[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The ACTUAL Star Wars Episode 7 will never be released
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 22
File: 1401329291017.jpg (52 KB, 286x475) Image search: [Google]
1401329291017.jpg
52 KB, 286x475
>The ACTUAL Star Wars Episode 7 will never be released
>>
good
>>
>stares at some qt3.14's paintings for hours
>tries to be like Thrawn and learn her secrets from her art
>still gets shot down
>>
why did lucas even let other people write these sequels?
>>
>>63654082
Thrawn did nothing wrong.
The galaxy would have been better had he won.
>not genocidal
>not xenophobic
>knew how to keep force users in their place
>knew about the Vong and was preparing accordingly
>woulnt have put up with New Republic's bickering bullshit.
>>
RIP in peace Luuke and Luuuke.
>>
Daily reminder that the artistic peak of the EU is responsible for Luuke Skywalker and the Master Art Appraiser Battle Tactician
>>
>>63655503
Lol, thank god this never became movie... CRAP
>>
File: 1409934703603.jpg (116 KB, 766x677) Image search: [Google]
1409934703603.jpg
116 KB, 766x677
Gee I am so sad I will never get to see Luuke on the big screen!
>>
File: pottery.jpg (99 KB, 659x659) Image search: [Google]
pottery.jpg
99 KB, 659x659
>Tfw no Sheeev

Feels bad.
>>
>>63654082
OP is right, everyone talking about the clone nonsense is missing the point. It can be adapted to screen and maintain fidelity without including rubbish like that
>>
>>63654134
Thrawn understood his adversaries culture. He only explained it through art because he's a collector.
>>
>>63655484
Now that you mention it, what exactly made thrawn a bad guy at all?
>>
>>63655779
*tips katana*
>>
>>63655503
>>63655591
There was nothing wrong with Luuke. It was just a way to differentiate between "Luke" on paper. Luuuke was just a fucking joke.
>>
Obligatory
>EU FAGS BLOWN OUT
>>
>>63655722
Where did the severed hand and lightsaber go then?
>>
Why not read original Science Fiction instead of licensed media?

There are two authors whose works are very Star Warsian I feel that you might enjoy
Leigh Bracketts Planetary Romance stories set on fantastic swashbuckling planets were a big influence on Lucas and she wrote the first draft of Empire Strikes Back
C.L. Moores Northwest Smith I feel had to be an influence, Smith is basically Han Solo on Mars
>>
>>63655825
>le empire
>le evil clone jedi master
>le assassins
>>
>>63656055
Why not read actual literature instead of Science Fiction?

In my opinion Homer is the greatest poet who ever lived, and The Iliad is the greatest work of literature the "west" has ever produced. Homer has a force, a directness, a rapidity, a purity, an honesty, a naturalness that is absolutely unique. Reading him is like reaching back into a prehistoric age when one could truly believe in the power of poetry to conjure up spirits and encompass an entire way of life. I absolutely encourage you to read The Iliad (at least), but for its own merit and not as some chronological box-checking exercise. The poem is still the most profound meditation on war, death and nihilism western culture has ever produced. It's also fucking fun.
>>
>le eu le bad
>disney's rushed copy of jacen/jaina where the characters have no history at all and you're just expected to care is so much better
pretty mediocre meme tbqhwy
>>
>>63655825
>He fought for the Empire.
That's it.
Other that opposing the protagonists for control of the galaxy (and there is plenty of evidence that the New Republic, while well intentioned, is riddled with the same bureaucratic inefficiencies that plagued the Republic prior to the Empire), there is very little Thrown does that can really be considered villainous or evil.
I suppose keeping those aliens in a state of duped servitude was kind of messed up, but that was just one of Vader's projects that Thrawn just kept going.
>>
>>63656163
homer is boring you fucking nerd.
>>
>>63656163
>le scifi not literature
>le citing homer
wow how original
let me tip my fedora to you good sir for your erudite contribution

The two works I cited were not intended to be literary, they were intended to be 'Star Warsian' - you must have missed the part where I explicitly said that

You want some literary SF?
Alright then.
Lets try some Leigh Brackett, Sam Delany, M. John Harrison, Gene Wolfe, Kim Stanley Robinson
>>
>>63655503
>>63655484
>>63654134
this shit just sounds so fucking gay

every night i thank the jew overlords at disney for putting you faggots in your place with their 4 quadrillion shekels
>>
File: 1449192659179.jpg (28 KB, 594x602) Image search: [Google]
1449192659179.jpg
28 KB, 594x602
>>63654082
Get that fanfiction out of here.
>>
>>63656486
Thrawn is monstrous in those three original works
he's been retroactively made a benign humane genius in later works
>>
I will be shocked if those hollywood drones ever make a scene like this again @1:12

https://youtu.be/L63In39n86c?t=1m12s
>>
>>63654082

What's the fucking point of TFA if no version of Thrawn is going to be in it?
>>
What did Zahn create that Lucas then stole for the prequels?

