[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror Films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 16
File: the thing.jpg (231 KB, 1720x812) Image search: [Google]
the thing.jpg
231 KB, 1720x812
What are your three favorite horror films? Nightmare mode: No "The Thing" or "Alien"
Three best psychological thrillers?
Three most campy?
Holiday horrors?
>>
Eraserhead
Sauna
The Fly (since I can't say the Thing)
>>
>>63467621
Hellraiser. Genuinely scared the shit out of me as a child, still creeps me out as a grown man.
>>
>>63467621
I'm not really into horror but I don't like horror movies that rely on gore or jump scares.
My favourites are The Shining and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
I'm sure there are others but I can't think.
>>
File: 3.png (430 KB, 825x408) Image search: [Google]
3.png
430 KB, 825x408
>>63467621
>Nightmare mode: No "The Thing" or "Alien"
No

>Three best psychological thrillers?
I'd have to think on the other two but Jacob's Ladder is GOAT.
>>
The Thi.. aw fuck..
Let the right one in
The Blob (80's version)
Dark Water (j-horror version)
>>
>>63467621
It
It Follows
The Mothman Prophecies
>>
>>63467964
We could be friends.
I really, really liked It Follows, except for that dumb ending.
>bullets can't kill it!
>.....except for this one time right here
>>
>>63467621
>muh smart horrors
should have blacklisted more op.
>>
>>63467964
>It follows the mothman prophecies
>>
>>63467907
Nightmare mode is just an option anon, since a large majority of people will name those two.

I just watched Jacob's Ladder last night and have to say, while I liked the demons and paranoia aspects, I had this gut feeling that I knew what the conclusion of the movie was. I hated that I was right.

>>63467964
>tfw Tim Curry will never scare you again

>>63467956
The Blob was great. A bit silly, but great nonetheless.
>>
Videodrome
Texas chainsaw massacre (original)
Reanimator
>>
We can't list the only good ones
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-08+at+11.38.55).jpg (109 KB, 729x376) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-08+at+11.38.55).jpg
109 KB, 729x376
>>63467621
>no The Thing
>no Alien

You play a tough game, OP.
>>
>>63468041
>it puts the lotion on its skin
>>
The Thing is so overrated on here its ridiculous.

TCM
The Shining
Suspiria
>>
>>63467621
I think It is the scariest flick I've ever seen, and believe me, I went to movies.
>>
>>63467621
Nosferatu (1922), The Exorcist, The Fly (1986)

The Thing is garbage.
>>
>>63468183
>The Thing is garbage
>Lists The Exorcist
pea soup anon
>>
1. 28 Days Later
fuck you
2. The Thing
3. Alien
>>
File: 1365737288485.gif (35 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1365737288485.gif
35 KB, 300x300
>>63468046
>mfw I found out Tim Curry voices Nigel Thornberry
>>
>>63468183
Nosferatu? Jesus Christ, if that's not the most boring vampire movie ever!
>>
Halloween
Dolls
The Exorcist
>>
File: 1441240080038.gif (435 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
1441240080038.gif
435 KB, 500x213
>>63468046
>Nightmare mode is just an option anon, since a large majority of people will name those two.
If I am going to play on Nightmare mode then switch Alien with Jacob's Ladder. Other contenders would be The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (original) and The Amityville Horror (original).

>I just watched Jacob's Ladder last night and have to say, while I liked the demons and paranoia aspects, I had this gut feeling that I knew what the conclusion of the movie was. I hated that I was right.
That's because it was such a great idea that has now been done to death by more famous (and lesser quality) movies and shows that I won't name. You know it's kind of like fucking toy town in The Twilight Zone. We've seen that trope so many times now that it doesn't surprise you when you watch the original source material, which is a shame. Still, it's hard to deny that Jacob Singer's predicament isn't a deeply disturbing one. His situation bothers me more than pretty much any other horror movie.

>>63468048
>>63468077
>>63468085
great choices

>>63468086
>The Thing is so overrated on here its ridiculous.
The Thing is not overrated at all. It's just that other great horror movies often don't get their due on here BECAUSE everyone's too busy talking about The Thing all the time. That's the way I see it anyway.

