[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mary Sue.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: Rey.jpg (221 KB, 640x958) Image search: [Google]
Rey.jpg
221 KB, 640x958
Mary Sue.
>>
>>63769055
What does that even mean?
>>
10/10 would offer her my willy.
>>
>>63769109
it basically means that they try to portray the character with no flaws. she never failed at anything throughout the entire movie.
>>
Ma-Rey Sue.
>>
>>63769222
Except when Kylo kicked her ass and took her prisoner you mean?
>>
>>63769222
>never failed at anything

Except the entire movie??? She didn't even succeed in killing kylo in the end
>>
>>63769343
and then she instantly learned jedi mind tricks to escape? kylo couldn't even read her thoughts, forcing him to run off crying to snoke.
>>
File: you ARE1.jpg (93 KB, 623x743) Image search: [Google]
you ARE1.jpg
93 KB, 623x743
>>63769055
>>
The only mary-sue thing about her character is that she beat Ren in a lightsaber duel. Which you know, he had been seriously injured prior to their fight. I don't like how quickly and effectively she used the force but when they confirm it's Luke's daughter it'll make more sense.
>>
>>63769055
The series has had a literally word for word chosen one before man
>>
>Failed to not be a poor scrap herder living off measly scraps
>Failed to see Finn as a liar
>Failed to accept reality that no one is coming for her
>Failed at not getting captured by Han and Chewie
>Failed at not releasing those tentacle things
>Failed at convincing Finn to stay
>Failed at accepting her destiny and taking the lightsaber
>Failed at taking the safety off the weapon before trying to fire
>Failed at not getting subdued and taken prisoner by Kylo Ren
>Failed at killing Kylo Ren

>Being mad that The hero overcomes obstacles in their way

Who else is a mary sue, Batman? Superman? Corbin Dallas? Furiosa? Rick O'connell?
>>
If Rey is a Mary Sue then Luke Skywalker is a Mary Sue (which he is but that's okay because it's the point)

is captain america a mary sue? he also has no flaws.

I just get a feeling that you don't know what a mary sue is
>>
>>63769751
kylo read her mind, did you watch the movie? he knew what she dreamed about and clearly was in her head.
>>
>>63770107
If they cover that Kylo Ren is actually still pretty shit with the force and learning that will make episode 7 Rey's powerlevel acceptable

I will say I love the Rey/Finn bait and switch JJ pulled
>>
>>63769055
A little bit. A little bit.
>>
>>63769858
>The only mary-sue thing about her character is that she beat Ren in a lightsaber duel.

And how she was the best mechanic.
And best pilot.
And had no discernible character flaws.
And was able to use advanced force techniques with no training.
>>
>>63770208
Rey didn't need any training to use the force.

Luke fucking Skywalker needed it.
>>
>>63770227
Yeah, and then she blocked it out and he couldn't get to the map. She turned it around on him within 10 seconds.
>>
File: bc2.jpg (229 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
bc2.jpg
229 KB, 717x880
>>63769769
>tfw i thought it was just a meme
>tfw it's actually reality
>>
>>63769055
waifu
>>
>>63770208
Luke trained with Obi-Wan during episode 4 to be able to harness the force. Rey just assumed she was a jedi and bam, she's using mind tricks.
>>
Question, /tv/:

Did she only beat Kylo Ren because he was injured?
>>
>>63770107
Its not so much that she is perfect, as it is that any problems she encounters are easily and quickly overcome. Even when she ostensibly fails at something the consequences are minor or non existent. Compared to the other main characters, her struggle and failures seem trivial.
>>
>>63770328
Yeah, she's obviously extremely keen to the force and probably Lukes daughter or something. Ren was made to be someone who's struggling with pretty much everything, it's no surprise she could overpower him
>>
>The trash picker falls in love with a janitor

POTTERY
>>
>>63770235
I'm withholding final judgement until we see more of Rey's past they briefly mentioned. What if she IS Luke's daughter, what if she is the granddaughter of Obi Wan from some forbidden love between him and the library chick from AotC? We don't know enough to know if she is just some random person "lol I have the force" or some character with a familial link to a force user.

>>63770286
>Mechanic
Spent her life harvesting mechanical scraps, it's not a stretch she learned how they work

>Pilot
Got me there a bit, who knows if she ever flew anything before or if she is just a natural

>Flaws
Who of the new 3 had flaws? Her flaws was her reluctance to see the obvious that no one was coming for her, to see Finn as a liar and to have the strength to confront what she saw when she grabbed the lightsaber initially. She also took a pretty bad mental beating at the hands of Kylo Ren before she was able to shake him off. Her flaws could easily be described as self-doubt, bad judge of character, unwillingness to let others get close to her...
>>
>>63769055
HOW THE FUCK CANT YOU RETARDS REALISE THAT SHE HAS HAD TRAINING WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER, HOLY FUCK THIS BOARD IS RETARDED
>>
>>63770286
"advanced force techniques"

such as coercing someone else after several failed attempts and...just rebuffing Ren once?

You make it sound like she was able to lift up the entire Death Star 3.0 once she learned about the force.
>>
>>63770343
This is the only good thing to come out of watching this movie today, post more high test
>>
>>63770434
She casts Force buffs on herself when they were lightsaber locked
>>
So is she really that bad? I hear she's set up as the main protagonist.
>>
>>63770286
>And best pilot
She is Luke's daughter, what were you expecting?
>>
>>63770516
This would make some sense if she was Luke's daughter. Dunno why she would block out Jedi training, though.
>>
>>63770437
All the main cast had incredible luck from Poe and Finn escaping The First Order to nobody dying from the tentacle things to no one dying in any of the storm trooper encounters... Han was the only one who didn't get lucky
>>
>>63770567
She's certainly one of the 2 main protagonist, yeah. Just like Leia was.
>>
>>63770496
>Who of the new 3 had flaws?
Finn. Oscar Isaac was too awesome at his job too. He should have been ridden with more guilt or a sense of failure for betraying the Resistance.

>Her flaws was her reluctance to see the obvious that no one was coming for her, to see Finn as a liar and to have the strength to confront what she saw when she grabbed the lightsaber initially. She also took a pretty bad mental beating at the hands of Kylo Ren before she was able to shake him off. Her flaws could easily be described as self-doubt, bad judge of character, unwillingness to let others get close to her...

They could be described as that. It would simply mean she is a pretty weak and underdeveloped character.
>>
>>63770592
She knew where the island she found Luke was, Kylo Ren saw it in her head, the information was probably removed by someone else
>>
>>63770516
How does having some training when you are young justify beating someone who had been training for years, who killed Lukes other students, and is someone who Snoke wanted for his power. Its not impossible, it just stretches believability and makes Rey seem overpowered.
>>
Nearly every Star Wars character is exceptionally good at something and gets incredibly lucky.

Luke is an amazing pilot despite living his entire life on a farmland.

Han is someone who survives nearly every bad encounter he has due to "lol charm and luck"

All of these characters are mary sues, why the fuck would any new people be different?
>>
>>63770678
Except for Leia and Finn.

They're the damsels-in-distress.
>>
so was she Lukes kid or not?
>>
>>63770671
She also knew how she felt about Han (how she felt he was a father figure) and knew she felt lonely all the time and had trouble sleeping due to her loneliness.

But yeah the only info he got was preordained. Sure.
>>
>>63770622
No, I mean. It seems she's the Luke here.