>Coruscant

What else?
>>
File: 1394817637867.png (1002 KB, 655x745) Image search: [Google]
1394817637867.png
1002 KB, 655x745
>>63654082
>I read Star Wars novels!
>>
>>63657314
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_expanded_universe#George_Lucas.27_use_of_the_Expanded_Universe
>>
>>63656415
>The two works I cited were not intended to be literary
>You want some literary SF?
>Alright then.
>Lets try some Leigh Brackett
legit lol'd
>>
File: agamemnon.jpg (31 KB, 285x459) Image search: [Google]
agamemnon.jpg
31 KB, 285x459
>>63656163

Nigga try hard. Even scholars agree that The Iliad has aged like shit and is valued more as historical text more than a work of drama or character and the large majority of themes are pointless or uninteresting to the modern Western world. Post The Odyssey next time if you want to at least make sense while you're being laughed at.
>>
>>63656368
>and there is plenty of evidence that the New Republic, while well intentioned, is riddled with the same bureaucratic inefficiencies that plagued the Republic prior to the Empire
So? It's not wrong to attempt to conquer a democratic government since it is in some way inefficient/not perfect?
>there is very little Thrawn does that can really be considered villainous
Besides galactic domination, of course.
>I suppose
kek
>was kind of messed up, but that was just one of Vader's projects that Thrawn just kept going
>W-Well, he didn't start it - he just continued it, that's all!
I guess it's alright then.

Thrawn is a cool guy though.
>>
>>63656415
argh, that should say Ursula K. LeGuin
Why did I say Leigh? Must have had her on my mind from the previous post
Retards will focus on this slip and ignore everything else
>>
>>63657455

There must be an god-tier autistism tvtropes or wookiepedia page on this subject citing how George got the ideas for characters falling in love or shaking hands or something from EU books.
>>
>people actually think episode vii will be good
>people actually think the leak isn't real despite the fact it's the same site that leaked the last two films

It's a rehash of ANH, sorry guys but that's all it is. You're just getting safe garbage.
>>
File: 5226.jpg (11 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
5226.jpg
11 KB, 298x298
>>63657455
>In the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye (released in 1978), C-3PO mentions that Darth Vader knows "all the proper code words and commands" to shut him down. This would make sense, given the revelation in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (released in 1999) that Vader himself built 3PO when he was a little boy. Whether Lucas was aware of this when making The Phantom Menace is unknown.
>>
>tfw Order 66 cookies are no longer canon
>>
>>63657620

Even if VII is a safe rehash of ANH, it'll still be the third best star wars movie only beaten by VI and V
>>
>>63657494
Don't call me a fucking nigger, nigger.
>>
G (George Lucas) canon is absolute canon. This category includes the final releases of the six films, the novelizations of the films, the radio dramas based on the films, the film scripts, and any material found in any other source (published or not) that comes directly from George Lucas himself. G canon outranks all other forms of canon.

T (Television) canon, which comprises Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels. This level of canon is considered to take precedence over C canon (see below), possibly due to the fact that George Lucas is directly involved with these shows. This level does not include any series before (including the Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series).

C (continuity) canon refers to the main body of EU work, and is the next most authoritative level of canon. All literature material published under the Star Wars label that doesn't fall into either G, T, S, or N canon is C canon and is considered authoritative as long as it isn't contradicted by G or T canon.

S (secondary) canon refers to older, less accurate, or less coherent EU works, which are immediately overwritten by anything in the main continuity of G and C canon, but are fully canon whenever they do not contradict something of higher canon.

N continuity material is also known as "non-canon" or "non-continuity" material. Lego Star Wars, Disney Infinity, Star Wars Land, "what-if" stories (such as those published under the Infinities label) and anything else that cannot at all fit into continuity is placed into this category. N canon is the only level that is truly non-canon.

D (Detours) canon refers to the canon of the animated parody television series Star Wars Detours. Despite being completely distinguishable from N canon, it is still completely non-canon. D canon is typically also classified separate from the other forms of canon.

>star wars fans are actually this autistic about canon
>>
How many people on /tv/ who talk shit about the EU have actually read more than 2 books?
>>
>>63657915
Which is exactly why there's no reason to pay for it
>>
>>63658031

>needing to read anything more than plot summaries to know that nothing of value was lost when disney put their foot down
>>
>>63658049

Did you pay to watch Return of the JEdi?
>>
>>63657984
>six films

EPISODE VII FAGGOTS BTFO

THRAWN IS CANON
>>
>>63657984
>D
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqslieMkcI
>>
>>63658031
Read them all (To the plant people from across the galaxy) and they were pretty bad. How should be conquer the galaxy, lets steal the death star prototype. How do the hutt's rule the Galaxy, lets build a death star in the middle of the asteroid belt with old computers, bad beams, and no shields.
>>
>>63658102

The entire concept of canon is actually fanon, there is no official word on the canonocity of the star wars universe other than EU is not canon
>>
>>63658102
A Thrawn might be, but not Grand Admiral Thrawn
>>
>>63658166
Sorry, only the 6 films count. Grand Admiral Thrawn is the highest level of C-canon and is not contradicted by any source.
>>
>>63658159

