[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so...why does r2 have the map again? why did the empire also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3
so...why does r2 have the map again?

why did the empire also have this portion of the map in their archives?

who made these maps?
>>
>>63767977
um duh it was luke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! idiot
>>
Luke gave it to R2. Empire got it from the Jedi Archives.
>>
>>63768113
>>63768079

did luke want everyone to find him? why make a map of your own location? i thought he just went into hiding
>>
>>63767977
>two-dimensional map of space
>>
So the resistance was looking for the map. And they said R2 went into shutdown because luke left. And no one thought to just pull out the hard drives from R2 and give them a once over?
>>
I wanna know why R2 suddenly woke up. He had no reason to. He hadn't even found out Han died when he woke up.
>>
>>63768369
Nigga was so tired of constantly running around in like 6 films he decided to take a long nap. Can you blame him?
>>
why did bb8 even pull the cover off r2 in the first place? c3 talked to him as if bb8 had knowledge that r2 could possibly contain the maps but how would bb8 even know to look for r2?
>>
Is this the first real SWFA meme? "You need a map to find it…"
>>
>>63768369
He was supposed to wake up when Luke came back. However, he did wake up when Rey showed up.

I think this might mean that Rey is Luke's daughter. Might explain why she is so OP at Force powers.
>>
File: june2011-photo17.jpg (112 KB, 603x260) Image search: [Google]
june2011-photo17.jpg
112 KB, 603x260
>>63767977
>>
Nobody will answer the questions in this thread because there are no answers to them. It's a piece of shit, terribly written film.
>>
>>63767977
>claims map piece bb8 has doesnt have enough info for a location. cause they can't align the stars for any known system

>reveal occurs showing jigsaw piece of an inner part of the outer rims 1/4 the size of the known map you are in?

>basically sends 19 xwings with no dedicated bombers or other support craft to bomb the starkiller base

>are the resistance this inept
>>
>>63769106
There was no more than 30 in New Hope and they all died except for 4 including luke
>>
It just a movie. Why dont you just turn off your brain for a moment?
>>
god, there's so much bullshit people defend here

can't wait for le new Plinkett reviews so they finally turn on this garbage
>>
>>63769106
Those X Wings were half it's fleet, they didn't have anything else.
>>
>>63768199

It was a 3 dimensional map. Galaxies tend to be in the shape of disks rather than orbs, so their height is less than their diameter.
>>
>>63768199
it was three-dimensional though, galaxies are generally flat, if you are talking about that.
>>
>>63768369
He felt a disturbance in the force, clearly
>>
>>63768369
Rey could be Obi-wans daughter so R2 woke up. R2 was used from Leiah to send a message to Obi wan so they have enough of a history gor that to make sense. I dont think Rey is lukes daughter
>>
>>63769286
>implying the MST3K Mantra works for 4chan tier autism.
>>
>>63767977
That's a story for another time.
>>
>>63769504
that would actually be a nice little twist. everyones expecting Rey to be Luke's
>>
>>63769106
was anyone else bothered that they were called the Resistance when they were serving what was the current government. Shouldn't the First Order been the ones who were the Resistance?
>>
>>63769286
BECAUSE I WOULD DIE

THAT'S THE SHITTIEST FUCKING MEME
>>
>>63770367
Honestly I liked the EU schtick of literally calling it the Imperial Remant
>>
>>63770367
>was anyone else bothered that they were called the Resistance when they were serving what was the current government. Shouldn't the First Order been the ones who were the Resistance?

That's what I fucking said. The First Order's whole beef seems to be with the New Republic. They called them out. They built the big weapon to destroy them.

So why isn't the New Republic responding to this threat? Why is it being left to some rag tag bunch of guys armed only with X-wings and a handful of troop transports to face folks who can destroy entire solar systems and seem to be blatantly gunning for Couroscant?
>>
That was Coruscant that got Aleraan'd, right?
>>
>>63770495
>Honestly I liked the EU schtick of literally calling it the Imperial Remant

They are the Imperial Remnant. The First Order is what would happen if the Remnants had retreated, regrouped, and launched a new offensive, as opposed to staying put and trying to maintain their existing control.

What makes less sense is the New Republic/Resistance. Where is their fleet?
>>
>>63770604

No, it was some random planet in the same system as pirate lakes planet.

