[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Fuck you, I liked it. It was better than RotJ.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
ITT: Fuck you, I liked it.
It was better than RotJ.
>>
>>63782761
I liked it too, but it wasn't better than RotJ.
>>
>>63782761
>>63782798
What exactly did you like about it?
>>
>>63782815
>inb4 no good reply
>>
>>63782761

I'm not sure if I liked it more than ROTJ.

Going to watch it again to make sure.

Did really enjoy it though. Despite certain plot elements being used again which honestly didn't bother me that much, seemed to fit in with the remnant almost imitational Empire (although ROTJ did do that as well with "well we're building ANOTHER Death Star").
>>
>>63782761
Me too.

Only complaint I had was Rey being the best at everything (lemme try force pulling that sabre outta the snow even though I've never seen that actually done before and WHOA it worked)

But it's excusable with the "She's skywalker bloodline,strong in the force" argument so whatever.

Really liked Kylo's character
>>
>>63782761
hi, reddit
>>
>>63782761
Literally reddit: the post
>>
The first hour was RotJ tier, everything else was prequel tier with better visials.
>>
>>63783812
Prequels had better music and action lad.TFA has nothing like this on both counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU
>>
Simply put, the problem with TFA is that it insists upon itself.
>>
>>63783812
>everything else was prequel tier
What do you mean?
The characters, dialogue, story, special effects, etc were all much better than anything the prequels.
>>63783840
>music
Sure.
>action
Fuck no. Flashy shit != good action.
>>
>>63783874
Simply put, the problem with TFA is that it's a glib facsimile t bh
>>
>>63783910
>epic memes

good argument
>>
Is it explained in the movie how Anakin's lightsaber was recovered from falling into a gas giant?
>>
quick le'ts post our top scenes:

>the whole heap of junk scene that turns out to be the millennium falcon
>the badass stormtrooper with the melee weapon
>kylo ren going on a tantrum REEEEEE GUARDS and the troopers walking by hurriedly running away
>every scene with Poe
>>so who talks first?
>>
Meh, i liked it. A few nit-picky flaws here and there but nothing particularly cringeworthy.
>>
>>63783957
no and that actually bugged me, as well as the random lightspeed jumps without giving a fuck about calculations
>>
>>63782761
>better than RotJ.

>dat massive rebels vs empire space battle
>the Emperor
>Luke's duel with Vader
Sorry, but I gotta say, RotJ has some shit parts, but it also has incredibly strong parts that outweigh anything in TFA, which was all-round solid but unremarkable.
>>
>>63784073
Why does no one ever like the jabba parts of VI?
>>
V > IV > VI > III > VII > I > II
>>
File: 1450408611350.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
1450408611350.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
I thought it was good, but safe.

Had a ton of fanservice wankery.

Literally the same plot as Ep 4

I think henry ford said it the best "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses"

What it was really missing, though, was lucas' zany magic
>>
>>63784139

V > IV > VII > VI >III > I > II
>>
>>63784110
The only parts of ROTJ that were bad were the ewok camp scenes and they were only REALLY bad because the stupid humorous tone they imparted disrupted the seriousness of Luke and the space battle they shared space with.

That was the biggest sin of the Gungans in Episode I too, they were cutting to cartoon rabbit antics and SPINNING in the middle of a climactic duel that represented the return of the Sith.
>>
>>63784073
I actually consider the throne room scenes to be the best thing in the entire franchise, but I found TFA to be a better movie overall.
RotJ slows down to a crawl in the middle.
>>63784110
Luke's bullshit plan kinda ruined those scenes for me.
Like, what if Jabba left R2 in his palace?
>>63784271
This guy gets it.
>>
File: 1447675538619.jpg (94 KB, 792x558) Image search: [Google]
1447675538619.jpg
94 KB, 792x558
>music is kinda lame but the visuals are great
>rey is cute, black guy is fine
>witty fun banter
>oh shit this might be good
>evil dude is pretty interesting, don't know about the redhead guy but ok I guess
>CGI big bad shows up
>my fucking face when

this has to be the biggest JUST moment of the past 10 years of cinema...what the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>63783082
This.

>literally finds out the force exists 2 days beforehand
>able to take on dark jedi and use the force like a pro

Even Luke sucked dick at the force in ANH, shit, even Vader did in Phantom Menace.

However, I think it's more a symptom of the films need to cram in as much shit as it could. The movie was very dense and seemed like it was trying to hit as many Star Wars notes as possible in one movie. They easily could have stretched this into three films and developed the characters a bit more.

And is Finn string in the force or not?
>>
>>63784329
I felt the same, Snook is just a joke and looks like some badly made CGI for 20 dollars
>>
>>63783840
Is it supposed to look like shit?
>>
>>63782761
Strong, independent womyn learning every Jedi trick in seconds because fuck you.

Yeah, better than ROTJ.
>>
>>63784110
Shit, I forgot to mention that. I mean, it's kind of a side story to tie up Han's capture, but it's an awesome sequence.
>>
>>63783998
>>63783957
Did it fall into Bespin or just the bottom of Cloud City?

Also I can accept the hyperspace thing because it's been 40 years, there was probably some advancement in hyperspace tech.
>>
only interesting old character is Luke, literally not in the movie
only interesting new character is Kylo, his plotline left hanging in the air without any resolution

and now we get fucking Looper guy to ruin both of those stories? god damn
also this>>63784329, that was the part when the clapping and cheering stopped for good at my theatre
>>
>>63784379
Finn isn't strong in the force.
>>
>>63784139
This is personal taste, but:

V > IV >VI > III > VII > I = II

Fuck you, I like Revenge of the Sith. Mainly for reasons this guy said >>63784256, it had Lucas' weird inventiveness and less boring shit than I and II. VII is fine, but there's really nothing new about it, and my preference is for novelty over fanservice.
>>
>>63784483
So they just shit all over lightsabers by having anyone able to fight with them?

