[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Excuse me, Divine Valar, but why was no one in the Fellowship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 3
File: 1418064859222.jpg (57 KB, 466x405) Image search: [Google]
1418064859222.jpg
57 KB, 466x405
Excuse me, Divine Valar, but why was no one in the Fellowship except Boromir tempted by the Ring?
>>
They all would've, in time.

Boromir was just a weak little pussy.
>>
>>63646009
But dosne't the ring have the power to instantly corrupt most people. I mean Gandalf refused to touch it for even a second
>>
Frodo is

Sam's too simple, Aragorn too pure of heart, Gimli and Legolas are too tsundere for eachother and the other two hobbits fuck off almost immediately
>>
HE DRUNK TOO MACH WATER! WATER IS WHAT GIVES THE RING POWER OVER PEOPLE.
>>
You don't understand how it works. The whole point was that Frodo had to be the ring bearer because the non-Hobbits were all too tempted. Having Frodo carry it around in a pocket kept the others from thinking about it and being tempted enough to actually do anything stupid. Boromir, though, had his desire to protect his city with the ring, which the ring exploited (probably helped by the fact that he picks it up at one point).
>>
>>63645983
Did you even watch the movie?Frodo literally goes full Isildur in the end
>>
>gandalf chose a hobbit to bear the ring because they're weak and easy to kill in case they get corrupted
pretty dark when you think about it
>>
>>63645983
Because Boromir was Isildurs heir and he has the same temptation and corruption in his veins
>>
>>63646638
Retard alert
>>
>>63646663
Did you even watch the film?
>>
>>63646355
Did you?
>>
>>63645983

Boromir was the most desperate for a quick solution to the Mordor threat to his homeland.
>>
>>63646055
>But dosne't the ring have the power to instantly corrupt most people
Eh...no? That depends on you.

Frodo endured fucking years.
>>
>>63645983
Hobbits are unaffected by the power of the ring (or any rings of power for that matter)

Gandalf was for a split second

Legolas, Gimili, and Aragorn were too focused and wouldnt let it corrupt them
>>
>>63645983

To me it felt like the ring was targeting Boromir specifically, because it's smart and actually runs plots on the party that hosts it.
>>
>>63645983
Hijack: why did Gandalf choose Bilbo to be the burglar in the first place? I can't remember why he selected some no name Hobbit over the probably dozens of other capable "burglars" in Middle-Earth. Thoughts?
>>
>>63647613
He liked the guy and thought he could use a little nudge out the door
>>
>>63647613
Something like Smaug wouldn't know the scent of a Hobbit. He'd be able to smell a human or dwarf a mile off.

Plus he knew Hobbits could be brave and sneaky
>>
>>63646531
Gandalf didn't choose, but he knew it was a smart choice. Hobbits naturally pure hearts keep them from falling over too quickly. Bilbo was 111 when he gave it up.
>>
>>63646754
>fucking years
'no'
>>
>>63647661
>>63647690
Yeah, but why Bilbo?
Because the Baggins were specially brave?
>>
>>63648027
>Because the Baggins were specially brave?
Pretty sure there was something in their history which was individual to the Baggins. Most hobbits wanted to live their life in peace but the Baggins were different, in a way.

Something about a big guy riding a boar and decaptiating orcs.

Not even joking.
>>
>>63648120
If I remember correctly the Baggins (Bilbo's father side) were fond of settled life and the Tooks (Bilbo's mother side) craved adventure.

His famous ancestor was Bullroarer Took, who famously decapitated a goblin chieftan with a club and was the only hobbit large enough to ride a horse.

His famous ancestor was Bullroarer Took.
>>
>>63648598
whoops didn't proofread the repeated shit
>>
>>63648598
Cheers, really need to revist the books. Getting the red book as a gift this year, going to be great.
>>
>>63648027

Because Bilbo was half Took, so he had some adventurous qualities, but not 100% Took a.k.a. a moron like Merry
>>
>>63646673
Aragorn is the heir of Isildur
>>
>>63647724
Frodo has the ring for years in the book and just hangs out in the Shire while Gandalf tries to confirm that it's the One Ring. The journey into Mordor itself takes about a year.
>>
>>63646638
Boromir is one of Isildur's heirs. He is the offspring of Anorian, who was Isildur's brother, who incidently died like a bitch nigga during an assult on Bara Dur.
>>
>>63647724
15 years go by between the time Frodo receives the ring, and the time he leaves the Shire.
>>
File: 1437270362030.jpg (372 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1437270362030.jpg
372 KB, 1024x1024
>>
>>63649101
Nope, Aragorn was Anarion's descendant.
>>
>>63649327
why isn't bombadil chaotic good?
>>
>>63649101
>>63649455
>Aragorn was a descendant of Elros Tar-Minyatur. His ancestor Arvedui was wedded to Fíriel, who bore their son Aranarth, making Aragorn the last descendant of Anárion as well.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Aragorn

The stewards weren't direct descendants of Elendil, that's why they couldn't become kings.
>>
>>63649252

He's not carrying it around for him for 15 years, though. And he had no clue what it was.
>>
>>63649101
Boromir is only tangentially related to Isildur. Anarion's line ruled in Gondor, and Boromir's house is a branch from a female descendant of like the twenty-fifth member of that line or something. He certainly has a strong numenorian bloodline, but no one in Middle Earth would call him something like Isildur's Heir.

