[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is The Force Awakens possibly the most disappointing release
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6
File: HAN BOLO.jpg (563 KB, 1600x752) Image search: [Google]
HAN BOLO.jpg
563 KB, 1600x752
Is The Force Awakens possibly the most disappointing release in cinema history?
>>
no it's not you contrarian faggot, it's a great star wars sequel
>>
>>63739159
No, because I had zero expectations from JewJew.
>>
>>63739172
>sequel

I don't think you know the meaning of that word.
>>
>>63739159
very possible considering the hype
>>
>>63739159

I've yet to see someone say it was a bad movie who didn't already go into it with that expectation

Shitposters will be shitposters
>>
>>63739172
JJ, pls go.
>>
>>63739424
Most critics are saying it was average.
>>
>>63739424
literally all imdb user reviews say it sucks
>>
>>63739458
All of IMDb says your mum sucks too.
>>
>>63739159
you haven't even watched it
>>
>>63739549
you rekd me JJ
>>
>>63739457

average != bad
>>
File: 1388864991738.gif (2 MB, 260x264) Image search: [Google]
1388864991738.gif
2 MB, 260x264
>Reading a review online
>Get to the following paragraph

Finn is black, and an interracial romance that might have seemed daring a decade or so ago now seems smart and exactly right, but that’s only one of many notable things about the character, and the wonderfully buoyant actor who plays him.

>Read the critic's name
>Joe Morgenstern
>mfw
>>
>>63739575
/pol/ is always right

even on /tv/
>>
>>63739458
that's actually amazing, as imdb has one of the most hype-prone userbases on the internet.
>>
>>63739574
For a movie this hyped and advertised that's supposed to pump life into a franchise and make 3 billion dollars average is really bad.
>>
>>63739591
Obviously not.
>>
>>63739575
Interracial relationships shouldn't be an issue in cinema, but when it's deliberately forced like in TFA due to JJ's desperation to be seen as "progressive", it's just awkward.
>>
>>63739668
I concur.
>>
The best words to describe this movie are lazy and safe.
>>
>>63739612

Average is still significantly better than the last 3 movies in the series, it's more than enough to get people back interested in star wars
>>
i think there a multiple reasons why there is such a negative backlash
a) people were really burned by the prequels and this skews their view of anything star wars related besides on OT
b) people have seen it yet and are just shitposting
c) just being contrarian
Its not a perfect movie but how anyone can say its nothing but a piece of shit is beyond me. I was incredibly sceptical going into this movie and i thought it would be garbage, but i was really surprised by how much i enjoyed it. It really felt like a Star Wars movie.
>>
>>63739172

t. JJ Barbossa
>>
>>63739700

lazy is a bit subjective but I definitely agree on safe
>>
People moaning here are just doing it for attention. It was an awesome film that had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through despite it basically being a film setting up the others in the sequel.
Stop finding reasons to try to be different from everyone else.
>>
troll
>>
>>63739715
>Average is still significantly better than the last 3 movies in the series

movies aren't good - bad in a linear scale.

trying to do something new entails taking risks. the prequels tried to do that and failed, TFA simply doesn't even bother and achieves a glib facsimile like the meme says.

if you care about creator intent at all then it's almost worthless regarding a 6/10 rehash as more of a success than a 3/10 failure with some interesting ideas.
>>
>>63739700
TFA has plenty of moments of incompetence, they just aren't as obvious as in the prequels.
>>
>>63739159
No, that was Eyes wide shut
>>
>>63739774
Hi JJ
>>
>>63739159
you forgot the meme arrow
>>
>>63739668
Name an interracial romance that isnt forced

Hard mode: no white guy + asian qt
>>
>>63739794
If you buried a gold nugget in a pile of shit, people would still be pissed about the shit, and a lot wouldn't even bother to try to get the gold.

The prequels had some good ideas. They were expressed horribly and in such a way as they were almost lost completely on anyone that wasn't george lucas.
>>
I'm gonna see it a week later, so I support the cinema and not Disney
>>
>>63739159
no you retarded faggot, phantom menace was

there have been documentaries made on how disappointing phantom menace was
>>
>>63739774
The whole movie was good, i don't understand why all the cucklords are so salted.
>>
>>63739856
asian male + black QT
>>
In order for something to disappoint, there must have been expectations.