Han using Chewie's crossbow shouldn't be possible either
>>
All those people who went all hype over Han Solo

Am I the only one to think he was just an old wreck in this movie?
Nothing agile, cunning or whatever else about him. Just some tired grandpa who'd never even win a shootout against a single stormtrooper.
>>
>>63784526
>>63784379
Did you not notice Kylo was injured badly and an emotional wreck at that time? You need a clear mind to use the Force, Rey had focus, he didn't.
>>
Kylo should have never been without the mask except for a short moment when talking to his father
>>
>>63784329
>>63784385
Shit this was the biggest disappointment for me too.

I was pretty hyped for the film, but i was especially hyped for Snoke, i made sure to know nothing about him, and i expected him to have some rad design, some people talked about a snake-like guy, and while that seems stupid that'd would have actually been interesting.

And instead we got fucking generic CGI final boss that we've seen in every action movie the 10 past years.
Seriously i feel like i've seen this CGI face a thousand times already.
I just really really hope he gets some good backstory.

The setting was really cool though. That whole thing with his size and the reveal that it was actually just a giant hologram was great.
I wonder what size he actually is.
>>
>>63784577
Did you notice that Finn and Rey literally picked up that lightsabers for the first time earlier that day?

I guess they felt they had to have a lightsabers fight, but I wasn't happy with it.
>>
>>63784607
>he's a human
>but slightly uglier
>oh and he's super big, oh wait that's just a hologram
It seems like they tried really hard to make him intimidating, but he's worse than the Emperor for an important reason: He shows anger and fear. The Emperor was amazing because he was so confident and totally in control, his underlings shit themselves whenever they hear about him.
>>
>>63784820
It's fortunate that their opponent almost sucked at lightsaber fighting as much as they did.

Imagine if they had to face Vader or Dooku or whatever, they would get annihilated

Kylo at that point was shit at lightsaber
>>
>>63784425
>it's been 40 years, there was probably some advancement in hyperspace tech.

the millennium falcon is like double that then
who upgraded it? all the "upgrades" that were done were just some dumb hacks that made things worse
>>
So we can all agree Poe is top tier and the moments with him and Finn broing it up were the best parts of the film right?
>>
>>63784987
pretty much this
>>
>tfw Boyega was actually pretty good
I wasn't ready for this feel. Fuck that ending tho, jesus christ
>>
>>63784987
Poe is okay but he didn't get to do much other than be a super wedge

And their moments together are just slightly too ghetto bruh
>>
>>63784987
Oscar Isaac has been super likable in every movie I've seen him in. I think I have a mancrush on him now.

Finn's probably my favorite new character. I loved how vulnerable he was.
>>
>>63784984
The hyperdrive bullshit in this movie is something that only Han Solo could do. It's a kind of burlesque of his earlier successes. He said in episode 4 that flying through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, and now as an old man he doesn't give a damn. This is all the more evident because he does that kind of thing twice.
>>
>>63784820
Storm troopers clearly had melee training as evidenced by the one fight scene with one, and Kylo was going easy on Rey until the end because he wanted to train her. By the time she rejected him he was caught by surprised and still injured from Chewie's blast and Finn's swipe. These aren't difficult concepts to grasp.
>>
>>63782798
ewoks, so yeah, it was much better than RotJ
>>
File: creep-shot-big-booty-in-jeans.jpg (219 KB, 900x1400) Image search: [Google]
creep-shot-big-booty-in-jeans.jpg
219 KB, 900x1400
>chewie freaking out and killing a bunch of stormtroopers after han solo dies
That was pretty hype to be desu
>>
>>63783909
TFA had neither flashy shit nor good action.
>>
>>63784526
Well, Finn could potential be good at it - combat training and all. But Rey made no sense but "the force man!".

>>63784577
This is however somewhat of a good point, can easily imagine that Kylo never really had any combat experience beyond the massacre.

Also, loved that he was a fucking dork Vader wannabe, would have hated it if he was really just Vader 2.0.
>>
I liked pretty much everything about this movie except the Starkiller base. Luckily it was basically just a sub-plot compared to Rey dicovering the Force and all that shit.

>It's just the Death Star again but bigger
>How did the FO get the resources to build such a weapon with the fall of the Empire and return of the Republic?
>What happens when it runs out of nearby suns to charge the laser? Can the whole thing move to other systems and absorb more suns?
>Exhaust port is armoured now and takes two hits to blow up

The only way it could have worked is if they didn't blow it up and kept it around for the entire trilogy, maybe even not show it until the end of TFA or not until the next film. Then have the whole trilogy build up to destroying it in episode 9, like Lucas originally planned for the OT.
>>
>>63785342
On the other hand he sure got over it fast afterwards
>>
who is the father of finn?
>>
>>63785621
Windu
>>
>>63785378
to be fair, it wasn't an exhaust port, the breach was made by the bombs earlier.

They completely copied the trench run though
>>
>>63785621
>black
>father
>>
>>63786027
Haha.
>>
>>63786027

kek
>>
>>63784868

True, sheev will also be star wars final boss
>>
My thoughts are...

>Fanservice was great
>Quote, "I got a bad feeling about this." still lives on!
>Music was like some electronic DJ modified the original scores... It's like they thru the most iconic notes into a blender with a bunch of forgetfulness.
>I liked the start of the movie much more then the end. When Poe, Finn and Rey were solo or on screen together it just felt right.
>Kylo's use of the force was pretty awesome except for the last fight scene.... like what the hell?
>Movie suffered from time slowness. "Weapon will be charged in 15 minutes" felt like that 15 minutes was an hour?! no way everything that happened was in the span of 15 fucking minutes.
>How did the republic let a rouge "First Order" become so powerful and how the hell did they make Death Star 3.0 (Which physically appeared 400% larger then the original). They better answer this bullshit in the next movies.
>"I will finish what you started" I was really hoping for some Darth Vader fan service.
>That ending... wow like wow what in the hell.

