[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Childhood's End Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 14
File: 3nQ9Cr3wxH44stlrOXXzzAUOxcq.jpg (23 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
3nQ9Cr3wxH44stlrOXXzzAUOxcq.jpg
23 KB, 300x450
The first part was okay then they totally fucked up the second part. Now let's see how they fuck up the Overmind.
>>
Come on /tv/, it's starting. We should see this crap to the end.
>>
>>63725129
I'm gonna binge this how unfaithful has it been
>>
I'm here
>>
>>63725062
how exactly did they fuck up the second part?
>>
Read the book but haven't watched the TV series yet
How'd they fuck up the second part?
>>
>New Athens

aw yes here we go
>>
>>63725282
they didn't really, they just altered the way some stuff happened, the end result is still on course
>>
>>63725168
about as unfaithful as Arthur C. Clarke's "update" to the story from the '50s version to the '80s or whatever
>>
>>63725333

its still bs, just like the ashurans, we wouldn't allow ourselves to be stunted in that way
>>
>>63725168
the underlying tone is faithful, I guess, but there are a bunch of huge changes. None that really matter tbqh. The only one that's bugged me so far is that what's his face got blasted in the gut. Don't remember if the sterilizing shit was in the book, but that was kinda dumb too.
>>
>>63725428
I liked the sterilizing bit, he did it out of some kind of fucked up alien bromantic desire to spare is husbando grief
>>
Nihilistic dehumanizing bullshit.

/spit
>>
File: 1431899585809.jpg (24 KB, 316x286) Image search: [Google]
1431899585809.jpg
24 KB, 316x286
>>63725062
Read the story, knew it was going to be crap. Ending wasn't the type of pay-off ending you need for a big screen event. If you already know the story, it would either be anticlimactic because you know the how all the mysteries resolve or it would be frustrating because they'd change it. Not watching, and feeling good about that decision.
Rama would have the same problems. Clarke was a top tier futurist but a shit storyteller.
>>
>tfw you have to wait for a torrent and all the dumb people who still pay for outdated distribution methods get to see it first

;_;
>>
>>63725489
the payoff wasn't there. Show did a bad job of establishing a close relationship. It was cheap and poorly executed.
>>
>>63725696
So dumb we're waiting on nothing, faget.
>>
I thought New Athens was supposed to be a bigoted shithole.
>>
>>63725776
it is, relative to the rest.
>>
>>63725776
we're only seeing the highlights, give it some time
>>
What's with the torrent blackout?
>>
>>63725776

so normal pathway of humanity is a bigoted shithole?

Better to be alien and have space denied to us so we can go join big carebear hug in the sky?
>>
Why do the children hate the earth so much

This doesn't seem to be as Christian as C.S. Lewis' space trilogy
>>
>>63725842

Search without the apostrophe
>>
I want the bookfags to leave, stop comparing it EVERY FUCKING THREAD.

Okay show so far though.
>>
Look at all this shit nobody asked for.
>>
Constant fucking commercials
>>
>>63727793
It's horrible.
>>
>>63727435

Absolutely none of this is believable in the slightest.

No organized military response?

We let them take all of our children and doom humanity?

A fucking shotgun dropped demon guy, we have how many nukes on the planet?

Are you fucking kidding me? This is retarded, nihilistic shit
>>
>>63727793
I bet if you cut out all the commercial breaks and all the stuff that wasn't in the books this would be the length of an average movie.
>>
>>63727903
I haven't read the books, what have they added?
>>
literally 5 straight minutes of commercials
>>
>>63727872
In the book it's 50 years and we basically have no military anymore. Everyone is docile.
>>
>>63727939
All the subplots involving Ricky.
>>
>>63728003

A forced evolution into some entity that is going around the cosmos vacuuming up sentient species to feed itself is some kind of terrifying play on monotheist dogma.
>>
>Overmind is now an Indonesian woman

