[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any decent Godzilla box sets out there?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Godzilla_vs_biollante_poster.jpg (1 MB, 1960x2780) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla_vs_biollante_poster.jpg
1 MB, 1960x2780
Hey, it's Christmas time, you know!

I've watched a few Godzilla films and I've really dug them (original, vs. King Ghidora, vs. Destoroyah, vs. Biollante, and the lame G'14).

I was wondering if there are any decent set releases that have
a- the Japanese language with subs
b- Heisei era or later
c- spinoffs (Gamera, Mothra? these are just maybes)

In your opinion, are there any worthwhile Showa-era movies other than the original? I see a lot of goofy gifs posted and while they make me laugh I don't know if that translates into an entertaining movie.

I only ask because there are so many different releases, some of them shit bargain-bin stuff, others decent/flawed - but I'd like to hear what /tv/ Godzilla fans think.

If not, please just talk about your favorite Goji movies, or post funny Showa gifs. It's all good, trust me.
>>
File: Godzilla_vs_destroyer_poster_01.jpg (898 KB, 1989x2821) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla_vs_destroyer_poster_01.jpg
898 KB, 1989x2821
bump!
>>
Would also like to know
>>
>>63680183
>are there any worthwhile Showa-era movies other than the original? I see a lot of goofy gifs posted and while they make me laugh I don't know if that translates into an entertaining movie.

Real talk, are you under 18 and an edgelord?
>>
Classic media released one with half te Showa era with sub options ands it's relatively cheap.

Your best bet for the rest is the new blu rays

The only box set with all is in japan
>>
>>63681082
No, honest. But some of the older movies are a little dry, and I haven't seen enough to make an informed opinion - which is why I am asking for some.

It's not like this problem doesn't affect later movies. My OP shows Biollante, which I think despite a cool monster and premise, is very hit-and-miss in quality.
>>
>>63681123
>But some of the older movies are a little dry

Honestly, have no idea what you're talking about. At the worst, Showa films are ridiculously silly, but dry? That's pretty much the Heisei films with their anemic cinematography and endless scenes of humans staring at monitors of monsters fighting.
>>
>>63681242
Now let's by turn this into a Showa vs Heisei match off, I see enough of that shit on the TK forums
>>
Na my nig, I'm waiting on them coming to the UK as well.
>>
File: 91ZMClbw75L._SL1500_.jpg (352 KB, 1050x1500) Image search: [Google]
91ZMClbw75L._SL1500_.jpg
352 KB, 1050x1500
>>63681242
Yikes, sorry.

>>63681120
Thank you for the recommendation. I doubt the Japan set is region-free + English subs, and individual purchases add up. Too bad.
>>
>>63680183
>thinks showa is laughable

Ugh, this pleb shit. Watch films before 1980.
>>
File: godzilla-1954-poster-featured.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1429) Image search: [Google]
godzilla-1954-poster-featured.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1429
>>63681404
Too much hate for my OP. I was specifically asking for recommendations, if you've got them. No need to be so dismissive!

I would have never know this would have sparked off so many hot opinions around here.
>>
last bump!
>>
>>63682038
1954 was really annus mirabilis for Toho and Japanese movies in general.
>>
>>63682038
I hate that poster for its misleading promise that the movie features women getting their clothes partially torn off as godzilla carries them around
>>
>>63683905
lol, I noticed that too. I suppose it's very a propos the monster-movie craze of the period. It should have shown distraught mothers consoling their weeping children while Godzilla squished them into jelly.

Ha! Why couldn't G'14 be a bad enough dude to have some civilian casualties? Even that one dog makes it through unscathed!
>>
>>63684043
>no civilian casualties
>implying everyone made it out of that wave unscathed
>>
>>63684162
They don't focus on it though. For all the movie trying to make godzilla neutral at best, there is still a stadium full of clapping burgers cheering him on.
>>
>>63684556
So when the same thing happens in a superman movie everyone calls him a murderer (literally less focus than this one), but with Godzilla no one even pays a mind.
>>
>>63684584
Godzilla is like the General MacArthur to Superman's Eisenhower. He gets more leeway because unnecessary civilian casualties are just part of his heroic persona
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.