TL;DR First half of the movie is great second half is alright but highly unbelievable. Felt like ROTJ.
>>
>>63786944
>how the hell did they make Death Star 3.0
Maybe Palpy was already making it?
>Which physically appeared 400% larger then the original
Wasn't it mostly a planet?
>>
>>63786944
Yeah, towards the end it's like they didn't know what they were doing but figured that shit, movies gotta end somehow.
>>
So who has Anakin's lightsaber?
>>
I really enjoyed the movie and is my favorite out of the seven.
>>
>>63784271
This is correct. 7 is good but has some issues with pacing and character development. There was just a little too much comic relief but not Avengers tier. Overall I think it's a good addition.
>>
File: 1q2gnNF.png (14 KB, 94x121) Image search: [Google]
1q2gnNF.png
14 KB, 94x121
>>63784329
>>witty fun banter
>>
>people acting like Star Wars was never cheesy
>>
Terrible movie only liked by the capeshit /co/ and /v/ generation
>>
I'll enjoy 7 a lot more if the next episodes take a more original turn, and are just as competently made. I know the movie had flaws but I think they aren't too terrible. I disliked Snoke the most, and the Starkiller. Rey's force sensitivity was passable to me. It's not like she 100% rekt shit, she just discovered something she never knew and suddenly had this power. I hope the next movies show her struggling a bit, but improving her abilities. Kylo was also a lot more interesting to me than Anakin ever was, I'll be disappointed if they don't go really evil and deep inside his troubled side. Everybody else was pretty enjoyable too. Glad that Finn was likable, Poe as well. I just hope the next movies become more of their own, and I'll be happy.
>>
>>63784329
>redhead guy
Who?
>>
>>63785621
He's a stormtrooper, it literally doesn't matter. did that fly over your head anon?
>>
>>63783973
>Kylo tantrums
>BEN!
>motherfucking Snoke is pure horror
>Rey's vision
>Luke chilling on Rakata Prime
>>
Is Finn force sensitive or not?

>yfw Rey gets killed off at the end of the second movie
>Finn is forced the man up
>>
>>63788607
>just as competently made
>memezilla guy
>breaking meme guy
>jurassic meme guy

I agree with what you said but that will just not happen. You can shit on JJ all you want for always being completely by the numbers without any originality (I mean the only original movie he made was literally "muh Spielberg") but he is top notch in the actual moviemaking aspect, waaaay above those three chucklefucks. I mean just look at how fucking awful the new Star Trek movie looks without him. Looks like a fucking Syfy channel movie or something.
>>
>>63783610
>>63783638
Helloooooooooooooo my fellow redditor! Why are you pretending to be a pretentious wannabe patrician on this website?
>>
alright im gonna spoil my comments to not get banned but these are questions, and i don't mind being spoiled.

Was it a racemix propaganda in the end?

Han Solo dies?

Who was Ren's father?
>>
>>63782761
Fuck off cuck, go marketing elsewhere
>>
>>63784139
>>63784271
V>IV>VI=VII>I>II=III
Fixed it for you.
>>
>>63791236
Ren's father was Han Solo, idiot. You mean Rey?
>>
>>63791400
I thought Rey was Han's daughter, was it a speculation?
>>
>>63791236
no racemix propaganda, she literally friendzones him in their last scene together
>>
Finn was surprisingly great. Blew anyone who said he couldn't act or would just be some kind of ooga booga right out of the water.
>>
>>63782798

Rotj was my favorite one tbqh
>>
>>63791236
black guy is fine he's likable. at this point he's closer to having a sexual relationship with oscar isaac than he is with da white wommyn.

yes

he's Solo/Leia's child. he's a sith because he wants to follow the footsteps of his grandfather (Vader). Also he's the one who kills Han. Rey is an orphan and we don't know find out who her parents are
>>
>>63785621
Lando
>>
>>63791646
His fight scene with Kylo is probably my second favorite lightsaber duel in the series, after the one in Empire.

I was pretty disappointed in Rey's fight immediately after
>>
>>63784577

>injured badly

I like how they illustrated how badly he was hurt by having him hit himself from time to time

>NOOO STOP IT BODY, I can't be hurting right now, STOP BEING SUCH A PUSSY
>>
>>63791678

But it's obvious that luke is her dad
>>
>>63791236
black guy is basically a pussy coward deserter who gets literally friend zoned instantly. Rey literally says "stop touching my hand" and shit
but it doesn't matter, polcucks will find something to bitch about as always. they are literally the other side of the libcuck safe space SJW coin and nothing more
>>
>>63791646
It would have been better if he was white. I'm sorry, but it's true.
Every time he opened his mouth all I could think was "ooga booga where da white women at"
>>
>>63791770
kekd when she said "my friend" to him while he was comatose at the end. My nigga can't even get laid after almost dying for this broad he met 2 days earlier.
>>
It's the movie equivalent of Wendy's. You could do much worse, and it's fairly consistent and the same as last time. But that doesn't mean you couldn't do better or that it's good. It's an inoffensive product.
>>
Ben Solo
Solo Ben
Solo Ren
Sylo Ren
Kylo Ren

BRAVO JJ
>>
>>63791763
And who's the mom?
Leia? :^)

>>63791730
yeah it sucked, le ground opening up to separate them meme are you fucking serious...and that was the last scene of kylo in the movie what the fuck. this trilogy could end up well (it won't because fucking rian johnson lel why) but as a single movie it is bullshit. maybe this is how Empire felt when it came out but they really shouldn't have left so much shit in the air.
>>
>>63782761
I don't know why people dislike Jedi. Ewoks were annoying, but not film-ruining.
>>
>>63791788
lol what a shitty way to live life. kill yourself bruv, you consume too many of these memes.
>>
>>63784256
There's a fucking lot of lies in that pic
>>
>>63791770
>pussy coward deserter

I don't get why people say this. Did we watch the same movie? How does refusing to kill a villageful of innocent people for moral reasons make him a coward? Especially when he's risking death by doing so? And immediately he breaks Dameron out.

