[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
a single starfleet ship could take out the entire imperial navy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 39
File: whowouldwin.jpg (546 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
whowouldwin.jpg
546 KB, 1280x1024
a single starfleet ship could take out the entire imperial navy because they're shooting lasers and dont have shields.
>>
only you care
>>
What is the canon range of a handheld phaser?
>>
>>63563948
WRONG ASSHOLE
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ISD-72x_deflector_shield_generator_dome
>>
>>63563948
Except that you're completely wrong, most Star Wars ships have at least two if not three layers of shielding, each for a different purpose, turbolasers, despite the name, are condensed plasma, not laser beams and regularly punch through armor plate thicker than the entirety of a Star Trek ship's hull. Also, Star Trek ships still incorporate conventional metals like steel and aluminum, metals which would both boil into gas when struck with even the weakest capital ship sized weapons from Star Wars.
>>
>>63563957
millions of people do actually
>>
The real question is, Empire vs Borg.
>>
>>63563969
90 meters
>>
>>63564137
Sauce?

Is the range the same for all settings?
>>
>>63564093
Well, I think it would depend on how long it would take the Borg to figure out a way to either bypass or drain your average imperial ships shielding so they could transport drones onto it en masse.
The Borg's shield neutralizer might work effectively on ships of equal or lesser strength, but Star Destroyers for example produce a helluva lot more energy, so it would probably require them to come up with some way of getting around them before the imperial ship could retaliate.
As far as weapons go, photon torpedoes could match the speed and damage of small or possibly medium sized turbolaser cannons, and while phaser beams travel a lot faster than either, they wouldn't impart anywhere near enough energy to be a threat in spite of trekfags delusions.
Borg ships would fare a lot better against a turbolaser bolt than other Star Trek ships would, since turbolasers are primarily penetrating weapons and Borg ships are modular and decentralized. Still, I don't think an individual cube would be capable of overwhelming an individual Star Destroyer.
As far as speed goes, any hyperdrive capable ship from Star Wars vastly outpaces ships from Star Trek.

I think the Empire would have a pretty sizable advantage, but should the Borg capture a couple imperial ships and begin assimilating Star Wars technology, they'd likely even the odds, if not swing the advantage to their side outright.
>>
>>63563948
>and dont have shields.

why do people keep saying this? Ship shields were prominently featured in Return of the Jedi
>>
File: sd17[1].jpg (86 KB, 972x601) Image search: [Google]
sd17[1].jpg
86 KB, 972x601
>>63564403
For some reason Trekkies think that a starship that gets rocked violently from side to side by a single nuclear bomb can muster the kind of fight it would take to take on ships which give and shrug off greater hits as a matter of course.
>>
>>63564021
>has this
>never seen once or is completely useless
>>
Star Trek technobabble > anything the Empire can throw at them
>>
>>63564376
Wouldn't matter. They beamed onto and from the enterprise so time wouldn't be a factor. Empire will get BORGED.com and will service them
>>
File: kek.jpg (429 KB, 2880x1190) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
429 KB, 2880x1190
>>63563948
Thatn size comparison is wrong tho. I always liked how Star Trek kept their ships at a relatively small scale and didn't go into fuckhuge territory until JJ Trek that Hack.
>>
>>63563948

My sci-fi space armada could defeat yours. Check fucking mate.
>>
What stops ST fleet from beaming men/splosives into the SW ships? Seems pretty OP to me.
>>
>>63564939
Beaming through shields is not a very common thing, especially not beaming through three layers of shields simultaneously, in addition to the fact that those shields are vastly beyond anything that a Borg ship would have ever encountered.

I'm not saying its impossible, after all the whole reason the Borg are formidable is because they're adaptable, I'm just skeptical that it'd just be a piece of cake for them.
>>
>>63565184
>Try to beam men/explosives onto Star Wars ship.
>Pass through the particle shields because they only stop solid objects.
>Hit the deflector shields and either bash through them (likely impossible) or get around them.
>Hit the ray shields where your men/weapons atoms are scattered by the shields completely and lost.
>>
>>63565198
Apparently it is for the Borg. They beam into the bridge of the enterprise with ease. How so are these shields superior to an already superior civilization? Not to mention they can actually time travel and wipe out the ćuckpire like they tried to do with urf in first contact
>>
>>63565294
Burarum! Sounds like EU mieschief to me!
>>
The technobabble would always win, it's divine magic vs modern technology.

There is only one outcome, starfleet wins.
>>
>>63565317
One would think it would be pretty self evident that Star Wars shields are vastly more powerful than those in Star Trek, firstly since Star Wars's various races have been spacefaring for thousands of years, secondly because Star Wars ships have shrugged off beatings from weapons that would pack enough punch to rapidly overload, if not immediately cripple ships from Star Trek.
Star wars ships the size of Star Destroyers or larger consume energy similar to the output from small stars, that power must go somewhere don't you think? How exactly is any Stark Trek civilization superior to those in Star Wars, when for example, the Empire can fabricate artificial structures the size of entire planets in only a couple of years.
In addition, why would the Borg time travel to a period where there was no technology worth assimilating? To actually time travel back to a point where Star Wars spacefaring vessels were weaker than them, they'd have to jump back in time at least two thousand years, if not more.
If they could pull off that kind of time travel shenanigans, they would have conquered their own universe completely.
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 736x1058) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 736x1058
A disturbance in the Warp causes an Imperial Navy capital ship to materialise next to the quantum singularity that's bought the Enterprise face-to-face with a Star Destroyer.