Dropped
>>
>>63727967
5 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials.
>>
>Natalie Dormer in Jump Scares: The Movie
>>
>>63728250
It just represented itself with an image from his mind, his waifu.
>>
>fires 3 shots without cycling the bolt
lol
>>
Last human went out crying like a bitch nigga.
>>
File: ChildhoodsEnd(1stEd).jpg (33 KB, 215x332) Image search: [Google]
ChildhoodsEnd(1stEd).jpg
33 KB, 215x332
>Overmind was just a beam of light and a human avatar
>No feral children

Damn it, I wanted a giant eyeball!
>>
>>63725062

Fuck all of this.
>>
Meh. And that is pretty much it.
>>
>>63728413
They were supposed to show the cities full of Overlords and they were all supposed to pray toward the big rainbow
>>
RIP
>>
magicians?
>>
I wish someone had asked Arthur C Clarke if he thought that was supposed to be a happy ending.
>>
Is it over? Is the show worth watching?
>>
>>63728932

Fuck this show.
>>
>>63728932
No, it's a waste of time.
>>
>>63728966
>>63728967

Not even surprised. If it were on any other channel I probably would have taken the time to watch this.
>>
>>63728932
Not really. It is an interesting story, just not well suited for the TV format.
>>
>>63728930

It's meant to be ambiguous. It can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.
>>
Anticlimactic ending is anticlimactic.
>>
well just watched it , liked it, should I read the book or what?
>>
>>63729024

oh it was shown in an interesting way, the message infuriates me, I want to drag whoever created this out of the ground and light them on fire.
>>
>>63729071
wait for the musical adaptation
>>
>>63729071

The book is only like 200 pages nigga
>>
This magician show is giving me some unexpected feels from the party scenes.
Might need to watch it.
>>
So, the world ends in the cunny of a cunny. Not surprised.
>>
>>63729069
Pretty much this, what was the fucking point?
>>
>>63729230
That's the point.
>>
Mostly incredibly weak performances. I especially hated that fat faced mick from Star Trek. Looked cheap.
>>
>>63728930

Humanity could "ascend" and join the collected consciousness of the universe, I call that a happy ending. The Overlords have it shitty because they're forever stuck where they are.
>>
Is there a scene here where they go to their home planet and its suppose to be like hell? Flying demon like creatures and shit.
>>
>>63728910
I habeeb it. Just never read the book. I might have to now. Seemed like it could have been bretty gud.
>>
>>63729334
After being disarmed and sterilized, and after having your children fucked with to the point where they're part of a happy telepathic hivemind that you don't even get to take part in. To know your world, your species, your family, and your culture ends just as surely as if a black hole vacuumed up the Earth. It's a horror story masquerading as science fiction. Nihilistic drivel.

Who besides a fucking NEET would call THAT a happy fucking ending?
>>
>>63725062
This shit was retarded.
>>
Book sucked and had fedoracore elements. Also it was statist as fuck
>>
>>63725062
>shitty book makes shittier miniseries
>>
>>63729658
It's just raising more existential questions. It's not necessarily supposed to be a pure happy ending, but generalizing that only a NEET could find positives in it is retarded
>>
Why only children?
>>
>>63729861
This.
>>63730193
Because it's called Childhood's End.
>>
>dat Remy Lacroix looking chick on the Magicians

