after them, that'd be pretty cool
>>
>>63799498
>was even able to stop a laser beam mid-air...
The one cool thing he did. He might have a backstory of training. But he didn't show us any of it. Given the visual evidence he wasn't all that much of a force user. His talent seemed more to be in interrogation. And breaking chairs.

>>63799514
>He still should have killed that fucking bitch regardless. If the Supreme Leader chose him he must be strong in the force at the minimum.

Possibly. It could have been a manipulation more to hurt Luke than to make use of him.

But I'll give you he SHOULD have been able to win that fight. Even if I buy the excuse of him being hurt, and also her being naturally strong with the force.... Training should count for a lot.

I guess what I'm saying is--is universal knowledge aside given what I saw of Ren in that movie, he wasn't very impressive. I can accept his loss.

Given backstories though he definitely should have put up a better fight at the very least. unless they do pull some Revan shit and make her have repressed knowledge. That would be great.
>>
>>63799879
The dark and light side force users channel their powers in very different ways based on different emotions. If Kylo was a kid, what he trained with Luke wouldn't be of much help to him when he turns to the dark side. The main skill that carries over is swords mastery, and I doubt kids get advanced courses in that.

Basically, if Kylo could fully commit to hatred and anger he would become much more powerful with the force, but he seems unable to do so, while Rey is charitable, kind, and selfless, which gave her access to more light-side power.
>>
>>63800006
he had 20 years of experience...he was supposed to crush them with a fart
>>
>>63792989
shes compassionate
>>
>>63799940
Finn was literally the best character in the whole movie.
>>
>>63800062
Finn felt completely empty and pointless. Kylo at least had a personality. Still relatively poor writing all around. Specially Rey. She was a really fucking bad character.
>>
>>63799944
>>63799981

The dark side isn't as powerful.
>>
>>63798586
>implying soldiers aren't the very best at banter

What bothers me is how no-one noticed his rebellious nature when he was being brainwashed.
>>
>>63800062
he was pretty good as like a comic relief and also unlikely hero, i hope he gets more screentime next movie
>>
File: 1449985621018.jpg (76 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1449985621018.jpg
76 KB, 550x512
>>63800006
Problem is Luke is going to have to fight someone. Either he's going to job to Ren, or absolutely blow him the fuck out (like he should).

With the villain already jobbing, what's to become of Luke? Will he die like a bitch, or will he be all sorts of based
>I am a Jedi like my father before me
>Ren attacks Luke
>Luke force holds Ren in mid air
>And you are no Jedi
>>
>>63800025
>t have a backstory of training. But he didn't show us any of it. Given the visual evidence he wasn't all that much of a force user

that's the whole point! he has strong force powers(nobody was shown to be able to block a laser beam before), he had a long traing, he had god like relatives and yet he gets obliterated but a girl that 20 minutes ago was collecting trash for living...
>>
File: 1447940152057.jpg (26 KB, 338x338) Image search: [Google]
1447940152057.jpg
26 KB, 338x338
>never piloted a starship in her life yet she's suddenly an expert melinium falcon pilot
>never held a lightsaber in her life yet she's suddenly an expert duelist
>never used force powers in her life yet she's suddenly an expert force user, even stronger than kylo

shit mary sue
fuck her she ruined the whole movie along with kylos faggot emo ass and the ace pilot
>>
>>63799970
>This movie was nothing like LOTR
Actually it is
>and there's no "Ring" object
How about the fucking lightsaber over which this whole shit show is going

The retards are out in full force tonight
>>
>>63799814
I thought the same thing with the Map and how in the hobbit they had that dwarvish text thing they couldn't decipher
>>
>>63800110
>Finn felt completely empty and pointless

Bullshit. He was the heart of the film. Top Gun guy might've been as good if he'd got a similar amount of screentime, but as it stands Finn was by far the best new character.
>>
>people actually think Luke was the most powerful Jedi
He's not even the most powerful in his family. Anakin and his great grandson were more powerful.
The most powerful Jedi of all time is, unfortunately, Starkiller.
>>
>>63800175
>nobody was shown to be able to block a laser beam before
Except for vader
>>
>>63800036
The biggest failing in this movie was to then portray Ben as a faltering jedi.