And that bugs me. I am so sick of "KICKASS FEMALE LEADS XD"

I didn't mind the black dude being in because I liked Attack the Bloc
>>
>>63770674
>he can't understand that Ren was weakened by the bowcaster
>>
>>63770472
>Yeah, she's obviously extremely keen to the force and probably Lukes daughter or something.
kylo ren is leia's daughter, that's not a valid argument.
>>
>>63770710
Probably, but she may be unrelated.
>>
>>63770519
>such as coercing someone else after several failed attempts
She gets it on the second try.
>and...just rebuffing Ren once?
Defeating a trained Jedi moments after holding a lightsabre for the first time is a big Sue moment.

She's also able to block Kylo's mind reading stuff with absolutely no prior experience or knowledge of the technique.

Even after getting some guidance and practicing in his own time Luke struggled to bring his lightsabre to his hand from a distance before proper training.
>>
>>63770610
that was literally exactly the same in ANH
>>
>>63770700
Not really. When you meet Leia she defies Vader and mocks him to his face, and when she's rescued she actually helps Han/Luke escape. She's also obviously some sort of military strategist because she's so highly regarded and respected in the rebellion.

Finn is actually, though. He's in trouble for most of the movie and has actual problems and conflicts. Except for the fact that he's against killing and then turns around to murder a bunch of troopers.
>>
>>63770717
Her gender is never mentioned in a negative nor positive light. Her gender is never mentioned beyond calling her a "her" or "she". She isn't Wonder Woman or the Powerpuff Girls
>>
>>63770735
Right, but Kylo was also heavily torn between the light/dark side, which messed with his head. Rey didn't have as many problems.
>>
>>63769055
literally perfect
>>
>>63770717
What's wrong with kickass female leads, though? Leia was a kickass female lead, and Finn/Han were both awesome, too.

>>63770749
>Defeating a trained jedi

He isn't a "trained" anything. Snoke specifically mentions FINISHING his training at the end, so he's not 100% learned on anything regarding force/lightsaber duels.

Ren also gets in her head originally, noting the fact that she felt Han was a father figure and other things, before she gets so emotional that the force kicks in.
>>
>>63769055
Not really a unique criticism since every movie has had one. (Hint: it's the main Jedi in every movie)
>>
>>63770842
>>63770774

I'm just sick of them. Between this, Divergent, Hunger Games, fucking Jupiter Ascending, etc

I just want a cool male hero again.
>>
>>63769055
Nice. Did you just learn that term on TV Tropes?
>>
>>63770286
>best pilot
Well shes technically a Skywalker
>>
>>63770610
The story demonstrated that Finn was in over his head and he paid for it with nearly dying, Luke failed at life so much he went into exile, Kylo was made into a bitch. Compared to them the story isn't nearly as harsh on Rey
>>
>>63770842
>He isn't a "trained" anything. Snoke specifically mentions FINISHING his training at the end, so he's not 100% learned on anything regarding force/lightsaber duels.

Except Leia mentions that Luke trained him and has disappeared because he failed to prevent him from turning to the dark side.

>Ren also gets in her head originally, noting the fact that she felt Han was a father figure and other things, before she gets so emotional that the force kicks in.

Thank God for plot armor.
>>
>>63770866
This movie had fucking two of them. You sound like a whiny motherfucker right now.
>>
>>63770866
>4 popular movies have a female lead

Boo fucking who, go watch other movies
>>
>>63770918
Except from what I'm hearing they're non-force users in a Star Wars story.

Aka glorified sidekicks.
>>
>>63770900
Yeah, Luke WAS training him when he left to join Snoke. There's nothing to suggest he's fully trained on anything other than words, which you disregard as "plot armor"
>>
>>63770967
Why does every force user have to be a male hero? Finn is a hero despite not being force sensitive, he's the one who initiates the plan to save Rey and blow up the Death Star thing.

Han has never been force sensitive but is still an iconic hero.
>>
>>63770989
You're putting fully trained into my mouth, faggot. I said trained, and as you admit he's been trained by at least two learned people with experience with the Force.
>>
>>63771108
Yeah, he was trained somewhat as a child and then clearly still had lessons to learn from Snoke. He's not as powerful as other force users BECAUSE he's torn between the Dark/Light side. It's not hard to understand that. He literally fucking says it to Han.
>>
>>63770866
>I just want a cool male hero again.
you could literally just watch any movie made over the past 100 years. stop complaining.
>>
>>63770866
So you're literally mad not because they force the "grrrl power" shit, but because there is a large representation of female heroes? You do see the irony in you literally being the same as the SJWs you are pissed at, right?
>>
>>63770989
>here's nothing to suggest he's fully trained on anything other than words, which you disregard as "plot armor"

He stop a laser beam using the force.
He can read minds using the force.
He can torture people using the force.
He deflects laser beams with his lightsabre.

There's plenty to suggest he's trained on things "other than words", dumbass.
>>
>>63769055

Poe is the real Mary Sue. But I'm ok with that.

>Oh no we are losing this battle
>"Hold on chumps let me frag these charlies"
>Destroys entire enemy fleet
>>
>>63771173
refer to >>63771144
>>
>>63771047
You're not getting my point.

Non-force users aren't shit in any Star Wars story. Whilst beloved for his performance Han Solo wasn't a focus of the story, he was a side character. A damn cool one, but a side character none the less.

The real story was about Luke and Darth Vader.

Just as it appears the "REAL" plot will be about this bitch and Kylo.

Between this and the upcoming all-girls Ghost Busters remake I feel bad for little boys growing up in these times.

>>63771146
Ah, this argument. I love it. "YOU HAD YOUR TIME, NOW SHUT UP AND LET US HAVE OURS"

>>63771168
I'm bitching about "grrrl power", anon. The problem with "badass female heroes XD" is that any hardship they face will end up being a huge fucking controversy. Look at the people bitching about Lara Croft in the remakes.
>>
>>63771144
>Yeah, he was trained somewhat as a child and then clearly still had lessons to learn from Snoke.
Getting beaten by someone with no training at all? Guess he has a lot of training to complete, even if it's suggested many times before that he has been trained enough to become proficient with many aspects of the force.
>He's not as powerful as other force users BECAUSE he's torn between the Dark/Light side.
Doubt.jpg
>It's not hard to understand that. He literally fucking says it to Han.
So why didn't he hulk out once he surrendered to the dark side and killed his father? When Luke relented in Return of the Jedi he was able to take his father down easily.
>>
>>63770735
Did you miss half the Kylo scenes where he is basically a child who cannot control his rage and loses his shit at all possible moments, he has a temper and admits to Han he's basically in the middle of a mental breakdown. Whatever power Kylo had gets overshadowed by his inability to control himself. They lose track of a Tie fighter tore to pieces and he immediately goes into a rage destruction fit. He has no self control, and she's familiar with Jedi abilities and techniques, she assumed they were myths before her awakening with the sabre.. and did you not notice it took her four times to even get the mind trick to work on a goon? Judging by the flashbacks, Kylo is Leia's daughter but he's also got Han, and it appears Rey is Luke's daughter or someone of equal power so much so that when his temple is destroyed by teenage Ren becoming so obsessed with his grandfather he leaves her where he thinks no one will find her..
>>
>>63770286
none of those seems out of character for a skywalker, especially considering Anakin's abilities
>>
>>63771240
>Ah, this argument. I love it. "YOU HAD YOUR TIME, NOW SHUT UP AND LET US HAVE OURS"
and why is this not valid?
>>
>>63769055
Nope
>>
>>63770989
>There's nothing to suggest he's fully trained on anything other than words
>>63771144
>Yeah, he was trained somewhat as a child and then clearly still had lessons to learn from Snoke.

kek someone help him
>>
If you are white and support this piece of shit cultural marxist propaganda "film" you are a brainless brainwashed faggot ass sellout c.uckold pile of garbage.

