[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Film equipment thread? I'm currently trying to get a Panasonic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
Film equipment thread?

I'm currently trying to get a Panasonic AG-DVX200. I have a canon T5i that i like a lot, but I'm at the point where I need a camcorder.
>>
>>63530162
>but I'm at the point where I need a camcorder.

Why?
>>
I just use my iPhone 6. Hoping my parents get me an S for Christmas.
>>
>>63530162
>posting redditpleb equipment
Just use an iPhone with filmic pro
>>
>>63530162
>I have something with interchangeable lenses but I'm at the point where I need something that doesn't

I didn't know such a point existed
>>
>>63530162
What i really need is something that preforms well in low light conditions. The APS sensors on canons get very grainy with low light.
>>
>>63530239
A7s.
>>
>>63530162
Don't buy gear.
Rent a FS7 or a c300
>>
>>63530162
/p/
>>
>>63530249
thats what i've been told recently. Is it true that camcorders are virtually impossible to repair?
>>
I'm going to buy a Blackmagic Cinema Camera. By far the best image for the price; the footage looks identical to an Arri or a Red.
>>
>>63530403
Good pick !!! Have you given a thought on Cannon or Sony ?
>>
>>63530403
Enjoy paying for the SSDs and not being able to see the screen outdoors
>>
File: Snapchat-20140929094057.jpg (398 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-20140929094057.jpg
398 KB, 1080x1920
>not owning an arri or red kit
>filiming on any body that costs less than 30k
>not having a 60k collection of primes and filters
>not having a fluid head tripod, zakuto rig or external monoter with hiatogram and false color reading modes

Go the fuck home with your camcorder babbyshit wannabe
>>
>>63530162
>T5i that i like a lot, but I'm at the point where I need a camcorder.

You probably don't, even though may think you do. The more expensive video cameras are so priced because of the added features that amateurs have no use for, like timecode, waveform, scopes, hdsdi, and so on. Unless you work in some video field, you really have no "need" for a more expensive camera. .

>>63531333
There are a lot of retarded posts ITT, but this one pretty much takes the cake. The SSDs the BMCC takes are nowhere near as expensive as proprietary formats like RED MAG and P2. I'm guessing you've never been near any professional grade camera, or used one for that matter, or you wouldn't be spouting such garbage.
>>
>>63531412
Art can only be made by rich people like me.
>>
>>63530403
Good choice m80. It's a bit out of my price range so I'm going to go with the Pocket, very similar image and half the price but only 1080p.

>>63531412
Post one piece of legitimately good film you have made.
>>
>>63532003
The Pocket is a nightmare to work with though. If you don't mind going through post-production hell then by all means get a Black Magic camera.
>>
>>63532047
I'm fine with carrying around ten spare batteries and capture cards and spend longer tweaking in post if it means I can get a pro-grade self-shooter kit for under £1000. I've edited and graded from a BM4K before and don't really have any issues.
>>
File: 1435568877584.jpg (20 KB, 406x395) Image search: [Google]
1435568877584.jpg
20 KB, 406x395
>>63530403
>Cinema Camera. By far the best image for the price

This isn't 2012.

>the footage looks identical to an Arri or a Red.

Let me guess, you've never actually used a BMCC, RED or an ARRI, right? I mean how could you, you're probably some manchild that still lives with his parents.
>>
>>63530249
Unless you are an already established cinematographer, renting is the worst thing you can do. Renting works well when you're actually working and have a production schedule to meet and a set of days that are pretty much fixed in stone. For learning how to shoot renting is a completely fucking stupid idea and I cringe whenever some internet faggot advises someone to rent gear.

Renting will save a production money when the ones shooting already know how things work, and of course have the production to pay for the renting costs. It's better to rent out the latest and best camera than it is to buy it. For someone starting out renting is just a huge waste of money that has no benefits.
>>
>>63532190
This kind of elitism is so fucking common among the lower rungs of filmmakers.

Cine and Pocket are favourites of many hollywood DPs because they produce such great flat images which are easy to match up to Arri given a good colourist. They've been used in James Bond, Avengers and Mad Max. They also cost pennies so why the fuck not buy them and learn how to make great films instead of spending ten to fifteen times as much renting a Red for six hours and then posting about your super knowledge on the internet where nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>63530239
Invest in a light meter or lights. Or if you need a camera then look into some Nikons. They do pretty well in low light and are pretty decent with pushing the sensor without it looking too grainy.
>>
Does the Black Magic pocket camera shoot in RAW or semi-RAW?
>>
>>63532374
Aww, baby feel better after all that word vomit?

