[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For those who've seen it, does it reinforce Abraham's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 2
For those who've seen it, does it reinforce Abraham's reputation of being a hack?
>>
>>63763006
No hes the master of the ReSequel.

He electrified the cast to be more powerful archetypes of the Original Trilogy

He also electrified the plot the moon star base is now a planet instead of it killing one planet it kills like 5...

Basically he did Star Trek 2009 with Star Wars but he made it even more of a COPY PASTE plot.
>>
>>63763006
JJ is a copycat with no good ideas that can end up releasing a good or at least acceptable product.
George Lucas is a man full of ideas, but since some of them are horrible he needs to be controlled or else he will end up releasing an inferior product.
>>
>>63763064
More of a reboot than a sequel? Feels like Daniel Craig bond films.
>>
I think JJ is competent
>>
>>63763006
Yes. He's veering into Brett Ratner territory.
>>
>>63763006
Absolutely. Makes Roland Emmerich seem like an auteur.
>>
>>63763102
Which is odd because American Graffiti is such an amazing film. His best. Except the cheesy bio-ending.
>>
>>63763064
>soft reboot
>>
You know, when I first walked out of the cinema after the credits I left feeling very satisfied. Then when I looked at some of the criticisms online and thought about the movie some more I pondered on all of its flaws and decided that it wasn't as good as it could have been. Then the next day once I let all the criticism soak in and think about it some more I realised that despite its flaws I still really enjoyed it and wanted to see it again.
>>
>>63763241
I really enjoyed Avengers I and II, but I know it's full of flaws and are not art. They're actually lowest common denominator shit.
>>
>>63763128
I, on the other hand, think JJ is a rich man's Zak Snyder
>>
>>63763299
Only a fool would consider it art, but I still really like a lot of the new concepts and characters they've introduced. I think after weighing all my gripes about the film with all the things I liked, I think it was pretty good overall and I'm optimistic for the future films.
>>
>>63763006
He just updated episode IV for new audiences so yes
>>
>>63763312
Holy shit, that's pretty apt. I agree.
>>
>>63763407
Are the actors as endearing as the originals or wooden like the prequels?
>>
>>63763480
A mix. Daisy is awful and her character is just a mary sue. Ooga Boyega is decent but too much of a joke and Oscar Isaac is a god he shoudlve been the main character. 84 year old Ford carried the movie by himself though
>>
>>63763480
Ford has his moments but is pretty inconsistent, Leia is basically a cardboard cutout, Luke only makes a cameo stare at the end but he looks cool as fuck.
>>
>>63763542
>mary sue
just like luke
>>
I really wish the "My baby girl" line was real.
>>
>>63763584
No way. This chick starts off knowing how to pilot a ship, knowing how to repair it, knowing how to fight, also is real strong she dont need no man "muh dont hold my hand". And what took Luke a lot of training and 3 movies to pull off (force tricks) she pulls off in an hour and 20 minutes.
>>
>>63763407
while removing a lot of the substance from the background.

Seriously. 5 planets, and it's like nothing really happened.
>>
>>63763631
desu ben is a bitch and if she's actually Luke's daughter it would make sense
>>
>>63763631
just like annie
>>
>>63763299
>Star Wars
>Ever art
>Ever anything but a vehicle for selling action figures

People who think Empire is some sort of cinema masterpiece are probably the worst people out there.
>>
>>63763584

At least obi wan gave luke some training about how to use the force, rey just figures it out all on her own while trapped on the starkiller
>>
>>63763808
sounds horrible, like every resident evil flick

strong, independent women
>>
>>63763926

for what it's worth It didn't really occur to me she was a complete mary sue until I went on /tv/ afterwards and saw people say it, but I do think they're right particularly regarding her instant ability to use the force and even jedi mind tricks (I guess she just have heard a legend about them some time in the past)
>>
>>63764106
To be fair, the only block Luke had was his incredulity. If she's naive enough to lack that, then there's no reason she couldn't be Episode V Luke's level. And Episode V Luke could have beaten Ren.
>>
Seems pretty clear to me that Rey was trained at Luke's Jedi Temple as a kid, but was whisked away when Kylo came back with the Knights of Ren and fucked everybody up. The way he looks at Rey at the end suggests both reluctance to join civilization again as well as concern that she appears to have not only left Jakku but is aware of the Force.

This is speculation until Episode VIII, but the visions Rey had in the basement when she touched Luke's lightsaber mixed with her abilities against Kylo make sense to me.
>>
YES

fuck Im so mad at him
>>
>>63764579
I forgot to mention, I would suggest Luke erased or suppressed her memories of the Jedi Temple massacre using the Force.
>>
>>63763677
She didn't try spinning tho
>>
Pretty much
>>
>>63764579

I think that's certainly possible, I've been thinking she might be luke's kid but I don't know how they'd fit that in when the prequels established jedis don't have love interests and luke's meant to be the ultimate good guy so him having a fling with some lady doesn't quite make sense
>>
>>63764709
>I've been thinking she might be luke's kid but I don't know how they'd fit that in when the prequels established jedis don't have love interests and luke's meant to be the ultimate good guy so him having a fling with some lady doesn't quite make sense

Yeah, I was expecting that to be revealed during the film, but I agree, it makes more sense that he was just training her at the temple and she was one of the few survivors (if not the only survivor aside from Luke).