And are you really using ''deserter'' in a negative way there? He was abducted as a child from his parents and turned into a slave soldier. There was no reason for him to be loyal to the First Order.
>>
>>63785325
Mary Sue Rey, so yea, it surpassdes none of the OT.
>>
>>63791788

Assuming you aren't shitposting: that means there's something wrong with you, not something wrong with the movie.

Getting assblasted over a fun character because they're the wrong color or have the wrong genitals...ehh...why bother?
>>
>>63784139
V>IV>VI=VII>III>II>I is the only right answer.

RotJ was a satisfying yet flawed climax to the original trilogy, TFA was a satisfying yet flawed start of a new trilogy.

III's script was fucking awful, it was miles better than II and I, but it was still cheesy and underwhelming.
>"Anakin! Chancellor Palpatine is evil!"
>"Well from my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"
>>
>>63787995
Should have ended with Rey and Chewie flying off in the falcon.
>>
>>63791788
that's what I was thinking when I was watching Jessica Jones
Finn was likable and definitely not mary sued for libcuck pandering purposes. He always needs saving. First by Poe, then by Rey like five fucking times and by Solo too. Also he gets BTFO by Kylo. Rey was much more of a bullshit character desu senpai.
>>
Why do people not like RotJ?

Other than ewoks the final confrontation is great.
>>
I actually thought Starkiller Base was fucking cool. They weaponized a planet! By making it eat stars!

But then they BLEW IT UP! How can they top it now? A bigger planet? A weaponized solar system?

Oh god...

Sun Crusher?
>>
The first 30 minutes of the movie up until the end of Rey's introduction and when she meets up with Finn for the first time is near New Hope levels. Not quite there, but close.
Then it devolves into JJ's "NO QUIET ALLOWED" strategy he employs for all his movies, and we aren't allowed a single quiet moment to take things in, learn about characters or the world, or let our heroes reflect on their actions. It's just non stop action from then on.

JJ seems to have failed to realize that the scenes people really remember most about ANH aren't just stuff like the tense cockpit scene when Luke blows up the death star, or the emotional scene when Vader strikes down Obi Wan, but also the really quiet and reflective scenes like when Luke stares at the twin stars to reflect on his life, when Luke and Obi-Wan talk about his father's past in the old shack, and when Obi-Wan teaches Luke about what the force is on the Falcon. This movie just doesn't have any of that, so I can't reasonably say it lives up to the OT, even if it's still a better movie than any of the prequels.
>>
>>63792109
no it shouldn't have they fucking teased Luke for the entire movie. All I cared about was what happened to him. Plus 5 minutes of talking at the end would've been enough, just fucking explain what the shit is going on. I bet they actually did that but Disney decided to cut it earlier so it'd be a bigger cliffhanger becasue they already know Looper guy's movie is gonna be shit.
>>
File: keep-calm-and-poe-dameron.png (387 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm-and-poe-dameron.png
387 KB, 600x700
>>
>>63792162
it's just to seem interesting

if we all accepted that the OT was better than any subsequent entries then there would be nothing left to discuss.
>>
>>63792191
Honestly they should have just copied the star forge from KOTOR for a doomsday weapon, not make a stupid fucking death star 3.
If they copied the star forge, then you have a cool explanation for why the first order have actually become a serious and legitimate threat in the galaxy, and could even use it as an explanation for their army in 8 and 9 to not be pathetic.
>>
>>63792091
>V>IV>VI=VII>III>II>I is the only right answer.
Seconded, this is spot on.
>>
>>63792216
>becasue they already know Looper guy's movie is gonna be shit.
Are you kidding me?
Rian Johnson is a thousand fucking times better than JJ. JJ couldn't do pacing or character development to save his life, two things that the OT thrive on, and two things that Rian Johnson consistently gets in the movies he directs.

Johnson is the only hope this trilogy has of even possibly living up to the OT.
>>
>>63792202
Honestly I feel you, but it didn't bother me that much. Regardless, I imagine that Rian Johnson will have the style you like as Rian is all about taking his time. His most popular work (that one episode of BB) is literally 50 minutes of reflecting.
>>
File: party_hard.jpg (53 KB, 460x327) Image search: [Google]
party_hard.jpg
53 KB, 460x327
I just can't take Kylo seriously with that face. They never should have made him remove his mask
>>
>>63792202
yeah, first act was fucking great. I purposely avoided the trailers and the entire hype train all year long so basically all I knew there was gonna be a black stormtropper guy and the retarded lightsaber guy plus the old people. Man those first 20-40 minutes were fucking awesome, I was reaching max hype level. Then the CGI cartoon big bad shows up and I'm just fucking done. Fuck movies.
>>
>>63792011
Like other stormtroopers, he underwent reeducation. Since it didn't make it a loyal soldier, and since the programme he followed has an extremely high success rate, it's easy to deduce that it's his own natural cowardice who brought him free will
He's as much a coward as Rincewind. Given the occasion he will run away, but when cornered he will use everything he has to defeat the obstacle that prevents him from running away
>>
>>63788268
Oh look, another wannabe patrician.
>>
>>63792253
>The Star Forge was a giant automated shipyard, designed to create the most powerful army of all time, constructed by the Rakatan Infinite Empire in 30,000 BBY, five thousand years before the rise of the Galactic Republic. The Star Forge drew energy and matter from a nearby star which, when combined with the power of the Force, was capable of creating an endless supply of ships, droids, and other war material.
Gay as fuck
>>
>>63792323
That's the point. He's just a tryhard edgelord trying and failing to imitate Vader. The big fuckup in the looks department for me was the fucking prequel-tier supreme evil guy. What the fuck. Also the redhead officer was pretty bad too. They couldn't find a more meneacing nazi looking guy?
>>
>>63783610
>>63783638
haha reddit amirite? us 4chaners are so much better ROFL XD
>>
>>63792202
>This movie just doesn't have any of that
What about the entire part where they go to that bar in the forest planet?
>>
>>63791646
I think I'd have preferred Finn kept the saber and almost got fucked up, but Rey distracted Ren with force powers or something, leading to Finn cutting his hand off or incapacitating him in some way.

