[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? I just watched it and thought it was pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: images (1).jpg (48 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
48 KB, 500x750
What went wrong?

I just watched it and thought it was pretty good, but I guess I'm in the minority on that.
>>
>>63629317
It was an incoherent shitty adaptation of a incoherent shitty book.
>>
>>63629317
It was beyond the autists of /tv/? Shocking...
>>
>>63629317
I really liked it. It was a fairly close adaptation of the source material and was full of some super subtle pynchon refrences I enjoyed, like doc living in a place with a dutch door just like TP did when he was living in manhattan beach while writing GR.
>>
>>63629376
thats not a reference you posturing retard thats how beach houses work
>>
Martin Short doing coke makes the movie worth watching.
>>
so so so so good. PTA has made some 10/10 classics, and this is NOT one of those, but it is a great film. great performances, really fun dialogue, makes the viewer question pretty much everything in the movie
>>
>>63629405
It's pretty specific and the dutch door was mentioned in slow learner by TP himself, and PTA is enough of a fan to put something like that in his film, also most things in films are deliberate.
>>
>>63629376
I liked how he made it so you couldn't tell if Sortilege was real or not, I re-read the book after watching the film and think she's real in the book but now I'm not so sure
>>
i enjoyed it.
>>
>>63629317
>What went wrong?
Literally nothing. If anything, making this film available to plebs was the only mistake.
>>
>>63629317

heh I liked it, sick soundtrack looked good whats not to like about it?
>>
>>63629317
what went wrong is that people are traumatized by a poor education system and subsequently treat (adaptations of) literature like it's homework. they sit down all nervous like there's going to be a test afterwards, thinking "what if i don't get THE MEANING", "what if i'm NOT SMART ENOUGH to follow this?". so in the end the experience is ruined by their own neuroses. what usually follows is a mini-conspiracy theory about how the thing was shit all along but "the academia" or whatever deviously pretends to like it.

in this case the "homework" impulse leads people to desperately try and comprehend the intricately nonsensical conspiracy until they give up in frustration and declare the movie pointless. in all this they miss the fact that the movie openly asks them to not to treat that shit seriously by making the POV character someone only dimly aware of his surroundings. people ignore that and end up fighting the movie instead of watching it, angry that they still don't know what the golden fang REALLY was, which is kinda like spending the entirety of lion king wondering how the animals learned to talk.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.