[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the significance of him watching Lawrence of Arabia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: Fassbendroid.png (803 KB, 963x921) Image search: [Google]
Fassbendroid.png
803 KB, 963x921
What was the significance of him watching Lawrence of Arabia at the beginning of the movie?
>>
>>63529694
He is Peter o toolay
>>
>>63529694
"There is nothing in the desert, and no man needs nothing."

Fits perfectly with the hollow, retarded nature of this utterly shit insult to science-fiction and the Alien franchise.
>>
Because Reddit told him to watch it.
>>
>>63529717
>insult to [...] Alien franchise

Alien movies were always shitty popcorn flicks, who cares? The first half of Prometheus was better than anything else that happened in this dumb franchise.
>>
>>63529694
I always think I have a shitty hairline, but it's better than this guys
>>
>>63529771
>flicks
They are motion pictures, anon. Don't give them the satisfaction of being ranked up to 'flick'
>>
>>63529694
None, he just liked the movie.
>>
>>63529771
Nice bait.
>>
>>63529771
Literally this. Only redditors think otherwise.
>>
>>63529694
I hope he returns in the sequel.
>>
Because it's a good movie.
>>
File: TheFuck.jpg (5 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
TheFuck.jpg
5 KB, 251x251
>>63530493
Wow /tv/ has truly gone to shit.

Alien was a masterpiece, and Aliens wasn't too far behind and is still held in the highest regard as one of the best sci-fi action/horror films ever made.

Sorry you were all born in 1997 and saw AvP as your first introduction to the franchise, but please just shut the fuck up.
>>
>>63529694
Because O Toole ghostposting
>>
>>63530623
stfu with all your nostalgic "masterpieces" because your boogery nosed reddit smug fucked face recall it as one of the best movies in your shit lived life. REDDIT REDDIT TIER written all over that pos. FUCK OFF back 2 reddit
>>
>>63529694

because he will probably be cast as lawrence in the inevitable remake of LoA

you know it's going to happen...you know it.
>>
>>63530667
not him but you are a legit fucking retard, you should drink bleach
>>
>>63529694
The significance was showing that he enjoys something.
>>
So whoever saw Prometheus can't say there wasn't a good movie in there.
>>
I literally just rewatched this and I rememeber it being complete shit.
It's not that bad after all, certainly looks extremely good. The first half is actually very interesting, great atmosphere but it goes downhill later on.

Some of the shots are incredibly beautiful though. For example, the scene where David leaves the room after he spoke with Peter Weyland for the first time while he was sleeping, and Meredith was standing there in the corridor. Great fucking shot and scene, I also have a massive fetish for bodysuits so that made it even better.
>>
>>63530931
redditor exposed
>>
>>63529694
Just a lazy vampiric reference that didn't go as planned
>>
>>63531106

i thought he was studying
>>
>>63529694
why does his head look so huge
>>
File: 1410160987750.jpg (9 KB, 247x249) Image search: [Google]
1410160987750.jpg
9 KB, 247x249
>>63530623
>falling for garbage bait
>>
>>63529694
he's watching a scene about purposefully burning your hand ("the trick is not minding that it hurts") and derives from it a test for his human masters (think of the gom jabbar in dune). under the guise of serving the crew, he will administer the test to see who can transcend their base desires. only shaw will pass.
>>
File: 1439675694230.jpg (11 KB, 356x275) Image search: [Google]
1439675694230.jpg
11 KB, 356x275
what's so bad about prometheus? i think the plot, setting and visuals were great. some of the writing is pretty stupid but that doesn't ruin the movie. i don't get where all the hate comes from
>>
>>63532686
It didn't live up to the hype.

With a different director and different IP, it would have been judged less harshly.
>>
>>63531106
Simple answer but I agree. The idea of an android wanting to watch a movie is interesting. Does David have something resembling personal taste or is it just built into him to make him feel more alive? Is it possible that a machine can appreciate Laurence of Araba?
>>
>>63532686
It's alright but it has a reddit feel to it famm
>>
>>63532686
because people expected two hours' worth of Alien and Predator Cinematic Universe lorebuilding and instead that old bastard ridley scott went and made an actual movie.

