[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polit ical_and_religious_belie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
File: stan kub.png (179 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
stan kub.png
179 KB, 500x280
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_and_religious_beliefs_of_Stanley_Kubrick

>Frederic Raphael, who authored the Eyes Wide Shut script for Kubrick recalled that Kubrick once remarked that "Hitler was right about almost everything," and insisted that any trace of Jewishness be expunged from the "Eyes Wide Shut" script. Kubrick's bizarre relationship to his own ethnicity deeply troubled Raphael, a fellow Jew. Raphael was further puzzled over Kubrick's cryptic praise for Hitler, unable to decide if Kubrick was jesting. Raphael was equally puzzled by Kubrick's trashing of Schindler's List. After Raphael mentioned “Schindler’s List,” Kubrick replied: “Think that's about the Holocaust? That was about success, wasn't it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. 'Schindler's List’ is about 600 who don’t."

Absolute madman or taking the banter too far?
>>
He's a self hating jew
He doesn't hate himself because he's jewish
He hates the jews because he's one of them
>>
>Herr wrote that Kubrick was sent VHS tapes from American friends of NFL Football, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and other television shows that he could not get in the United Kingdom.
Fucking pleb
DROPPED
>>
> Watson claims that Kubrick feared being ruined by tax-the-rich policies and was opposed to welfare in general
SJW blown the fuck out
>>
>>63601244
will you stop dropping the microphone my ears hurt.
>>
>Man isn't a noble savage, he's an ignoble savage. He is irrational, brutal, weak, silly, unable to be objective about anything where his own interests are involved—that about sums it up. I'm interested in the brutal and violent nature of man because it's a true picture of him. And any attempt to create social institutions on a false view of the nature of man is probably doomed to failure.[11]
God he sounds like anime watching /pol/ faggot
>>
>The idea that social restraints are all bad is based on a utopian and unrealistic vision of man. But in this movie, you have an example of social institutions gone a bit berserk. Obviously, social institutions faced with the law-and-order problem might choose to become grotesquely oppressive. The movie poses two extremes: it shows Alex in his precivilized state, and society committing a worse evil in attempting to cure him."

"DUDE IMAGINE THE GOVERNMENT BEING MORE BAD TO BAD PEOPLE LMAO"
what a fag
>>
>>63601337
/pol/ doesn't watch anime
it's degenerate
>>
>>63601337
>successful, genius, jew sounds like /pol/

so you're saying /pol/ is made out of smart jews?
>>
>>63601410
Jews are, after all, behind everything
>>
>Kubrick appeared to believe that freedom and social libertarianism is still worth pursuing even if mankind is ultimately ignoble, and that evil on the part of the individual—however undesirable—is still preferable in contrast to the evil of a totalitarian society. Kubrick said in an interview with Gene Siskel:
>To restrain man is not to redeem him... I think the danger is not that authority will collapse, but that, finally, in order to preserve itself, it will become very repressive... Law and order is not a phony issue, not just an excuse for the Right to go further right.[15]
#BLACKLIVESMATTER
>>
File: moe.jpg (64 KB, 487x460) Image search: [Google]
moe.jpg
64 KB, 487x460
>>63601472
Oh boy, I sure love these 4chin maymays ;^)
>>
>>63601337
the first two sentences sound like he is describing /pol/
>>
>>63600989
Kubrick was ambivalent about jews or at least mildly anti-semitic. Not Bobby Fischer tier self-hating jew, though.
>>
>>63600989
>After Raphael mentioned “Schindler’s List,” Kubrick replied: “Think that's about the Holocaust? That was about success, wasn't it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. 'Schindler's List’ is about 600 who don’t."

This, to be fair, is a perfectly respectable sentiment.
>>
>>63601554
I don't see how any of that greentext relates to the blacklivesmatter nonsense.
>>
>>63602618

Man who the fuck cares what any of these people thought? Kubrick's only skills were moving a camera and micromanaging people, Fischer's only skill was memorizing chess moves. There's no reason their opinions couldn't all be stupid and wrong.
>>
File: stanley-kubrick-.png (94 KB, 540x462) Image search: [Google]
stanley-kubrick-.png
94 KB, 540x462
>>63600989
D R O P P E D
>>
File: stanley-kubrick.png (65 KB, 1148x637) Image search: [Google]
stanley-kubrick.png
65 KB, 1148x637
>>63600989
>>63602767
D R O P P E D
>>
Why are people here so fucking retarded?
He's not self hating. He even wanted to make a holocaust movie himself.
>>
>>63602884
that doesn't prove he wasn't self hating
>>
>>63602907
What proves that he is self hating?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR4pf6pp1kQ
>>
Why does anyone ever care about celebrities think