>TCM
>The Shining
>Suspiria
More great choices. It was only a few weeks ago that I saw Suspiria for the first time. Extremely creepy, I regret putting it off for so long.
>>
>>63468333
Watch more Argento, anon! You'll see that Suspiria is just one of many good ones!
Also check out Mario Bava!
>>
>>63468386
Mario Bava is fucking awesome. Dario Argento, though, I haven't seen any of his other movies yet but I've been meaning to watch Profondo Rosso.
>>
>>63468447
Profondo Rosso is good, but watch also The bird with the crystal plumage
>>
TCM
Carnival of Souls
Suspiria
>>
3 favorite horror films: The Thing cause Fuck You.
But to say 3 others:
The Fly, The Beyond, The Howling
>>
>>63468493
will do
>>
>>63468493
profondo rosso is best argento
>>
>>63467964
I downloaded a Bluray rip of The Mothman Prophecies to compare it to the HDTV rip I had previously downloaded. I do think it looks a bit worse, the image is cleaner but it is brighter and washed out than the HDTV rip. It's not too terrible but I'm glad I didn't delete the HDTV rip before comparing them.

The good thing about it though was it came with the Director's commentary track which was a pretty nice listen. The best part about it was an anon had mentioned how great the sound design in the film was and one of the first things Pellington says in the commentary is that he hired the sound designer Claude Letissier before anyone else because he knew that was going to be one of the most important aspects of the movie.

Anyway, even watching the movie with the commentary track on I was still entirely spooked by certain parts. I'm a complete pleb when it comes to horror but I love this movie to death.
>>
>>63468636
I was very surprised by how good The Beyond was.
>that scene in the dark
>>
The Resurrected
From Beyond
Re-Animator
Evil Dead (for scare)
Evil Dead 2 (for camp)
Dagon
In the Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness
Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 3
Friday the 13th 4 and 6

take ur pick
>>
>>63469948
How do you feel about New Nightmare?
>>
>>63470009
>New Nightmare
never seen it actually, it any good?
>>
>>63470222
I think so. If you haven't seen it you should probably watch it. Craven managed to put a new weird spin on a franchise that seemed so out of gas for years. I only ask because I've noticed with other ANoES fans that the favorites are almost always 1, 3, and NN.
>>
>In general

An American Werewolf in London, Pet Sematary, The Lost Boys

>Psychological

Lets Scare Jessica to Death, Don't Look Now, The Tenant

>Campy

Night of the Demons, Dolls, Waxwork

>Holiday

Silent Night Deadly Night, My Bloody Valentine, Halloween
>>
>tfw never bothered to watch cabin fever 2 until today and it turned out to be solid
>>
>>63467621
>Holiday horrors?
Aside from Black Christmas it's hard to think of many legitimately good horror movies for the Christmas season. Christmas just doesn't make for much good horror, unless you essentially mean winter in general, in which case I can just give you any horror movie where it's cold and snowing.

As for Christmas, Silent Night, Deadly Night and Jack Frost is pretty much what you're gonna get. You could just add those to your list of campy movies.
>>
>>63471339
Yeah, man. Except it wasn't good at all. I'd like to see the director's cut. Might change my mind. Knowing Ti West I don't see him being responsible for the majority of the shit in that movie.
>>
>>63471568
It was fine. The tone was completely changed from the first but it worked ok with all the references and retro vibe. I was expecting Wrong Turn 5 or Hostel 3 levels of shit but did not get it. Is there a directors cut?
>>
Pumpkinhead and Wishmaster

call me pleb i dare you
>>
>>63471623

No. Ti West wanted his name taken off of the movie because the studios changed it so much. If you watch any of his other movies it's obviously out of place.
>>
>>63467621
Possession.
>>
>>63467621
>Holiday horrors?
Does Nightmare Before Christmas count?
>>
>>63471710
I didn't watch it to compare it to other Ti West movies, I watched it because I'd been putting it off for years. If it didn't turn out the way Ti West wanted it too then that sucks for Ti West, but as it stands I got a watchable movie and that is much more than I was expecting. If I'd gone in expecting Innkeepers level quality then maybe things would be different.
>>
>>63471774
sure
>>
>>63471825
No one said you watched it to compare to Ti West's other movies, you fucking mongoloid.
>>
File: The Beyond 5.jpg (37 KB, 835x363) Image search: [Google]
The Beyond 5.jpg
37 KB, 835x363
>>63471710
hmm maybe i'll watch it then because ti west's movies fucking suck
>>
>>63471825
>>63471881
>samefag
>>
>>63471851

>If you watch any of his other movies it's obviously out of place.