Who wins?
>>
>>63565597
>they would have conquered their own universe completely.
They conquered their own galaxy. Which reminds me, Star Trek takes place across multiple galaxies right? Whereas ships in SW only have the power to navigate through their own galaxy. So ST ships have SW ships beaten on that front.
>>
>>63565785
Everyone loses because 40k is retarded.
>>
>>63563948
Except Shields do exist in Star Wars you fucking retard..
>>
>>63565597
You forget that star wars technology is based on ancient tech, and star trek is based on super efficient technology.

Think appartment sized computers vs your smartphone. But on a much larger scale.
>>
>>63565785
Clearly the Imperials

>Huge fuck off space ship that dwarfs anything from ST or SW.
>Even an average imperial vessel has enough firepower to destroy multiple planets.
>Has enough shielding to withstand the aforementioned planet destroying guns whilst also navigating the tumult of the warp.
>Imperials are possessed of a zealous mindset that would see them immediately open fire on any xenos scum.

SW and ST ships wouldn't stand a chance.
>>
>>63563948
1. They're called turbolasers, sure, but it's plasma weapons
2. They have shields
>>
>>63565815
>Star Trek takes place across multiple galaxies.
Have you ever watched Star Trek Anon?
There's a magic shield around their Galaxy which makes it almost impossible for ships to leave or enter.
Some alien species have been able to enter the Galaxy with difficulty, but almost all species in Trek are either normal four dimensional beings, come from an alternate dimension, or are entities above material existence most of the time.

Meanwhile, the various empires and republics of Star Wars have explored more than half of their galaxy, and at their height both the GR and GE were made up of at least a million worlds, not counting the planets of the unaligned outer rim, and whatever species/governments exist in wild space/unexplored space.
>>
File: image.jpg (694 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
694 KB, 1680x1050
>>63565816
OK. How about the SDF-1 Macross?

>size: 1210 meters
>>
>>63565978

i thought they almost never leave milky way because even at warp speed it would take a long time
>>
File: get fucked shitlords.jpg (40 KB, 736x468) Image search: [Google]
get fucked shitlords.jpg
40 KB, 736x468
>yfw galaxy x spinal phaser cleaves an entire fleet of star destroyers in half with one burst
>>
>>63565785
w40k ships fire suns and blackholes at each other on an average tuesday, the Empire and the Starfleet don't stand a chance
>>
>>63566030
Because they don't have shields, right?
>>
>>63565978
>There's a magic shield around their Galaxy which makes it almost impossible for ships to leave or enter.
>Some alien species have been able to enter the Galaxy with difficulty, but almost all species in Trek are either normal four dimensional beings, come from an alternate dimension, or are entities above material existence most of the time.
>Meanwhile, the various empires and republics of Star Wars have explored more than half of their galaxy, and at their height both the GR and GE were made up of at least a million worlds, not counting the planets of the unaligned outer rim, and whatever species/governments exist in wild space/unexplored space.
Shit, I can't believe I forgot about the various quadrants. Your right anon, SW beats ST every time - apart from the fact that people have access to conventional teleporters in ST.
>>
the shield generators in star wars are easily destroyed
>>
>>63563948
Let me put it this way. Can a star destroyer modulate its shield harmonics while firing negatively charged tachyon bursts out of their deflector array?
>>
File: executor[1].jpg (292 KB, 1760x736) Image search: [Google]
executor[1].jpg
292 KB, 1760x736
>>63566025
In Original Trek there's a foggy violet/purple barrier at the fringe of the Milky Way, it discharges energy like a storm and causes severe damage to ships passing through it, as well as having adverse effects on any individual with a high ESP rating.
There was one instance I can recall of a ship making it through, and that would the Kelvin scout ship, which was crippled passing through the barrier, which implies that the races inside the Milky Way are nowhere near ready to punch through it, since the Kelvins were significantly more advanced.
>>63565785
>Not even 5km
>LaughingSSD's.jpg
>>
>>63564376
someone pls tell me this is pasta
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 1024x486) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 1024x486
>>63566112
>Taken out by single kamikaze A-Wing
>>
>>63566112

is that barrier supposed to be natural ?
>>
>>63566054
No, because it keks at shields.

It cleaves through neg'vars like they aren't even there. Which are far more formidable warships than star destroyers.
Th galaxy class already has the most powerful phaser array in all of starfleet, and the spinal lance is many times more powerful, and has a higher recharge rate to boot.
>>
>>63566281
I guess you'll just not bother to mention the simultaneous focused fire of an entire fleet of hostile ships or anything like that.
>>
>>63564376
>>63565198
>>63565597
>>63565978
Shit, this is actually pretty well thought

But here my question, doesn't have an average starfleet ship enough firepower to blow up a planet and even a small star? I don't recall Star destroyers being that powerful.
>>
>>63566282
I don't think it was ever discussed, but there was no indication of it being artificial in the episodes where it appears/is mentioned.
>>
>>63566281
Yeah, because the whole rebel fleet was just looking and not firing at it
>>
>>63564021
>have shield
>put shield generators as big autistic balls right next to the bridge
>imperial engineering
>>
>>63566416
reading the wikia about it, it 's it was made by the Q. But its form some book
>>
>>63563948
Why do the engineers in Star Trek not provide seatbelts? I mean that ship shudders like all fuck when it gets hit and people fall over and shit, it's an easily preventable problem
>>
>>63566390
Federation Starships can render planets uninhabitable by discharging various forms of radiation from their Deflector Dishes, or accurately strike ground targets with Phasers and Photon Torpedoes.

