[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Palpy want the treaty signed? Making the invasion legal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: SenatorPalpatine-TPM.png (53 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
SenatorPalpatine-TPM.png
53 KB, 200x150
Why did Palpy want the treaty signed?
Making the invasion legal would ruin his plan to get voted more power.
>>
>>63655942
his name is sheev
>>
Why didn't Yoda and Obi-Wan show the damning security recording of Anakin in Sheev's office to the senate?

Why did the senate even believe sheev's story about jedi being evil? How fucking stupid is everyone in this movie?
>>
I still dont understand the plot of episode 1.
>>
>>63655942
Why did the senate immediately call for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Vellorum when it had been literally one day since some foreign trade federation decided to start a blockade?

Why didn't they treat Sheev with the same resentment during the years of war that was constantly getting worse and worse
>>
>>63656153
The blockade was implied to have been going on for longer than a day. It was probably a few weeks.
Even in the movie, there is about a day and a half or so since they leave Naboo to when they get to Coruscant.
They called for the vote of no confidence not because of the blockade solely, but the implications throughout the whole scene of the Senate that he was not acting in the best interest of the Republic, was constantly listening to the bureaucrats and all that, and his taxing the trade routes caused the mess in the first place.

The reason Sheev didn't get the same vote was because he was taking action, kicking asses, and was acting like a modest asshole with the whole "No, don't give me this, this is too much for one man" act until he had emergency powers granted to him.
>>
Why did anyone give a shit about Naboo? It was just one little dinky planet among thousands in the galactic republic. so it was having a little scuffle with some local trade federation, why upend the entire senate over it?
>>
>>63656153
>Why did the senate immediately call for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Vellorum when it had been literally one day since some foreign trade federation decided to start a blockade?

Because the blockade had been going on for some time before the Jedi even arrived. Also it's mentioned that there was growing resentment for Vellorum.

>Why didn't they treat Sheev with the same resentment during the years of war that was constantly getting worse and worse

Because they'd given him emergency powers which probably gave him the power to stop them from calling for a vote of no confidence

>>63656054
>How fucking stupid is everyone in this movie?
How fucking stupid are politics in the real world?
>>
>>63656054
Sith magic.
He can cloud peoples reasoning abilities.
>>
>>63656351
>and his taxing the trade routes caused the mess in the first place
Wait, who was taxing what?
>>
>>63656351
holy shit this is convoluted
>>
>>63656392
>Why upend the entire senate over it?
Because already the Trade Federation was growing discontent with the Republic due to the trade route taxation stuff, etc, etc, etc.
Also, Sheev basically puppeteering the whole thing from behind the scenes. The point was that if Amidala signed the treaty, the Clone Wars conflict would have happened sooner, albeit with no clones, and possibly with Sheev backing the winning movement.

>>63656562
Chancellor Valorum. It says it in the opening crawl in like the second sentence. Basically he got influenced by bureaucrats who were influenced by Sheev to do this because shekels. So he ended up taxing trade routes on the Outer Rim territories because of a shitload of bullshit. Naturally, the Trade Federation, who were the owners of the trade franchises throughout the Outer Rims, were pretty pissed about having to give up a slice of their pie to greedy politicians for probably no benefit, so they listened to Sidious tell them "Yo, blockade this one planet, it'll give you legitimacy"

>>63656570
Yeah, the Prequel Trilogy didn't start off on the best and most easy to understand footing.
>>
>>63656751
>blah blah blah i have industrial-grade aspergers
jesus christ shut up no one cares about your fucking permavirgin basement prequel opinions
>>
>>63656765
Fuck off, I made this thread so some autist could help me understand the plot of this shitfest.
>>
>>63655942
who?
>>
God Palpy is so based
>>
palpatine's behind it all
>>
>>63656765
>aspergers
I work a legal career dealing with transactions, taxes, etc. all fucking day.
That, with also looking up and figuring out exactly what the fuck was going down in The Phantom Menace, is why I know what the hell is going on in it.
>>
>>63656570
Let's look very briefly at the script:

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-W...tom-Menace.html

Mentions of....

Trade route(s): 2
Embargo(es): 0
Tax(es)/taxation: 2

Regardless, the bulk of the movie's actual content has nothing to do with those things. It's about lightsaber battles and podraces and spaceships exploding. A New Hope is about an armored space station which was built to do away with the civil bureaucracy and put local governors directly in charge of various territorial jurisdictions as a means to greater consolidate power within the central government. To say that the bulk of the movie's story revolves around this political intrigue would be 100% accurate, but also incredibly misleading.

