[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished reading the dark tower series a month before I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: TheDarkTowerJourney.jpg (58 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
TheDarkTowerJourney.jpg
58 KB, 486x720
Just finished reading the dark tower series a month before I heard they will be making a movie. Pretty excited but I find it strange that they are casting the gunslinger as a different race.

Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
I read the first book and thought it was awesome but tried to read the second and couldn't get more than 50 pages in. So I won't be watching it.
>>
Niggers, and what have you.
>>
>>63659883
Honestly glad it's actually going to be made, hopefully it isn't shit. As for Elba, he's a meme, they could find a better Roland in 2-3 weeks of casting.
>>
>>63659934
Weren't they written decades apart though? And the books got progressively weirder but I'm still pretty pumped to see how they make it more cohesive.
>>63659946
I don't really care about him being black, he is a cool actor but it seems really timed with all of this progressive bullshit
>>
>>63659883
What the fuck is that series about?

I read the first Dark Tower book years ago
>tfw what did I just read? nonsense

Tell the story in one paragraph, if that's even possible.
>>
>>63660098
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
>>
>>63660273
riveting
>>
File: 22481-23782.jpg (11 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
22481-23782.jpg
11 KB, 320x240
>>63659883
>>63660020
Did you mind Rico's race being changed from Filipino to white?
>>
>>63660020
>I don't really care about him being black

Why not? Roland is an archetypal cowboy, they weren't black, it doesn't make any sense. might aswell make a samurai film with mexicans.
>>
>>63660629
No, because nobody wants to look at a Filipino and nobody could take him seriously.
>>
File: black_cowboys.jpg (81 KB, 629x651) Image search: [Google]
black_cowboys.jpg
81 KB, 629x651
>>63660702
I think it's dumb, but I don't care that much. Roland is pretty clearly white and from an Arthurian (white) world. If he's black, though, what does it hurt? It'll just be a little different.

Also, they had plenty of black cowboys. There was also a samurai movie with Tom Cruise, you'll recall.
>>
>>63660808
>If he's black, though, what does it hurt?

the story? if you start changing things that matter and pretending they don't matter, it means you have no understanding of the material you're working with.
>>
a negro is going to try to remember the face of his father
>>
>>63660903
There is no way they don't mess with the story anyways (and they would be dumb not to, considering it's 7 books with tons of filler in them). Every adaptation necessarily involves changes. I don't think that Roland's race is a huge part of the book. I certainly didn't think of it at all until the Odetta scenes (and I can't think of another place where it matters).
>>
File: 7133-29304-17572.jpg (49 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
7133-29304-17572.jpg
49 KB, 600x400
>>63660971
>>
Isnt Roland supposed to be descended from King Arthur?
>>
>>63659883
>muh gud n evils
>>
>>63660801
Good of you to show your true colors.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.