I mean, he has a kid with Mara Jade in the books, but I doubt she's going to be re-made canon.
>>
The ending was completely ham-fisted, and shoehorning Hamill at the end was the wrong way to end the film.

The lack of any transition between action scenes, no sort of "calm before the storm" type of sequences.
>>
Quick Question, what does BB-8 do in the movie? Because I haven't heard jack about the little guy since the shit hit the fan
>>
>>63764809
>The lack of any transition between action scenes, no sort of "calm before the storm" type of sequences.
Just like Into Darkness
>>
>>63764838
He drives
>>
I just got back from seeing it. Thought it was great. Only things I didn't like was Maz Katana and the soundtrack was only OK. Other than that no complaints.
>>
>>63764853
That's true, at least he didn't employ shake-cam here and someone had the decency to dump some adderall in JJ's morning mocha.

One of the very few exceptions of some sort of transition is when the falcon is floating away from the star destroyer after dumping its cargo, that was redeeming.
>>
>>63763128

He is a competent Director, but the thing is he prays on nostalgia and plays it so safe he never ends up doing anything really new. That's my main issue with him, all his movies from established franchises have played it safe and trying to appeal to the old fans so much that he ends up not doing anything new.

At least Lucas took risks, and 10 ideas he had 5 of them were good while the rest were awful.
>>
>>63763064

Somebody watched plinkett recently
>>
>A couple of X-wings destroyed an entire planet

Apparently the entire First Order fleet is essentially 1 Star Destroyer and dozens of Tie Fighters
>>
>>63764986
Also
>No TIE interceptors or bombers
>Not a single trace of any Wing that isn't an X-Wing and could have given some advantage
>>
>>63763064
This. With his unhinged element from m:i 3 and classic visuals from super 8.
>>
>>63764986
Shut up thats the same as iv and vi, it has always been a joke that 3 squadrons of fighters can destroy a huge base
>>
Was it just me or did the cantina scene go super fucking blurry while the camera was panning over all these characters they hyped their costuming for?

Its possible it was because I saw the 2d version... but I dunno
>>
>>63763006
Better than the prequels, okay overall.
>>
Reinforces his reputation of being a reliable and safe director. The movie was enjoyable, but not thrilling.

He will never be great or memorable unless he actually does something original, or develops any kind of trademark style. I don't see that happening any time soon.
>>
>>63764986
The First Order isn't the galactic empire. They're militia formed out of the remnants of the Empire but they don't have the same resources and capabilities the Empire had. Probably why they had to built a Death Star into a planet instead of just from scratch.
>>
>>63764606
A massacre, we sure about this?
>>
>>63765069

There weren't any A-Wings, Y-Wings in A New Hope, Anon. I'm guessing they'll show up on Episode 8 which without a doubt be the Empire Strikes Back of the new Trilogy.
>>
>>63765101
Is that the standard of quality? How much we can shit on other work to make our own considered better?
>>
>>63764838
>what does BB-8 do?
Spin, I hear spinning is a good trick.
>>
>>63765162
there were Y-wings in A New Hope, silly.
>>
Can't wait to see the franchise be torn apart by the utter hack that is Rian Johnson, who's an exaggeration of Abrams' worst qualities.
>>
You know in the trailer, you hear the dialogue "who are you?"

"I'm no one".

Did I miss it or was this not in the film at all?
>>
>>63765137
>they don't have the same resources
>builds a Death Star
¿que?
>>
>>63765132
>trademark style
camera glare
ADD editing
inappropriate boobs/fan-service
>>
>>63765247
>Rian Johnson
>Not Collin Trevorreow

At least Episode 8 has a SLIGHT chance of being at least mediocre. I have no hope for episode 9.
>>
>>63765137

Militia or no the fact is that there's no fleet guarding the planet they're on.

Also how long did they know about the First Order's weapon or even where they were?
>>
>>63765085
Felt the same way. Like some sort of extra motion blur. Was trying to see some aliens in detail but god damn I thought I was going blind.
>>
He can't keep getting away with this
>>
>>63763006
no because the script was trash but he was able to direct a decent flick out of it
>>
>>63764838

there's an adorable moment where finn convinces him to keep a secret from rey, gives him a thumbs up and then BB8 pulls out a lighter with a flame that looks like a thumbs up

he's not so much comic relief as he is cute relief, I don't think he does anything that progresses the plot other than at the start where he has the plot device they need to take to the resistance
>>
Yes.