Instead, Finn has to get his ass saved again and Rey continues on to be strong, female character turned up to 11.
>>
>>63786944
>Kylo's use of the force was pretty awesome except for the last fight scene.... like what the hell?
I think it was due to the fact that his mind was clouded due to the fact that he was distraught over killing his father but not sure.
>>
>>63792322
Oh believe me, I'm VERY excited for his movie. I actually loved his thing for BB, as well as Looper. I think he's one of the current really underrated directors in the industry, so I was surprised and excited when Disney announced he'd direct VIII, as well as be the lead writer for VIII and IX.
That said, I just feel JJ fell short. He made a nice action movie, but not a great Star Wars movie
>>
File: 1449785070994.jpg (284 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449785070994.jpg
284 KB, 1600x1200
Does anyone have a good pic of Snoke? I want to change my Steam avatar to him.
>>
File: IMG_5634.jpg (59 KB, 240x226) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5634.jpg
59 KB, 240x226
>>63784256
>The pair come across an old hermit named Lars San Tekka
No they don't. Neither Finn nor Rey ever meet Lars San Tekka
>With the help of its owner Han Solo and his friend Chewbacca, escape the desert planet
Nope. They escaped the planet before meeting Han or Chewie.
>It's later revealed that Ren is Rey's cousin
That is never revealed at any point in the movie. It is an assumption.
>Supreme leader, who is secretly a sith lord
Supreme leader is very clearly a Sith Lord, not secret in the slightest.
>Yoda
Yoda is not mentioned in A New Hope

Yes the movies are very similar but you are reaching A LOT with this picture.
>>
>>63785325
ewoks are not what's wrong with ROTJ.
>>
>>63782761
Not hard considering the prequels were better than RotJ.

Fuck off furries.
>>
>>63792429

Wasn't Rey getting her teeth kicked in too until she gave herself over to the force or some shit? I mean she summoned the saber but Rey nearly chopped her ass off a cliff until she let the light in
>>
>>63792422
It's too tense. It feels to hurried along.
As soon as they get there we know both TFO and the resistance are on their way. In what should have been a nice quiet and reflective scene where Anakin's lightsaber is found, we instead get a really tense buildup straight out of a horror film to it, followed by crazy super loud obnoxious PTSD flashback images and visions.
For a quiet scene, it wasn't quiet at all.
>>
>>63792406
I liked giant Voldemort
>>
I thought the movie was 4/10 at best

The scene where they discover the Millenium Falcon and the final lightsabre fight were aight, as well as the Luke scene. Rest were eh at most and shit at worst.

Also, in my opinion Han should have been like Luke. A person that nobody has seen in ages and everyone thinks is just a story.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (25 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
25 KB, 1280x720
>>63792464
It's a bit outdated but here.
We all know it's the same person.
>>
>>63792516

Until I see otherwise I'm convinced he's a normal sized dude with such a huge ego that he makes himself giant when he's on Skype

I mean the Emperor's head was the size of a car when Vader called him up in Empire Strikes Back
>>
>>63792216
If all you cared about is Luke, why the fuck did you go see the movie? You knew he wasn't going to be heavily featured in it.
>>
>>63792402
Way less homo than le death star 3 electric boogaloo.
>>
>>63792567
Imagine
Giant lightsabers
Giant force crush
Travelling in a destroyer the size of three destroyers
>>
>>63783973
I also liked the ?cortosis trooper
>>
>>63782761

why don't you kill yourself ?
>>
>>63791520
wow either you're trolling or you're really dense
>>
>>63785306
Rey had experience with melee weapons, she had that battlestaff at Jakku. Also she seems to be extremely force sensitive, which literally enables her to predict Kylo's moves reflex-like.
>>
>>63792502

Yeah, the fight itself is kind of forgettable, I only remember that they're fighting, Ren has her against the wall and is like I'll train you, but then she does her ultra move that she's been charging and upsets him.

The point I wanted to make was that I would have liked to see them beat him together. Instead Ren defeats him Finn, but doesn't kill him for some reason, and Rey saves the day.

But we need to have weird cliffhangers because unlike IV we know this is having 17 sequals.
>>
File: elliot_rodger3.jpg (368 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
elliot_rodger3.jpg
368 KB, 750x500
>in the next film ren's mom is shown to be asian
>ren went crazy because no girl wanted to fuck him
>>
>>63792806
I also doubt that Kylo had much formal training with a lightsaber, since he constructed it himself just before comitting the columbine massacre at the jedi academy - and it's supposedly a very crude design a.k.a. Luke hadn't given him the go-ahead to build the thing
>>
>>63792870
Do fedoras exist in space?
>>
>>63791705
That could work
>>
>>63782761
>It was better than RotJ.

This.