Black Dean got fucked up though, hyped to see what'll happen next
>>
File: 1449972816551.png (548 KB, 623x630) Image search: [Google]
1449972816551.png
548 KB, 623x630
>>63725062
>no nude kid orgy
>>
>>63731157
There were never orgies. They just did synchronized weird dance movements in formation for years
>>
>>63730936
>>63730193
That name is for humanity's end, not actual children. This existence is "childhood" to the overfiend entiy. Once humanity develops and becomes part of the overfiend their childhood as a species is over.
>>
>>63731192
The had sex in a bit muddy field, ate food (vegetables only), and everything else prior to the mindless dancing thing where they abstained from everything and swept up the entire planet into whateverthefuck. I think that is only in the older pre-edited version of the book, not the 80s version of the book.
>>
>>63729658
Were our ancestors' lives meaningless just because they never got to see or understand the future generations? Everything changes and it always has. The world, families, or cultures from 6 thousand years ago no longer exist either, but I doubt you consider it some terrible catastrophe.
>>
>>63728250
They've shown the over mind already? What the fuck is the show gonna be about?
They didn't even show the aliens until halfway through the book
>>
>>63731411
They cut pretty much all the remotely complex parts of the book and inserted shitty melodrama instead.
>>
>>63729334
>Humanity
Opinion discarded. The children aren't human, humanity is extinct, and the Overmind is literally Brahman. They've lost their individuality.
>>
>>63731411
It's just a miniseries, and it's over.
>>
Is Milo the next Commander Shepard
>>
So Jennifer was just chilling there swirling for 85 years
>>
>>63729349
In the book, yes, Milo did go into an overlord city, and they were flying around. Or more like gliding anyway.
>>
what you do think of Overlords?
>>
>black people outlive white people
/pol/ btfo

also, as far as i can tell the series was very loyal to the source material, and it was well made, so i guess syfy did something good after bsg. though i actually liked caprica
>>
>>63725062
I never read the book. The series seems pretty good though.

What is the main differences?
>>
Did they just rip off Madoka
>>
File: 1392714716376.jpg (62 KB, 496x501) Image search: [Google]
1392714716376.jpg
62 KB, 496x501
>>63727872
>Humanity is finally ready to be one with God aka the universal consciousness
>Angels working for God come and give us peace and usher in the transition in THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY
>BUTT MUHH military and human resistance

You sound like a fucking fag. What exactly do you expect man-kind to do to God? Bitch at him? Complain?

Protip: THE OVER-MIND DID NOTHING WRONG. It was humanities time to evolve and the next step is for humanity to become one with God. It is litterly the shit 99% of humans want RIGHT FUCKING NOW! BUT YOU FUCKING COMPLAIN WHEN YOU KIDS GET TO DO IT? WTF?
>>
>>63733227
What do a bunch of weird telekinetic kids get to add to the universal consciousness? Knowledge of mobiles and diaper soilings?
>>
File: mC7cTyN3.jpg (32 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
mC7cTyN3.jpg
32 KB, 512x512
>>63732917
>black people were the first humans
>black people were the last humans

POETRY
O
E
T
R
Y

>i actually liked caprica

I thought I was the only one. Hug me Anon!
>>
>>63733227
Actually, demons tricked humanity into ascending so that their souls were given over to their master instead of ascending into their own hivemind where they could do battle with the rest of the universe.
>>
This was shit, couldn't even finish it.
>>
>>63733269
>consciousness is about knowledge

U WUT M8? You seem to be missing the whole fucking point of the series. The series makes it perfectly clear that physical shit is trivial, even knowledge of the physical realm isn't really important (at that stage of human evolution). It's why the angels and over-mind don't even give a flying fuck about what they do. It's why people and memories can litterly be interchanged.

The whole fucking show is about the "soul" or "essence of a person". This is further compounded that their is a sum "essence of humanity". Mankind's next state was to shed the physical and exist as collective souls (the little girl). Literally humanity personified. This new "humanity" exists as part of what we would consider "God". Which is just another metaphor for some higher plan of existence.

Again, the Over-mind did nothing wrong.
>>
>>63728851
made me lol
>>
>>63733406
That is another perfectly valid interpretation. Although there is no way humanity could have known either way. It's not like some other over-mind came to help us or warn us. And it's not like we had any real knowledge of the overlords or god or whatever the fuck was really going on.

There was no "villain" in the series (except maybe for the religious chicks and O'Brien). There was no real threat. All that was every presented was basically "time to fucking grown up humanity, this is the next strange" shit. A message that could come equally from a loving god or an evil god. At that point I'm not even sure there is a real difference.