We saw the same shit over 3 fucking movies with Anakin and it was bad then as it is now. Also, you can count the next masked walking respirator to be what's left of Ben.
>>
>>63800272
when?
>>
>>63800171
Luke's death (let's be real, he will not survive the trilogy) will likely be him going out in a blaze of glory. I expect a grand sacrifice or a pretty good duel where he manages to dish out some severe blows but loses all the same in the end. Or at least he fucking better go out like that, he's my favorite character and I will not abide a bitch death for one of the most powerful beings that roamed that galaxy.
>>
>>63800213

She's clearly being guided by Luke and the 'force'.
>>
>>63800293
When han shoots him in cloud city
>>
>>63800036
What? Do you even know anything about Star Wars? Does Vader become a noob when he falls to the Dark Side as well? Jesus Christ.
>>
>>63800062
My problem with Finn boils down to 2 things:

-His sole purpose is to be the foil to Rey; be a more inexperienced Han Solo to the inexperienced gender-swap Skywalker. I can tell he's gonna be the smuggler character; Finn reminds me of the sort of characters you see on sitcoms: the bumbling, awkward idiot who nonetheless gets his way via luck or some hidden area of expertise. That isn't much of a bugbear if not for the second thing...

-Boyega's acting leaves a lot to be desired. The reason Han works is because Ford has enough charisma to make a sweet-talking rouge believable and in some respects admirable. Boyega's only lines that weren't delivered stammering and him screaming were in the cantina and when he was giving the plans for the deathstar.
>>
>>63800275
Until he inevitably turns out to be the good guy when he's redeemed. And Rey turns out to the force incarnate sent to save the galaxy from the evil oppressive men.
>>
>>63800265
If you're bringing into the EU, Luke is literally Jesus and makes both of them look like a bitch with the kind of shit he does.
>>
I really hope people absolutely slam Rey's character in a few weeks and it gets seen as the travesty it is, because she ruined the film for me.
>>
>>63799726
Or despite his training we need to accept that Ren just sucks 20 billion cocks.
>>
>>63800314
>>63800293
The robo fist made of unobtainium? or the Force?
>>
>>63800300
Nope, he'll pull a Yoda.
>>
>>63800110
all of the new characters were shit and i'm going to be sad when leia, luke, and chewie get killed off. then it'll just be avengers in space
>>
>>63800300
>kylo acts sorry
>goes in for a hug
>lightsabers Luke in the gut
how mad would you be?
>>
>>63800242
Ok I might be missing something. Did you really truly care about him/enjoy watching him? Why? Why does everyone keep praising him?

At first he was fine, running away from the new order because of defects on his genes and shit like ok its unrealistc as fuck but I'll accept it. BUt once he starts dropping one liners WOO YEAH CANT BELIEVE WE DID THAT WOO FUNNY and shit like that... I just lost respect for him as a character. The actor was also just unbelievable. Its a combination of poor writing/acting. Felt lifeless.
>>
>>63800050
he's a punk kid who's coasted on talent his entire life.

he isn't engaging formidable opponents every day, he's chopping up peasants and doing Snoke's bitchwork.
>>
File: feminism fiction chart.jpg (187 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
feminism fiction chart.jpg
187 KB, 900x900
>>63793594
If you give a female character flaws that don't revolve around someone abusing her in the past and her overcoming that, feminazi's and sjws accuse you of implying all women have said flaw.
>>
>>63800293