That's not true, Lucasfilm had this one Asian dude who was in charge of making sense of the canon for years. George just never gave much of a fuck himself
>>
>>63657494
>Even scholars agree that The Iliad has aged like shit
Oh yeah I'm sure you know what scholars think.
>>
>>63658310

But that asian dude's rule guide isn't that g/t/c/s/n/d canon tier list wikipedia has
the thing on wikipedia is a fanon definition of canon
>>
>>63654082

That book never Fucking happened.
>>
>>63654082
this wholes series was shit
>>
File: Malachor.jpg (147 KB, 524x508) Image search: [Google]
Malachor.jpg
147 KB, 524x508
>kylo's lightsaber design is ancient and dates back to the time of the great scourge of malachor

Heh
>>
>>63658130

How much of the post RotJ EU have you read?
>>
>>63658261
What I mean is that Thrawn could exist in the future, but it would not likely be the Thrawn from the expanded universe
>>
>>63658056

So, basically you haven't read any and you talk shit because /tv/ told you to.
>>
>>63658442
up till the vong's started fucking things up, I really tried to stay interested but I could not.
>>
>>63658031
>implying I would ever waste my team reading that shit when literally everything I've heard about it makes me roll my eyes so hard I can feel the optic nerves about to snap
>>
>>63658651
Well I wouldn't waste a whole team to read it, but you might try it yourself.
>>
>"History is on the move. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

>"On no fewer than four occasions I told the Emperor that I would not waste his troops and ships attacking an enemy which I was not yet prepared to defeat. The first time I refused he called me a traitor and gave my attack forces to someone else. After its destruction, he knew better than to ignore my commendations."

>"I am not the Lord Darth Vader--I do not spend my men recklessly. Nor do I take their deaths lightly."

>"Multiple species, with multiple viewpoints and racial philosophies, simply cannot hold power together for long. The dominant voice must certainly be wise enough to adopt ideas and methods from its allies and member peoples. But there must be a dominant voice, or there is only chaos. In this part of the galaxy, that voice is the Empire."

B A S E D

A

S

E

D
>>
File: 6799.gif (649 KB, 263x396) Image search: [Google]
6799.gif
649 KB, 263x396
>>63658754
>>
>>63658754
People want to trade this excellence for a guy who wanks it to Vader's burned mask and wields a fuzzy hilted lightsaber
>>
>>63658754
I love Thrawn, he is a fucking Genuis, but I almost want him to lead his own faction, not be tied to the dying first order.
>>
>>63654082
whoa that looks awesome in a vintage kind of way
>>
I had this book my entire life. One of those things my parents just randomly acquired over the years. never read it. didn't realize it was like, the best of all the EU material
>>
Who /Pellaeon/ here?
>>
>>63658601

Shame, the Vong arc was good and the arcs after them were good. Especially the one where Luke gets exiled from civilized space.
>>
>>63658921
>>63658926
Lucas didn't allow anyone to make Star Wars novels until Zahn came along in 1994 with this quality.

First time I saw it was at summer camp during its first printing. This massive neckbeard counselor was reading it. I knew I must have it. And so it was canon. And so it is.
>>
>>63658989
What about the one where a moon fell on Chewbacca
>>
>>63658989
really, Luke gets exiled? Maybe I will try again.
>>
>>63658906

>Sir what should we do
>Hold on Pellaeon, let me spend 5 hours staring at this Corellian nerf bone cutlery set
>I suddenly know what the New Republic fleet will be doing 4 months from now and where they'll be
>>
I acquired my copy for $0.25 at an estate sale, in Douglasville, GA. I took it with me on vacation to florida and read the entire thing in, like, three sittings in bed at the hotel and on the beach. I devoured it. I was, like, 15. I loved it.

Never read any of the sequels, though.

Also, the 20th anniversary audiobook is absolutely amazing. If you have even a slight interest in hearing the story, get that. One of the few times I'd recommend a fucking audiobook over a novel. With John Williams' score and the narrator's exceptional pacing and vocal work, it's fucking-A+.

Seriously. Can't recommend it enough.
>>
>>63658989

JJ might or might not recycle the Vong in some form seeing as they very nearly made it into the Clone Wars show.
>>
>>63659072

Yeah, Jacen Solo becomes a Sith Lord, kills Lukes wife, and basically reinstates another Empire. After he's defeated Admiral Daala becomes Chief of State, blames Luke for everything and tells him to fuck off for 10 years.
>>
>>63659081
And then he explained how the Corellian's bone's showed how the Corellians had a special holiday once every 1000 days that caused the cutlery to be off center one micron to the left, something anyone else would have missed. By looking at the lump he could tell that the republic would be getting new cutlery on x day, and it would be perfect for an attack.
>>
This is the best thing from the Star Wars EU
https://www.literotica.com/s/star-wars-the-legion-saga
>>
>>63659143
Fucking Daala, the women who killed all the empires leaders, tried to attack the jedi temple and came crawling back with a lone star destroyer, how the hell did she become Chief of anything.
>>
File: 1447992939350.jpg (634 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1447992939350.jpg
634 KB, 1600x1200
>>63659201