Fuck you.
>>
>>63770235
It was a bad bait and switch that forced an unnecessary divide in two characters. You could fuse Poe and Fin and literally nothing would be lost.

I was sad to see Fin be such a pointless character. As a fan of force-less Star Wars, I was disappointed by how things turned out.
>>
>>63771250

>After being seriously wounded and becoming very emotionally unbalanced.
>>
>>63770866
last I checked there's still plenty of them, this one just happens to be female but beyond the New Order referring to her as the girl there's nothing about it. I person like the fact that there's a female protagonist that's not forced. Which is something that should happen, instead of forcing male characters to be female or color swapped. I'll take a Ripley and a Rey, and then go see Creed and Spectre.
>>
File: 1450355067892.gif (3 MB, 400x202) Image search: [Google]
1450355067892.gif
3 MB, 400x202
>>63771314
>>
Why do I feel more connection with the prequel characters than I do these new guys? I just wanted someone as rewarding to watch as ewan mcgregor's obi wan, instead the next best thing is..... The pilot I guess?
>>
>>63771271
Because of those "badass grrrl power" ladies all of them act like a plank of goddamn wood and face no struggles.

>>63771331
Enjoy your Spectre while it lasts. They're casting a female 007 next.
>>
>>63771240
You still sound so very, very dumb. Just like Han wasn't a "side character" in the original movies, Finn isn't a side character in this one. He's one of the first people we met, and is integral to what goes on.

The fact that you're this bent out of shape because a girl knows the force is equally dumb because she isn't the first fucking girl to be force sensitive in Star Wars.

>>63771250
Maybe because he was literally shot in the stomach moments after that?

Obviously whatever I say will just be mocked (like him being torn between dark/light, which is a legitimate reason that you mock) so I'm fine with agreeing to disagreeing.
>>
File: 1450311525387.gif (2 MB, 154x230) Image search: [Google]
1450311525387.gif
2 MB, 154x230
>>63771361
>>
>>63771322
>and becoming very emotionally unbalanced.

If I see this piece of shit excuse again I'm going to spit on the next person I see wearing a Rey Star Wars T-Shirt.
>>
>>63771386
>Obviously whatever I say will just be mocked (like him being torn between dark/light, which is a legitimate reason that you mock) so I'm fine with agreeing to disagreeing.

So you're content that your arguments are weak enough that you've reached an impasse and are bowing out of the argument?

How gracious of you.
>>
>>63771361
>Because of those "badass grrrl power" ladies all of them act like a plank of goddamn wood and face no struggles.
you could literally say exactly the same thing about a whole bunch of male leads
>>
>>63771435
Totally man, you fully won this internet argument we had on an image board. I truly bow to your majesty.
>>
>>63771386
Han was definitely a side character. As all non-force users are in Star Wars. Just how things are in this franchise.

I hate it, too. But fuck, 'muh jedi'.

>>63771405
Great response. I'm saying they're injecting female "grrrl power" heroines into every franchise and you can't really counter, can you?

>>63771463
Yes, you can. I don't think anyone will defend the prequel acting. But at least you got to see Hayden get his shit chopped up.
>>
>>63771489
Good.
>>
>>63771496
>I'm saying they're injecting female "grrrl power" heroines into every franchise and you can't really counter, can you?
what i'm saying is that that's a straw man, you fuck. christ, i bet you even go on KiA too.
>>
>>63771463
Han was killed by his own son, Finn almost died, Luke fucked his life up, Poe got tortured and failed against Ren unlike Rey, Kylo was placed in a emotionally agonizing position of losing hope for redemption and killing his own father and he lost to a beginner(which will probably fuck up his emotional state further).
>>
>>63771496
He really wasn't, but okay. You haven't really made a solid point as to why it's bad that a female lead is a hero aside from "oh my god I JUST WANNA SEE GUYS BE HEROES AGAIN" despite the fact that 95% of movies out still feature men super hero leads.

In fact, let's just look at Decembers movie releases:

MI-5 (male lead)
In the Heart of the Sea (male lead)
The Big Short (Male leads)
Star Wars (2 male/1 female)
Point Break (male leads)
The Revenant (Male lead)
The Hateful Eight (90% male leads)

So please, tell me what the fuck is so wrong that maybe 10 movies a year have kickass girls in them. Grow up.
>>
>>63771530
Is it, then? All female ghost busters, female 007, this new jedi bitch, etc

The future bleeds estrogen, bitchboy. Accept it or not, I'm right.
>>
File: 1413430538077.jpg (82 KB, 960x629) Image search: [Google]
1413430538077.jpg
82 KB, 960x629
I felt this movie took on too much baggage and a lot of stuff was just hand waving and done for the sake of nostalgia. Let's go through it shall we.

1. Why is everybody looking for Skywalker.

2. Why didn't nobody notice BB-8's little trail in the sand.

3. Why was Finn allowed to roam free after being told to report to Chrome trooper's time out

4. Who was Max von Sydow and why did he have the map to Luke.

5. Who trained Snoke as a Sith. Why isn't he Palpy. Is he deformed or just and alien?

6. Why did Solo and Chewy just happen to be in the area.

7. Why did they have the ability to track the Falcon but the First Order didn't. Did they give them a head start?

8. Why did they blowed up so many planets. Was one of them Coruscunt? Did their fleet get destroyed too? Were they at war or was the First Order just dicks?

9. Why didn't they explain to Rei why the lightsaber was important. They just tell her not to worry about it until later.

10. What happened to Chrome trooper? Why did Chrome trooper help them, tell them they were making a big mistake, then disappear along with apparently all other personnel as soon as the Resistance showed up.

11. How did R2 know to wake up.

These are all the ones I could remember. Still better than the prequels but this movie just played it so fucking safe by copying ANH. Everything about this movie was "right" but I can't help but feel underwhelmed because it's almost entirely devoid of new ideas. I guess if Disney recoups its money maybe the sequels will try something different.

7/10 - A solid "alright."
>>
>>63771580
Leia had her home planet blown up, and she lost her husband. Try again.
>>
File: 730.jpg (132 KB, 1024x762) Image search: [Google]
730.jpg
132 KB, 1024x762
What I watched: Star Wars 7
What I expected: Disney version of Star Wars with shit ton of bloom and CGI
What I got: Star Wars 4: Blacked edition + Nostalgia Goggles
>>
>>63771614
who
h
o

cares
a
r
e
s
>>
>>63771580
Leia lost her home in the originals, had her son turn to the dark side and also lost her husband.

Rey was abandoned by her family and forced to live off scraps (literally).
>>
>>63771660

Great response.

Tell you what, I care.
>>
>Rey realizes she forgot to place her level up points and feats in during duel
>Picks Force Aura, Juyo Style
>Dings back to full HP and Force Power
>Goes Mace Windu on that faggot
>>
>>63771615
You are literally too fucking stupid to be watching movies
>>
>>63771615
>2. Why didn't nobody notice BB-8's little trail in the sand.

Wind blows sand. Tracks often won't stay there too long. By the time they learned that a droid had the map the tracks were probably gone.
>>
>Who are you?
>I'm Nah-Wan.