Cloud city ep5 - his metal hand though.
>>
>>63800385
I would buy the $500 box set when it comes out just to watch that scene over and over and over and over while touching myself at night.
>>
>>63800372
I'm inclined to say force because he seems undamaged by it
>>
>>63798315
It grazed his side.
>>
>>63800390
People (read: millienals) like the new characters. Its like they were written to fill the same tropes but for new cultural tastes.
>>
>>63800385
>implying
Kyle Reese killed his father and Luke's friend.
We might be seeing Luke actually curb stomp him and only look to redeem him as an afterthought.
>>
>>63799899
5 bucks says she does a horrible American accent and JJ said fuck it.
>>
>>63800171
>Rey bests Snoke
>Kylo, who's been steadily growing in power throughout the trilogy, kills Snoke and takes his place
>he fucks Rey's shit up
>right as he's about to kill her Luke walks in
>nxtlvl crazy-ass fight ensues, Luke wins
>he tells Rey to rebuild the Jedi Order and passes peacefully like Yoda
>>
>>63800385
It would be extremely painful.
>>
>>63800326
Vader committed fully to the Dark Side. Kylo did not. And this is without even mentioning how infinitely more talented Vader was purely by the virtue of being conceived by the force.

Re-read what I wrote, this time carefully without sperging out halfway-through.
>>
>>63799654
INC SJW split when stronk womyn praise the movie and blacks claim it's racist
>>
>>63798472
Kylo is not sith level, he's not even inquisitor level due lack opposition from the Jedi.
>>
>>63800490
>People (read: millienals) like the new characters.

they'll like anything. the question is what will they remember 2 weeks from now.
>>
File: blast-off.jpg (102 KB, 630x280) Image search: [Google]
blast-off.jpg
102 KB, 630x280
>>63800461
Unobtanium is also undamaged by blaster bolts.

Trying not to give you too much shit because this could be plausible either way.
>>
>>63800507
So basically what Luke was supposed to do the first time around, effectively making his progression in the original trilogy pointless
>>
>>63800549
Vader wasn't even entirely committed. Vader in Empire and Return of the Jedi was obviously conflicted.
Vader also had years of teaching from actual Jedi, and actually participating in wars
>>
>>63800385
it would be awful, then I would come to 4chan and claim the movie was a "7/10 fun movie why don't you like it nerds"
>>
File: 1385279955471.png (209 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1385279955471.png
209 KB, 268x265
>>63800062
>a cliche black comic relief was the best character of the movie
what
>>
>>63800410
I like how people just make shit up to explain away faults in things they like.
>>
>>63798057

He's not fully trained.
He's barely a Sith.
He was injured.
His lightsabre is inferior to Luke's (Anakin's) sabre.
>>
>>63800628
>Vader wasn't even entirely committed.
He was before his family reemerged. Why do you think Luke beat him? Vader would have fucked his shit up if he wanted to use the full power of the dark side, but he was either incapable or decided to hold back. Did people cry as much when Luke beat Vader as when Rey beat Kylo?
>>
>>63800655
it's like how they accept explanations given in dialogue even if they clearly contradict other things in the movie.
>>
>>63800623
Gotta do something to keep the gravy train running.

I dont think Disney is just gonna stop at 3 numbered movies either. We're gonna see episode 13 play in theaters, VR and holovision in November of 2030.
>>
>>63800595
Had they specified vader was half robot by that point? I can't remember how much they detailed his backstory prior to the prequels
>>
File: 1436187167703.gif (290 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1436187167703.gif
290 KB, 400x400
>>63800507
>Snoke revives Palpatine in the 2nd film by almost sacrificing Ren
>Sheev kills Snoke, takes Ren as his apprentice because of the Skywalker blood and trains him properly
>last movies climax has Rey and Pals fighting a desperate fight against Ren
>Luke and Sheev have a giant boy confrontation with everything tearing apart
>>
>>63800742
But Luke beat Vader after three movies, after getting his hand cut off the first time. Ren lost in the first real fight we saw.
>>
>>63800742
The post literally said in Empire and Return of the Jedi Vader was conflicted
>>
why does everyone believe that rey is Ben's cousin? Wasn't it obvious when rey told han her name and he offered her a job to stay? Rey and Ren are brother and sister. Rey was just put on a faraway planet to keep her away from all the force drama just like Leia was when she was a child.
>>
>>63800786
In fact a quote by obi-wan to Luke: "He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."
>>
>>63800887
She's literally Jaina Solo.
>>
>>63800887
If that was the case, then Leia would never let her out of her sight after losing Ben.