You get it.
>>
>>63659139
are you talking about this recording?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts8yBZ6L0u8
>>
File: dindu nuffin.jpg (17 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
dindu nuffin.jpg
17 KB, 400x300
My favorite part of the EU was when Han and Leia's son knocks up his high school sweet heart and abandons her, kills his uncle's waifu who also happens to be his apprentice's mother and then even attends her funeral, after which he proceeds to slam his dead little brother's schizophrenic girlfriend while becoming a ruthless dictator

He was a good friend
>>
>>63658711
I'll read a EU novel when I hear anything about the EU that is worth reading. There's stuff posted ITT that fanboys sperg over that just sounds fucking lame and stupid to anyone not hip deep in their faggoty nonsense.
>>
>>63659253

I think it had something to do as a final act of reconciliation with the Empire, plus they wanted a Chief of State that was going to be firm and tough.
>>
>>63659308
Well in one story Fett brings a spider back to life just to get information of out it, then kills it again for shits and giggles
>>
>>63659287

No, they released one in 2004-5 that sounds much better. It has music, sound effects, and everything. I torrented it - you should be able to find it floating around somewhere.

Here's it on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Ws6xGdoq8&list=PLtUlJ0gZAGf9df63ztJZxabLC-fHNDGCC
>>
>>63659424
ah cool, I will definitely listen to this thanks
>>
didn't read much on EU but I kinda liked the part where Luke almost becomes like Darth Vader. That black suit and cape looks awesome on him
>>
>>63659510
No problem - I used to take an hour-long bus ride daily and that audiobook was my saving grace. Hope you enjoy.
>>
File: edgelord luke.jpg (50 KB, 300x453) Image search: [Google]
edgelord luke.jpg
50 KB, 300x453
>>63659534

Dark Empire
>>
>>63654082
the only good story from the EU would be a miniseries based on Shadows of the Empire.

Or use Kyle Katarn in something.
>>
>>63659591

yeah that's it. thanks.
>>
>>63658479

That anon doesn't have to read shit because EU is not canon with the creation of TFA. It's like wasting your time reading fanfiction. Fuck you.
>>
>>63658754
Thrawn and the general design of the Chiss are pretty great, desu.
>>
>>63654082
Is there a direct download of an epub or something?
I hear Thrawn is the only EU book series worth reading.
>>
>>63656163
>>63656055
Why not broaden your horizons and read enjoy science fiction, exceptionally good licensed media, and actual literature?

Is reading this hard for people these days?
>>
>>63659750
Isn't it all about wasting time on shit? I mean you don't have to care about any of it. As much as I hate to say it, the fan's decide what is the star wars story at the end. EU readers, if you like it read it. That is your Canon, if you want to make a movie why don't you get your friends and make it. In the end have fun with what you like and stop being faggots.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__gLIyeQYDU
>>
>>63659814

I love the EU. I wish they didn't scrap it.

On the other hand, I'm treating the new movies as 'what ifs' instead of actual canon. It'll be nice to see a Star Wars story that's outside of what I've already read.

I'm going to enjoy both.
>>
File: SWDarkEmpireOmnibus.jpg (734 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
SWDarkEmpireOmnibus.jpg
734 KB, 900x1350
>>63659534
Shit, I totally forgot about that. Pretty cool concept, actually wearing his father's armor.

I found Dark Empire as a whole surprisingly enjoyable.
>>
>>63659916

I just wish they didn't slap Episode VII on it. Makes it feel like they're saying Fuck you to Star Wars fans who stuck through the good and bad of the EU for all these years.
>>
>>63659971
Eh, it's just marketing. I know what you mean, though.
>>
>>63659971

They are. You've been buying fanfic this whole time and now it's official.
>>
File: Jem and Luke Kiss.jpg (29 KB, 379x278) Image search: [Google]
Jem and Luke Kiss.jpg
29 KB, 379x278
>>63659931

>be me as a kid reading Dark Empire
>that feel when Luke loses Jem,

always made me feel really sad

>>63660057

Not to mention they aren't going to continue the "Legends" timeline anyway nor is Abrams probably going to take anything substantial from the EU when he can just use his own stuff freely, which to me is a shame cause then the two timelines won't feel connected.
>>
Courtship of Princess Leia was by far my favorite EU novel.

>Leia to be married in an arranged marriage to a princess of a powerful Hapaan Cluster to bring them in the Republic
>Han still loves her, and tries to forget her through gambling
>In an incredible run of luck Han eventually wins a seemingly uninhabited planet Dothomir in a card game
>Han kidnaps Leia and takes her to Dothomir
>Leia is pissed, but Han tells her to give him one week to fall in love with him, or he will turn himself in.
>Both Republic and Hapaan forces looking for him
>they land on planet, but it is filled with native rancors, force witches, and an imperial garrison
>luke finds the planet, force witches find Luke
>a bunch of other stuff happens
>leia marries han in the end
>>
>>63660155

If anything is the "fanfic" here, it's Abrams movie
>>
>>63660195

>Not to mention they aren't going to continue the "Legends" timeline anyway nor is Abrams probably going to take anything substantial from the EU when he can just use his own stuff freely, which to me is a shame cause then the two timelines won't feel connected.