What did she mean by this?
>>
>>63770208
Yeah except Luke got his hand cut off the first time he fought Vader and it was only after years of training and experience that he was able to confront Vader and defeat him
>>
So wait, was she Luke's daughter? Because they heavily implied it but never confirmed it
>>
>>63769055
Where's the porn?
>>
>>63771615

>3

Finn's meeting took place. He was checked for past signs of rebellion and his blaster was also checked.
>>
>>63770208
You're missing the part where Luke had Obi Wan and Yoda train him.
>>
>>63769751

You're an idiot who wasjt paying attention.

There is clearly so much to Rey thst we don't know. Being a Skywalker gives you an edge with the force I'm sure.
>>
>>63770900
except Leia mentions Luke was training with him but he fell into the ideas of the dark side, she didn't say "Luke fully trained our son as a master", hell Snoke isn't even finished training with him, and he's obviously mid-teens in the flashback to the betrayal. Also, that's not plot armor, she never thought of him as a father figure, she thought of him as a great pilot, but even she refused his offer of being second mate, because she respected him but she didn't have a father figure complex. She had respect for a person she heard stories and legends about, but nothing in the suggests she looks to him as a father, especially considering she isn't even with him for half the fucking movie.
>>
>>63771722
Alright, I'll grant you this even though when they blow up Poe's x-wing BB-8 is literally just over the sand dune from it.

>>63771786
I thought he was just told to report for those things. He had his blaster with him when he rescued Poe.
>>
>>63771693
why? why do you lose sleep over inane shit like this, when you have a russian premier that thinks he can win a nuclear war (along with the most intense US/Russia saber rattling in decades and an expansionist Russia), the middle east in flames, we're finally starting to feel the effects of climate change, a rise in far right populism worldwide, and this massive fucking refugee crisis in europe?
>>
>>63771799
>implying she's even confirmed to be Skywalker yet

You could've just said she was one of those younglings with Kylo, you moron.
>>
>>63771615
1. Because he's a Jedi Master at this point, and can easily help sway the coming war in the rebels favor

2. Wind shifts sand

3. He wasn't? She says he was scheduled for reconditioning after meeting, and was probably told to report to duty.

4. "Max von Sydow plays a character named Lor San Tekka, a man in possession of information vital to the quest of finding the elusive Luke Skywalker."

5. We have no idea if Snoke is a sith. Just that he's force sensitive. Ren isn't a sith, so why would Snoke be one automatically?

6. They noticed the Falcon on their scanners (they say this)

7. They also say the First Order are probably right behind them

8. Just like in Episode 4, they destroy the planets to make a statement of just how powerful they are. There is a huge speech that explains this immediately prior to blowing up the planets.

9. Because we need plot for Episode 8

10. She was held hostage, opened the gates, and then probably thrown in the trash room (as they say they are going to do)

11. My theory is that Luke shut down R2 so he wouldn't reveal his location, and when he sensed Han had died (as Leia did), he contacted R2 using the foooooorce because he was ready to come out of hiding.

Honestly, at the end of the day a lot of it can be answered with typical "movie plot magic", but yeah.

I agree that this movie played it safe and was pretty much fan service, but I think the studio needed to do that in order to please the fans that were scorned during 1-3. I'm hoping episode 8 takes more risks and is more original as well.
>>
>>63771703
Kinda rustled me the wrong way. It's just stupid to see that kind of thing; no matter how shit kylo is, he still had years of training.
Luke had to do a shitload of training too to become even slightly skilled with the force or a lightsaber.

Why would they just give her so much magics?
>>
>>63771173
and an untrained Luke could deflect a laser fire into the death star port, what's your point? Luke had an hour of training from Ben before he bit the dust and could mess around with energy weapons to the point of directing them. So there's nothing to suggest that, hell, he wasn't even trained and he could still force move the lightsaber on Hoth. So that means literally everything he did could be done by someone with an hour of training at most..
>>
>>63771667
My point isn't that women don't experience suffering, its just that in this movie Rey suffers less from consequences and overcomes her problems easier then the others. And Finn had a much worse background.
>>
>>63771853

Yeah, but I think she'll end up being either Kylos twin or Lukes accidental baby. Unless you meant spoiler wise. In that case I'd apologise, but this is /tv/ so
>>
>>63771864
Well, she was already pretty skilled at using her electric sword/handheld weapon, thing. You don't need to be fully trained in how to sword fight with a saber, you need to be trained in how to use the force.

But, as we've seen in the originals, the force can come out in highly emotional moments. Not a stretch to think that happened here for Rey.
>>
>>63770208
But he's completely wrong in his next film so...
>>
File: young-boy-with-autism.jpg (21 KB, 283x393) Image search: [Google]
young-boy-with-autism.jpg
21 KB, 283x393
>>63771361
>They're casting a female 007 next.
>>
>>63771920
Finn overcame his problems pretty fuckin quick, I think. He went from "oh man i dont want to kill anyone" to murdering storm troopers left and right. There wasn't ever a moment of torment with him other than him muttering "you don't know what I've been through".

Other than that, he was a hero who fought and succeeded nearly the entire movie.
>>
>her breasts constantly bouncing around as she runs
wew lad
>>
>>63771845
A) Because I'm Canadian and couldn't care less about what happens to the world at a higher level as I am incapable of solving any real world problem of that size
B) Because the middle east has been in flames since the fucking 90's
C) Because nothing will ultimate change the world's mind about climate change and we're too scared to study the full array of changes, not to mention how corrupt academia and government funded research is and what a lucrative platform "eco friendly" is for politicians
D) Because the far left is way more retarded than the far right in it's glory days and hopefully it can reign you dumb fuckers in
E) Because far left politics have soaked into Europe so thoroughly that the refugees will continue to murder, rape and pillage and fucks like you will thank them for it

But I like Star Wars.
>>
>>63771845
lol not even that other guy but what a shit response

"but anon there's other bad things happening in the world right now"
>>
>>63771999
"Because I want to see mens be cool and womenz can't be cool, plz make womenz uncool again"
>>
>>63771890
Its less of what he does then how he is presented in the movie overall. Until he encounters Rey he overcomes every foe easily, Snoke wants him for his power and its implied that he killed Luke's other students. He only seems like a beginner when compared to Rey which is weird because Rey should be the one who is the novice.
>>
>>63771999
>D) Because the far left is way more retarded than the far right in it's glory days and hopefully it can reign you dumb fuckers in
>E) Because far left politics have soaked into Europe so thoroughly that the refugees will continue to murder, rape and pillage and fucks like you will thank them for it
listen, buddy, i'm no bleeding heart liberal. i just think it's pathetic that you think that stuff like "OMG A FEMALE JEDI WTF???" (which, by the way, has been a long time coming in the movies t.bh) means the end of western civilization.
>>
>>63772006
it's that he and his ilk think that stuff like rey or the new ghostbusters are a greater threat to human existence than the stuff i listed.
>>
>>63772037
"Because I want to see a cool hero I can relate to in a movie instead of some mary sue bitch that landwhales with thick rimmed glasses and sidecuts can praise for it's "equal portrayal" of women"

>>63772066
It doesn't mean the end of anything but good taste. The old EU had the same problem of any male character becoming incompetent and/or evil and the main heroes slowly becoming women.

I was hoping this new canon would avoid that, I was excited for it.
>>
>>63771890
Look used to bullseye womp rats. He was presumably a good shot. Using the force he was able to become a better shot. Long way from what Rey is shown to be capable of.
>>
>>63772137
>The old EU had the same problem of any male character becoming incompetent and/or evil and the main heroes slowly becoming women.
>I was hoping this new canon would avoid that, I was excited for it.
and why, exactly, does this matter? do you still think that girls have cooties or some shit? why are important male characters inherently tied to good taste?
>>
>>63772137
Can you not relate to literally any of the other male leads in the movie? Again, Finn/Poe/Han/Luke (in the originals), hell even KYLO isn't a hero but a relatable lead.