...though desu RotJ isn't that good. It's better than the prequels but it has a lot of problems. I really did like TFA but I wish there was a more middling SW film to compare it to, because I feel like 5>4>7>6 doesn't tell the story well enough.
>>
File: 1401093867541.png (320 KB, 355x437) Image search: [Google]
1401093867541.png
320 KB, 355x437
>>63786027
>>
>>63782938
If you watch the saga in chronological order, you now get two death stars in a row.
>>
>>63783082
I was under the impression that she actually had some training, a long time ago, when she was a small kid, when Kylo says "I can show you the ways of the force", and she says "The Force..." and starts whooping ass is looks more like she's remembering something rather than simply unleashing her power.
>>
one thing that really has gotten under my nails about this movie ...

CRACKLING LIGHTABER?? what the fuck seriously?
>>
>>63793110
It was basically a DIY lightsaber that wasn't properly contained
>>
better than the prequels, better than rotj

/tv/ on suicide watch
>>
>>63793161
It's actually because it's a really really old design..
>>
Are we sure that Luke is the only Jedi? I get that they got wrecked by Kylo but I doubt Luke is the only survivor. He's just the only one we see.
>>
>le rotj was bad because le ewoks xDDD
not a fan of this reddit meme
5>6>4>>>7>>>>>>>1>3>>>>>>>>2
>>
>>63792191
I think the Starkiller (marking the third StarKiller reference within the continuity now) is the new canon answer to the EU's Sun Crusher...
I think from we'll amalgamations of the original EU in the Disney canon kinda like Ben Solo instead of the Twins and Ben Skywalker.
>>
>>63793215
I don't think anyone said Luke is the only Jedi. I don't remember them saying Kylo went full ROTS Anakin on the others, just that he turned against Luke.
>>
5 > 7 > 4 > 6 > 3 > 1 > 2
>>
>>63793200
The design is old but the problem is the cracked kyber crystal that can't really contain the power.

>>63793279
Just came back from the movie and they say Luke is the last one.
>>
>>63792202
>Then it devolves into JJ's "NO QUIET ALLOWED" strategy he employs for all his movies

that would be a problem if the whole movie was like that, but since the first act is nice and slow you get to know the characters and appreciate the universe before it starts to go mental
>>
File: Paul.gif (886 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
Paul.gif
886 KB, 250x188
>>63784607
I'm hoping snoke is actually a little guy like yoda. That would explain his need to look huge in holograms.

Screencap this.
>>
>>63793287
It's a worse version of New Hope, not better.
>>
>>63783957
your thinking of the wrong lightsaber. The one in the movie is the one he used as Darth Vader. The hilt is instantly recognizable. Luke took it when Vader died and replaced the crystal so it was blue instead of red.
>>
>>63793334
literal poetry
>>
>>63792430
I don't buy it. He convinced himself to kill his father before he did it. He should have been prepared for it. Dude is mentally unstable to insanity levels. It's what makes his character so damn awesome.
>>
>>63793329
That's not how pacing works though.
You can't shove all your quiet stuff (which was not ALL quiet, there was a mix in the first 20 minutes, a mix that should have been consistent throughout the movie) in the first 20 minutes, the n have the rest be action. You need breaks, and ESPECIALLY need a nice long break before the climax.
>>
>>63793161
luke's DIY din't crackle
>>
>>63793329
>first act
>which is less than a half hour long
>in a two hour movie
wew lad, never direct a movie please.
>>
>>63793349
For you.
>>
>>63782842
it keeps happening. fuck this movie
>>
>>63793422
I explained it a bit more here >>63793326
>>
>>63793452
No, for anyone that doesn't have ADD and would like some nice slow paced moments between the action to take everything in.
>>
>>63793434

think you've just failed to identify the act structure
>>
They shouldn't have named two characters Rey and Ren
>>
>>63793422
Luke had become a real jedi, Kylo wasn't ready but built his own anyway
>>
>>63784139
V > IV > VI > VII > III > II > I

It was certainly better than Revenge of the Sith. At least we didn't have to deal with Hayden Christensen's non-existent acting skills. Kylo Ren was far more interesting and entertaining than Hayden Christensen was.
>>
Soooo is Rey Luke's daughter?
>>
>>63793361
no it's not.
>>
>>63793229
rotj is bad because the pacing between the battle on endor, the battle in the throne room and the battle around the death star 2.0 drags too much.

Proper order is
IV>V>VII=VI>III>I>II
>>
>>63791882
trying too hard
>>
>>63793517
The second that Rey meets Finn the movie never quiets down again until after they blow up le deat star 3.
This is poor pacing.
>>
>>63792465
I didn't make it.
>>
>>63784887
This is true even Kylo has no real training beyond regular melee. Luke was his teacher and Luke didn't ever really have training in swordplay when you think about it. The old Jedi forms are lost and Kylo just swings like a hack-and-slasher, even though he makes it work for him. So it wasn't as ridiculous as some are making it out to be. Remember Finn had general combat training and Rey could fight well with a staff at the very least.
>>
File: adamdrivercover.jpg (44 KB, 650x400) Image search: [Google]
adamdrivercover.jpg
44 KB, 650x400
>>63792323
I find they did a pretty decent job at hiding how fuck ugly his face can be
>>
File: 1407277591689.png (332 KB, 422x555) Image search: [Google]
1407277591689.png
332 KB, 422x555
>>63793660
How the fuck does someone this ugly get work?
>>
I'd say it was on-par with RotJ

V>IV>VI=VII>II>III>I

>Pros
-Surprisingly good cast
-Excellent special effects and cinematography
-Finn is a good supporting protagonist
-Empire feels more evil and threatening
>Cons
-Underused/underdeveloped characters (Poe, Phasma, Snoke, etc.)
-Rey's character veers dangerously close to SJW/Mary-Sue territory
-Frustrating cliffhanger, some loose ends feel like deliberate sequel/spinoff bait, I bet Episode IX will be crammed with filler and split into two parts just like every other Goddamn franchise movie
-Humor is too Reddity and lacks the subtle approach of the originals and even the prequels