Is that official? I'll be really fucking pissed if Fate of the Jedi is the last EU series that was written.
>>
>>63660335

They finished up Star Wars Legacy and you have the Old Republic Knights of the Fallen Empire, but that's about it for Legends.

Wouldn't be surprised if Disney told Abrams specifically not to use too much Legends content in his films.
>>
>>63660225
This. Remember that Lil' JJ is the manlet who erased all of Star Trek from existence by going back in time and changing things to Michael Bay style blockbuster action. TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise never happened. Star Trek The Motion Picture, II through VI, and Generations through Nemesis never happened.

They're fanfiction.
>>
>>63660195
Yeah, that was pretty sad.
It's weird with how the big the universe is, you easily forget characters like that. I don't know if Luke ever even mentioned her again.
>>
>>63660217
Shit, I have this. Never read it because I assumed it was shit due to the author's name being Vonda
>>
>>63660335
They had a long run, anon.
>>
>>63660623

I wouldn't mind it as much if they did some kind of proper sendoff for the OT characters under the Legends banner. At least give me some kind of closure.
>>
>>63660665

I actually feel like Legacy was a pretty good swan song for what it's worth. Yes, it's not perfect, but the people who wrote it really tried hard to take all these elements from both movie trilogies and years of EU material, a lot of which before felt like they had nothing to do with one another, and made them all culminate in one big event.
>>
>>63660841
They should go JJ style and have Luuke and Joruus travel back in time to prevent JJ Abrams' universe from ever happening
>>
>>63660575
I think it is excellent, lots of action
>>
>>63660884

>implying they aren't going to release one last Legends comic where Force shenanigans causes the timeline to be reset for the Abramsverse
>>
>>63660964
Time for JJ to get a taste of his own medicine.

Killing off Picard my ass.
>>
>>63660841
Legacy v2 was basically TFA done right and not some rehash of ANH.
>>
>>63660964
NO

You motherfucker, don't even joke about that shit
>>
>>63657494
Wow, what a truly awful post
>>
>>63661051

And Legacy 1 also did interracial romance better than Jew Jew could ever hope he could do
>>
Whatever happened to the "cool" JJ that did shit like Cloverfield and Lost?
>>
Darth Bane is still canon
>>
File: kylo2jpg-a24bc4_624w.jpg (159 KB, 624x972) Image search: [Google]
kylo2jpg-a24bc4_624w.jpg
159 KB, 624x972
So about Kylo

Abrams literally stole Jacen and slapped on a label of "Original Character: Donut Steel

fuck at first I was just "eh, let Abrams do what he's gonna do" but now I'm fucking mad guyz
>>
>>63661940

3D Clone Wars Bane is canon, not the novel or comic Bane
>>
>>63661982

All that matters is the name
>>
>>63661959
Isn't that always what this film was going to be? A lazy rehash of ANH with some old maquarrie shit and eu stuff thrown in.
>>
>>63661795

Mossad got to him
>>
>>63662251
Yes, but with modern enlightened socially liberal themes. And the rubes are fucking eating it up.
>>
>>63656163
Yeah man, everyone should just read shit you're assigned in high school.
>>
>>63662251

He could have had the decency to keep the names. At least then you could say "oh, well it's an alternate version of the same universe."

This is like some angry tumblr fanfic writer managed to get corporate backing
>>
>>63654082
What the fuck is coming out his fingers? Fucking hell the EU is such trash.
>>
>>63662754

Are you legitimately upset that JJ preferred to write new characters instead of utilising parts of the EU which disney has said outright isn't canon?
>>
>>63662952
>which disney has said outright isn't canon

too bad they don't get to make that call
>>
>>63662952

I'm upset that they made the EU non-canon just so they could make lesser quality rip offs of the EU's ideas and characters and pretend they're original ideas
>>
@63655594

> Luuke gets plaid by Ben Aflect
>>
>>63662998
Except they literally do you fucking autist
>>
>>63663027
>lesser quality
*more coherent
>>
>>63663118

*dumbed down
>>
>>63663027
I agree. I feel like a lot of the bitching online could have been avoided if Disney had deemed Legacy canon an alternate universe canon, instead of simply non-canon. But I guess they didn't want it to be like Marvel, with ten thousand alternate timelines and shit.
>>
>>63661982
Nope, Darth Bane is G-level canon since it was invented by George Lucas. Everything with Darth Bane is therefore G-level canon.

Darth Icky also.
>>
>>63663405

It might have actually been cool to have two universes where Han and Leia have a son named Jacen who falls to Dark Side with just slightly different circumstances.