You're complaining about one female lead in a movie filled with tons of male leads. Shut the fuuuuuck up already.
>>
>>63772037
Back to tumblr, dumb cunt
>>
>>63772059
He missed a lot of opportunities to block and ripost when Rey went stabby-stabby. I think he was still messed up from having just killed his dad, and from having been shot by Chewie, and not being fully trained anyway.

I put Rey's experience up to her previous staff experience, she obviously tries to use the lightsaber life a staff with a bunch of two handed stabbing, rather than swinging. Later, with her awakening then she became more proficient through that.

Also, Finn uses the lightsaber like someone unfamiliar with one would use it. He just swings it around like a sword and stabs people without using much finesse.
>>
>>63772225
Back to KiA you dimwit.
>>
>>63771972
I don't think Finn's emotional conflict was well written, but what was implied was at least if not more horrific then what Rey experienced.

I didn't really see Finn being portrayed as being very competent, his only skill is shooting. He needed help by almost everyone, and was saved by Rey and Han. In comparison, Rey just seems to come up with right abilities in almost all situations.
>>
>>63772133
Me and my ilk? You mean rational people? You're way overstating what I'm saying so you can make me look like a fool, but let me turn this around here.

I acknowledge that I can't do shit for the world at large. I'm fully aware how powerless I am to do anything beyond warning people against accepting wanton refugees into countries and making allowances for Islam.

But I come here because I like Star Wars. What's your excuse for not doing anything about the above, big man?

>>63772215
No, because they're not leads. They're side characters.

>>63772204
Do I have to repeat myself again? Because I'm fucking sick of them. It was cool years ago when it was subversive, but now it's a cliche.
>>
>the amount of tumlbr human garbage cucks in this thread

holy fuck, the memes were right, this board really has been overrun

get raped and die
>>
>>63771615
>1. Why is everybody looking for Skywalker.
Because he was the last Jedi and has and always was the one that could bring about full restoration to the Republic.

>2. Why didn't nobody notice BB-8's little trail in the sand.
Because wind blows.

>3. Why was Finn allowed to roam free after being told to report to Chrome trooper's time out
She mentions he was "reconditioned" because it was only his first infraction.

>4. Who was Max von Sydow and why did he have the map to Luke.
Who is anyone that acts as a mcguffin, or conversely from his conversation he states he's the last member of The Church of the Force that uphold Jedi ideals and has the missing chip.

>5. Who trained Snoke as a Sith. Why isn't he Palpy. Is he deformed or just and alien?
Who was the Emperor in Empire and why did he look deformed?

>6. Why did Solo and Chewy just happen to be in the area.
Because Solo is a smuggler again and they time and time again in other movies make reference to the outer planets being the best smuggler routes.

>7. Why did they have the ability to track the Falcon but the First Order didn't. Did they give them a head start?
The first Order did, and Finn mentioned it, also, Han mentions he's always been looking for the damned thing.

>8. Why did they blowed up so many planets. Was one of them Coruscunt? Were they at war or was the First Order just dicks?

Yes one was, just based on the look and the fact it was head of the republic. They destroyed it so instead of two competing governments there was only the New Order left.

>9. Why didn't they explain to Rei why the lightsaber was important. They just tell her not to worry about it until later.
Because she just had a mental freak out over touching it, and that she would know when the time was right.

>10. What happened to Chrome trooper?
"Is there a trash compactor here?" "Oh yes there is!"

>11. How did R2 know to wake up.
BB-8 kept attempt to communicate he had the final piece.
>>
>>63769324
Kek
>>
>>63772317
>But I come here because I like Star Wars. What's your excuse for not doing anything about the above, big man?
what i'm saying is that i don't get my fucking panties in a bunch over the diversity in the casting of a star wars movie.
>>
>>63772317
Holy shit, you are dense as fuck. What about Finn, the first character we meet and someone who not only leads the rebellion to the destruction of the Death Star 3.0, makes him a side character?

Why are you so fucking stupid that you think that the only people who are main characters in Star Wars are force sensitive people? By your own idiotic logic, wouldn't Leia, someone WHO IS FORCE SENSITIVE, be a main character?

>>63772292
That's pretty true, but Han was pretty competent the whole time.
>>
>>63771795
You're missing the part where Obi trained Luke for basically an hour worth of travel, and then was still able to use the force to deflect the weapons into the death star..
>>
>>63772317
>I'm sick of them

Well, now you know how girls felt watching movies about male leads. They were pretty cliche as fuck back then, huh?

"oh no, theres a girlz in my movie, PLZ JUST LET HER BE A SIDE CHARACTER, I CAN'T RELATE NOOOOOOOO"
>>
>>63771854
1. They're keepers of the peace; not soldiers. :^)

2. Eh, he was like 40 feet from the x-wing when they destroyed it but whatever.

3. Not sure, maybe, I don't have a perfect memory but I did note that it seemed off.

4. Max von Sydow plays a character holding the MacGuffin when the movie starts.

5. I mean, he's clearly the "master" so I'm just wondering where he learned it all given that the universe apparently isn't even sure if the Jedi were even real at all. Maybe they're going to retcon some of the prequels or something?

6. They still just happened to be in the area doing...something?

7. The First Order was orbiting Jakku. Were they on the other side and just like, took their time intercepting? They had that whole action sequence with the blob monsters to get there.

8. I thought they had some actual objective. Like they were starting a war or something. They mention that the resistance can't function without the Republic's fleet. This isn't explained well.

10. I forgot about the trash bit, you're right.

11. I'm not convinced.

I do think it was better than just fan service but the bigger problem for me was just being a copy of ANH in too many ways.
>>
File: 1449611665813.jpg (7 KB, 185x250) Image search: [Google]
1449611665813.jpg
7 KB, 185x250
>>63772342
>>
>>63770403
Pretty much this. And how did she know she could do that. It didn't seem to be something she would know she could do.
>>
>>63769222
She ran like a scared little cunt when she saw the vision. She was my waifu til then, but she's a weak willed scaredy just like the nigger. At least they'll make a good couple, both cowards.
>>
File: luuke.jpg (75 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
luuke.jpg
75 KB, 600x316
>>63769055
>its okay when luke does it
>>
>>63772396
The heroes in Star Wars stories are always jedi. Is this your first fucking Star Wars story? Or did you just watch the originals and "totally get it, guys".

>>63772431
I was about to say two wrongs don't make a right, but y'know what? Fuck yourself. There have been women heroes ever since the advent of fucking story telling.
>>
File: 1445112866452.gif (212 KB, 921x155) Image search: [Google]
1445112866452.gif
212 KB, 921x155
>>63772431
>>
>>63772506
>There have been women heroes ever since the advent of fucking story telling.
nobody's saying there wasn't. we're saying that they were *very* few and far between.
>>
>>63772450
It was definitely a combination of Episodes 4 & 6, for sure. The beginning was pretty much identical to a 4, and the plot was all 6. Every movie sadly will have conveniences that happen just to push the story, and JJ Abrams was never known for having a great plot.
>>
>>63770343
Jesus fuck, more?
>>
>>63772543
I will say that it gives Han a more appropriate ending than 6, and at least he matters in this one.
>>
>>63771240
>the upcoming all-girls Ghost Busters remake
That looks like a "girlpower XD" movie. The new Star Wars is nowhere near that.
>>
>>63772503
He literally had a ghost talk to him and guide him through it.
>>
>>63772506
Han Solo is a fucking hero in every movie. He saves Luke from dying. Lando saves Luke from falling to his death in Cloud City.