Star Destroyers of any kind could preform orbital bombardment of planets at least in Legends, and while it was never shown in the movies, its strongly implied that they are capable of it, this is why the Rebels were so desperate to protect Hoth's shield generator.
It protected their base from orbital bombardment.
Plus the Death Star was still capable of firing its superlaser when not at full charge, and considering its fully charged beam could turn a planet into gravel sized rubble and vapor, I think it would be safe to assume that even at its lowest power it would be capable of causing a planetary scale cataclysm.
>>
File: Sun_Crusher-NEGWT.jpg (149 KB, 600x1024) Image search: [Google]
Sun_Crusher-NEGWT.jpg
149 KB, 600x1024
>>63563948
Suncrusher turns up and auto wins because fuck you, it's the SS Mary Sue
>>
>don't have shields
>R2, GET THAT DEFLECTOR SHIELD BACK UP
OP on fucking suicide watch
>>
File: image.jpg (354 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
354 KB, 1600x900
>>63566284
>>63566433
>SSDfags trying to justify their favourite ship being shit

The shields were still up. The rebel fleet wasn't making a dent in it. Then somehow one A-Wing gets shot down and kamikazes through the front deflector and into the bridge.

Face it, it's the Boba Fett of ship designs: pretty but useless.
>>
File: captainkuk.jpg (23 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
captainkuk.jpg
23 KB, 500x282
>>63565597
You just proved yourself wrong. The fact that they do have technology means they are capable of assimilation. and if the imperials are 'more advanced because muh common knowledge', why do they not have time travel? it's all relative, but in this case borg win easily.

i know you may only watch star wars like a true memer, but they do try it in voyager, and they constantly try to take over planets, and many of which they succeeded.
>>
Kes is more powerful than Vader.
>>
>>63565597
They don't even have computers in Star Wars. They don't have wifi, everyone communicates with walkietalkies. All the robots they build are half retarded.
>>
>>63566528
The Enterprise once destroyed a sun with just six photon torpedoes so I think that trumps the death star's pewpew lazer.
>>
>>63563948
If taking Legends into account, the Sun Crusher alone could solo Starfleet.
>>
>>63564984

>ok, we're increasing the size of the engines and weapons/weapon bays by say 500% and reducing the crew drastically to only a few dozen people.

>we need to make the crew areas 500% bigger as well so it doesn't look stupid. So what if that's making us a huge target?

This sort of ridiculous scaling is the hallmark of a fucking hack who caters to dumbfucks and doesn't care about realism within their own universe because they think it's 'cool'.
>>
File: 9cefd70df29c8.jpg (59 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
9cefd70df29c8.jpg
59 KB, 320x240
>>63566670
In regular canon, Q could take out that faggot ass ship. Q would take starfleet, borg, and imperials out, fags. get on Q's level.
>>
>>63566017
SDF-1 beat like 4 million ships in about half an hour anon
The power of song is too great
>>
File: RankaLee-Na_F-12.jpg (209 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
RankaLee-Na_F-12.jpg
209 KB, 1920x1080
>>63566017
the real power of macross is the jpop, all they have to do is blast some music on all frequencies.
>>
>>63566733
True, but Q's not a ship.
Unless he wants to be.
>there will never be a TNG episode where Q becomes the Enterprise and shenanigans ensue
>>
>>63566281

What I don't understand is why did it crash like that? Did the bridge explosion fuck with their navigation system or something?
>>
File: Tombship3.jpg (25 KB, 643x271) Image search: [Google]
Tombship3.jpg
25 KB, 643x271
>>63565785
>Who wins?
Necrons.
>>
>>63566868
i would love to see more Q shenanigans in the next series.
>>
>>63566875
They couldn't handle the memes
>>63566893
>Necrons
Eldar would wreck them even with their gay nearly extinct species
>>
>>63566632
>All the robots they build are half retarded
So like Data?
>>
>>63566875
It's Return of the Jedi, everything was silly in that.
>>
Wait, so the main Trekthread now has to involve Star Wars?

I know SWvST threads have existed in the past but there are literally 43 Star Wars threads in the catalog right now, please let Star Trek have its own thread by showing discipline and not participating in Star Wars-polluted Star Trek threads
>>
why do all star wars aliens look like humans with scales or extra hair
>>
>>63566921
Data isn't half retarded though, he's just pretending to be to fit in.
>>
>>63566466
having them be big autistic balls might just be the best design for them, and being right next to the bridge might be so the shield would be strongest there.
>>
>>63566017
A VF-1J Valkyrie is superior to an X-wing prove me wrong
>>
>>63566948
I think you mean Star Trek and the answer is budget.

I think there's some canon in-universe explanation as well. DNA and shit.
>>
>>63566916
>gay nearly extinct species
>nearly extinct
This always rustles my jimmies, on each battle they lose enough population to fill a planet, yet they didn't go extinct yet
>>
>>63566986
Wraithguards and shit, they're already dead technically
>>
>>63566977
the vf-j1 first saw combat in 2007, we are living in the age of macross and no jpop idol has saved us from an alien invasion
>>
>>63566977
>implying x-wing is the best wing
B-wing beats them all, and now with death star's ray even more
>>
why do star wars nerds always compare the enterprise to a star destroyer? shouldnt they be comparing it to one of those bubbly rebel ships captained by akbar?
>>
>>63564021
>WRONG ASSHOLE
When forgetting basic punctuation gives you a completely different meaning.
>>
>>63566916

>Nearly extinct

Oh come on, there are more Eldar than there are humans living on Earth right now; and that's not even counting the darks!
>>
>>63567328
But in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium there is only war
>>
>>63564984
>I always liked how Star Trek kept their ships at a relatively small scale and didn't go into fuckhuge territory until JJ Trek that Hack.
Dominion had those fuck huge cruisers.