it did not help that the actual movie requires a bit of attention (you have to figure out who the actual protagonist is etc) and contains elements which are notoriously challenging for people on the autism spectrum, like having to notice when characters are being dishonest. for example, when somebody introduces themselves as a capable scientist but is later shown to be a shit scientist, the reasonable person goes "oh i guess he lied" but the autist screams "PLOT HOLE". since pretty much every character in prometheus is not who they say they are, the autist is driven to a frenzy and goes on to produce a "top 50 plot holes in prometheus" youtube video which upon examination turns out to contain 0 actual plot holes.
>>
>>63529717
>>63530019
>>63531950
>>63531106
>>63532267
Because he seems himself as Lawrence.
Like Lawrence he sees himself as someone who doesnt really belong among the people he is with yet at the same time is in a position to influence and greatly change the world they live in.
Also, like Lawrence he has to struggle with being accepted and so he probably enjoys the idea of himself as a important, misunderstood figure.
>>
>>63533507
>you have to figure out who the actual protagonist is
What is this, Big Trouble in Little China? How could it be anybody other than the main scientist woman? 90% of the movie revolves directly around her and her work.

And as a low-level autist your characterization of my people offends me. I like when movies make believable stretches in thinking and my favourite writer is Gene Wolfe. The "PLOT HOLE" faggots are the imdb crowd who learned criticism from youtube countdown lists.
>>
>>63533507
fuck you
>>
>>63533645
>How could it be anybody other than the main scientist woman?

see, you didn't get the movie! screentime is not the sole indicator of protagonist status. the protagonist is obviously david the android. the story is told from his perspective and infused with his disdain for the entire crew.

david is living a simple, contemplative life on the ship before those idiot fucking monkeys start waking up from cryo and making a mess, and he's supposed to serve them! they are morons with no self-awareness and we are invited to share in david's amusement at their ironic comeuppances.

you think shaw is the protagonist but david walks up to her and says, basically "you are a boring, flat character. i saw your dreams in the cryo machine and you are a walking cliche.". again, our perspective is that of david, looking ironically at the bumbling crew. shaw is the only character to learn anything from the ordeal and so by the end of the movie david allows her co-protagonist status and a measure of respect because she now gets that "the trick is not minding that it hurts".

so the story isn't "scientists discover THE TRUTH", the movie/david laughs at that ambition. the story is "a man is stuck living among smelly monkeys but eventually befriends one"
>>
one thing that struck me as odd is when he says lines as they are said in the movie showing he's watched the movie before. like why would a robot rewatch a movie? isn't that pretty peculiar?
>>
>>63534120
The protagonist was clearly Shaw, kid.
>>
>>63530623
They are shitposting.
I hope
>>
>>63534220
Aliens>>>>Predator>Alien>Prometheus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Predator 2>>>>>>>>>>>Alien 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alien 4>>>AVP
>>
>>63534147
Because no one in the movie understands that David is sentient.

They just think he's a dumb robot.
>>
>>63534147
wow your just as docile as the crew on the ship.
>>
>>63534261
You missed Predators and AVPR
>>
File: rapace.gif (3 MB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
rapace.gif
3 MB, 500x323
>>63534171

And what a protagonist she was.
>>
>>63534261
alien>alien3 (horror)
aliens>alien4 (action)
predator>predator 2>predators

>avp
there aren't worth mentioning
>>
I don't know who's trolling who, but whoever brings up "back to reddit" is usually the most retarded. Only edgy teenagers use that line. It's a group of niggers saying "go back to your upper class neighborhood". It's an attempted insult that just shows jealousy.
>>
>>63534369
AAAAAAHNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
>>
File: 234234234223.jpg (70 KB, 640x638) Image search: [Google]
234234234223.jpg
70 KB, 640x638
>>63534369
she could kick my ass so bad

i like it
>>
>>63534261
Alien>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prometheus>>predator>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aliens>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alien resurection>>>Predator 2>Alien 3>AVP
>>
>>63534356
Too shit to mention.
>>
>>63534385
found the redditor
>>
>>63534434
Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad I could stand out as an exemplary poster.
>>
>>
>>63534356
>>63534381
Predators isn't Canon? I think.
>>
The making of documentary is fucking horrible

>Ridley's script notes
>"make this more mysterious"
>"remove this exposition"
>>
>>63534171
there is a lengthy sequence that clearly establishes david as the pov character. they stop just shy of captioning it THE WORLD ACCORDING TO DAVID. you're going to struggle to enjoy movies if you can't even identify the main character.
>>
>>63534532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q1hMFeqoBY

>those fucking looks she's giving him
>>
>>63532267
Good post about a bad movie.

I always still learn something in this board filled with worthless posts
>>
>>63534595
>literally staring at the floor the whole time

hi virgin
>>
>>63531932
Yeah you.

Fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>63533468
You have a reddit feel so fuck off back to where you came from m80
>>
the more time passes the more I want to rewatch it
not sure if it's worth it though
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.