The Jedi are not the ONLY HEROES.

Also lol two wrongs don't make a right, but the ratio of male/female leads is still so overwhelmingly weighted to males that you'll never have to worry about having male heroes to watch.

Just because you're too stupid to think that anyone not wielding a lightsaber is a hero isn't a problem with "grrls", it's a problem with YOU.
>>
>>63772409
obviously a team effort. plus you're missing that in the originals the Force was a metaphor not an excuse for light-saber fights.
>>
>female lead
>hardly any lines
>all lines boil down to grunts and "run"
So progressive.
>>
>>63770437
How else were they going to make the film progressive?
>>
>>63772633
well, you gotta start somewhere, eh?
>>
>>63772611
Except Finn is more of a damsel than a hero, whereas Rey is overpowered.
>>
>>63772633
she wasn't a real female lead character. only James Cameron seems to know how to write actual women in a blockbuster.
>>
>>63772583
Yeah, it seems like he was resigned to his fate the moment he confronted Kylo. I thought the movie was actually pretty damn good overall, though. Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but for SW movies, it was fun and entertaining.
>>
>>63772667
you forgot ridley scott
>>
>>63772597

Fucking this.
>>
>>63772540
No, there really wasn't. Go find a non-gay romance novel with a male hero. I'll wait.

It's almost like demographics exist! And that men and women tend to have different tastes!

I'd have loved this movie years ago, before Hunger Games. Before Divergent. Before all that shit.

But now it'd old hat, and the hat was only nice because it's new.

>>63772611
Yes, but ultimately the conflict is that of restoring the Jedi and balance to the force. Han Solo was a sidekick at best.

>Also lol two wrongs don't make a right, but the ratio of male/female leads is still so overwhelmingly weighted to males that you'll never have to worry about having male heroes to watch.
Hahahahahahahahaha, now you're making shit up. Try turning on a TV sometime.
>>
>>63772652
Oh my god, FOR ONCE IN A MOVIE THAT SPANS 6 OTHER EPISODES, A FEMALE IS OVERPOWERED AND ONE MALE CHARACTER ISN'T.

TRULY, THE SJW'S HAVE WON THE WAR. CALL IN THE NATIONAL GUARD, PLEASE.
>>
>>63772720
You're retarded. I bet you think black-on-white violence is okay because "muh past slavery"
>>
>>63772703
>No, there really wasn't. Go find a non-gay romance novel with a male hero. I'll wait.
>It's almost like demographics exist! And that men and women tend to have different tastes!
wait what
explain to me clearly what you meant, and i'll be happy to take it into consideration. that was confusing t.bh
>>
>>63772750
Comparing violent crimes to a women being a hero in a movie is so fucking stupid that I feel bad for you.
>>
>>63772720

triggered you dumb nigger? take your pills
>>
>>63772668
Yeah, I don't hate it, in fact I liked it a lot, I just wish it weren't so derivative. I sort of felt the same way about Star Trek reboot so I'm VERY glad JJ isn't directing the sequel to this.

Like, this works as a sort of proper send off to the original trilogy and getting a new one started but if they're this reliant on the previous films again then it'll be a problem.
>>
>>63772503
>>63772597
>>63772697
One moment of clairvoyance in a spaceship =/= godlike lightsaber prowess.

& he was still a chump in Empire despite getting pointers from a Jedi Master.
>>
>>63772720
It's never really okay to have that dynamic.

>all men want to be powerful
>some women want to be powerful

>some men want to save the damsel
>no women want to save the damsel

>no men want to be the damsel
>some women want to be the damsel

Things are not even between the sexes, no matter how much you want them to be.
>>
>>63772751
Basically, science fiction is usually a primarily male oriented thing. The vast majority of sci fi writers are dudes and the vast majority of sci fi fans are dudes. So writers usually have the main characters be dudes to appeal to the audience and get them more sales and interest.

Conversely, romance novels are a female demographic thing, with a majority of female writers, fans and protagonists.
>>
>>63772782
Yeah, I can definitely see this being a send off to the originals (aside from Luke, I guess), but I also think that this was done mainly to satiate fans after the failures of episodes 1-3. Trying anything daring and new might have been a risk that no one wanted to take, especially considering how much money Disney was pumping into marketing.

Regardless, it was super fun, and gave us some awesome characters to build off of (was really happy Kylo didn't die, I think he was one of the brightest spots by far).
>>
File: leia.png (3 MB, 1918x816) Image search: [Google]
leia.png
3 MB, 1918x816
>>63772720
>FOR ONCE IN A MOVIE THAT SPANS 6 OTHER EPISODES

Oh I forgot, most "fans" heard of Star Wars through BBT.
>>
So is ghost Han going to show up in episode 8 to share tidbits of info?
>>
>>63772895
God the Blu-ray fucked up the color so much.
>>
remember when obiwan scratches his ass? https://youtu.be/_xP3fI7yn5s?t=7m38s
>>
>>63772815
aight, i get where you're coming from now. i think that's a combination of biological/evolutionary stuff (hunter-gatherer society, it was more advantageous for the women to be more emotionally in tune with others so that they could intuitively pick up on their baby's needs so that it wouldn't die), and social conditioning. personally, it think it's more the latter than the former. i mean, women can still be badass godlike overpowered jedi. there's no reason why they can't be.
>>
File: star-wars-rey.jpg (24 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-rey.jpg
24 KB, 612x380
>Luke
-naive farmboy
-gets knocked out by sand people
-gets beat up by criminals in his first visit to the big city
-almost gets eaten by a trash compactor monster

>Rey
-badass, self-sufficient scavenger
-saves a droid from harm
-beats up thugs who try to attack her
-beats up a stormtrooper
-ace pilot even though she hasn't flown before
-mind reads a master at the force
-learns Jedi Mind Tricks in three tries
-clings to walls
-beats seasoned veteran in a light saber battle her first time
>>
File: 1450203838419.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
1450203838419.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
So was pic related really true?
>>
>>63772902
No, he isn't force sensitive.
>>
>>63772923
There's no reasons that they can't be, but that's not good writing. It wasn't good writing in the prequels and having bad writing just to make something "fair" is retarded. Also, I hope that explains to you why I prefer male heroes, I find them easier to identify with.

Which, as you said, was evolutionary.
>>
>>63772945
damn she is cute. Just asking to get blacked

anyway women shouldn't be encouraged by mary sue roles since they are incompetent IRL. This only leads to cultural degeneracy.
>>
>>63772979
not really. we don't know who rey is related to at all. The beginning is pretty spot on though. Imagine Episode 4's intro (rebel gain intel, empire crashes meeting, we meet the bad guy) but with the new people
>>
File: 1413429899032.jpg (270 KB, 1988x1129) Image search: [Google]
1413429899032.jpg
270 KB, 1988x1129
>>63772886
>I think he was one of the brightest spots by far.

I liked him too. It was fun watching somebody competent direct Anakin --> Vader. The prequels have ruined me though and I expected him to turn into a whimpering bitch when Rei resisted his mind reading and stuff.