And the only reason pirate lakes planet didn't get assploded was because the First Order wanted the droid intact, if possible.[/quote]
>>
>>63770604
no, should have listened during the movie stupid.
>>
>>63770696
Didn't the Republic get blown up, though. Where else would that be but Coruscant?
>>
If you are white and support this piece of shit cultural marxist propaganda "film" you are a brainless brainwashed faggot ass sellout c.uckold pile of garbage.

Fuck you and your mother.
>>
>>63770756
Coruscant is under control of the First Order. This was New Republic.
>>
>>63770810
>race of actors matters
>>
>>63770997
>Coruscant is under control of the First Order

Stop pulling shit out of your ass
>>
>>63770590
>>63770367
>>63769106

This is the thing that bothers me the most about the film. While I don't really get why the Empire becomes 'the First Order,' that's not really important. But I don't get why it seems to make 'the new Republic' and the Resistance separate entities seemingly. There's no info on what this republic does but it doesn't seem to be actually doing anything against the First Order, and if dialogue was any indication the resistance wasn't really working for the republic at all. Which makes me confused as to how the resistance seems to have fuck all for ships compared to Jedi when the rebel alliance had a whole fleet of actual warships, it feels like it tries too hard to make the rebels, I mean RESISTANCE, the underdog again.
>>
>>63768152
Luke knows the importance of a MacGuffin.
>>
>>63770756
>Didn't the Republic get blown up, though. Where else would that be but Coruscant?

All the planets that got destroyed in the Starkiller Base's first (and only) shot were in the same star system. That's why Fin, Rey, and the gang were able to see them explode in the sky. Unless secret pirate/smuggler planet is right next door to the capital of the New Republic in the core systems, then it was some other planet.
>>
>>63771120
My guess is that the new republic might be infested with imperial sympathizers who are hedging their bets. If the resistance wins, they keep their current status and power. If the first order gains an advantage, then they can claim they were always loyal to the empire.

Of course, these sympathizers would need to live on planets not in danger of being ass blasted.
>>
>>63771788

You see I'd love if there was throwaway line where Leia or one of the resistance members was like 'the republic's been compromised by agents of Snoke and the First Order' but there's nothing to suggest that or even infer anything as to what the Republic actually constitutes or does. It's so weird for what's supposed to be the main victim of the big dumb superweapon, even Alderaan got more explanation in New Hope.
>>
>>63768199
>should we map just the plane that the systems lay on?
>nah, let's just map a huge sphere with everything because we should definitely include a bunch of bullshit we don't need for navigating
>>
>>63771846
>It's so weird for what's supposed to be the main victim of the big dumb superweapon, even Alderaan got more explanation in New Hope.

Now that I think about it, there was surprisngly very little exposition in the movie. Shit just kind of occurred naturally and we all rolled with it.

Because honestly, who doesn't know Star Wars?
>>
>>63769106
>be galaxy spanning government

>entire fleet is 30 shitty X-wings
>>
>>63771935

>Now that I think about it, there was surprisngly very little exposition in the movie.

Exactly, and for the most part that actually worked, but for the backstory in regards to the whole Republic/Resistance/First Order thing it feels really weird. Like how did we go from the end of Jedi to this, where things are pretty much the same but with different names now? I feel like they were wary of avoiding politics talk because of the backlash to it in the prequels, but giving some idea as to what people are actually fighting for now and how things have actually changed since the OT would've really helped make the world of it more distinct.
>>
>>63771846
Here's what I don't get, they explicitly say in the movie that the Starkiller destroyed a system that wasn't Coruscant, but it was also 'the Republic.' Why would the Republic have a capital that wasn't Coruscant?
>>
>>63768495
>>63769456
>>63769504

So R2 is force-sensitive?
>>
>>63772102
It's explained in one of the shitty new books

The new republic senate votes on and changes the capital around every few years because democracy.
>>
>>63772102

It also confused me that they said the Republic had its own fleet; was that where most of the Rebel Alliance's ships went after Jedi than and why the resistance is so small? Why don't we ever see this fleet than? God this is such a minor thing but it annoys me in how the writers of this somehow made the politics of the universe more confusing than the prequel politics.
>>
>>63772017
>I feel like they were wary of avoiding politics talk because of the backlash to it in the prequels

Pretty much. Hopefully, now that JJ has shown that he can more or less reasonably handle a remake of ANH/ESB/RotJ, the later movies will allow a bit more experimentation.
>>
>>63772144
On the one hand, that's retarded.