However, they do make a point to show that the angels go through extraordinary fucking lengths just to comfort people. If the over-mind was Noob Saibot and just needed more souls, I don't see the point in all this extra "comfort" for Milo or Ricky.

All I can do is judge the demons/angels/god based on their actions in the show. And they didn't seem to do anything wrong.
>>
>>63733673
>Humanity became the little girl
>The Overlords envy mankind
>They just want to be the little girl
>>
File: 1450266842562.jpg (512 KB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
1450266842562.jpg
512 KB, 1200x1800
>>63734236
Pretty much senpai

>implying you wouldn't want to be the spiritual embodiment of "mankind" going on adventures in some higher abstract sprint plane as part of "GOD"

I wonder if "mankind" joins a group of young tough street she hoods? I wonder if they tease older male "species personifications"?
>>
How many Sri Lanka boy's do you think he raped.
>>
so did normal humans transcend or were they just lied to?
>>
>>63734822
Did you even watch the fucking thing?
>>
>>63734822
Just lied to. One of the things they gloss over, even in the book is how after the kids leave them behind the rest of humanity goes full children of men. One interesting thing they only barely mention in the book was that some people just turned to war as a kind of cathartic release, "almost making it into a game," as Karellan says.
>>
>Satanic aliens must help mankind "progress" to be more enlightened. This enlightenment consists of PETA membership, a world government, feminism, and child sacrifice
Was this Sri Lankan Savile serious? It seems awfully close to bait
>>
>>63734822
>>63734958
They aren't lied too though. They never tell the adults they will transcend.
>>
>>63735049
>world government and peace are bad

Cool story dumbfuck
>>
>>63735322
>cessation of the propagation of the human race and annihilation of Earth is good
Yeah, pretty sure that pederast had a screw loose or at best was just fucking with people (other than the staff in his Sri Lankan mansion)
>>
File: DoctorJimmy.webm (3 MB, 690x534) Image search: [Google]
DoctorJimmy.webm
3 MB, 690x534
>>63735322
>>63735049
>>63735592
>>
>>63731342

What nonsense are you pulling out of your ass?

When you're forced away from the natural path of evolution onto someone elses, that is where it becomes a problem.

He even says, "they're not your children anymore"

so what happened to billions of humans in 80 years?

Secondly they turn our children into something else, and suck them into an alien hivemind, and these bastardized mutant sentients who think they've achieved all they can as a species go around raping other species into joining this thing?

What the fuck.
>>
>What I liked
-Karellen. The design and Charles Dance
-The story itself. Sure they weren't getting all the nuanced stuff, but they got enough of it
-The effects. SyFy occasionally manages to reign themselves in and either not completely cheese or, or try for too much. They managed it here
-Some of the changes in Stormgren and the lack of true generational leaps (15 years instead of 50). While that ruins part of the generational stuff, it still worked for the purpose of the miniseries
-Part 1 was pretty damn good narrative-wise, with just enough set up to keep me invested

What I didn't like
-Part 2 was was boring, even by the standards of the miniseries
-Character development is almost non-existent. When Part 3 ended I still couldn't tell you much about any character that wasn't Karellen, Stormgren, or Milo
-That religious chick. Like even the News Media guy was understandable for being a mix of a paranoid nutjob, and a rip on conservative news outlets. But the religious chick was meant to represent the more nuanced ideas of religion in a utopia led by aliens that look like demons with science that looks like magic, and instead she came off (outside of one scene) as completely irrational and just crazy with no god damn reason for doing anything that she did.
>>
>>63733227

who are you kidding, that thing isn't a god, it is a collected consciousness organism made up of parts of many different species

How the fuck do you know what it is beyond being a hive mind and what the demons told milo?

I mean if it was god, why the fuck didn't it take rest of humanity?

Humanity just deserved to die off after our civilization was pacified and children stolen?

Its actions are more like a giant alien parasite that destroys sentient species.

"The stars are not for man. "

So we cannot go to stars and defend ourselves?