Everyone knew disney would just remake anh.
>>
>>63739727
This by miles, no its not a 10/10 but it comes close
>>
>>63739883
we have standards
>>
>>63739856
Any one in Bond movies.
>>
>>63739424
they haven't said it was GREAT either. it's just... meh
>>
>>63739877

Well done, would you like a cookie?
>>
>>63739424
I was excited, and thought it was bad.

I thought the trailers looked great (apart from the ugly stormtrooper character), but I was a bit worried by how bland the cinematography was in the last trailer, and how soul-less the world looked. That was the only warning sign that dampened my excitement.
>>
>>63740010
What kind?
>>
Is it true they never explain the factions? Like, how did the First Order or this Resistance thing formed? No sense of what actually happened to the galaxy after Episode VI?
>>
>>63740021

It's filled with self-righteousness with a hint of self-loathing. Sounds like your flavour.
>>
>>63740034
yes they follow Lucas's "never explain anything ever" philosophy of writing
>>
I enjoyed it despite entering the cinema skeptical. I don't want to paint with a mile wide brush, but all people saying it was 'absolute shit' are butthurt shitposters that are upset a kike has foiled them again.
>>
>>63740063

this desu
>>
>>63740034

I don't believe they did so in the original trilogy, it will most likely be explained in the next movie by Luke skywalker
>>
>>63740034
Nothing. Oh whoop de doo we suddenly have a new order that have the resources to secretly build a fucking planet without anyone noticing
>>
>>63740054
seconded
>>
>>63740050
>self-righteousness with a hint of self-loathing
chocolate macadamia?
>>
>>63739658
denial is not a state you want to live in, anon
>>
>>63739957
Oh yeah, than tell us how you would have made the movie differently. Maybe JJ should have just pandered to the die-hard cucklords and otaku's instead of making a movie that was fun for everyone.
>>
>>63740063
If JJ would have show me padme and leia fucking for 2 hours and half, I possibly would have enjoy it but still be desapointed about the quality of this new star wars.
This is 2 differents things.
>>
>Bland acting
>Cringey dialogues
>Lazy writing

These are my main complaints.
>>
>>63740121
Fair call I guess. I'm going to go with "could have been better, but was not nearly as tragic as the prequel trilogy."
>>
>>63740083
>>63740075
Wow fuck this movie, seriously it's like they forgot they're making a sequel to Return of the Jedi
>>
>>63739727
>someone has differing opinion from you
>Oh, he must be lying
Fuck off faggot with your 3rd grade argumentitive skills
>>
>>63740138
Holy fuck some of those lines were bazinga-tier cringey
>>
>>63740113
>Maybe JJ should have just pandered to the die-hard cucklords and otaku's

that's exactly what he thought he was doing, you hilariously unselfaware normie.

people wanted original stories that had the same quality and tone as the first two Star Wars films. the prequels were a legitimately more sincere attempt to give us that even if they were almost totally inept.
>>
>>63739424
I really wanted it to be good. I still think that some of the characters are great. The story was just such a let down though.
>>
>>63740138
Finn felt like such a weird character. Someone who's been kidnapped from his parents and raised as a soldier has this constant joking around and bantz going on. I figured he'd be more reserved and un-trusting, but I guess to make a movie with actual characters entertaining you'd need good writing. He was advertised as the main character yet was mainly a comic relief
>>
>>63739574
perspective you fucking faggy cunt

im pretty sure a .500 win season for a team like the pats is widely considered a failure but shit teams would love to be average
>>
>>63739159
Ending, staredown competition?
>>
>>63740034
Well you think seeing as The Empire wouldn't have completely collapsed just because it's leader died. It's just a massive power vacuum
>>
>>63740138

And your opinion is wrong on all fronts.

The acting was the best Star Wars has ever had
Cringy dialogues has always been a Star Wars thing
>>
>>63740246
desu I really liked Finn, I was even falling for the "Boyega is an ugly nigger actor" meme that was going about but he actually has decent charisma and I really like the chemistry between him and Poh.
>>
>>63740344
the logical consequence of the Empire's collapse would be a range of smaller political units with various different forms of government, some of them effectively mini-empires

but yeah, that would have required proper writing so no chance.
>>
>>63740365
>Cringy dialogues has always been a Star Wars thing
what are some cringy dialogues from the OT
>>
>>63740495

'It's a trap'
'You need more scoundrel in your life'
The line about shooting womp rats back home
Lot lots more too...