He's the literal definition of a Hack.

Which isn't/wasn't inherently an insult.

He was brought on to deliver a very safe nostalgia driven relaunch of a franchise that would not offend anyone and set up strands for multiple extra entries into the franchise.

He did his job well enough.

The guys film roster to date is 3 entries in other peoples franchises and a Spileberg homage.

He's not trying to be the next Coen Brothers. He's the next Richard Donner or John McTiernan. Although he's not much of a director and not on that level obviously.

When you think about it, he had a hell of a difficult job to pull off here, and he did it satisfactorily.
>>
>>63765371
It's the film format. Same complaints were heard about Mission Impossible Rogue Nation
>>
>>63763006
I think the movie reinforces that Kasdan is a hack. Jar Jar is just a fanboy.
>>
>Its been nearly a decade and both sides' technology has barely progressed
>>
>>63763584

Luke was a whiny cry baby bitch for most of A New Hope.
>>
>>63765317
I haven't seen Trevorreow's work so I can't make any assumptions by him, but Johnson is the definition of a sophomoric tryhard.

I don't think even people who like his work could stand Brick
>>
>>63765450
>Richard Donner
Dick has some conviction
Abrams is spineless
>>
>>63764809

This is basically to appeal to modern audiences, especially the international market.

It's like half of China has ADD or something.
>>
>>63765448
So like R2, but cuter basically
>>
>>63763128
i thought you were gonna say cuck
>>
At least this film which had some odious wasted opportunities wasn't a completely wasted opportunity like Super 8.
>>
>>63765745

pretty much
he's also a bit more self reliant, there's a part when they're flying in the millennium falcon spinning all around and at first bb8 starts going up in the air and slamming on the ground but then the next time he shoots out these grappling hook things that keep him tied down, and then later he uses the same things to get up out of a hole
I think he's faster than R2 as well so it's not quite as awkward when they're running away from something
>>
>>63765884
>wasted opportunity like Super 8
Elle Fanning's best film
>>
>>63765924
And what could've been a genre classic of a 70s domestic adventure gone rogue style film.
>>
>>63764788
>I mean, he has a kid with Mara Jade in the books, but I doubt she's going to be re-made canon.
It'll be Jare Made, the totally OC character by Disney
>>
>>63765555

>wasting quads on that opinion

Brick is great m8.
>>
>>63763006
Kinda. Why did it have to be an incomplete map? Why couldn't they just save it for after they fucked up the first order's superweapon?
>>
>>63765085
I noticed it in the scene after the cantina part, where they land on whatever planet it was where the Resistance are based at, there was a cut to Leia, and it went really blurry then when it cut to something else it was fine. Best way I could describe it is if it had been upscaled somehow
>>
>>63765457

Same problems are apparent in Sicario, which was Alexa/Digital.

Pan too fast at 24fps and you're gonna get blur.
>>
>>63766023
he's just as obnoxious as joss whedon in my opinion
>>
i just got back from it and yes
literally the biggest disappointment of the year right after mad max 4 and before jurassic world
>>
>>63763169
it being so autobigraphical probably helped a lot
>>
>>63766227

Their styles are so entirely different I don't even know what the point of comparison is.
>>
>>63763169
>Except the cheesy bio-ending.
Said no one ever.

The kids had one amazing night then went on with their inglorious lives.
>>
>>63763006
He's a competant Hack.

He will never create anything, let alone something interesting, but what he does hack off to create his hack films, he hacks well at.

Because they are hack jobs, they are completely superficial films, even stuff like Cloverfield or Super 8
>>
>>63763542
>Daisy is awful

fucking no. She took that close to mary-sue bullshit writing for her character and made it actually likeable but still OP as fuck.
>>
>>63766472

>Super 8

>"I want this film to feel like classic era Spielberg"

>"Cool. What's it about anyway?"

>"Huh? What do you mean?"

>"The story...?"

>"Wait, wut? We're meant to have a story?"

It 100% felt like a Spielberg mash up highlight reel made for Youtube.

Why would he not even think about hiring a writer or buying a book or something to weld his fetish onto?
>>
That fucking helicopter panoramic shot at the end was so hacky that it hurt
>>
>>63763542
>Oscar Isaac as main character
Please this
Dude has so much charisma only Harrison Ford can compare
>>
>>63767366

daisy is cute and has a good accent but I have to agree her character is a bit too naturally good at everything, particularly using the force with zero training
>>
>>63764106
Luke's problem was that he didn't believe in his own abilities. Remember when Yoda is training him? He was full of doubt.
>>
>>63768331

Rey could have done with a flaw or two. There's the thing about her being lonely and wanting to stay on jakku in case her parents come back but it's not explored much and straight out ignored after the half way point of the movie
>>
>>63763006
Yes
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.