And I honestly fail to see what's wrong with mentioning slavery in a Star Wars movie. Is slavery not a concept children are allowed to know about? Children still learn about slavery in school. They actually tend to be quite interested in it.
>>
>>63655942
It was a win/win situation for him.
Either way he came out on top.
Amidala not signing the treaty got us the Prequel Trilogy
Amidala signing the treaty/dying would have sped up the time table like Sheev originally wanted.
He was basically pulling a Xanatos Gambit
>>
>>63656896
In Episode IV, Luke says that the value of his speeder has depreciated after he sells it offscreen. That's a more economic detail than any part of Episode I.
>>
>>63656960
Watto explains that he doesn't take republic credits. So call it even.
>>
>>63656993
I'll allow that. But nobody ever fixates on it, and it has nothing to do with Naboo.
>>
>>63656896
Not saying the bulk of the movie's content has to entirely do with all of that, but it does have to do with the backstory and knowing just exactly what was going down and why.

The movie itself is simply this: Two Jedi are sent to deal with a negotiation on a blockade of a planet. The blockaders are bad guys. Jedi must now fight through Naboo, rescue the Queen, and get her to Coruscant to get help with ending the blockade. They end up on a desert planet, meet a boy who is Space Jesus, help him win his freedom, and meet big bad's #2 man. They end up getting the Queen to where she needed to go, she decides the politicians aren't acting fast enough, puts on her big girl panties, and goes to take care of the oriental space aliens herself. They eventually do just that.

In all of this are laser swords, pew pew blasters, and big kablooey space battles.
>>
are you dense? palpatine didn't want the treaty signed, he was backstabbing the trade federation. the entire idea was to start a war.
>>
>>63657112
Then why send Darth Maul, reveal the existence of the Sith, and reveal a third actor manipulating stuff, to specifically capture the Queen so she could sign the treaty?
>>
>>63657112
>Ah yes... pwocess her
No, sign the treaty first.
>>
>>63657144
The treaty was plan A. Sidious believes it will be the easy way because the Queen is young and naive.

She escapes so he sends Maul.

She eludes Maul so he uses plan B which is directly using her to get a sympathy vote. This winds up working but not till the end of the movie.

He still wanted the treaty signed as a backup plan and to legitimize the events he's orchestrating. He sends Maul back as a test (since he already failed once) and as another show of his hand to the Jedi.
>>
File: darthmall.jpg (20 KB, 450x288) Image search: [Google]
darthmall.jpg
20 KB, 450x288
Why the fuck was the first we ever saw of Darth Maul a hologram?
>>
>>63657366
Because Lucas forgot how to do amazing reveals, and thought a hologram reveal rivaling the Emperor's reveal in Episode 5 would shock and wow audiences.

Honestly, if we never got to see him properly, only saw a hooded figure on Tatooine, and he didn't get properly revealed until the final fight, it would have been a better reveal
>>
>>63657420
The reveal is the horns
>>
>>63656765
and yet... here you are...
>>
File: Darth_Maul_profile.png (785 KB, 653x816) Image search: [Google]
Darth_Maul_profile.png
785 KB, 653x816
>>63657461
Glued horns.
>>
>>63655942
What's with everyone insisting on calling him Sheev? I get that it's his name but everyone always called him Palpatine until recently
>>
>>63657605
Jeez, I don't remember them looking so bad
>>
>>63657639
His name was only revealed recently.
>>
>>63657605
That is soooo bad
>>
I just watched these for the first time last week. I liked the prequels over the original. Sheev is the true visionary.
>>
>>63657663
I get that, but why the insistence on referring to him that way? Is it just Star Wars fans being super nerds?
>>
>>63657726
It's because the name sounds stupid.
>>
>>63657420

You'd make a bad director. Lucas already is one, but you'd be worse.
>>
>>63657777
Quads of truth, Lucas is a hack
>>
>>63657777
So then why use it? Why not just ignore it like the rest of the shitty stuff in Star Wars?
>>
I wish I had enough pimples to argue over some kids shit that some obese neckbeard wrote to make money.
>>
>>63657858

because /tv/, like all 4chan boards, is autistic
>>
>>63657828
Ok, how would you have revealed Darth Maul to the audiences?

inb4 I wouldn't - Sidious wouldn't want to get his hands dirty, so he had to send someone to stop the Queen, so logically it would be his apprentice.
>>
>>63658154
I wouldn't until those hanger doors open
>>
>>63657858

Because it's fun to make fun of how stupid it sounds
>>
>>63657858
For you
>>
>>63658314
>le fun xd
>>
>>63658251
I can see why Lucas wanted to use him on Tattooine because it gives the jedi a reason to go back.

But I also see the radical Jinn returning regardless if the encounter had been with some assassin droid or something. He did sense something behind the sham after all.
>>
>>63658154
Why did did he have to stop the queen?
>>
>>63656765
Actually kill yourself>>63657858
People like making fun of stupid things? How hard is that to understand lad
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.