Overall 8/10 bretty gud.
>>
>>63793629
You posted it without thinking critically which is almost worse
>>
File: 1403514175908.gif (212 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
1403514175908.gif
212 KB, 501x585
>>63793721
Do you really even need to ask?
>>
ESB > ANH > TFA = ROTJ > Clone Wars (series) > ROTS > Rebels > Clone Wars (movie) > TPM > Ewok movies > Christmas Special > AOTC
>>
>>63784139
You are my brother.
>>
>>63789966

General Hux maybe?
>>
>>63793654
It's more ridiculous for Rey to not only resist his mind control, but turn it back on him. That's the worst part of the movie and made me roll my eyes in the theater.
He's trained by two of the strongest force users to ever exist (Snoke is Plagueis, let's get that straight first), and his grandfather is Space Jesus. He should be on fucking Vader levels of power, not to be overpowered by someone with 0 force training.

Having her resist his mind read is fine. It shows she's sensitive, has potential, and he's not fully trained. Having her turn it around on him?
That's just plain bullshit, and is why I can't help but say she feels like a mary sue the whole movie.
>>
>>63793721
Basically because the big ears and nose reminded people of Ford when he was young.
>>
>>63783610
>>63783638
Upvoted
>>
>>63784577

Luke was barely able to move his lightsaber in the second movie, in the third he was able to mind-trick people. Rey does all that in the first, and she doesn't even have any teaching, Luke at least had Ben give him some Force-for-dummies lessons, Rey gets powerful because Ren pokes around in her mind.
>>
>>63793765
Switch ROTS with TPM and it would be perfect
>>
>>63791896
Mara Jade, of course
>>
>>63793815
Kylo is obviously quite untalanted and frustrated because of it. He's like someone whose parents achieved greatness but is irrelevant
>>
>>63785868

>They completely copied the trench run though

Without any of the suspense.
>>
>>63793815
You all are making Kylo be purportedly much more powerful than he actually is. He has a couple of cool tricks up his sleeve, sure, but he clearly is not in tune with the force as someone with force training from the pre empire era.
>>
Anyone know where i can find the Lin-Manuel Miranda bit of music in the cantina/watering hole scene?

I liked it, downloaded the soundtrack to give it a listen but its not actually on there
>>
>>63793972
>>63793938
It doesn't matter if he's not fully trained.
He's still much MUCH more trained than Rey.

It's poor writing to have her win in the first movie for both the mind fight and lightsaber fight. Build up to it. Make her earn it.
>>
>30 minutes after meeting her Finn tries to get in her pants

But it's cool because the guy is swooning over the girl, if Rey fell for Finn too quickly people would be shitting all over the movie for being sexist.

inb4 'where da white women at?'
>>
>>63794012
I didn't say anything about his training, I said that he is untalented
>>
>>63783082
>>63784379

I kinda like the "Kylo Ren is a little shit " explanation.

He was a over pampered and spoiled Prince, trained in the force.

He has shown some quite complicated abilities that require much training (manipulating the magnetic current in a cold plasma bolt to freeze it, digging into someones memories) but not real STRENGTH in the force.

He found he was weak and skilled and hated it, comparing himself to his Grandfather and Uncle.

And so his lust for power drove him to the Dark Side.
>>
>>63782761
It was better than RotJ but not as good as RotS
>>
>>63794052
Nothing in the movie earlier indicates this.
Nothing about his genetics would indicate this.
Nothing about his training would indicate this.

We see him frustrated that he can't be as strong as Vader. That's setting the bar pretty fucking high, and he's still shown to be way WAY stronger than some random force sensitive with 0 training.
Luke was the son of jedi fucking jesus and couldn't do half the force shit that Rey can do in this, even with 2.5 years of self training.
>>
>>63785527
He was in tears when they landed on Resistence Home Base.

He couldnt manage to walk to see his old friend Luke, knowing he new, and never talked to Lea, unable to deal with the two who new him best, who he knows feels the same loss.

He is breaking inside, anon.
>>
>>63794023
He was in the military his whole life and she was the first person he connected with.

Id be trying to fuck everything that moves if I were him too.
>>
>>63786944
I think it was a mix of angst of Father-murder, and an actual lack of strength.

All his force feats in the movie were skill based, not strength based.

Digging into a mind rather than ordering it to speak

Forcing unconciousness rather than ordering to follow.

Freezing a bolt of cold palsma rather than reflecting or absorbing it with tutaminis.

I think thats why he turned to the dark side. He is incredibly skilled but couldnt deal with not being naturally strong in the force.
>>
>>63782761
There is a difference between you liking it and it being good.
>>
>>63791236
noe friendzone

planet was hollow so no impact third movie reveal

they told us but may have lied in which case who tf knows
>>
>>63794184
>random force sensitive
not how I would describe Luke Skywalker's daughter.
>>
>>63794365
It literally doesn't matter.
She's the granddaughter of jedi jesus
Ben is the grandson of jedi jesus.

They're working from the same pool of OP bullshit. Difference is, Ben has training from two of the most powerful force sensitives to ever exist.
>>
>>63782761
5>6>3>4>7>1>2

Sorry, I just can't rank it higher than A New Hope because it's basically the same story. The movie was good, among greater movies.
>>
>>63784379
Are you retarded? Vader didn't suck using the force in TPM. He at 8 years old was the best podracer in a major city, he was a key character in the battle against the trade federation, single-handedly taking out their command ship. It was obviously midichlorian shenanigans that made him the biggest Gary Stu in fiction. Not even fucking Harry Potter is on the same level as EP1 Anakin when it comes to shitty child-pandering writing.
>>
>>63794365

Still, Luke had months of training and still had to really concentrate to even move his lightsaber when he was stuck in the wompa cave.
>>
Goddammit I wanted to see a Rebel Fleet, not some shitty cuck X-Wings. If they had an engagement with the First Order over the forest planet it would have been cool as shit.