Don't try to fan-fic away plot contrivances.
>>
Why was I the only one snickering, when the stromtroppers talked about the new T-17 model?
>>
File: sad beep.jpg (47 KB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
sad beep.jpg
47 KB, 500x209
>>63799475
>KOTOR isn't canon anymore

you didn't have to remind me anon
>>
What if Snoke actually is as big as the projector made him look? What happens if some gigantic miles-long sea creature is Force-sensitive? Does it get a realy big lightsaber to match or what?
>>
>>63799742
It was literally an unfinished game, m8.
>>
Wouldn't that solar system be utterly fucked up by the goddamn sun disappearing and then reappearing in a different place?
>>
I didn't think it was that bad. She learned how to handle herself on Jakku. Se mostly ran away during the duel and he best talent was sneaking around.

Also, she's fucking Revan. Jew Jew loves kotor and we'll find out next movie she's Rey Skywalker and her mind was wiped.
>>
File: groovy gopher.jpg (22 KB, 236x305) Image search: [Google]
groovy gopher.jpg
22 KB, 236x305
>>63798528
Anakin was exceptional pilot as well, even as a child. I understand what you are saying though.

What I think would really save the character is if someone drew a pornagraphic retelling of that scene where she's tied to the torture chair and instead of mind trickin the guard, the stormtrooper rapes the shit out of her. She'd be like mind raped after that too so all the storm troopers and kylo ren would takes turns with her butthole and stuff.
>>
>>63798884
The movie goes out of its way to show that Storm Troopers are people under the masks, not faceless machines, they joke, do small-talk, feel betrayed by Finn and NOPE the fuck out of there when Kyle has a tantrum.

Soldiers still banter and form friendships, not just the 'good' ones. You think Hitler Jugen kids didn't feel a big sense of camaraderie? Humans need social interaction and humor to stay content. You need your soldiers to be content if you want them to be loyal.
>>
>>63801082
>giant-ass alien sitting on a throne in a gloomy giant throne-room
>holy crap, an interesting Sith for once
>turns out it's just a projection and he's not really a giant

At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if it turned out to be a regular-looking politician dude who was just using the alien face as a disguise, like Palpatine hid his face when doing the holotalking.
>>
>>63793594
i disliked how she was giving fucking han lessons

how did she even figure out so much about space ships if she had never flown one?
>>
>>63799010
>strongest Jedi is history

What history cunt?
>>
>>63801333
She spent most her life taking shit apart and tinkering. How is it hard to understand why she's a proficient mechanic? You should be pissed she mastered the force in 20 minutes.
>>
>>63799258
Ren mistakenly gave Rey a window into his mind. I don't find it hard to believe that she was able to learn to at least try Force Persuasion from Ren's mind.
>>
>>63801333
For the same reasons that Luke was kinda proficient in how to take down AT-ATs and fix his own X-wing. By fucking around with ship parts on a desert planet most of your life.
>>
>>63801333
Han hadn't been on the ship for decades.
>>
>>63801333
The only "lesson" she gave Han was telling him about the modifications that had been done to the Falcon after it was stolen from him, and then she tinkered with the added part and managed to bypass it because she's spent a life pulling parts out of Star Destroyers.
>>
>>63801333

Literally scavenging them for a living.
>>
>>63801333
The scene was there to show Han being impressed by Rey's knowledge of the ship, thus leading to him offering her a job.
>>
File: 1350078152435.jpg (26 KB, 500x580) Image search: [Google]
1350078152435.jpg
26 KB, 500x580
>>63792989
Being flawless is a flaw.
>>
>>63801333

because she's spent most of her life exploring and scavenging imperial derelicts?