Sort of like how they had the "Infitinities" stories for the Original Trilogy where Luke fails to blow up the Death Star or where Luke dies on Hoth and Leia trains with Yoda. Abrams' Episode VII could have been a part of the Expanded Universe itself. Instead it's almost in conflict with it now
>>
>>63663478

Is the Star Wars Holiday Special therefore canon because it introduces Boba Fett and the storyline was written by Lucas?
>>
>>63663573
Probably.
>>
>>63663573
Was it written by Lucas though? Because he doesn't show up in the credits.
>>
>>63663478
Only the idea of the surviving Sith that created the Rule of Two was Lucas's idea. Everything else about him including his name was by someone else. In the case of the name it was actually by Terry Brooks the writer of the TPM novelization.
>>
>>63663405
>I feel like a lot of the bitching online could have been avoided if Disney had deemed Legacy canon an alternate universe canon

It was Abram's idea. He did the same for Trek. All this does is polarize the pro and anti EU sides imo for SW. It doesn't help that they have got some real idiots on the novels, which only galvanizes the pro-EU faction in the fandom.
>>
>>63663873
he signed off on it
>>
>>63660335
Sword of the Jedi got scrapped so I'm assuming everything is scrapped

Shame since I was actually looking forward to it, Jaina really grew on me
>>
>>63664000
Ugh. Another reason to hate Abrahms. Fucking sucks because the Dark Horse comics were great.
>>
>>63658754
>instead of this we got the egyptian vader jerking le dangerous handle lasersword mememan
fuck this gay earth
>>
File: 8040860.jpg (94 KB, 482x348) Image search: [Google]
8040860.jpg
94 KB, 482x348
>>63663966
>>63664000
>>63664111
dubs trips trips

check'd and kek'd
>>
>>63664204
>Egyptian
There's another black main character in the new Star Wars?
>>
>>63664000
>All this does is polarize the pro and anti EU sides imo for SW.

That's the thing about it. I am and always will be an EU fanboy, but I was actually relieved about the possibility of new timeline being created and knew it was bound to happen as CN Clone Wars kept taking more ideas from the EU and reworking them or contradicting EU lore. But the way Disney went about this was all wrong.

The easiest and most respectful thing to do would have been to craft an official multiverse, which allowed room for Abrams' trilogy to bring in new ideas and redo stuff from the EU in a way that wouldn't alienate people who didn't bother with EU stuff and yet feel like unique twists on familiar concepts and characters EU fans loved. That's what Clone Wars was doing.

Instead, Disney canned all the EU stuff so Abrams could freely do whatever he wanted, let Abrams rip off the EU and just change the names, then when fanboys complained, slapped the "Legends" label so they could make extra cash on reprintings.

It's not like the EU didn't have alternate universes, that's not the problem here.
>>
>>63664253
Crafting a multiverse would have been a blow to the egos of guys like Kasdan adn Abrams who probably didn't like the EU in the first place or the idea that their vision wouldn't be the one true sequel. It's very clear that guys like Abrams and Kasdan didn't want to share the sandbox unless they were in charge of the overall direction.

Now instead they have hacks like Wendig accusing the fans of being homophobes and fans shitting on the books and calling for the restoration of the old EU. It's not pretty and Disney and LFL could have handled it better.
>>
>>63664253
>respectful

fucking entitled autists
your shitty books are not important in the slightest
>>
>>63664428
So not important they're recycling concepts as they also recycle ANH
>>
>>63664428

Disney seems to think they're important enough that they want to still make money off of them and their fans and rip them off in order to make money off ignorant Star Wars casuals
>>
>>63664414

>Crafting a multiverse would have been a blow to the egos of guys like Kasdan adn Abrams who probably didn't like the EU in the first place or the idea that their vision wouldn't be the one true sequel. It's very clear that guys like Abrams and Kasdan didn't want to share the sandbox unless they were in charge of the overall direction.

The thing is awhile back when they were writing this movie, Abrams even mentioned how there was so much SW Expanded material which they were going over for ideas.

I thought that meant he was just going to have a bunch of nods to the EU while adding his own touches while making something still digestible for casuals.

>Now instead they have hacks like Wendig accusing the fans of being homophobes and fans shitting on the books

Wait, what?
>>
>>63664473
>>63664495

Do you honestly believe a concept like leia and han having a child who rebels is so unique and original that if the movie uses it they HAD to have gotten the idea from EU material?
>>
>>63664568
>scrap the EU
>straight up say they'll use it in the future

No you're right it was just parallel thinking a decade later
>>
>>63664566
The newest SW novel has an incredible number of negative reviews on Amazon based on mostly the fact that he is a horrible writer with a terrible style of prose. He then resorted to strawmanning and called everyone homophobic (based on one fan) to justify all the negative reviews that didn't even mention anything relating to that subject.
>>
>>63664598

People with no knowledge of the EU have theorised that han and leia will have a kid who joins the dark side

it's really not some big blaspheme against the EU to use that idea
>>
Rey is NotJaina, Kylo is NotJacen, First Order is the NotImperial Remnants, Snoke is NotThrawn.
>>
The EU is unsalvageable shit
They did the right thing by cutting it out as non canon and scavenging the wreck for concepts to use in the real canon. To directly canonize some stories while decanonizing others would have been a huge mess that would cause way more autistic arguments than copying ideas ever could
>>
>>63664566
Wendig, who forgot Traviss introduced homosexuality into the SW franchise with her gay Mandalorians, started saying that anyone who DARED call out his shit writing was a homophobic racist since he felt HE AND HE ALONE introduced homosexuality to the SW books.