Liberal actress Jenny McCarthy has literally killed thousands of children by getting women to listen to her political advice. You should never even consider the opinion of a famous person
>>
>>63602945
fake and gay
>>
>>63602964
kubrick's matters because he's influencing people with his movies
>>
>>63603022
I am saying don't let yourself be influenced by the opinions of famous people, not that they cannot be influential
>>
>>63603218
Well at the end like it or not if you watch a great film you get influenced one way or other. I don't really give a shit what kubrick said but I can feel what he's saying by watching one of his films.
>>
>>63601169
Eyes Wide Shut is really about the nameless paranoia surrounding all forms of Western power, monarchy, and lastly (maybe) the Rothschilds.

Most people claim that they see Dr. Bill Harford as a very Westernized kind of guy, and he is absolutely normal, but I still see the character as a reluctant Westerner. He looks at people like the Rothschilds, somewhat ironically, as being the real Westerners. They belong more to the West than to his own little cliques. He's anxious about anyone with hereditary ties to power. He doesn't understand the lust, the costume parties, the abstractions, the artistry, the Culture he's walked into. He's not a radical type of guy, he just wants to live a practical, humble sort of life if possible.

There's a real irony in Kubrick's decision to make a more critical picture about hereditary power than say, 'Shares in Waterloo', but it doesn't seem to be done out of spite.

It's a real late 20th-Century film, as the whole thing is post-National, yet anticipating an early, hazy concern with ethnicity. Dr. Bill is looking at these hereditary power structures in the West and he's thinking that there's really no connection between them and him, and he's ultimately right. That's terrifying for him, he's encountered what he considers to be the ultimate alien.
>>
File: image.jpg (208 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208 KB, 1600x900
It is fascinating to see how often Bill winds up on the 'eastern side' of the frame in this one as well.

Kubrick knows that he doesn't have to underline anything.
>>
>>63602762
But in this case, Kubrick and Fisher aren't stupid and wrong. Their right.
>>
>>63600989
So we can all agree if Kubrick's films came out today, we would hate them, yeah?
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 720x404
Harford is an amusing character. He's a bit of a cipher. Because the Rothschilds actually manage to represent the West to some degree in the film, Harford is able to get bogged down in the political mystery of the West while forgetting that his wife is really the most alien exemplar of the Western culture.

At the end of the film, he realises that he doesn't care about the macro political angle anymore, because his wife suddenly appears before him, as she is, a total alien.
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 1920x1080
Harford even sees himself as being on the eastern side of Franco-Russian characters.
>>
File: image.jpg (280 KB, 1600x1002) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280 KB, 1600x1002
Art seems to represent women, or interiority in the film.
>>
Fun fact: Remember the two women Cruise's character flirts with in the party near the start? One of those actresses is now living as a man.

I checked it up, and to my mild surprise, it was the significantly better-looking one. Die Welt is alles was der Fall ist.
>>
>>63605494
>cruise the manlet
>>
>>63601244

>Likes a sport that acts like a chess game, a sitcom that changed the formula and classic simpsons.

true patrician
>>
File: image.jpg (182 KB, 1428x1072) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182 KB, 1428x1072
>>63605591
She must have found the costume shop at the end of the rainbow.

I love the costume shop scene. It's clearly intended as a mini-Europe, and our French store owner winds up on the Western side and his daughter winds up on the Eastern side with the Japanese businessmen. It's kind of like a portrait of early 1900's America as well. What would you like to be? How would you like to walk, talk, act, and dress? That's why I laugh every time when Milich says to Bill, "So... Just the mask?" The point of this exchange is to demonstrate that Bill just doesn't have the imagination of a Ziegler or a Rothschild. He's content with having the mask and shawl.
>>
>>63600989
>puzzled by Kubrick's trashing of Schindler's List

How could he be puzzled? Kubrick's criticism is perfectly reasonable
>>
Why are there so many self-hating Jews, out there? What do Jews do that makes other Jews in the same race hate them, so?
>>
>>63606256
https://youtu.be/VUAWMOl1ZI4
>>
>>63606307
the self pity and using the holocaust as crutches is humiliating
>>
>>63606515

All the nepotism's probably pretty disgusting for any Jew that wants to do it all on his/her own, as well.