On the other hand, Coruscant is a cool setting, at least when used sparingly. I'm glad it didn't get blown up.
>>
>>63771120

Maybe it's something like the Cardassian/Maquis thing in TNG/DS9.

Basically The First Order controls a portion of the galaxy that the Rebels/New Republic doesn't have the muscle to take over so they just let them be. But a faction in that area that want the Republic to win fight independently and call themselves the Resistance.
They might also be supported by the New Republic covertly with personnel and goods.
>>
>>63772347

That's what I'd assume, since the one thing I like about the Star Wars EU was that after loads of infighting in the Empire after Sheev's death, the remnants of the Empire persist in some far-off corner of the galaxy. It's nowhere near as powerful as it was but the Republic doesn't want to expend the effort to wipe it out and so they tolerate each other after peace accords.

Of course absolutely idiotic garbage shows up after the Vong stuff and the Empire and Republic unite for some stupid reason. There's a reason most of the EU is to be ignored.
>>
>>63772347

This was my assumption as well.

But the Resistance has red/black leader, and many prominent New Republic generals (Ackbar, Leia, Nien).

Just one comment along the lines of, "Maybe the Republic could send us something more than military advisers. A cruiser or two would be nice." would have helped a ton.

A New Hope had pretty much one scene discussing the politics of the Empire/Republic/Senate, lasted only about 5 minutes and also happened to give us some of the most awesome lines in the franchise courtesy of Vader.
>>
>>63767977
>so...why does r2 have the map again?
Because either Luke gave it to him or the Resistance gave it to him
>why did the empire also have this portion of the map in their archives?
They captured it from the Resistance
>who made these maps?
Mystery, maybe Luke

The weird part is why the old guy with the missing part happened to live in walking distance of Rey and the Falcon

>>63768467
Because BB was part of the Resistance, it's not like he had never met R2 and 3PO.
>>
>>63767977

The real question is why the hell R2 only activated when the dumb planet laser blew up. Was it keyed to activate only after the plot was done?
>>
The way they had the Falcon offscreen being referred to as a piece of junk was done amazingly
>>
>>63772637
I think luke turned R2 on remotely probably using an SSH tunnel through 17 proxies so plagueis I mean "snoke" couldn't track him
>>
>>63772704

I guess, though I didn't think it was Luke since he seemed very surprised to see Rey at the end of the movie. Plus C-3PO said R2 wasn't broken or awaiting a signal or anything, but in 'power saving mode.' In which case I wonder why they just didn't hook the thing up to a generator or something.
>>
>>63772704
was thinking this too, probably luke was guiding rey as well
>>
File: Gonkpromo.jpg (110 KB, 290x406) Image search: [Google]
Gonkpromo.jpg
110 KB, 290x406
>>63772780
>I wonder why they just didn't hook the thing up to a generator or something.

Or one of those fucking WALKING BATTERIES they have in Star Wars specifically designed for powering other droids.
>>
>>63772780
I think luke had that look because he was pissed off that snoke killed all those people with death star 3.0.

Luke sensed it.
>>
>>63771120
Everyone in The Republic wants peace and diplomacy. New Order ain't having none of that shit, but Republic doesn't want to fight back because muh feelings, so Resistance are the only bad enough dudes to actually fight back.
>>
>>63772880
If R2 did not consent then that is rape you CIS white scum shit.
>>
>>63772896
>>63772780
the end scene was meant to be longer and have dialogue, but it sucked the life out of the film

Disney have wound up paying Mark Hamill millions of dollars to stand and look at the camera for a few seconds because they couldn't figure out a good enough scene for him. It's fucking beautiful.
>>
>>63772931

Speaking of droids rights, Rey was pretty quick to save a random astromech droid from another scavenger.

Then she just "let it go". What would have kept the scavenger she just ran off from recapturing him. The guy was still only like 10 feet away from them when she tried to shoo it off.
>>
>>63768326
They didn't know R2 had the missing part. They thought bb8 had the whole thing.
>>
Luke made the map so he could find the Jedi temple.
>>
>>63768495
Rey is Luke and Leia's daughter. There's a reason Ben went crazy and Han hit the road--the truth is a little worse than "I am your father".
>>
>>63773108
Leia got LUKED
>>
>>63772797
i think he saw chewbacca crying and started to working again.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.