And the borg, but it felt justified with them.
>>
>>63566528
>sustained phaser blast to a weak point in a continental fault
>9.8magnitude earth quakes rack the planet as entire plates slip loose
>volcanoes erupt simultaneously
>tractor a few minor planetoids into a collision course
>full spread of tri cobalt warheads and quantum torpedoes at any remaining life signs
That's how Janeway would do it anyways.
>>
>>63567504
>Janeway
This is an interesting point. In a Universe where Janeway and Sheev exist together, we all lose.
>>
File: doge.jpg (285 KB, 1050x684) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
285 KB, 1050x684
>Comparing universes with completely different laws of physics
Why do you people exist
>>
>>63566500
Well there's something that keeps them from being splattered when going from a standstill to 1000 of times the speed of light so seatbelts wouldn't do shit.
>>
>>63566550
Star Trek had the same thing though with that McDowell missle thing
>>
>>63565184
Shields. You can't beam through shields.
>>
The same threads every day. The answer is no, because they do have shields, and their weaponry and shielding operates literally a handful of orders of magnitude beyond anything available in Star Trek.

Star Wars weaponry is almost 40k levels of OP when you sit down to evaluate the mathematics behind it.
>>
>>63565978
Have YOU watched Star Trek? There's no magic shield around the galaxy. There's a magic shield around the galactic CORE but not around the galaxy itself. The reason they never leave is because its way too far to the next galaxy.
>>
>>63568005
Because my peni-Starship is better than your Starship!
>>
File: Hemlock.jpg (44 KB, 409x448) Image search: [Google]
Hemlock.jpg
44 KB, 409x448
>>63568303
Nothing but 40k is 40k levels of OP
>The Spiritseer's own abilities are magnified many times over by the mindshock pod in his cockpit, allowing him to send out a wave of terror from his craft that is capable of shattering the enemy with feelings of panic. Just as this fear reaches its peak, the Hemlock's spirits will fire the Heavy D-Scythes mounted under each wing, leaving behind no blast, damage, or trail, but rather only a stream of corpses as the victims souls are ripped from their bodies
Fucking silly
>>
>>63566632
>They don't even have computers in Star Wars

You high nigga?
>>
File: Replicator_mothership.jpg (113 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
Replicator_mothership.jpg
113 KB, 700x393
Stargate for no reason.

Who could defeat the Replicators?
>>
>>63568318
Its been a while since I watched that episode, but I swear I remember them saying the edge of the galaxy.
When I hear "edge of the galaxy" I don't think of the edge of the galactic core, I think of the fucking edge of the galaxy, as in the point at which our galaxies gravitational pull can no longer keep stars orbiting it.
>>
>>63568470
You forgot the Q.

>yfw the entire 40k universe was made by Q just to fuck with picard for a day or two
>>
>>63564376
Back to reddit
>>
>>63568539
Q is basically god, just some regular engineer asshole makes shit like the Hemlock
>>
>>63568539
Q isn't omnipotent. Several characters throughout the trek franchise say this. Q is just really powerful.
>>
>>63568539
Some Newcron nig has an oratory that can blow up any planet in the galaxy now, also they can travel through time and shit or something. I haven't played the crap in over 10 years but apparently it's only gotten sillier with time
>>
>>63568470
Star Wars may not be 40k in the sheer amount of retardedly bullshit super weapons, but it is 40k levels of bullshit when it comes to decimal places.

Lets compare Slave 1 to the fucking Enterprise D.

Slave 1:
>Output of main guns: 64,000 gigawatts (2 kilotons per shot, 480 rpm)
>Output of missiles: 190 megatons (for tail-launched missiles. Seismic charges are 12,000 megatons)
>Operational range: 150,000 lightyears
>Shield heat dissipation: 2 billion gigawatts peak
>Max hyperspace speed: 10,000,000 c

Enterprise D
>Main phasers: 3.6 gigawatts
>Photon torpedoes: 64 megatons theoretical max
>Operational range: 3,750 lightyears
>Shield heat dissipation: 3311 gigawatts peak
>Max warp speed: 2,000 c (Warp 9.6)

George Lucas is a moron with no concept of what those big numbers mean, so he made his numbers big and dumb. Star Trek at least attempted to be somewhat grounded in logic, and its numbers are less big and dumb. Unfortunately, we're comparing two different canons, not logic, and thus Star Wars wins by a billion lightyears as Slave 1 destroys the entirety of Starfleet.
>>
>>63568654
Doesn't mean it's not well within their power.
>>63568687
That ain't shit though, there are civilization in star trek that do that daily.
>>
>>63568691
I highly doubt George actually wrote the numbers, that was probably some continuity guys job and he just said "fuck it" and no one could be fucked to make sense of it
>>
>>63568748
Still, canon.
>>
>>63568748
Regardless of where the exact numbers came from, travel from the galactic core to the outer rim routinely constitutes a day's commute in A New Hope, The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

Being that A Galaxy Far Far Away and the Milky Way are the same size, and the fact that it took Voyager 7 years to cross only a portion of a quarter of the galaxy, its clear even in George Lucas's own writing that Star Wars technology is completely and totally out of the league of Star Trek's.
>>
>>63568691
>190 megatons

Jesus, fucking Slave 1 could level entire New York with suburbs with one fucking missile.
>>
>>63568838
Now lets take a look at an Acclamator-class TROOP TRANSPORT from the Clone Wars.