In fact for a Jewish director Kubrick made a really special effort to cast as few Jews in his movies as possible. I wonder if that was intentional.
>>
>>63600989
>>63601169
He understood objective historical facts.
>>
>People think Kubrick is a Self Hating Jew/Nazi even after reading his critique of Schindler's List in the same damn paragraph
Kubrick is saying they shouldn't have made an uplifting Holocaust film because 6 Million were still murdered. He clearly does not like the Holocaust and thus he doesn't have much fondness for Hitler.

Clockwork Orange is a fucking parody of Fascism for christsake.
>>
>>63606210
are you still here?

do you think that kubrick might have fashioned bill around his self image? was he just a weab on 4chan in a reddit world?
>>
>>63608532
Very much so. He's probably agreeing with people who find him unimaginative in some way.
>>
>>63609267
what do you mean?
>>
>>63609296
Well, it's supposedly a critique of Kubrick's dad... Kubrick supposedly said that everyone hated doctors. Maybe he thought the objectivism of his father rubbed off on him? Hard to say.

There are several deeper readings of the movie however...

You could read it as a Medieval parallel (Western nobility represented by Aurelian's victory in Celona), while the East is represented in Bill's family (his daughter is named Helena for example).
>>
>>63609500
Unfortunately I don't know much history. Would you mind elaborating?
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 720x404
>>63609659
>>63609659
Well, the Victory of Aurelian over the Gauls kind of inaugurated early Medieval history. There's a tiny reference to Celona in Eyes Wide Shut where this battle took place.

Constantine's daughter or something was named Helena... But I don't know if there's a reason why Bill would be related to Constantine, other than location. Constantine basically conquered the other aspirants for power, maybe Bill wants to do the same?

Kubrick made Tom Cruise into a sort of Peter Sellers or Woody Allen figure in Eyes Wide Shut. On a personal level, the movie is much easier to understand if you can imagine Sellers in the role of Bill Harford. He's a middle-aged Inspector Clouseau type.

But just like Barry Lyndon is defined by his lack of interest in high society, Bill Harford is defined by his lack of fantasy.
>>
>>63601244
football, seinfeld, and classic simpsons are all patrician you lunatic
>>
>>63601244
>doesnt like seinfeld or golden age simpsons
spotted the redditor
>>
>>63600989
Anyone else think the most likely explanation is that Raphael just misunderstood him or exaggerated what he said? They were doing an adaptation and changing the main character from Viennese Jewish to a generic American Christian. Kubrick wanted to make sure this was done thoroughly and authentically.
>>
>>63600989
ONE OF US
>>
>>63611514
Jews exaggerate everything. It is possible that Raphael exaggerated his claims.
>>
>>63607362
This.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAKS3rdYTpI
And that point is a huge factor in why A.I. didn't work. Despite Spielberg's objections, it's the exact opposite in how Kubrick would have made it minus some technical emulation.
>>
>>63612519
isn't that an exaggeration
>>
>>63605187
>their right
>their
Congratulations.
>>
>>63612660
Fn This. listen to FanMan, ok fanboys?
>>
>>63611514
Honestly, I think Kubrick was just joking, man had a very dry and dark sense of humor and thus made an analogy that a "purge" of elements that would alienate most viewers from the "common man" and overly tie the subject matter to semitism was like the holocaust, he being Hitler in this case, and that he was right about almost everything.
But in a wider sense I don't think Kubrick had any fondness for the Abrahamic faiths in general.
>>
>>63612821
For you
>>
>>63600989
This smacks of /pol/lution.
>>
>>63613702
fuck off faggot
>>
>>63600989
A self-loathing jew. It's sad to see such an icon reduced to a shitty stereotype.
>>
>>63613763
I knew it!
>>
>>63613763
>>63616079
samefag
>>
>>63601403
What activities are not degenerate by /pol/ standards?
>>
There's a thing to be said about Raphael's book: He's ALWAYS mentioning the "jew fascination with violence" that Kubrick has, or talking about his jewness. Imagine how much the guy rambled about him on their meetings.

Kubrick had to cut his mouth somehow.
>>
i liked dr. strangelove.
>>
>>63610493
Any more on the "eastern" thing?
The doctor angle is also interesting--consider Rosemary's Baby's role as a reference point.
>>
>>63600989
Holy shit, it's real. He sounds like a cool guy who has a sense of humor
>>
>>63616221
having a job, a traditional family and going to the church

they don't do any of it though
>>
>>63603218
So don't you think it might be useful to know the filmmaker's opinions and agenda, you mong?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.