[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So do you think the Thing died after the explosion, is Childs,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: the-thing-original.jpg (528 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
the-thing-original.jpg
528 KB, 1000x1500
So do you think the Thing died after the explosion, is Childs, or is Mac? I always thought it was Mac b/c Nauls caught him early on, then he changed everyones perception by the crazy blow everybody up stunt, then went out of his way to kill every Thing creature up to the end. Then at the end he says how it wants to freeze itself again and wait for a rescue team, then it's just him and Childs waiting to freeze to death.

What does everyone else think?
>>
>>63511184
It survived as well as Mac. There's a continuation in the PC game The Thing. You start out at the other base.
>>
Not sure, alot of people say the Childs thing where he's drinking gasoline not alcohol or doesn't have frost breath, but I think that's bullshit opened to interpretation. So not sure.
>>
>>63511325
Shit, are they actually using that as canon like the ghostbusters game where Ramis said "this is ghostbusters 3" or non-canon?
>>
>>63511395
All EU is canon, anon.
>>
>>63511395
>In 2002, The Thing was released as a survival horror third-person shooter for PC, PlayStation 2, and Xbox, acting as a sequel to the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_%281982_film%29#Video_games

The story follows on where the film left off: Childs is found dead and frozen where he was last seen at the end of the film, but at the end of the game it is revealed that R.J. MacReady survived as he evacuates the game's main character in a helicopter.
>>
File: for all childs defenders.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
for all childs defenders.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>63511184
I don't understand how it's even a question.
They show it in the movie.

Pan down to the basement implies something came from there/went there, open door means Childs is gone. Childs didn't have any reason to leave the camp. Mac even says to torch Blair if he seems him without them.
+ the theme makes it obvious

I made this shitty webm just for you fags
>>
>>63511562
It wasn't Childs though, he never had it. The ending shows Childs and Mac together and the tension is meant to be there to emphasis how pervasive the legit paranoia is. Neither was infect, but both had to stay on guard anyway.
>>
File: 1448860554353.png (360 KB, 613x459) Image search: [Google]
1448860554353.png
360 KB, 613x459
>>63511562
Thanks, I'm not defending Childs or telling people my theory is right, this is just what I took from it, and also it wasn't till recently that I had to read the storyboard for Naul's death scene, whether or not that factors into the survivors.
>>
Neither of them had it, but from wikipedia:

>In some televised versions, an extended ending shows the burned out camp in the morning with a sled dog overlooking the camp from a nearby hill.
>>
>>63511562
HAHA
>THE THEME IS PLAYING
>>
File: tv discussing the thing.png (1 MB, 572x981) Image search: [Google]
tv discussing the thing.png
1 MB, 572x981
>>63511715
>It wasn't Childs though
Childs literally never trusted Mac when shit went down and then he goes and takes a sip from the bottle? Also that chess metaphor
>>
>>63511808
>tfw no sound on /tv/ in webms

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1448166575417.webm
>>
>>63511882
The sequel (game) has Childs dead at the beginning from exposure. He wasn't infected.

It really was just for the viewer.
>>
>>63511955
and that one sequel comic book has childs being like the absolute first infected ever
it doesn't matter
the movie is a self-contained thing pardon the pun
>>
>>63512093
That's what I meant in the start of the thread, not the EU, but just the film.
>>
>>63512122
oh shit, i'm dumb
i'm gonna rewatch it again
>>
>>63512093
It actually doesn't, it isn't backed as proper canon. The game is the actual canon sequel.

>>63512122
Same thing. The game sequel has the only correct version which is the version you see in the movie. Ergo, that is the correct version. Neither were infected. As far as who dies after the credits, it is assumed both die, if you discount the game.
>>
>>63511325
>It survived as well as Mac. There's a continuation in the PC game The Thing. You start out at the other base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpJXSR9_Sk
>>
File: aint_no_thang!.jpg (48 KB, 1440x584) Image search: [Google]
aint_no_thang!.jpg
48 KB, 1440x584
>Sheeit
*smacks lips*
>ain't no thang!
>>
>>63511184

Childs is a thing. His actions are just too weird to be explained normally.

>shot of the halls, showing how close the basement generator room and Childs position
>Childs is seen going out
>power immediately cuts

To cut the power you'd need to be in the generator room. This was the opposite of where Childs was running to. So what happened:

>Blair thing came into the base long ago and hid in the generator room
>takes out Childs
>tells Childs-thing to go out into the snow and freeze
>Blaire-thing says he'll take out the power, and then kill the humans off
>>
>>63512284
lol Oh ow what a whiny manchild. I played the game all the way through and beat it, it wasn't a shooter. You barely have enough ammo for anything. The rest of his vid worthless as he obviously didn't really "play" the game (even though he did, wtf). I've no clue what version he was playing but the PC version I had was 100% different. It may be because I was playing on the hardest difficulty and had it fully updated?
>>
>>63512253
>>63512093
Even in the comic though Child's isn't a thing. I can't remember it all but it think it goes: random soldier, General, sub attack, end.
>>
It's kind of glossed over in the film, but humans have found a god damn Alien UFO. Thus there is no chance of ever making a sequel without making it too sci-fi. Human society would dramatically change forever. It'd turn into X-files.
>>
It was left open-ended for a good reason.

The best ending to me is that neither of them are The Thing, but that their paranoia had consumed them to the point where it didn't matter anymore, so they were just destined to die in the snow. Them staring at each other suspiciously until they freeze to death drives home the point of fear, rather than emphasizing the monster itself.
>>
>>63511955

Fuck off with your vidya shit.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.