Also, JJ's egomania was why he bailed on Star Trek. He demanded a full-on embargo on ALL of classic Trek and CBS/Paramount was "fuck no, we can still make shit cash off of it!". JJ wanted ALL TREK TV SHOWS GOING FORWARD to be part of his reboot-verse while CBS/Paramount wanted to revisit the old continuity and do a series that followed TNG/DS9/Voyager, since there was still fan demand for a follow up AND it would ensure that the later did not contradict the JJ verse.
>>
>>63664627

which novel?
>>
>>63664709
Aftermath.
>>
>>63664495
The only ONLY reason we have the Legends subplot, is that when they got the license, they needed material published that was already written since they needed time for Marvel to churn out their comics and hire hacks like Wendig to write Disney approved books.

Once Disney has large enough back catalog of their own SW material, expect the Legends line to be abruptly cancelled and all DHC comics and SW EU novels to be taken out of print for good.
>>
>>63664674
Canonizing some stories while leaving others as non-canon is what the old EU did though. Many of the stories from Star Wars Tales were deemed non-canon (unless later referenced in a canon story outright), the oooold Marvel comics were practically non-canon (but lwere re-canonized in the old EU by being brought back into the Dark Horse comics, and the sourcebooks), and the Star Wars Infinities line was also a non-canon what if line, but people had no problems with that.

I'm not gonna lie and say it didn't lead to some small spergy arguments overall, but it was nothing to the degree of the pro-EU/anti-EU divide now.

It was just easier for JJ, Disney, and all the egos involved to wipe the slate clean, instead of continue it the way it was, or branch off into an alternate universe EU.
>>63664682
He must have conveniently forgotten there was a lesbian character in KOTOR 2.
>>
>>63664836
Wendig actually got the writer job reportedly by staging a SJW backed social media campaign. All his previous work seems to be doing shitty werewolf/vampire rpg backups. So he is Denning/Traviss tier.

Hopefully they get Zahn to write the Mara story he wanted to do before LOTF.
>>
>>63664841
>He must have conveniently forgotten there was a lesbian character in KOTOR 2.

Implying any of these asshole writers ever did the legwork and did any actual research.
>>
>>63664841
>It was just easier for JJ, Disney, and all the egos involved to wipe the slate clean, instead of continue it the way it was, or branch off into an alternate universe EU.

Exactly - that's exactly why it was the right choice. End all the arguments, just make none of it canon. Of course there will be autists upset over that revelation but it's for the best in the end
>>
>>63664629

Are you trying to defend JJ. I'm not sure.

If anything, assuming that were true, it proves that the EU exhausted so many of the possibilities for the Star Wars universe, even to the point of alternate versions of the Original Trilogy, that it is almost impossible to craft a deeply original story at this point that won't just stand in the shadow of a probably better written Legends story.

But I find it hard to believe that Abrams wasn't intentionally trying to copy Jacen here, even harder if the spoiler that Kylo kills Han almost like how Jacen killed Mara Jade
>>
>>63655484
>anything revolving around the Yuuzhan Vong
>good
Into the trash.
Thrawn was 5/5 breddy good, though
>>
>>63664912
Yeah, I know. Going by the interviews at the premiere tonight, JJ himself seems like he hasn't done the research he should have.
>>
>>63664914

How is it for the best to potentially alienate an entire section of the fanbase that for years helped keep the franchise alive with its money when you could please all parties for little effort on your part and little cost to your bank account?
>>
>>63664969

Majority of star wars fans don't care about the EU
>>
>>63664914
It didn't end the arguments though, on the fan side. Fans are more divided than ever as a result of the choice. It merely ended arguments on the side of the people working for Disney.
>>
>>63664841
>He must have conveniently forgotten there was a lesbian character in KOTOR 2.
Or you know, he doesn't give a shit about half-assed videogames
>>
>>63664994

But even if fans still argue about it, there is an objectively correct side no matter how badly the EUfags want to cling onto that shit
>>
>>63664987
Most of the fandom have insane expectations. I guarantee you they'll face the same backlash Lucas got for the PT and what the franchise as a whole got for the EU.

It's a result of being a big tent party that feeds on infighting.
>>
>>63665016
People were saying there was an objectively correct side even before the Disney buyout, nobody gives a shit
>>
>>63665020

You're mixing the hardcore fandom with 'casual' star wars fans that watch all the movies and enjoy them but don't spend all day on star wars internet forums or read any EU material - AKA a vast majority of people who would say 'I like star wars'
>>
>>63665037

How do the EUfags have an argument, then? They can objectively be proven wrong but they just ignore that?
>>
>>63659290

>Implying Caedus isn't based

That galactic officer that called him Darth Crazy
>>
>>63665074
Because it's a fictional universe, not rocket science, laws don't apply
>>
>>63665110

fictional universe created by real life people, though
>>
>>63665016
>there is an objectively correct side no matter how badly the EUfags want to cling onto that shit

sure, if by the "objectively correct side" you mean the side that doesn't think twice about burying the stories teams of writers and artists worked on for years and which many fans enjoyed so long as they can make a shit ton of money off a bunch of ignorant plebs by rehashing the old movies.