Luke being around is something I'm happy with if they do it right. Very interesting to see how his character has developed with wisdom, age, failure, and isolation. There is absolutely more growth for Luke and a story to tell there if done properly. Also Hamill looked great, if a bit portly.
>>
>>63772979
the image leaves out that there is a trench run where the new Death Star is blown up.
>>
File: 1442688456371.jpg (57 KB, 350x310) Image search: [Google]
1442688456371.jpg
57 KB, 350x310
>>63772920
what the fuck
>>
>>63772979
Pretty accurate. How old is it?
>>
>>63773166
i only saw it surface around when the private screening happened
>>
>>63773210
It's not 100% or anything but it's uncomfortably close.
>>
>>63773079
Yeah, he definitely captured that torn feeling really well, and assuming he's signed on for the next two, it'll be interesting to see him either continue to struggle or go full on evil.
>>
>>63772503
So what your saying is a force ghost told her she could do that stuff, why didn't they just say obi was talking to her in the movie?
>>
>>63773302
How long have we known that he kills Han? I think if maybe I didn't know about that it would have had more of an emotional impact. The audience gasped when it happened but, because JJ wants to be Spielberg, you could really see it coming from 100 miles away.
>>
>>63773368
Actually I also want to note that Ford seemed half awake for this movie.
>>
>>63770107
>Who else is a mary sue, Batman? Superman? Corbin Dallas? Furiosa? Rick O'connell?

Batman and Superman both arguably qualify, since they're both practically invincible. I've never heard of those other 3 people.
>>
File: CWcJfTYVAAALcUU.jpg (128 KB, 599x787) Image search: [Google]
CWcJfTYVAAALcUU.jpg
128 KB, 599x787
>>63773368
Honestly, I didn't see it coming until he saw him in the Starkiller base. Then it was fairly obvious. I can agree with mostly all of this snippet of criticism from Birth Movie Deaths review
>>
>>63772317
>You're way overstating what I'm saying so you can make me look like a fool

Sweetheart, you don't need any help with this, trust me. You're doing a damn good job all on your own with your "girls are icky!" temper tantrum.

If you're incapable of relating to a female lead character as a strong hero, that says everything about you. I'm a dude and I don't suddenly experience an emotional disconnect just because a protag has a vagina and I don't.

Fucking atavistic neanderthal fuckwit.
>>
>>63773033
i pretty much agree with you, but i think the overarching problem is that in our subconscious, the default image of "human" is a straight white male (i know I'm starting to sound like tumblr, but bear with me here). Think about it- someone says "human being" and that's most likely the first image that forms in your head. This association is so deeply embeddedinf in our collective psyche (and as a result culture) that most of the main characters in any piece of fiction in our culture are white males. now, if we were a racially insular society, such a medieval Europe, this would be totally okay and understandable. Thing is, we're not, so we have to be at least a bit mindful when it comes to representation in our fiction. We're getting there. And, as for women, I'd say it's about time they get to shine outside of romance. All this being said tho, you can't have diversity for the sake of diversity. Just try to be color blind and sex blind as best as you can (except for James Bond, obviously), and hire based mostly on talent. and try not to always default back to the white male.

holy fuck I really did sound like tumblr right there didn't i. My god
>>
>>63770866

It's about ethics in male representation in popcorn flicks.
>>
>>63770516
Did they say that in the movie? If not fuck off muh extended universe retard
>>
She's cute.

So Rey is like... Absolutely a Skywalker, right?
>>
>>63773368
>I think if maybe I didn't know about that it would have had more of an emotional impact.
no shit
>>
>>63773600
But that's what this new Star Wars strikes me as diversity for diversity sake.
>>
>>63769055
I'll be tweeting Lucasfilm out the ass about this. That you're right.
>>
Can a beta bitch boy explain to me please

why did she NOT fucking kill kylo, and how did he fucking escape before the planet exploded
>>
>>63773695
i haven't seen the movie yet (burgerland desu senpai), so I'd have to see their performances before I can say whether or not that's true
>>
File: crawling in my sith.jpg (69 KB, 759x500) Image search: [Google]
crawling in my sith.jpg
69 KB, 759x500
>tfw the whiny evil manbaby was the most interesting and well-written character in the movie

She seems like a cardboard cutout of what the perfect Jedi-to-be should be like.
>>
>>63773529
>Both Star Trek films and this Star Wars films contain characters that learn or pick up difficult skills and abilities without very much effort or challenge at all

Noticed this in the first Star Trek movie. Pretty much all the characters are stepping into their jobs for the very first time and do a flawless job. And Kirk goes from a suspended student to being second-in-command on the flagship to captain in the space of about a week for no apparent reason, then gets to keep his job afterwards. I'm not saying that the movie needs to be realistic, but at the very least the story should make sense.
>>
>>63773776
>crawling in my sith
kek
>>
>>63773743
The force did it
>>
>>63773600
>i pretty much agree with you, but i think the overarching problem is that in our subconscious, the default image of "human" is a straight white male (i know I'm starting to sound like tumblr, but bear with me here). Think about it- someone says "human being" and that's most likely the first image that forms in your head.

Maybe if you're white. My default image when I hear "human" is a dark-skinned latino.
>>
>>63772945
>>Rey
>-badass, self-sufficient scavenger
Because she was on a planet since she was 5 and had to fend for herself? And scavenged parts?

>-saves a droid from harm
Luke did the same with R2..

>-beats up thugs who try to attack her
Probably because she's been alone in a desert planet home to shady fucking people since she was 5 and knows how to use a big metal stick to hit people?

>-beats up a stormtrooper
One knocks his head on a door, stormtroopers are stormtroopers, they exist just to get the shit kicked out of them.

>-ace pilot even though she hasn't flown before
How do you know she has? She's a part scavenger from the battle of Jakku, and she has a old Rebellion helmet and pretends to fly after eating..

>-mind reads a master at the force
This literally never happened.

>-learns Jedi Mind Tricks in three tries
On an already brainwashed to shit stormtrooper, and gets it right in three tries, she's not perfect, and at this point the knowledge of what jedi can do is known.. even if it's known as myths.

>-clings to walls
that have giant holes and poles sticking out of them.

>-beats seasoned veteran in a light saber battle her first time
Kylo has never to our knowledge had a lightsaber duel, he isn't seasoned, and isn't even fully trained, he's not even a sith, he's a knight of Ren, which means nothing. Even Snoke mentions that Kylo can barely do shit on more than few occasions but Kylo is egotistical and prone to violent outbursts of rage and refuses to believe he's not the ultimate internet tough guy.
>>
>>63773529
100%
>>
>>63773879
eyyyy, ben, my friend! how you doing?
>>
>>63773845
>mind reads a master at the force
>this literally never happened.

yeah it did, when she was preventing kylo from reading her mind about the map location and she tells him without even knowing who he is that he is afraid and will never live up to his grandfather, darth vader

nice try tho
>>
>>63770343
Sauce?
>>
>>63771999
So you are basically a manchild with no concept of how anything in the world works
>>
>>63773628
the flashbacks she has when triggered by the lightsaber show her direct past, i.e. her being at Luke's temple during the rebellion, the fact she saw Kylo before, and that she was left on Jakku when she was 5. There was nothing non-relating to her in the flashbacks, which indicated it awakened not only the past and the people she "can't remember, but I know I'm waiting for them." but also events that happened prior to her long term memory fully coming in.
>>
>>63772597
And he'd been flying his whole life to get ready to go to the Imperial Academy. Don't leave that out that's movie canon.
>>
Did this move feel meme-y to anyone else?
>>
>>63773801
>suspended student to being second-in-command on the flagship to captain in the space of about a week for no apparent reason

McCoy faking his injury using established fleet canon protocol, the previous Captain having trust in kirk to make him second command, the previous captain then getting kidnapped, and spock being emotionally unable to preform the duty.. and then he gets to keep the job because he just saved the entire fucking planet.
>>
>>63773845
>Because she was on a planet since she was 5 and had to fend for herself? And scavenged parts?
That's Mary Sue.