Not that I'm complaining, I quite like it
>>
>>63740387
>I really like the chemistry between him and Poh.
For real? I though that was probably the most hamfisted thing in the entire movie, "look two guys have a bromance laughing and cheering even though they've known for 2 minutes, this is what Luke and Han had you like this right?". There was no development, they just suddenly started acting like they had known each others for years

I never really paid any mind to the Boyega hate here and don't generally care about that kind of stuff, so I just watched it and judged his character from writing and acting perspective, without prejudice. He acted it out good and was a good presence on the screen, but the character was written pretty badly. Same as Poe honestly, though I felt like Oscar Isaac didn't really know what his character... was. He was just there kind "oh hey I'm a pilot in star wars I'm a bit cheeky like Solo this is awesome". I KNOW he's a good actor, which leads me to believe it was a direction problem

Kylo Ren was definitely a well written character and acted brilliantly. Perhaps he just stood out because all the other 3 main characters (Finn, Rey, Poe) felt so much like rip-offs from the original trilogy. In any case, he was the best part of the movie
>>
>>63740417
Well to be honest I don't think a movie about the remnants of The Empire fighting for control would actually be that good, it'd be trade routes all over again. It's pretty safe to assume that The First Order is literally just what happened to The Empire after the events of RotJ and Supreme Leader Snoke is the new leader. Do you often get off on thinking you're a lot smarter than you actually are?
>>
>>63740556
They were both obviously just very excited to be getting off the ship. I thought Poh was pretty good, that opening scene with him in that village was great. I'm with you about Kylo Ren, I don't understand the hate he's getting
>>
>>63739878
>documentaries
an attention whore nerd with a funny voice posted an hour long rant on youtube.
>>
>>63740641
Are you thick or just pretending?
>>
>>63740684
#rekt
>>
>>63739159

It felt so shamelessly cheap. I try not to be cynical, but you cannot look me in the eyes and tell me that they did not copy the plot of A New Hope.
>>
>>63740684
>t. fat nerd who made a "documentary" on youtube

didn't mean to offend you, piece of shit.
>>
>>63740971
>>63740991
Thick it is then.
>>
>>63739159
It's mediocre, which is probably even more disappointing than it being straight up shit like the prequels.
Typical Abrams.
Take something original like star trek, then add lens flare and explosions to turn into every other soulless cash in.
>>
>>63740365
>Best acting Star Wars has ever had

That would be Christopher Lee as Dooku in Episode II.
>>
>>63739809
it's better than every prequel imo
>>
File: 1435312575431.gif (439 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1435312575431.gif
439 KB, 640x360
>>63741223
This board never fails to amaze me.
>>
>>63740556
i thought their rapport was okay

>instantly recognize in the other person the solution to all your problems
>not falling in love with them immediately

it made sense to me
>>
Clearly it will never beat the disappointment factor of episode one.
>>
>>63740365
>And your opinion is wrong on all fronts

>*awkward standoff*
>Take that mask off, you don't need it!
>And what do you expect to see?
>The face of mah sohn!
>>
>>63739856
White male + any color woman
>>
>>63741268
http://youtu.be/GaXHDpCe-KI

>It may be difficult to secure your release...
>>
>>63741458
What's cringy about that?
>>
>>63739159
No one was expecting it to be any good.
>>
>>63739727
People are disappointed because it's too similar to A New Hope in plot and certain beloved characters aren't treated the way people expected.

The Force Awakens appears to be made similar to Star Trek Into Darkness in terms of rehashing plot lines
>>
>>63740000
checked
>>
File: Anne Quadsaway.png (444 KB, 902x669) Image search: [Google]
Anne Quadsaway.png
444 KB, 902x669
>>63740000
>>
>>63739159
I've never been more disappointed.
>>
>>63743292
Your mum feels the same way about you, senpai.
>>
>>63743516
Holy FUCKING SHIT

CALL THE AMBULANCE
>>
For those who have seen it, do they have some form of the Fox fanfare at ther start?
>>
File: al po laff.gif (2 MB, 529x276) Image search: [Google]
al po laff.gif
2 MB, 529x276
>>63743516
rekt
>>
off!
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.