Even Lucas who wasn't known for his 100% regard for the EU's canon, is now looking like he was the EU's best friend.
>>
The cool thing about Lucas is that he let the EU guys do their own thing. He even helped a little bit with the Plagueis novel.
>>
>>63665148
>Anonymous 12/15/15(Tue)03:11:13 No.6366

We already knew he was its best friend because he let a ton of people play in his sandbox when he is probably most autistic artist ever created to point of trying to change reality and his own works decades later
>>
>>63665171
The thing is Lucas acknowledged there was his thing (the movies +tcw ) and there was the EU (shared universe). JJ and Kasdan are so egotistical (or insecure) that they can't acknowledge that and had to go to Iger to demand a reboot like JJ did with ST.
>>
>>63665056

That's the thing though, Disney could have pleased ALL of them, casuals and hardcore EU nerds alike, by just doing a few simple things you'd have expected from anyone who bought an already established and lucrative fictional property. It could have even made MORE money off the EU potentially. Imagine if Kylo Ren was actually a different version of Jacen Solo himself with name intact. They could have made more money off casuals just getting into Star Wars and selling Legends material to a new generation of autists that way, without alienating those with no interest in such things and losing their money

Instead they pandered to the whims of an egomaniac, shat on a section of the fanbase, and create division and resentment among fans.
>>
The Thrawn trilogy is no better than the rest of the post-RotJ EU.

>Thrawn is a borderline Mary Sue, extensively shilled for by other characters
>muh alien art
>Ysalamiri
>Force users controlling ship crews in battle
>the Noghri defect to Leia because she's Vader's daughter
>the Katana Fleet
>Luuke

Only Mara Jade can be considered a half-decent idea.
>>
>Disney star wars will never have Thrawn
>Disney star wars will never have based Pellaeon
>>
>>63665255

>The thing is Lucas acknowledged there was his thing (the movies +tcw ) and there was the EU (shared universe).

As much shit as Lucas got from some sections of the fanbase for some of the retcons he made Filoni do in TCW, there were a lot of things in TCW as far as nods to the EU material that even if they didn't follow the EU to a tee were nonetheless appreciated. Same goes for EU elements he included in the PT. Lucas did not make things easy for the EU team, but he always acknowledged its existence and didn't make things too hard for them. Good example is his reworking the Jedi Order into an Order of celibate monks in the PT and the system of one master one apprentice, something which contradicted other EU materials' treatment of the ancient Jedi Order but was remedied by the introduction of the Rhusan Reformation into the EU timeline which created the stricter Jedi Code seen in the PT. And Lucas also included Zahn's Coruscant as the seat of the Republic as it was in the Post-ROTJ materials and Tales of the Jedi series.

Lucas was far more reasonable than Abrams who probably is the one who demanded the EU be scrapped to make more room for his glorious and original version
>>
https://i.gyazo.com/3364cff17da4a8d41374d9891d66d7af.png
Is this real??
>>
>>63665566
>>
File: 1323553605753s.jpg (3 KB, 126x113) Image search: [Google]
1323553605753s.jpg
3 KB, 126x113
>>63665319
ysalamiris alone are a fantastic plot point that put to shame 99% of EU 's crap creativity. There are more than one reason why the Thrawn trilogy is always brought up while the rest of your fabulous EU isn't. The quality of the writing to begin with, and that is saying something given how standard the style is. EU is overwhelmingly garbage literature wise.
>>
>>63665483
And it's not even original since people have already pointed out similarities to the EU.
>>
>>63665319
I don't have a problem with most of those, except for Luuke. But I also don't really like Mara Jade, so make of my opinions what you will.
>>
>>63665319

As much as I hated New Jedi Order before, I now have developed something of a better appreciation of it since the inclusion of the Yuuzhan Vong in Legacy.
>>
>I haven't read the Thrawn Trilogy, but I claim that all of EU is trash because /tv/ told me so
>>
>>63667325

How mad do you have to be to make this post?
>>
>>63655484
>knew about the von

What?
>>
>>63654082
So the EU is confirmed real SW universe after this utter shambles of a movie?
>>
>>63668605

The Chiss, Thrawn's race, were aware of the Vong because they live on some of the furthest reaches of the galaxy. They even fought Yuuzhan Vong scout parties before. At the beginning of the Invasion comic series, there's even a tale of a Chiss pilot who tries to warn the Republic early about the Vong because she recognizes them but she's too late.

Sheev also became aware of the Yuuzhan Vong threat, which is one of the reasons besides his own megalomania that he tried so hard to build such a massive imperial war machine.

There's also a bit of dialogue in KOTOR where Canderous Ordo tells you about how he and his Mandalorian friends on the further reaches of the galaxy chased what sounds like and was later confirmed to be a Yuuzhan VOng coral skipper
Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.