>Luke did the same with R2..
No, he wanted to go to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters.

>Probably because she's been alone in a desert planet home to shady fucking people since she was 5 and knows how to use a big metal stick to hit people?
So have the thugs who attacked her. Why is she able to beat two of them up like that?

>How do you know she has? She's a part scavenger from the battle of Jakku, and she has a old Rebellion helmet and pretends to fly after eating..
Because she's surprised herself at how she flew so well.

>This literally never happened.
Yes it did you faggot. She reverse mind reads Kylo Ren and starts telling him his fears and weaknesses.

>On an already brainwashed to shit stormtrooper, and gets it right in three tries, she's not perfect, and at this point the knowledge of what jedi can do is known.. even if it's known as myths.
Now you're just making things up to defend her.

>that have giant holes and poles sticking out of them.
Fuck off, she's literally Spider-man.

>Kylo has never to our knowledge had a lightsaber duel, he isn't seasoned, and isn't even fully trained, he's not even a sith, he's a knight of Ren, which means nothing. Even Snoke mentions that Kylo can barely do shit on more than few occasions but Kylo is egotistical and prone to violent outbursts of rage and refuses to believe he's not the ultimate internet tough guy.
He carries the light saber around everywhere, uses it as his primary weapon, and has had training for decades, starting from Luke himself. It's even implied he killed other Jedi trainees.

You're bending over backwards, but Rey is unarguably a Mary Sue.
>>
>>63773929
>it did, when she was preventing kylo from reading her mind about the map location and she tells him without even knowing who he is that he is afraid and will never live up to his grandfather, darth vader

>Kylo Ren
>Master of the Force
kek

He was a manchild too obsessed with his grandfather to even complete whatever training Snoke gave him to the point where at the end Snoke demands he be brought back for training. Nice try. Kylo is no master, he can do neat parlor tricks, but it's shit Luke did with no training.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (277 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
277 KB, 1440x1080
>>63773776

>Those ears

WHY did they pick him

Just

WHY
>>
>>63770516
Kylo specifically says she is untrained and discovering her powers
>>
>>63774060
>No, he wanted to go to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters.
He specifically picked up the R2 unit after C3PO told him to.. in a sense rescuing him despite Owen not wanting it.

>So have the thugs who attacked her. Why is she able to beat two of them up like that?
Because I'm assuming being a woman on a planet full of scum and villain would suggest she's a bit better at combat, plus they were unarmed and she had a large metal rod.

>Yes it did you faggot. She reverse mind reads Kylo Ren and starts telling him his fears and weaknesses.
Kylo is far from a master, and a mild meld can go both ways, fuck even Poe resisted for the most part, it was the physical torture that broke him.

>Now you're just making things up to defend her.
Except everyone in the movie before she even gets a lightsaber knows about fucking Jedi, and she even specifically believes it's a myth until Han says it's all true.

>Fuck off, she's literally Spider-man.
There's fucking holes and grab bars all over the fucking wall.

>He carries the light saber around everywhere, uses it as his primary weapon, and has had training for decades, starting from Luke himself. It's even implied he killed other Jedi trainees.

>Kek he left Luke when he was a teenager, and since then had some training from Snoke but even he mentions it not being complete or even where it should be, plus he's too blinded by his own inability to control his anger and emotions. He swings like a fucking roadrager with a baseball bat.

>Mary Sue or, in case of a male, Gary Stu or Marty Stu is an idealized fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through extraordinary abilities. Often but not necessarily this character is recognized as an author insert and/or wish-fulfillment.

too bad she fucks up a lot too, like you know, forgetting to take a safety off, oh and getting captured.
>>
>>63769222
She literally got captured and then failed to kill the bad guy. Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>63772979
Pretty much. There's actually more similarities that pic misses.
>>
>>63769055
I honestly loved her character
>>
>>63774339
>Kylo specifically says she is untrained and discovering her powers
her flashback shows she at least had some youngling training.
>>
>>63771799

Even Luke went through a movie and a half of serious training.

This chick learned about the Force an hour before she was doing Force shit, and making a Sith her bitch.
>>
>>63774398
except no. Because I could make the same image based on LOTR, or any sci-fantasy movie. I could that shit with Dune.
>>
>>63770678

He sucks at the force. He is an immature pissbaby. Unlikable to everyone except the droids and Kenobi.

Rae is an ace pilot, ninja, ship builder, mid-tier Jedi. C'mon
>>
>>63769222
>Wouldn't leave Jakku because 'they'll come get me i swear'
>Wanted to go back to Jakku for above
>Freaks out when she finds her dad's lightsaber and sprints off into the forest leaving her friends for dead
>Gets rekt by Kylo Ren
>Almost gets rekt by a heavily wounded Kylo Ren again
>>
>>63774466
what makes you say that?
>>
File: CMAOk-AWwAEjxbH.jpg (33 KB, 575x556) Image search: [Google]
CMAOk-AWwAEjxbH.jpg
33 KB, 575x556
>>63774512
Have you even seen both films?
>>
She literally overcomes every possible problem she faces with ease.
Despite no previous training or knowledge for some of them.

I'm okay with it to an extent because of >muh Jedi heritage, but it just made her unlikeable as a character,
>>
So it's implied that she's Luke's daughter, but how?

I thought the Jedi were permanent autists and weren't allowed to have feelings and by extension children.
>>
>>63772792
Godlike? She literally hacked at a wounded opponent and still didn't kill him. It's likely she has some notion of combat from roughing it as a scavver too.
>>
>>63774634
The fact that the flashback shows a young girl next to look when confronted by Ren, the fact that every other scene in the flash is either first person perspective, and most importantly aside from the fact that a female childen is with Luke in her flashbacks, and then her flashbacks revert to her being dropped off on Jakku as a child lead anyone with a brain to assume those are her personal flashbacks, especially considering we see luke only with the black hood circa Return of the Jedi and he's still skinny means they're past not present or future flashes, and if Luke had R2 when Ren left, then it's unknown how R2 would have returned especially when it's said "He stayed behind when Master Luke left the final time.. and has been in power saving mode since, and with the flashback showing Luke's hands on R2 I can assume he's giving R2 instructions.

And to those arguing "muh force showing all flashbacks to Ren to the light saber." why would a saber Luke clearly hasn't had since the fight on cloud city (the flashback show the RoTJ saber on his belt) trigger anything except for original trilogy flashbacks? The fact of the matter is everyone is arguing that she has no training when I'm willing to bet just as with the Ren revelation she was there, and she is related to Luke.
>>
>>63769055
every star wars protagonist is a mary sue, they're all "teh chosen 1"s who have over 9000 power levels with the force...this is nothing different.
>>
>>63772920
Obi Wan was a real cunt to leave him there like that.
>>
>>63774881
Mary Sue's aren't chosen ones. Mary Sues are characters who are good at everything, even shit that other characters take ages to master, and have no definable flaws.

Rey is a Mary Sue through and through.
>>
>>63769055
somewhat of a mary sue, but she is lukes daughter no doubt. thats why she had the vision when touching the lightsaber.
>>
>>63775036
>Rey is a Mary Sue through and through.
Then why does she get her ass beat, why does she suck at firing a blaster, why doesn't she even remember to take a safety off, why does she get captured, why does it take her 3 tries to do a simple jedi trick? Fin is more Mary Sue than anyone because he magically gets good at everything. Rey sucks until she gets the awakening, and even then she still fucks up.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.