Although it still was p. cool when Poe Dameron and the lads arrived and blew the First Order the fuck out.
>>
>>63794452
> 5>6>3>4>7>1>2

are you fucking autistic? how is 3 > 4?

5>6>4>7>3>1>2

you are spot on about this being basically A New Hope though. This one had corny 1 liners and lots of irrelevant throw backs to the OT that honestly just slowed things down.
>>
>>63791646
fuck you, all he did was "WHOOOOOOOOO" "I DID IT" DID YOU SEE THAT????" "WHAT??????" "STOP!!!!!!!"

literally a comic relief nigger.
>>
>>63783082
>what is baptism by fire
>>
>>63791763
Imo it's too obvious. I think she is something else for ultimate twist-factor.
>>
>>63791646
see
>>63794640

he was OOGA BOOGA from the beginning with those lines

all he needed was a "sheeeeeeeit" to complete the deal once han solo called him out about girls knowing everything calling his bluff about him being a big deal resistance fighter
>>
>>63794184
How the fuck is he shown to be stronger than any force sensitive when the only force sensitive he interacts with beats his ass without training. Face it, he's a weak ass busta who went full r9k with his beta uprising
>>
File: 1334658758226.jpg (3 KB, 124x121) Image search: [Google]
1334658758226.jpg
3 KB, 124x121
>>63782761

It's not better than the first three, but it's way, WAY better than any of the prequels in every aspect.

It was good and enjoyable and the best star wars film in decades.

The only thing that bothered me was the forced BM/WF pairing again by Abrams which just felt so manipulative, but that's probably from reading so much /pol/, every time I see it it bothers me now. It just seems like for a franchise with the largest white male fanbase in existence they gave white males no character to identify with, which in a way is kind of a betrayal. Feel bad for the white kids who are seeing this as their first star wars with no han or luke to pretend to be.
>>
>>63784379
>even Vader did in Phantom Menace

he was literally 5 years old!
>>
>>63791753
I thought he was hitting himself to gain power from pain with the dark side of the force.
>>
>>63782761
ITT: people thinking their opinions matter.
They don't. No one cares what you personally thought about it, because if they did you wouldn't be posting here.
Your opinions are already influenced by external forces, why delude yourself into thinking this warrants any kind of support or discussion.
It simply does not matter what you thought.
>>
>>63794437
He is Leia's and Han's son. Now we don't know how "force genetics" works in star wars (and we shouldn't since that will just end up in a midichlorian-like farce), but Leia seems to have a very minimal talent in the force and Han had none.
>>
>>63794881
Poe Dameron was white. I'm really hoping they'll expand more into his story in ep 8.
>>
>>63794640
>>63794788

if he was white, you would not mind him being the funny everyman character.
>>
>>63795192
if he was white he would have been a better character
>>
File: 1407659244200.jpg (19 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
1407659244200.jpg
19 KB, 500x353
>>63795192
sorry if I'm not happy with jews shoving political propaganda and bigblackcock praise into the mind of the entire fucking world.
>>
>>63795271
U seem to be the only one with bbc on your mind desu senpai
>>
File: forceawakens24-xlarge.jpg (69 KB, 985x1280) Image search: [Google]
forceawakens24-xlarge.jpg
69 KB, 985x1280
>>63795121
He's Hispanic.
The only white guy worth rooting for was the general. Liked his speech with very subtle similarities with triumph of will.
>>
>>63782761
a glib facsimile
>>
The freighter scene was absolutely terrible. They could have cut it and that terrible Irish actor and had the movie under two hours.

Regarding the final Luke scene, that was also terrible, unbearable actually. They should've pulled an Empire Strikes back ending and have it show Rey and Chewie preparing to fly to the coordinates.

Those two scenes, the worst in my opinion, just feel like disney add ons. The rest was bearable but these were just the worst.
>>
File: 1450244877936.jpg (2 MB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
1450244877936.jpg
2 MB, 2400x2400
>>63795311
More people actually......people see what they want to see.
>>
I am now convinced that Reddit took over /tv/ and there's a couple of old and newfags left.
>>
This was a step by step A New Hope
>>
>>63795400
Finn is still the closest thing Rey has to a love interest. In fact, if Finn was played by a white actor, nobody would doubt he's the typical emaculasted male often paired with a "strong female character"
>>
>>63795121

He's Hispanic, not white.
>>
>>63795192

Yeah, that's pretty accurate desu.
>>
>>63793519
But they're going to become siblings later on, you know it's like poetry
>>
They had some dank memes. It was pretty chill.
>>
>>63795346
I wish they put in some character development or backstory instead of those damned Rathtars.

Cut the Snoke stuff out too and only hint at his presence at the very end and it would've been a much more effective movie.

If you're gonna boast about having practical effects, maybe don't have a major character that's entirely CG and generic looking.
>>
>>63795072
Leia was described as the next hope for the Galaxy if Luke failed.
She has just as much potential as Luke, she just never trains.
>>
>>63795781
Precisely, Can't believe that I forgot about the abomination that Snoke was.
>>
>>63785372
>Also, loved that he was a fucking dork Vader wannabe, would have hated it if he was really just Vader 2.0.>>63784526

This. I liked that he tries really hard to be a badass Sith but always ends up just flipping his shit and completely losing composure as soon as things don't go his way. He's clearly not totally confident in himself and his abilities, that leaves a lot of room for development in the next two episodes and that could be very interesting.
>>
>>63795567
Oscar Isaac is a white guy who happen to born on Guatemala.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.