This entire thing is shit, and you're shit for defending it.
>>
>>63736039
They're not changed by the overseers if I recall correctly, its stated that the overmind is the next stage of evolution for humanity kl,.
>>
>>63736135

nowhere is that stated, and how could humanity be apart of something without being changed first which is what it showed?

We could have created our own collective consciousness but I assume that is the purpose is to keep advanced forms from warring across the cosmos.
>>
File: 1435838612632.gif (104 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1435838612632.gif
104 KB, 500x282
>Over Powered "meme-something-soul-consciousness" galaxy predator and friends.

It was somewhat comfy and refreshing, had too much drama and needed more interesting ideas, the end was dumb but touching.
>>
So, instead of direct assimilation the Borg basically sent some in-betweeners (the Overlords) to inject their shit into humanity forcing a rapid acceleration in evolution that eventually destroys all of us that aren't born after the injection began.

Right.

And people thought this was a great story back in the 1950's when Clarke put out the original novel? I can understand that I suppose but in today's world, this is just garbage.

We don't need some "overmind" to destroy us: we're doing just fine on that one ourselves.
>>
>>63736966
-Flat affect movie critic detected. You obviously got your opinion by reading the wikipedia summary, without reading the work itself and missing the whole point of the story. Like every other "critic", you dismiss the work without actually reading it.
Now pull your pants up before you embarrass yourself further.
>>
Did the aliens turn out to look like the devil? I really liked that in the book.
>>
>>63738384
Yes. They did a good job with it too.
>>
>>63736039
>natural path of evolution
>forced onto someone elses

dude, whatever happens is the natural path of evolution, if someone nukes the shit out of the planet, that's nature doing its thing too.

if all human childen are sucked into and merged with an alien hivemind, that's still natural evolution.
>>
First part was great. Was genuinely surprised by the quality of it.

Second part was dull, and riddled with plot holes, I stuck with it though since it's a part of the book that isn't that critical to the overall story.

Then SyFy showed their true colors in the third part. Total fucking garbage and general raping of the story and what made it engaging.

I'm actually mad at myself for letting those fucks at SyFy fool me for a third of a mini-series.
>>
>>63738826

how was it raped? i was told the gist of the book ages ago but haven't had the chance to read it myself.

what changed?
>>
>>63738888

Mostly the brutality of the children's transformation and the relevant details about the Overmind and the Overlord's role in 'uplifting' species.

The forced romantic subplot was stupid as fuck too and rang extremely hollow with how it was resolved.

Basically, the best part of the book gets condensed into 15 minutes and key details are cut entirely.
>>
guys i know not totally relevant but what happened to the foundation series hbo was supposedly making?
>>
File: Overmind.png (1 MB, 900x936) Image search: [Google]
Overmind.png
1 MB, 900x936
>>63725062
>>
>>63735592
>cessation of the propagation of the human race and annihilation of Earth is good
You are describing the rapture, the apocalypse and every fucking story Christians not only believe but actually want.

Is no different than the rapture. Some people are saved, the rest of the planet is destroyed along with its culture and people who cannot be saved. Saved people go to God.
>>
So this was basically a scifi version of Christianity or what? I bawled like 50 times though. Good shit.
>>
>>63729658
>hivemind that you don't even get to take part in

That doesn't even make any sense. If you're part of a hivemind you're taking part of it by definition.
>>
>>63739685
fuck off foxfag
>>
>>63739213
>Mostly the brutality of the children's transformation and the relevant details about the Overmind and the Overlord's role in 'uplifting' species.
Someone elaborate on these things.
>>
File: Overlord.jpg (134 KB, 728x491) Image search: [Google]
Overlord.jpg
134 KB, 728x491
>>63741280
>>
>yo space demons Ima going to yo planet
>yo space demons get me back to ma planet
>>
I got really bored with the 3rd part because I hate childerns acting and even more so when they try to act creepy, I cant help but cringe
>>
This is some real Neon Genesis Evangelion tier shit.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.