[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have the Coen Brothers ever made a bad film? They're pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: aseriousman.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
aseriousman.jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
Have the Coen Brothers ever made a bad film? They're pretty much flawless.
>>
>>63580612
The Ladykillers.

Coen Brothers went full retard comedy
>>
>>63580704
I liked it, it's fun.
>>
>>63580612

True Grit kind of sucks
>>
>>63580704
Tom Hanks best role ever tbch. JK Simmons and the lady are great too but Marlon Wayans and the football player really bring it down.
>>
Intolerable Cruelty is shit
>>
>>63580612
You mean Joel Coen? ETHAN DOESN'T DO SHIT

LITERALLY VESTIGE: THE BROTHER
>>
The Man Who Wasn't There. too much pastiche and the antagonist/themes are recycled from Blood Simple.

>>63581373
pleb opinion.
>>
Inside Llewyn Davis by a long shit

>muh mysterious fat man with a hat

fuck off dick tracyshit fags
>>
>>63581951
This. Fucking awful movie.
>>
>>63582291
>>63581951
it has a lot of good scenes but the ending is extremely weak. it doesn't even work as a "he is trapped in his cyclical existence"-ending.
>>
>>63582368
It works fine as that.
>>
Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty, Burn After Reading
>>
>>63582368
>it doesn't even work as a "he is trapped in his cyclical existence"-ending.
What? How so?
>>
>>63580612
I watched it recently, I liked it.
What was up with that ending though.
>>
File: not-fade-away[2].jpg (103 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
not-fade-away[2].jpg
103 KB, 750x750
>>63582391
he only actually goes to that gig because of people trying to help him and turning down an opportunity to join the merchant navy. it's not clear why the Coens are saying he has a cyclical existence because there is no link between him and Dylan (he doesn't even do original material like Dylan).

I think they wanted to do a subversion of the plotline where a struggling musician has to get to a gig where he will be discovered but didn't really know what they wanted the point to be (other than to make sure Bob Dylan isn't at that gig). they don't even really provide the context that would have explained why he thinks trying to make a career out of covering old folk songs is a plausible option.

Not Fade Away is a better version of the same kind of story in my opinion.
>>
>>63582467
he's had some kind of serious illness for the entire time period the movie covers since the beginning when he is tested. that means that while he was fretting about all the worries of his life he was actually on borrowed time.

the movie is about how life is lived in a constant state of uncertainty, so it ends with us not knowing if he is terminally ill or not, and not knowing if his son gets into the shelter before being carried away by the tornado or not. the tornado is a reference to the book of Job where God speaks from the heart of one and says "where were you (Job) when I laid the foundations of the world".

art and religion are linked via the Rabbi Marshak scene. the point of the movie is to not overrate the importance of your problems and try to relax, because time is short.
>>
>>63582428
Burn After Reading was moderately funny. I liked it more than Inside Llewyn Davis.
>>
>>63582803
Was him taking the bribe money at the link related to his illness or tornado, or were those unrelated?
>>
I feel like Hail Caesar is going to be a mess
>>
>>63581455
Ethan has always co-directed - he couldn't receive credit for a while because of DGA rules
>>
>>63580612
Burn After Reading
>>
All of their films are bad. They write down to their characters. This flaw ruins all their movies. That's what you get when a pair of self-absorbed jewboys enthralled by their own intelligence write movies about stupid goyim. I stopped going to see their movies because of their preening arrogance.
>>
>>63583129
idiot
>>
>>63583250
No, an idiot would watch these movies and think, "It isn't strange at all that all these characters are morons." While watching these films you can imagine the Coen brothers writing the scripts and jerking each other off while talking about what masterminds they are while crafting plots that hinge entirely on their goy characters' lack of awareness. If you enjoy these films you're probably a stupid person who likes watching people dumber than you are bumbling around because it makes you feel smart. The Coens have never written an actual character, just buffoons. You can smell the contempt.
>>
File: 1383876105945.jpg (28 KB, 166x231) Image search: [Google]
1383876105945.jpg
28 KB, 166x231
>people suddenly dislike Inside Llewyn Davis
What happened?
>>
>>63582888
This, but if it doesn't, it will probably end up my favorite.
>>
File: 34333443.jpg (22 KB, 700x377) Image search: [Google]
34333443.jpg
22 KB, 700x377
Hudsucker Proxy wasn't bad, but it's down there imo.
>>
Fargo TV series is better than the movie
>>
>>63583460
>If you enjoy these films you're probably a stupid person who likes watching people dumber than you are bumbling around because it makes you feel smart.
You mean 4chan?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.