>Light guns: 300 million gigawatts (6 megatons per shot, 24 guns, assume 1 shot every 2 seconds for time-averaged power output rather than peak output)
>Heavy guns: 2.4 million megatons (200 gigatons per shot from each turret, 12 turrets)
>Operational range: 250,000 light-years (before refueling)
>Shield heat dissipation: 70 trillion gigawatts peak
>Max hyperspace speed: 10,000,000 c

An outdated troop transport has more firepower than the entirety of every vessel of every species in Star Trek combined, multiplied by a billon.

Star Wars technology is nothing more than FUCKHUGE NUMBERS YEEEEAH
>>
>>63568533

If random fuckwad SG teams could do it i'm sure any of the mentioned universes could easily deal with them.
>>
>>63568988
>Star Wars technology is nothing more than FUCKHUGE NUMBERS YEEEEAH

Or you know its the culmination of 20,000 years of tech.
Fyi 20,000 years is how long Star Wars universe has had hyperspace travel.
>>
>>63569097
>20,000 years is how long Star Wars universe has had hyperspace travel

Great, but that's just one more example of a fuckhuge number present in Star Wars canon and only furthers my point.
>>
>>63569153
Its not a random "fuckhuge" number. Its part of the history of the setting.
An ancient civilization from 20,000 years ago introduced Hyperspace travel to the galaxy.
>>
>>63568988
>(200 gigatons per shot from each turret, 12 turrets)

Neat, one salvo from heavy guns would turn a continent into dust.
>>
>>63569205
I understand what you're trying to get across, but what you have to understand is that its just another example of bullshit put in by the writers. Humans in Star Trek have had warp travel for a few hundred years, but we want Star Wars to be more epic so we'll say humans have had warp travel for a few tens of THOUSANDS of years.
>>
>>63563948
They do have shields. Did you even watch ROTJ?

They had to fly fighters in to shoot the shield bits on to of the bridge before they could even damage them. Enterprise fags BTFO. No fighters on that piece of shit and I'd love to see the shuttles do damage shirt of Kamikaze runs.
>>
>>63569231
You're entire line of thinking is the writers wanted bigger numbers than Star Trek.
Do you know how stupid that sounds?
>>
>>63569205
>Its not a random "fuckhuge" number.
hhahahahhaha it literally is
>>
>>63569249
Considering when Star Wars was released Star Trek was an immensely popular sci fi space fantasy it isn't ridiculous at all to assume the writers wanted to be bigger and more fantastic.
>>
>>63568691
Now do the new star trek numbers.

>320 isoton warheads
>320*2.6=832 MT
>almost a gigaton per warhead

This massive inflation is retarded, in both universes.

>>63569205
They put no thought into the numbers, they just facerolled and went with it.

>>63569249
His point is there is no need for these retarded numbers, there was ZERO thought put into them.

>here just write some big numbers down to make it seem impressive
>doesnt matter if they are physically feasible
>>
>>63569234
>They had to fly fighters in to shoot the shield bits on to of the bridge
Maybe they should have made the shield generators internal, I can't help but feel this shit is stupid in Star Wars
>Hey, we need to shield the death star
>Oh, put it down on the surface of the moon
>Massive fuck off star destroyer needs to have the generators on the outside of its hull
Seems like it projects the shield so why the fuck would they build it outside?
>>
>>63569299
>when Star Wars was released Star Trek was an immensely popular sci fi space fantasy

Actually in 77 Star Trek wasn't very popular at all outside hard core fans.
>>
>>63569302
Except there WAS thought put into it cause the ancient civilization becomes an important plot at various points in the EU.
>>
>>63569313
This is a common misconception.
The big round thing is not a shield generator. Its a sensor dome.
The failure is the choice of scene cuts.
>>
>>63569302
>almost a gigaton per warhead
May be able to give Slave 1 a run for its money at this point, but still nowhere close to this guy here:
>>63568988
>>
>>63569348
DUDE WE ARE SO OLD WE CAN MAKE UP ANY NUMBERS WE WANT LMAO
>>
>>63569403
I see we're at the shitposting part of the argument now.
>>
>>63569379
OK, then that gets a pass, what about the stupid shit in Episode 1 where the generator literally gets shot and droids have to fix it?
>>
File: 1362264780114.gif (2 MB, 300x236) Image search: [Google]
1362264780114.gif
2 MB, 300x236
>Mr. Worf, please transport a full spread of photon torpedoes throughout their hull
>Aye sir

star wars babbies LITERALLY btfo
>>
File: all the keks.png (34 KB, 199x200) Image search: [Google]
all the keks.png
34 KB, 199x200
>>63569348
In the end it still came out of some fat guys ass. They never even thought of asking people who actually knew shit for advice.
>>
>>63569414
Im not anon youre arguing with just shitposting this entire shit thread :^)
>>
>>63569419
My answer to that, is its the prequels and the prequels are dumb and not thought out.

