[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's with this trend about The Shining? Kubrick is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
So what's with this trend about The Shining? Kubrick is my favorite filmmaker, has been for many, many years. But I never particularly cared for the Shining. Now, with all of these retarded theories about the movie, people act like it is his greatest work. I have literally heard intelligent people say that it is better than 2001.

I have recently rewatched it about 20 times, and the thing I was most impressed with was the use of music and tight storytelling. I failed to see any symbolism of grand schemes like the gold standard or genocide.

Also, have any of you ever thought for one second about my responsibilities?
>>
I hope this is bait.
>>
Kubrick fans are autists, that's all.

It's amazing how much credence people give to his mass market genre fiction.
>>
>>63567727
I hate when fans make a band/filmmaker/whatever almost unbearable.
>>
I think that it's probably his most accessible Golden Years movie has a lot to do with it. Afterall, the movie has the clear goal, on Kubrick's part, of simply being fucking fucking scary, and it delivers. It is quite rewatchable and something that can be shared with others too. Try 'showing' someone Barry Lyndon or Clockwork Orange. They're just a little too much like reading novels, very isolating and personal experiences.

The Shining, on the other hand, is a haunted house, with simple plot and dialogue and a pretty snappy pace.

The grander themes are 'there' in the same way that all the Iraq oil stuff is 'there' in There Will Be Blood; in that its blank enough about those little references you can read any number of things into it in the wider context of You, the viewer and what you choose to bring to it. Kubrick probably knew this much when nodding to Native Americans but the fact remains it has little actual thematic resonance on the story being told in the movie itself, so I reckon it's best to treat those things with the same amount of attention as they have in the movie itself.
>>
>>63567656
One theory is this film is about perpetual child abuse.
>>
Autists with boredom look too deeply into a movie.
>>
>>63567878

That's no theory, it's plainly stated in the movie, and the source.
>>
File: tlr6.jpg (19 KB, 627x440) Image search: [Google]
tlr6.jpg
19 KB, 627x440
>>63567656
>I have literally heard intelligent people say that it is better than 2001.
>>
>>63567843
I find this movie far funnier than it is scary. But then again, I didn't have parents, so it may be that I can't relate. The only part I find scary is the bathroom scene with Grady.

Also, I relate quite a bit to Jack, so there's that.

I also don't believe that the plot is simple. There are a lot of blank spots in there.

>>63567878
The movie is about the perpetuity of time in general. You could throw any theme in there.
>>
>>63567982
Maybe I should have added, "Otherwise".
>>
>>63567777
>band

Is Tool the Stanley Kubrick of music? I avoid ever mentioning either one in conversation because people will either assume I'm some arrogant pseudo-intellectual or worse, they'll be a fan too they think we've entered into some fanboy pissing contest whether I like it or not.
>>
>>63568133
Tool fans are the fucking worst. Joe Rogans, everyone of them.
>>
>>63567777
Maybe you're putting too much stock in what other people think, both of you in particular and things in general.
>>
>>63567656
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfout_rgPSA

maybe you watched the wrong shining
>>
>>63568133
Yes. I almost said Tool, but refrained because I didn't want to derail my own thread. I fucking love Tool. I have been a huge fan since I saw "Sober" on Beavis & Butthead. But I had no idea what their fans were like. I imagine that they can't stand them.
>>
>>63567951
Kubrick shat on the source though and made it into something greater

Of course, idiots on /tv/ won't recognise that
>>
>>63568193
No, I don't care in the way that you think. Hence, why I made this thread. It just makes discourse difficult. Look at the first two posts. You can't even mention Tool on /mu/. I mean, for God's sake, they have Queensryche on their list of recommended Prog Metal, but not Tool.
>>
>>63568296
It's funny, because my GF was watching The Stand miniseries, after watching a bunch of other Stephen King DVD's we were given, and I was like,"Jesus, that is this guys magnum opus. He is such a fucking hack." Then A read Kubrick threw his script away and called him weak. I smiled wryly.
>>
>>63568178
Oh, so you think you're a real Tool fan huh?

Well can you tell me what Maynard's left ball tastes like on a Wednesday? Didn't think so, poser.
>>
>>63568375
I bet you're wearing vans, 501s, nipple rings and new tattoos right now.
>>
>>63568206
I would watch this version, it looks so comfy
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.