>>63649455
Aragorn was a direct male-line descendant of Isildur
>>
>>63649505
*not carrying it around with him
>>
>>63649505
Well Boromir wasn't carrying it around at all, and it still corrupted him
>>
>>63649327

>Social Evil
>Moral Good

The fuck is this shit
>>
>>63649526
nope, see
>>63649496

you're getting mixed up
>>
>>63649562
Boromir was well aware of what it was and what it could do. He was also desperate for something to save Gondor. Frodo thought it was his Uncle's old magic ring that helped him play practical jokes on the neighbors. And he had no reason to want anything, he was rich as fuck and he spent all day getting drunk with Pippin and Merry while Sam worked out in the garden.
>>
>>63649578
my mistake, he was Isildur AND Anarion's descendant
>>
>>63646934
bullshit
>Bilbo going full precious for a moment in Fellowship
>Frodo going full precious for a moment in ROTK
>Gollum is basically a hobbit and was corrupted instantly

You can refute one of these but not all 3 at once
>>
>>63645983
Dwarves are stalwart.
Elves are fags.
Hobbits are immune to the Ring.
Gandalf was smarter than that.
Aragorn was Jesus.
>>
>>63649668
As I remember it, Smeagol was said to already be a sneaker/thief/manipulator type character before he got the Ring. The powers it gave him just made him more capable of all the sneaking and eavesdropping that he was already doing that he got shunned by his family and friends.

Also, hobbits aren't impervious to the ring's influence, they are just more capable of fighting it. As I recall it Bilbo was already lying to Gandalf about the ring hours after he found it.
>>
>>63649572
Really? You can't tell, at all?
>>
There are exactly two characters in the entire trilogy who are completely unaffected by the ring as far as the books go:

Tom Bombadil, who lives in a magical forest kingdom of which he's the lord, with his perfect wife with whom he lives in perfect peace and innocence, content with his life. Adam in Eden
And Faramir who outright refused it, and whose only ambition was to be a good man, and who is the quintessential proof that the War of the Ring is worth fighting. That humanity is capable of purity lost, and that divinity is not beyond mortal kin just yet, justifying Man's inheritance of the world.

It is supposed to be a Christianity inspired artificial mythology you know.
>>
>>63646072
Isn't frodo pure of heart which is why he overcame the ring in the first place?
>>
>>63649761
>hobbits aren't impervious

But that's exactly the argument I was refuting. What you say is true, but not because of a racial difference. Everyone else in the fellowship was in a position of power and therefore more likely to be corrupted. Not because of magical hobbit blood or anything.
>>
>>63649853
Frodo is close to being pure of heart. Faramir is the only character truly pure.

For fuck's sake, he literally comes back from being (thought) dead.
>>
>>63649872
just expanding your argument
>>
>>63649724
>hobbits are immune to the ring

Explain Golum
>>
>>63649932
If they had asked the mayor of Hobbiton for example, to bear the ring, it would be a matter of minutes before he's running off to some cave yelling PRECIOUSSSSSS
>>
>>63649976
Read the thread, they aren't immune, just more capable to resist it.
>>
>>63648670
>but not 100% Took a.k.a. a moron like Merry
You mean Pippin right? Because Merry was a Brandybuck
>>
>>63649901
>For fuck's sake, he literally comes back from being (thought) dead.
So do Faramir and Gandalf and probably a bunch of other characters I've forgotten.

Fuck your spoiler tags, who the fuck doesn't know what happens in LotR?
>>
>>63649901
Frodo eventually gave in to the ring and Faramir resisted the ring because he was literally Tolkien's Mary sue self insert
>>
>>63650162
I was talking about specifically Faramir with the coming back to life bit. Especially since his death and coming back to life bit was played up much more biblical.

>>63650196
Faramir's purpose literally is to establish that humanity is capable of innocence. That's why he can resist the ring.
You either couldn't spot Christian imagery in a chapel, or you're so fucking insecure you need to equate Tolkien with Tumblr fanwankers, and can't see a larger than life chracter as anything else than a self insert.
>>
Boromir did nothing wrong. He went through hell just getting to Rivendell, through so much shit they could have written an entire series about it, but when he shows up to the Council to ask to them maybe help Minas Tirith out instead of just sitting back there safe while good men die, they bitch at him.

Fucking knife ear faggots, fuck wizards, fuck dwarves, fuck them all. Boromir was right.
>>
>>63650112
ye, Merry's portrayal in the films is mostly comic relief along with Pippin, they left out the part that he was a pretty sharp hobbit.
>>
>>63650102
whoops
>>
>>63650331
>I was talking about specifically Faramir with the coming back to life bit
My bad, I meant "So do Frodo and Gandalf" etc.
>>
File: minastirithbeleriand.gif (58 KB, 389x285) Image search: [Google]
minastirithbeleriand.gif
58 KB, 389x285
>>
>>63650365
he also had daddy issues tho
>>
>>63650435
I'd probably have some daddy issues too if my pa beat the shit out of my brother on the daily while doing nothing but praise me, even if neither of us deserved it. That's some psychotic shit man.