You're the one who claimed the BMCC produces images that look identical to ARRI and RED which is simply not true. Stop making shit up, or learn to accept it when you get called out for your bullshit.
>>
Whats the point in lighting when RAW basically makes peaking and blown out footage non existent? It seems that if you were to shoot in RAW that lighting is meaningless (unless trying to get a certain effect) since whatever mistakes you made shooting can be fixed in post production anyways.
>>
>>63532458
RAW. Though it'll only work with Sandisk EP cards and will drain the battery like shit. Don't use it unless you've got a colourist who really knows what they're doing.

>>63532495
>You're the one who claimed the BMCC produces images that look identical to ARRI and RED which is simply not true.
I wasn't the one who said that, I was just calling you out on being a cunt.
>>
All of you need to invest in light meters.
>>
>>63532432
Light meters? Where do you fucking retards come from?

Light meters are only used when shooting on film and they do nothing to improve light conditions, they allow you to determine the right exposure levels. If you want a camera that performs well in low light right now you can't beat the Sony A7s/A7sII.

Nikons? You could have at least told the guy that full frame cameras have better low light performance because of the larger sensors. Do ANY of you faggots know anything?
>>
>>63532524
>whatever mistakes you made shooting can be fixed in post production anyways
Dude, never let anyone on-set hear you say shit like that. Lighting has a million and one uses beyond just making sure you can actually see everything. The fix-it-in-post mentality will never get you good results and will often piss off your editor(s). And if there's something which legitimately cannot be fixed in post, you'll need to reshoot and be made a laughing stock.
>>
>>63532524
Are you fucking stupid? RAW makes peaking and blown out footage non existant? What the fuck am I even reading?

Do you even know what RAW footage is?

Why is everyone such a fucking clueless faggot here? Shooting RAW allows you to capture the highest amount of color depth possible. If you have blown highlights in your footage, there is no way to save that in post.
>>
>>63532570
>Do ANY of you faggots know anything?
No. Next question.
>>
>kind of interested in amateur filmmaking
>mfw this thread
WHAT THE FUCK, DO I NEED TO TAKE A LOAN OUT TO AFFORD A SHORT FILM?
>>
>>63532570
Okay you are underselling what a light meter can do. Even with digital, they are handy to have. If you were shooting RAW then yeah a light meter is pointless and yeah I meant to tell him full frame sensor. I figured he'd make that assumption

>>63532608
I am aware of that. I was making a point.

>>63532623
I know you can still get blown out footage if you were retarded enough to not understand exposures. I am stating that RAW has a wide dynamic range and color depth makes it almost impossible to get blown out footage
>>
>>63532678
No. Just use what you have and work your way up.
>>
>>63532570
Dude are you fucking retarded? Light meters are great especially if youre a cinematographer and know your shit but you probably don't know shit about them.
>>
>>63532623
>Why is everyone such a fucking clueless faggot here?
Because this is /tv/ and people wander in an act like they know what they are talking about.
>>63532678
No. Buy a used t2i and start shooting. When you have some money buy a higher end sony mirrorless, and when you are professional get/rent an actual camera. Gear won't make you good, shooting will.
>>
>>63532678
It's all about resourcefulness. Don't go balls deep and start spending money when you've got no experience. Give a helping hand on other projects and learn as much as possible about how indie film works first. If you're not put off after that, then you can think about investing a small amount in a personal kit, and get favours from others to make up the rest (lighting, sound etc.). Realistically, you're never going to make a film worth watching with your phone or your dad's DSLR, but don't be put off by gear-snobbery. Creativity isn't about coming up with what you think is a cool idea, it's about understanding that there is far more to indie filmmaking than you can ever hope to understand, and making the most of the resources at your disposal.
>>
Are there any affordable cameras that shoot RAW?
>>
>>63532806
BMPCC.
>>
>>63532823
How's battery life?
>>
>>63532890
Classic Blackmagic "Better have a external battery mount" meme tier
>>
>>63532890
Basically this >>63532924. I don't mind taking a bagful of extra batteries, but I accept that lots of people do and it might be a deal breaker.
>>
You all are idiots
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.