>>63569422
Can't beam through shields nigger.
>>
>>63569348
Man you're just missing the point. If I wrote my own science fiction and carefully laid out how my race had a storied past and was capable of faster than light travel for ten million years and had firepower in the gazillion femtoton range, you wouldn't go "wow, that's a really well thought out backstory and provides excellent justification for their incredible tech", you'd slap me in the face and call me an idiot. That is exactly what Star Wars did.
>>
>>63569422
haha I read that facebook meme too rofl
>>
>>63569422
>Oh wait they've got shields for days.
>Cut in half by a single shot from a light turbolaser.
>>
>>63569451
>you'd slap me in the face and call me an idiot

No I wouldn't. 40k did EXACTLY that and its popular as shit.
>>
File: 1323117686406.jpg (10 KB, 312x297) Image search: [Google]
1323117686406.jpg
10 KB, 312x297
>>63569446
confirmed for never watching star trek

DO you KLITERAKKYL know HOW ASGTUPID YOU souNDR IGHT NOW?
>>
>>63569473
40k is LITERALLY the poster child for bullshit overpowered nonsense. How can you even argue this with a straight face.
>>
>>63569491
Well it was supposed to be a parody but manchildren started taking it seriously
>>
>>63569476
I've watched Star Trek more than you apparently.
Every time on TNG a plot point is made how they can't beam up the away team while the Enterprise has its shields up.
>>
>>63569511
>manchildren started taking it seriously
I really hope they don't, Fantasy had better lore anyway, until the fire nation attacked and made fantasy marines
>>
File: this entire everything.png (16 KB, 362x324) Image search: [Google]
this entire everything.png
16 KB, 362x324
>>63569451
>gazillion femtoton

I shat my pants imagining this actually being used in something.

PREPARE THE FEMTOTON YIELD DEVICE

>its half a stick of tnt

>>63569517
Beaming through shields happens fairly often though.
>>
>>63569563
>Beaming through shields happens fairly often though.

No it doesn't.
>>
>>63569517
list of entities who have transported through shields:

-voyager
-sloan
-the borg
-dominion
-aldeans

thanks for playing :^)
>>
>>63569517
Sometimes its not even shields, sometimes its just atmospheric phenomena. Shit, just being in the vicinity of a lightning storm can protect you from the oh so omnipotent transporter.
>>
>>63569593
Voyager isn't canon.
Sloan never transported through shields
Borg are higher tech
So are Dominion
Who the fuck is Aldeans
>>
>>63569801
Then nothing besides the first star wars movie is canon.
>>
>>63566572
Confirmed for not watching it

>shot of shield domes blowing up after nonstop attacks
>crewman literally says "Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shields"
>A Wing slams through now defenceless bridge
>>
File: manhattanssd.0.jpg (174 KB, 770x690) Image search: [Google]
manhattanssd.0.jpg
174 KB, 770x690
>>63563948

True. This ship was c.ucked by a single seat fighter.
>>
>>63563948
I thought for a moment that it's some kind of Playstation 2 vs Dreamcast ad
>>
>>63564376

>implying the trade federation would find a way to turn the borg into an army of battle droids

>implying Sheev wouldn't wreck the borg with his lightning
>>
>>63566563

1) that didn't happen
2) if it did happen, it's not canon
>>
File: ok by mac.gif (876 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
ok by mac.gif
876 KB, 256x192
>>63570694
im ok with this
>>
I remember having this exact same argument in 6th grade.
>>
>>63563948
>don't have shields.

naw
>>
>>63566112
>>63568318
>>63568538

The Galactic Barrier is described as being made up of Negative Energy and resembling the Aurora Borealis.

The Great Barrier is what surrounds the Galactic Core.

The Enterprise encountered but did not pass through the Barrier in "Where No Man Has Gone Before", while investigating a distress signal from the SS Valiant, which had disappeared 200 years before.

In "By Any Other Name", scouts from the Kelvan Empire, whose own ship was destroyed at the Galactic Barrier, sieze the Enterprise, modifiy it with Kelvan technology, to enable a voyage of only 300 years, and successfully navigate the passage of the Galactic Barrier, becoming the first Federation ship to enter Intergalactic Space.

In "Is There No Truth In Beauty",
The USS Enterprise is assigned to transport the Medusan ambassador Kollos back to his home-world, a crewman looking upon the Medusa is driven mad, he takes control of the Enterprise, modifying its engines and propelling the ship to warp 9.5, into and beyond the Galactic Barrier and into Interstellar Space.
>>
File: Wise-old-Traveler.png (145 KB, 459x345) Image search: [Google]
Wise-old-Traveler.png
145 KB, 459x345
>>63573542

That's all BS. This guy flung the Enterprise first to the M61 galaxy and then to the edge of the universe
>>
>>63568554
every fucking time
it's always a piece of shit redditor too
just fuck off and die
>>
>>63567276
We got ourselves a correct asshole over here.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
99 KB, 1280x720
What about Hubble?
>>
File: makeitso.jpg (406 KB, 1198x674) Image search: [Google]
makeitso.jpg
406 KB, 1198x674
alright /tv/, you disappoint me. You are forgetting the most important variable; the captains. I would take the Enterprise with Captain Kirk or Picard on the bridge over anything the empire(or anything in SW canon). Star Wars is fun and free for all, while Star Trek is more strategic and naval.

