[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know, when I first walked out of the cinema after the credits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: starwarsforceawakens.jpg (438 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
starwarsforceawakens.jpg
438 KB, 1280x1920
You know, when I first walked out of the cinema after the credits I left feeling pretty satisfied. Then when I looked at some of the criticisms online and thought about the movie some more I pondered on all of its flaws and decided that it was nowhere near as good as it could have been. Then the next day once I let all of the criticism soak in and think about it some more I realised that despite its flaws I still really enjoyed it and wanted to see it again. To me the whole thing is probably a 7.5/10 and I'm looking forward to the subsequent films.

What about you /tv/?
>>
Decent but forgettable. Original had heart, this was ultimately soul-less like all of Abrams stuff.
>>
>>63764535
the only bit that really stood out to me as a missed opportunity was having phasma duel finn instead of that random stormtrooper, and having her get wounded instead of killed. would have been a nice way to give her some more screentime and makes sense given her vendetta against him.

i loved kylo ren, the fact that he was hyped up to be intimidating and unstoppable and turned out to be an insecure manchild was great, and the acting was good. the final duel with him hitting his wound to anger himself was neat, and i liked his fighting style, no style or grace but pure rage.

anyone complaining that ren got beaten by rey is an idiot, he was wounded and quite visibly shaken by the fact that she was stronger with the force than he was
>>
>>63764750
shit i mixed up the stormtrooper and phasma in the first paragraph but whatever you get the idea
>>
>>63764535

>I liked it until the internet said I shouldn't.

Fuck off.
>>
>>63764858
Nope, I'm saying despite its flaws it's still a pretty good film.
>>
The only genuine downsides imo were those CGI aliens that took out those fellas from The Raid, Carrie Fisher's acting and Captain Plasma being completely underwhelming. Everything else was good/great/amazing.
>>
what is it like being a self proclaimed cuck
>>
The art style, direction, and overall tone is great. Manages to match the OT but also feel modern. No problems here.

The new characters are likable and generally well written - dialogue wise at least.

The surface level references aren't too bad/overdone. It's gonna have to cutesy nods to the originals, that's a given, so I don't mind them.

Overall I had fun. I'd give it an 7.5 or maybe 8 out of 10. My main problems are this

>Rey is TOO perfect. I get she's latently powerful with the Force, I buy that, I can live with that. But suddenly using Jedi mind trick out of nowhere? Tech girl, new Falcon pilot, going to train with Luke? Come on. Don't make her too special, it has to be earned somewhat in how they show the character. She started off great but became more bullshit the farther it went.

>The basic plot structure is way, way too similar to ANH. Come on, another super base? Another trench run? References are fine, but when the overall story structure borrows so much from the original movies, it's lazy.
>>
I dont remember a single line from the movie and I watched it 3 hours ago. After watching a new hope for the first time I could quote half the movie. This shit just isnt memorable, just another blockbuster
>>
>>63764796
You fucked-up a lot more than that, don't worry.
>>
Is it me or JJ used the same formula of Episode 4? For me it was all the same from beginning to end. Han Solo was literally the Obi Wan of these movie.
>>
Was Coruscant BTFO'd? wasn't very clear to me if that was the capital of the new republic
>>
The Kylo reveal felt so forced. It worked in the originals because there was 3 movies for the characters to develop with one another, and gaps in between the movies with heavy speculation. It feels like they just threw this in to have a homage for the sake of having one.
>>
>>63766122
Yep. That's my biggest issue with this film. Under the surface it's just a retread.

>naive scavenger on desert planet, wants to see the stars
>leaves on the Millenium Falcon with the help of an old man connected to important events of the past
>everyone chasing a droid with important information
>meet with Leia and Resistance to make plans to stop bad guys
>bad guys is revealed to be a family member of a hero
>old man is killed in front of the new heroes to give them motivation
>trench run attack on massive evil space weapon that's on a countdown
>sabotage the shields to give the X-wings a chance to attack (ep. 6)
>new force user goes to meet a wise Jedi to be trained (ep. 5)
>>
>>63765791
You were also a kid who had an impressionable, fresh mind instead of the poo-poo brains you have now from being on the planet for longer.
Face it, anon, you're getting old.
>>
I think we'll have some legitimate complaints about retreading the storyline if the series ends up following the exact same schemes of the other two OT movies.
Come on, it's a new Star Wars movie, they had to handle it with kid gloves so that original fans wouldn't lose their shit.
>>
>>63764750
I like Pulp.
>>
>>63767152
Original fans won't lose their shit if the plot is nearly identical? Do something new.
>>
>>63766122
It was pretty much a retelling of Episode 4 but with characters in different roles, the only difference is that Luke didn't make Vader his bitch in the first episode.
>>
Guys

Hear me out

The Death Star

But

Wait listen

BIGGER
>>
>>63766255

Seems to be (almost) confirmed, by a novel or something, that Chandilar was capital of the New Republic and was, indeed, obliterated. Could have done with being said in the film.
>>
it was fun, i know it have flaws that i already said in other threads But the things is ...i saw the movies when i was 5 because my mom like them, so me and my borther grow with Star Wars..of course i gonna chills when i hear the intro or i see an old character (dying)...it was fun, not my favourite and still like it.

>NOSTALGIA FAG IS BEING A NOSTALGIA FAG
fucking grow op dude
>>
File: deathstar3.png (420 KB, 488x384) Image search: [Google]
deathstar3.png
420 KB, 488x384
Honestly while I would have preferred a more original plot, the whole "rehashing ep IV" elements didn't really bother me too much. I feel like after the bad taste that was left in everyone's mouth from the prequels, JJ really tried to tie it back to the original trilogy to make it seem like Star Wars again. I feel like the whole film was sort of a compromise between giving us the old and familiar, and introducing us to new concepts and characters. Now that they've gotten people interested in Star Wars again I'm hoping that they take a more ambitious approach with the subsequent films.
>>
>>63769362
thats what i was thinking. they were able to get all these characters in there because they didnt need to focus on a expansive plot. they were able to play all the neccessary homage and fanservice as well, leave the next two movies in a great place to forge their own identity
>>
If this movie wasn't related to Star Wars and was its own thing, would anyone be saying it's a good film?
>>
>>63769783
They'd say it copied too much from new hope.
>>
What I don't understand is how nobody noticed Kylo wasn't using the force as much as he could. He was purposely holding back on it because the universe doesn't seem to want him to be on the dark side. He wasn't using it in his fighting and when he tried a dark side trick (the choke) it failed and he pulled the guy in to choke him with his hand. I've been reading these threads for an hour and nobody mentioned any of this.
>>
>>63769783
that's a good question, I don't think it would have all the praise it does have, but I think the general public would still like it.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.