[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Does He Wear The Mask?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: kylo-ren-header.jpg (48 KB, 640x379) Image search: [Google]
kylo-ren-header.jpg
48 KB, 640x379
100% Serious Question not memeing. Vader needed the mask to keep him alive. But SPOILER (kylo takes his mask off during the film) and it doesn't appear necessary for any function. Do sith just like to wear masks sometimes for fun? Or is he trying to emulate his father?
>>
>>63775445
Intimidation and protection. It's a full helmet.
>>
for you
>>
>>63775445
He took off his mask and got slashed in the face
think about it
>>
Why do the stormtroopers wear their helmets?
>>
>>63775445
Because this movie is a shitty nostalgia cash grab and they wanted the main antagonist to resemble darth vader. That is seriously the reason.
>>
>>63775511
apparaently only for smoke lol
>>
File: AdamDriver.jpg (78 KB, 640x933) Image search: [Google]
AdamDriver.jpg
78 KB, 640x933
If you had face as ugly as his, you would wear mask too.
>>
>>63775498
that would have happend either way, ightsabers can cut through a mask
>>
>>63775606
those ears lmao
>>
>>63775606
This desu. The mask is to protect us, not him.
>>
>>63775606
Did he die when he took off the mask?
>>
File: sith op.jpg (138 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sith op.jpg
138 KB, 1280x720
>>63775445
Sith have worn masks for tens of thousands of years.
>>
>>63775743
is this fan art?
>>
All these posts not one right answer.

HE WAS IMITATING VADER YOU LITTLE SHITS.

"take off that mask, you don't need it" - Han.
>>
>>63775739
no
>>
>>63775767
Intro trailer for the Sith Imperial side in SWTOR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgmH9Vv2-I
>>
>>63775445
The way I saw it ren was a sith fanboy that was literally trying to be edgy and emulate vader with the mask. I also think he liked the helmet since it allowed him to distance himself from his former identity as Solo's son.
>>
I'm pretty sure he wears the mask because he's a Vader fanboy. That's it really. It may have some practical application like the stormtrooper masks as well, but generally he just wants to look and sound like Vader.
>>
because he took off the mask, did han die?
>>
probably to look as baller as possible. He isnt intimidating like Anakin.
>>
File: revan v nihilus.jpg (364 KB, 1600x1099) Image search: [Google]
revan v nihilus.jpg
364 KB, 1600x1099
>>63775445
Coming from Disney's perspective it's to be a Vader fanboy and emulate it.

Coming from a lore perspective >>63775739
is right, most major Sith figures in the Old Republic era wore masks because the dark side makes you one ugly fucker and it increases your edginess by 100%.
>>
>>63775970
wrong quote, meant the one below.
>>
>>63775743

Not cannon
>>
Aesthetics.
>>63775511
Environmental protection and impact protection.
>>
>>63775803
But it would have been extremely painful...
>>
>>63776034
no, he doesn't actually need it
it's just for intimidation and mimicking vader
>>
>>63775445
>trying to emulate his father
So you didn't see the movie then.
>>
>>63775970

Lore-wise the masks are there because most Sith Lords try to distance themselves from "who they were" and embrace the new identity that comes with a Darth title.

Basically they reinvent themselves and a masks serves as a nice way of getting a new "face" to go with it.

For the same reason a lot if sith lords have facial injuries, obviously they didn't get them on purpose but they serve the same narrative/character point and that is to give them a new "face".

In Ep7 we can see Kylo being comfortable with his new identity when the mask is on but as soon as he removes it he looks and feels vulnerable because his past and former identity is catching up with him.

A parallel to that is when Luke removes Vader's mask and we see him frail and vulnerable for the first time and he embraces his original personality again.
>>
>>63776008
What do you mean it isn't canon?

It is an active license continually putting out new game content. If that shit wasn't canon, why on earth would people still be making content for it?

Only the post-ROTJ content was moved into the "Legends" de-canonization.
>>
>>63775445
Cause he's obviously meant to look like a crusader. He's also ugly as fuck and uncontrolably evil.

You get the message
>>
>>63775445
He's a Vader/Sith weaboo doing edgy cosplay.
>>
In all fairness, do any of you know how comfortable a good mask is?

It's incredible.
>>
File: RenSucks1.jpg (633 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
RenSucks1.jpg
633 KB, 1920x1080
>>63775445
> Faps over Darth Vader
> Heavily implied he was connected to what happened with Rey in Jakku.

But my theory is simply described by this picture.
>>
>>63775739
it was extremely painful.
>>
>>63775743
why are there so many revan
>>
>>63775445
I didn't watch this movie, but wasn't he some sort of Vader fanboy?
That would explain why he dresses like him
>>
>>63776242
That lightsaber tho.
>>
>>63776320
Yes, hes a vader fanboy and gets pissy when he doesn't get his way. It was great,
>>
>>63775445
I'm pretty sure it's to be a fanboy. The entire First Order is all about hunting Luke Skywalker. Where as the Empire thought Vader and the Force was stupid, the First Order has it at the forefront.
>>
>>63775615
not if that multiple layered super heavy helmet (not mask) is one of a dozen+ different alloys in star wars that can resist lightsabers
>>
>>63775767
jesus christ. do people just live under rocks? that shit has been around for like 5 years
>>
>>63775445

When he had the mask off, people saw that he was scared and weak. He needs a mask to hide his glaring flaws.
>>
Same reason a knight, a samurai, superhero, gladiator wears a mask.
Protection and it looks badass
>>
>>63775812
This. Also it's a helmet so protection since he didn't finish his training and wasn't very strong yet.
>>
>>63776564

100%

This is a character literally driven by his weaknesses. When he frets and throws rage tantrums to the scene where he confronts and kills dear old dad
>>
Remember to buy the official toys :)
>>
>>63776279
for fin
>>
>>63775445

Symbolism
The mask is to intimidate people and also hides his true self
when he takes the mask off, it's at the point in the movie where he starts seeing rey as a threat (not only does she have force powers but she' bonded with his dad who has has parent issues with)

he becomes more insecure, vulnerable and unstable over the course of the movie and his mask is representative of that
>>
File: qt.gif (2 MB, 449x500) Image search: [Google]
qt.gif
2 MB, 449x500
Why Does She Wear The Smile?
>>
>>63775445
The mask looked pretty heavy, perhaps weight training like piccolo? Or is it just me..
>>
>>63775554
i'd say he looks more like darth revan
>>
>>63779163

not a good look
>>
>>63775445
Look at him. He's ugly as fuck.

Also, he's a massive Vader fanboy.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.