-Engage
>>
File: Imperial_attack_cruisers.png (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_attack_cruisers.png
2 MB, 1920x816
was ship design the one thing Lucas did overwhelmingly right in the prequels?
>>
File: ep2-014.jpg (4 MB, 4381x1522) Image search: [Google]
ep2-014.jpg
4 MB, 4381x1522
>>63575043
Yes, which means there's a 99% chance it wasn't done by Lucas
>>
>>63575043

But ship design in the PT was awful.
>>
>>63575194
literally a space Hind, has there ever been a better looking sci-fi gunship ever?
>>
File: ARC170starfighter.jpg (84 KB, 1040x480) Image search: [Google]
ARC170starfighter.jpg
84 KB, 1040x480
>>63575227
You are
>wrong
>not right
>>
File: latest[3].png (665 KB, 967x544) Image search: [Google]
latest[3].png
665 KB, 967x544
>>63571861
fuck off
>>
>>63568838
that's not very impressive we've been able to level entire countries with one missle for quite some time
>>
>>63574886
any ST captain would make the mistake of video chatting with the imperials and then get force chocked
>>
>>63569299

When the books that gave those retarded fuckhuge numbers came out, Star Trek was already kind of sliding in popularity with the prequel hype train building.
>>
why did they build the deathstar if regular ships had enough firepower to easily glass most planets?
>>
>>63575846
Not quite

The most powerful bomb ever detonated, the Tsar bomba, was "only" 56 megatons
>>
>>63576214
most modern nuclear missiles have more than one warhead
>>
>>63571861

>Dialog from the original movies didn't happen and isn't canon

We're hitting new levels of retardation here
>>
>>63566281
In fairness, this happened after their bridge shields went down. It would be the equivalent of having a Trek ship's bridge explode and then the ship go careening into an asteroid unguided.
>>
>>63569544
>until the fire nation attacked

return to reddit
>>
>>63564075
What a waste of a life
>>
>>63564093
Empire vs Imperium of Man
>>
>>63563948

>Enterprise's Photon Torpedoes (64 megatons per projectile)
>Star Destroyer's Heavy Guns (200 GIGATONS per shot)

This isn't even a competition, I'm not sure why people bring it up.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html
>>
>>63577316
I wanted to write a somewhat longish post about how 40k can't even be compared to Star Wars, but I'll just say this

40k has a black hole cannon
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Nova_Cannon
>>
Do Imperial Star Destroyers have midichlorians?
>>
>>63577743
40K has black holes in boxes for fuck sake.
>>
>>63564902
>never seen deflector shield
the entire endor part of rotj is about taking out a shield generator
>>
>>63577873
The TARDIS is powered by a black hole AND supernova combined. The Doctor wins handsdown!
>>
The TARDIS is the most powerful ship.
>>
>>63573747
hubble would btfo any of these shit cruisers
>>
Picard and the Enterprise could do shit 10 times better than an imperial ship and its General
>>
The Empire is morally superior to Starfleet because the Empire doesn't disintegrate its personnel and replace them with clones every time they want to move people from ship to planetside.
>>
File: magic.jpg (79 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
magic.jpg
79 KB, 720x479
>Star Warsfags
>>
>>63566875

if the bridge is destroyed, they have no other means to control the ship. the gravity of DS2 pulls it in.

>>63569313
The death star was still being built. They used endor as a protecting and had the shield there until it was finished. The deathstar didn't move. the rebels came to it. it was barely operational when rebels attacked
>>
One protodeviln from macross would win f.am
>>
>>63566577
Except they never try this against the Federation. Hell they never go beyond "send single Cube," the time travel in First Contact was some crazy backup plan. That the Borg have conquered as much of the Delta Quadrant as they have is just because the rest of the races there are that dumb. What happened when the Borg met a civilization (S8472) with basically the same advantages the Empire would have? They lost hard until technobabble saved the day and it wasn't even there own, it was Starfleet technobabble.
>>
>>63568988

>200 Gigatons converts to 200,000 megatons.
>To give you a comparison, if we detonated the estimated global cache of 30,000 nuclear weapons, enough to turn the earth into a smoking rock three times over, it would release 7,000 megatons of force.
>The second they fire the gun they are engulfed in a planet killing explosion that kills everyone.

Star destroyers have comparable armament and we have seen them orbitally bombard planets. To do the kind of damage that comes close to this, they have to bombard a planet for hours, and this comes in the form of a fleet. So this is why Star Trak fans get so annoyed when the numbers get brought up be people who are all 'ITZ STAR WARS CANON, SOME DUDE WROTE IT DOWN ONCE SO THAT'S WHAT IT IS LOL'. In order for Star wars to happen, these numbers have to be way off. If we follow these numbers, a star destroyer only needs one shot fired from far away that would probably destroy their own ship when they fired it. Cuz A-Wings can crack their hull.

By contrast, a Star Trek Photon torpedo does 64 megatons. The Tsar Bomba, the world's most powerful nuclear weapon ever detonated, had a yield of 50 megatons. So more powerful and can be fired and detonated with accuracy during space flight, but not crazy in the context of future technology.
>>
>>63569302
Considering isotons are not a real unit of measurement where exactly are you getting this conversion factor?
>>
>>63578769
They are up to quantum torpedoes now, which are several times more powerful. Still "unimpressive".