Still doesn't change the fact that Boromir did nothing wrong and that everyone just about everyone else at the council was a sociopathic asshole.
>>
Frodo was 50 years old when he arrived at Rivendell
>>
>>63650331
I thought original sin dictated that no human was perfect? And while I'm no Tolkien scholar I always interpreted Men as being heavily flawed and imperfect but the only truly godly race because of it. Then you get Faramir who can resist the ring because he's just so good hearted when even Gandalf is scared of the thing.

Tolkien has actually admitted that Faramir is his self insert, anyway. That's documented
>>
>>63645983

Would the ring tempt a valar?
>>
>>63650482
Boromir's honor remained intact, he's one of the most generally liked characters, and he got the best death in the trilogy tbqhf.
>>
>>63650494

I'm Tolkien. You're a lying piece of shit, motherfucker. My self-insert was Bilbo Baggins. My adventure to go kill the dragon was an analogy to my tour in 'Nam and the Ring was heroin.
>>
>>63650502
fuck no
>>
i'm not some lotr nerd (only seen the movies) but isn't the ring basically kind of a power amplifier which is why gandalf doesn't want to touch it and also why some puny insignificant beings like hobbits were good for carrying it without getting influenced
>>
>>63650739
Explain your answer
>>
>>63646673
>the film
This is an over 18 site champ.
>>
>>63649505
He was always carrying it around and putting it on though, it doesn't affect Hobbits as bad because they literally don't want anything they don't already have, it only finally gets him in Mt Doom because the power of the ring is strongest there and it realises it's in danger.
>>
>Ring of POWER
>Good men often do evil things in the pursuit of good ends
>Men want to use the ring, (ultimate power)
>Hobbits generally care about farming and being left alone, they don't care about power
>Only people who don't use power can be trusted with power

Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, and all the Hobbits resisted the ring more strongly because they had no desire to use it. Gollum also didn't want to use the ring and was therefore pretty harmless.

I also recommend people here watching the RING cycle. Because Lord of the RINGS is heavily influenced on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvpIbfslS9w
>>
>>63649668
Okay you fucking retard, here-
>Bilbo overtaken by the ring
A brief attachment when he has to give it up which he then regrets and gives it up, fuck your babby film if you thought it was more than that.
>Frodo overcome by the ring
Only in the place where the ring is at it's most powerful, when Frodo and the ring realise it's about to be destroyed, when Frodo is at his lowest ebb and almost dead anyway having recently died and then walked across an ash desert while the ring's burden grew to the point only Sauron could have borne it. Hobbit's don't have big schemes, Sam only wanted to go home and be a gardener and Frodo's great desire was literally to destroy the ring and go home.
>Gollum is corrupted instantly
Gollum was a prick who murdered his friend before he even had the ring which explicitly caused its great hold on him and the effect it had

It has no ill effect on Bilbo, it only wearies Frodo at the point it affects him it is literally the will of Sauron driving him ad Gollum was a sneaky murderer anyway.
>>
>>63650791
It's not a power amplifier, it's a source of power. Sauron put some of his power within the ring. In the hands of another maiar (Sauron, Gandalf and Saruman are maiars), it could be used. This means Gandalf could probably use it, while people like Galadriel, Elrond or Boromir can't use it, even if they think they can. Gandalf wouldn't dissapear if he wore the ring. Mortal and non-magical beings (such as dwarves, hobbits, men and elves - mortal meaning here that can be killed) just vanish when they wear the ring. I do not know what would happen if Galadriel wore it, she might not dissapear as she learned a little magic from a maiar, a few thousand years before the movies.

The ring is like a sword. A sword in itself is not dangerous, but if an arm that knows how to swing it wields it, it uses kinetic energy to slash and pierce, an energy that was available in the arms of the swinger, but that couldn't be used to pierce and slash, due to the shape of the arms.
>>
Are you sure Galadriel couldn't use the ring? I remember when Frodo asked her if her could use it she told him something along the lines of having to train his mind or it would destroy him as soon as he tried.
>>
>>63645983
This has been explained extensively, it's because among them all it's Boromir who always saw himself as having the duty to save the world. He was raised to be that hero.
>>
>>63650792
fuck no
>>
>>63649805
They're alignments that don't exist on the usual lawful-chaotic good-evil axes
>>
>>63650112

oops, yeah I did.
>>
IIRC it tempts everyone. Those people are divided into two camps: Those who are weak willed and whose ego would be destroyed by the ring into serving it (gollum, the nazgul, hobbits, legolas & gimli), and those who are strong willed and who would be become powerful but corrupt by embracing the ring (aragon, gandalf, all the elf kings/queens).

The hobbits though are literally super resistant to the ring which is the key reason why they get so involved in all the shit that goes down.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.