[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do girls domt go full"fangurl" mode for LOTR as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: swvslotr.jpg (195 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
swvslotr.jpg
195 KB, 900x506
Why do girls domt go full"fangurl" mode for LOTR as they pretend to like Star Wars, despite SW being way nerd-ier and campy.
Is it because LOTR is an actual god-tier movie trilogy and it doesnt have so much nerd cred?
>>
File: 1449015328952.gif (2 MB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1449015328952.gif
2 MB, 245x245
Bump
>>
>>63588253
>Is it because LOTR is an actual god-tier movie trilogy and it doesnt have so much nerd cred?

It's because if you want to be an LOTR nerd you have to read the books.
>>
>>63588734
Are you implying girls dont read, shitlird?
>>
>>63589012
They read, but not LOTR
>>
Because LOTR is about men doing manly things.
>>
>>63588253
Star Wars has been a continuous cultural icon for nearly 40 years. Almost 30 years of no bad prequels.

LotR trilogy movies aren't even 20 years old yet and after 10 years it got a bad trilogy.

Future/Modern aesthetic is easier to sell to a modern crowd as well.
>>
File: Eowyn_with_sword.jpg (50 KB, 550x667) Image search: [Google]
Eowyn_with_sword.jpg
50 KB, 550x667
>>63589147
>
>>
Lotr is like so last decade lmao
>>
>>63589273
>that cut fight sequence in the caves during helms deep

Thanks Hackson for ruining a beautiful movie before even releasing it.
>>
>>63588253
Most of the big LotR fans I know are women. Maybe you're just not very close with many women so you're making assumptions?
>>
There's a lot of women I know who love LOTR

but not a single one of them has read any of the books
>>
>>63589353
>>63589383
How many of these women can tell you about Gondolin, about Dagor Dagorath, about the gardens of Lorien, or even about Aelfwine of England?
>>
Because understanding LoTR is harder. Star wars is pretty linear in every media that it has released (Haven't played any games, so don't take my opinion on that). While Tolkien is not out of fault in stupidity like Mount Doom and other small details, Star Wars lore is pretty much "I invented this out of my ass"-tier. Easier to follow, but hollow.
>>
>>63589779
>While Tolkien is not out of fault in stupidity like Mount Doom and other small details
Is this about the eagles again?
>>
>>63589691
I don't know because I didn't interrogate them on how much they know about the books. If Dagor Dagorath comes up naturally then I'll let you know.
>>
bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNdb03Hw18M
>>
>>63589876
It's pretty obvious talking to someone who has read the books.
>>
>>63590005
They've read LotR and The Hobbit at least. But I don't know anything about Dagor Dagorath so I couldn't tell you about that.
>>
>>63590079
I guess it's hard to know if you haven't read past those books either.

Oh well, yet to meet a girl who has.

>Dagor Dagorath
It's Tolkien's ragnarok where Morgoth returns and gets ultimately defeated at the cost of the world.
Nothing to talk about really, don't know why the other anon bought it up. It's not fleshed out at all and kinda ruins the universe for me.

It implies a cycle (at the end Eru recreates Arda for his elves) but the events of arda are then therefore meant to be the beginning of the cycle which erks me.
>>
>>63589273
She wasn't seen as a good maiden cause she wanted to do manly things.

Plus, The Hobbit is about going on an adventure, and the LOTR trilogy is about growing up and dealing with loss. All of those things are not womanly things, even now. Bitches just don't get sacrifice (through a visual medium, of course; my grandma is the manliest person I know and she has done more shit than any men I know personally) or feel a longing for extended experience via adventure.

I got major feels and teary eyed at the end of The Hobbit, when Bilbo sets off home and arrives at Bag End. Didn't even like most of the movies as a whole but just seeing him arrive back home after a grand adventure and having read the book took a massive toll on me. Seeing Sam and Frodo surrounded by lava and expecting to die, and also them coming home gave me feels I hadn't known I had at that age. Chicks would give up and just go home after reaching Elrond's place on both adventures, they don't understand the hardships and losses are part of what makes a journey great.

All they get feels for are things their genetics have ingrained in them: losing a relationship/partner, child, or social/economic standing. It's why relationship shit gets thrown into movies to get a female audience in to generate some ticket sales.
>>
All right, here we go.

Twin Towers > Revenge of the Empire > The New Hope > Fellowship of the Ring > Return of the King > Return of the Jedi
>>
If attractive fashionable high status guys liked LotR, they would. Unfortunately Star Wars has just become another arm of commercial culture, albeit with a Star Warsy taste to it since it's so merchandised now. LotR is liked mainly by neckbeards, nerds and assorted philologists.
>>
>>63591093
>Revenge of the Empire

:^)
>>
>>63588253

I'm tired of this love for LOTR

Tolkein spent a lot of time world building and really defined the genre through that but man fuck those books.

I don't get what people like about them.
>>
>>63591546
You explained the exact reason why people like these books with your post.
>>
>>63591633

yeah I guess. To me the story and characters are pretty bland. Do people just need a world to insert themselves into? That seems to be the financial formula.
>>
>>63588253
Did anyone else not like the hobbit series of Films? They were just so average at to me
>>
LotR is too complicated for women. They can't follow the plot at all, and are incapable of understanding the actions of characters like Theoden or Denethor, so they get bored.
>>
File: antmc9e11_0.jpg (16 KB, 250x199) Image search: [Google]
antmc9e11_0.jpg
16 KB, 250x199
>>63588253
>Caring this much about a franchise made for manchildren
>>
>>63588253
>Why do girls domt go full"fangurl" mode for LOTR

Sam will kill him if he tries anything.
>>
>>63591733
Reminder that the 'troupes' used inside his works were largely invented or popularized by Tolkien himself.

Because everything else since has turned it stale doesn't mean it's stale, it means the opposite.

But yes, the main thing which draws me to his works are the world which he painted so vividly.
>>
>>63591768

I'm pretty sure they are universally despised for unprecedented shitting on of source material and transparent greed
>>
>>63591879
>despised for unprecedented shitting on of source material
That would be LOTR. The Hobbit is the better adaptation.

You would have to read the books to understand this though.
>>
>>63591909

got me to reply
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.