It was the exceptional pilot/force user stuff that bugged me
>>
She was a little sue-ish but I did think she had some flaws, being too afraid to unlock her own mind and accept the saber for one.
>>
>>63801333
>>63801530

I'm glad Abrams had all this technobable about Falcon in the movie. It's a shame he never worked on a franchise that was built on technobabble. Oh, wait.
>>
File: the next jedi.jpg (210 KB, 962x641) Image search: [Google]
the next jedi.jpg
210 KB, 962x641
i love this scavager = 10/10 fighter nonsense

a girl with a stick outfought 3, 4 troopers who were 1) male 2) trained for combat their own lives

why dont the US marine corps. just pick its soldiers from the rubbish dumps?
>>
>>63801661
>It was the exceptional pilot/force user stuff that bugged me

Luke was an exceptional pilot as well. So was Anakin, and Obi-Wan was okay at it despite hating it. It's just a force thing.

The force use is the only stuff really worth being bugged about.
>>
>implying luke isn't a mary sue
IT'S IN THE FAMILY
>>
>>63800213
>never piloted a ship before
Wrong. Remember the exchange "we need a pilot!" "We have one!" Also she had to learn how to use her speeder bike, moron
>Suddenly an expert duelist
Again, no. She was all over the place and clumsy as fuck with it. You should have paid attention, because earlier in the movie, she was beating ass with that staff, numbnuts.
>suddenly an expert force user
Okay, I'll give you that one. That was odd.
>>
>>63801814
Because we don't have force-sensitive scavengers.
>>
>>63799681
>Why the fuck did they have to make everything other than the main duo so good? Finn was the better character, but give me a good fucking reason why he's so resistant to the brainwashing compared to literally every other stormtrooper.
I think it will be a major plot point in the next movies
>>
Women don't even really like Star Wars, why are they bothering with all this?
>>
>>63801658
No it's not you idiot. Flawless is someone without flaws, it's not a flaw itself
>>
>>63801923
Because otherwise Anita Sarkeesian will issue a fatwa against JJ Abrams
>>
>>63801923
I really liked her
you fuckers can go suck a dick
>>
File: Nausica-scavenger.jpg (28 KB, 400x259) Image search: [Google]
Nausica-scavenger.jpg
28 KB, 400x259
I liked her. She's reminded me of Nausicaa.
Unlike you I don't think in stupid SJW/TV tropes when I watch a film though, so I may be wrong and actually didn't like her.
>>
>>63801856
>speeder bike
>same as a fighter pilot

no

just no
>She was all over the place and clumsy as fuck with it.
did we watch the same movie, she was deflecting his saber blows like count dooku
>>
>>63801923
Because it's 2015.
>>
>>63801923
you like it. thats reason enough.
>>
>>63801923
Hunger Games
>>
>>63792989
Rey was the most boring part of the movie
by herself she puts you to sleep because she doesn't really have any flaws or personality besides naive strong womyn

Without Finn and Han to carry this movie she'd be another anakin all over again.
>>
>>63801923
that's not true, my ex girfriend was a true Star Wars nerd
>>
>>63801967
Nausicaa didn't pull hitherto unknown superpowers out of her ass.
>>
>>63792989

OP, we can only determine how good she actually is after all three films are out. She may have actual DBZ powers by IX and VII will start to make more sense.
>>
>>63793235
Fuck off, faggot. This is the most reddit comment I've read on /tv/ in a while. Slut.
>>
>>63802002
at least anakin had something resembling a personality and messed up sometimes

rey is literally good at everything and has absolutely zero flaws
>>
>>63802029
except she did
that's literally the ending of the movie
>>
>>63799499

Nobody cares about other countries.
>>
>>63798586
every character but rey had a sense of humor this movie
its the writing
>>
>>63802083
That was the only true part, women don't have a sense of humor.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.