>>63578770
Some googlin'.
>>
File: Tieinter2.jpg (149 KB, 1020x735) Image search: [Google]
Tieinter2.jpg
149 KB, 1020x735
>>63575250

Yes, and made by the same dude even
>>
File: eNtlu1r.jpg (13 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
eNtlu1r.jpg
13 KB, 320x320
>>63577446
>>Star Destroyer's Heavy Guns (200 GIGATONS per shot)

That like Chicxalub asteroid levels.
>>
>>63569593
>Voyager
>Sloan
Feds beaming through their own shields, a technique that O'Brien developed in TNG, come back when that is used offensively to beam through an enemy's shield

>The Borg
>The Dominion
Offensive uses, now we're talking. However, these all boil down to used some cute tech trick that was circumvented later (either in the same episode or a few episodes later) and used by groups that are acknowledged as having superior tech to the Federation (you know, like the Empire).

>Aldeans
A group with superior tech to the Federation (again, seeing the pattern yet?) that was able to beam through shields.

You also forgot the Voth, another race more advanced than the Federation that could beam through shields.

The only examples we have of beaming through shields from the Federation is beaming through their own shields, not someone else's. Heck, the DS9 crew couldn't even fathom how Sloan did it to them.
>>
>>63578769
If we're going with Legends, they acknowledge this with talk about ships needing sufficient bracing to handle the firing of their big guns as without it the ships would crack in half each time they fire, so you know, they'd only fire once.
>>
>>63565978
What about the Doomsday Machine? It entered our galaxy with all its facilities and destructive capabilities intact.
>>
File: image.jpg (320 KB, 725x725) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
320 KB, 725x725
When idiots argue about Star Trek and Star Wars
>>
>>63574886
Star Wars was strategic in the OT, especially in Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. In the prequels it's a retarded free for all.
>>
>>63578219
>no other means to control the ship.

Sucks to be them.
>>
>>63580760
Very different classes of ship. The Executor is giant and it's control tower is the size of a skyscraper, it takes time to switch over the kind of control that things needs to a secondary bridge and unfortunately the ship was too close to the DS2 gravity well to give them the time they needed.

I would also state that the saucer separation and battle bridge are always done pre-battle, we've never seen them do that after a catastrophic loss of the main bridge during a battle.
>>
File: 1381463283997.gif (790 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1381463283997.gif
790 KB, 2000x2000
>>63581132
Why was it even that big? Why where the Star destroyer in general so fucking big. What do you put in them to justify having a ship being 10km long. Life as Stormtrooper on the Executer or Death Star must have been boring as fuck. Nothing ever will happen.
>>
>>63563948

It would burn out it's phaser coils and run out of photon torpedoes before it could even carve a sliver out of the Imperial Fleet.
>>
>>63563948
both stole ideas from asimov Fundation without giving him a single kudo at the credits
>>
File: P8AyX25.jpg (703 KB, 2240x1320) Image search: [Google]
P8AyX25.jpg
703 KB, 2240x1320
>>63581211
>Executor
>big

Do you even EU, faggot?
>>
>>63581211
Because they were multi-role superiority capital ships designed to control a solar system with limited assistance. An SSD was an even larger ship since it was designed to be able to combat entire fleets of ISD caliber opponents. It was also part of the whole "Tarkin Doctrine" thing, a single ship that rips apart your fleet strikes fear into the enemy (or just the general populace), making it easier to keep them in line, the same reasoning as why the Death Stars were built.
>>
But do the Star Destroyers shields prevent Star Trek teleportation?
>>
>>63581935
Star Trek tech is vastly inferior to Star Wars tech. The energy a Star Destroyer produces is more than a star in its entire lifetime.
>>
>>63582024
>Star Destroyer
Well, the name fits
>>
>>63566390
Starfleet vessels have shields that allow them to fly INTO starls and then blow them up if they wanted to.

Beverly crusher used the stars energy as a weapon to destroy ships without harming the Enterprise or the star.

Starfleet also has cloaks that allow ships to pass THROUGH matter that they don't use because of treaty concerns.
>>
>>63581469
that is not real, done as a parody and satire by the fans which was posted to SD.net
>>
star wars tech is like superman powers. just make up whatever you need. its fantasy.
>>
>>63567355
>Dominion had those fuck huge cruisers.

The Dominion rules by fear, much like the Gouald.

The Federation's mantra is "let's be friends!"
>>
>>63569517
Beaming people up is a lor harder than being up NON LIVING THINGS!

Just beam a small canister of antimatter into a
Death Star's bridge and warp away.
>>
>>63581935
I'd say yes. Star Trek transporters could get disrupted by a guy sneezing funny if the plot depended on it.
>>
>>63578147
>The Empire is morally superior to Starfleet because the Empire doesn't disintegrate its personnel and replace them with clones every time they want to move people from ship to planetside.

That's NOT how transporters work.
>>
>>63583208
Actually that's how they do work, and there is debate today where if such quantum based teleporters would be making a clone or if that would be the original person.

https://youtu.be/CBrsWPCp_rs?t=40m24s
>>
File: 47218.jpg (61 KB, 500x524) Image search: [Google]
47218.jpg
61 KB, 500x524
>>63563948
>A starfleet ship could win a battle against the Empire
>Therefore Star Wars sucks
>>
>>63583147
Which is why they do it all the time in battle, oh wait, they don't. The only time we've seen a Federation ship do something like that was in Voyager when the blew up a Borg probe ship, and we all know that Borg ships don't stop people from beaming over. Do you people actually watch the show?
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 620x620
>>63581211
No V'Ger? Star Trek really went overboard with that shit
Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.