You sure about that?
>>
File: 1428709362114.png (2 MB, 1786x1030) Image search: [Google]
1428709362114.png
2 MB, 1786x1030
>>63471774
Aren't you a little young for a 4channer?
>>
File: Rosemary.png (585 KB, 1060x596) Image search: [Google]
Rosemary.png
585 KB, 1060x596
The Devil's Rejects
Rosemary's Baby
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
>>
>>63471986
What?
>>
File: the-vanishing-1988.jpg (37 KB, 345x475) Image search: [Google]
the-vanishing-1988.jpg
37 KB, 345x475
>>63467621
More people need to see pic related. A great, carefully paced psychological thriller. One of the best endings I have seen in the genre.
>>
File: SELLjoeyCABIN.jpg (454 KB, 2892x2285) Image search: [Google]
SELLjoeyCABIN.jpg
454 KB, 2892x2285
>>63471897
wrong, also go back and reread the entire exchange you fucking idiot the original guy that watched cabin fever 2 didnt even mention you or your other shitty movies, go to bed
>>
>The Thing (Just for you OP)
>Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
>An American Werewolf In London
>>
File: 1265206326750.jpg (119 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
1265206326750.jpg
119 KB, 600x451
Are there any good horror films released in the last two years?
>>
>>63472145
Don't Blink
Bone Tomahawk (I'd consider it horror)
>>
Top Fave Most campy
3. Trick r Treat
2. Killer Klowns from outer space
1. Evil Dead 2

Top Fave Holiday spooks:
3. Krampus (that shit was hilarious)
2. Silent Night (Malcolm Mcdowell makes this movie fucking hilarious-er)
1. Trick r Treat (I like a good campy holiday spook)

Favorite (as in can still give me spooks):
3.Noroi
2. Event Horizon
1. Halloween (1978)
>>
>>63471904
"If you watch it" doesn't mean YOU directly, retard. That statement suggests that I thought all of Ti West's previous movies were of a much higher standard than that piece of shit. If the studios hadn't fucked with it I might have a better opinion on it. Maybe not, though. Not my fault you can't into reading comprehension, autismo.
>>
Can't do a top 3 because I like too many movies in the genre. I tend to like the more funhouse/camp sort of films, so some of my favorites are stuff like the Evil Dead trilogy, Re-Animator, Dead Alive, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, and Creepshow.

Scariest movies for me are cliche, but the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Exorcist. A lot of my favorite movies, like TCM, tend to be ones that I thought were "meh" at first, but grew to love the more times I've watched them.
>>
>>63471670
Pumpkinhead's legit good. Doesn't get enough recognition. Wishmaster is fun, but the sequels suck dick except for some moments in 2.
>>
>>63471670
Pumpkinhead 2 > Pumpkinhead

pleb
>>
>>63472196
>Not my fault you can't into reading comprehension, autismo.
Right back at you, big guy.
>>
The Mist
The Fly
The Ninth Gate
Eyes Wide Shut
In The Mouth of Madness
Event Horizon
The Descent
Pandorum
>>
Never been very big on the horror genre, but obligitory Evil Dead 2 mention for the campy catagory.

I do remember hearing about this one movie that was supposed to be incredibly sick and twisted, and has these low noises in the background to give the viewer an uneasy feeling? Apparently it cleared out theaters and made tons of people walk out since it was just so nasty, or something like that. Anyone know what it is? I would google it, but that wouldn't make great conversation.
>>
>>63469522
>that scene in the dark
All right, so I felt pressured enough to watch this right now because of so much good praise. I like it. Practical effects are so much scarier than CGI. I'm 40 minutes in, have I missed it? It's all good quality so far, so no complaints if I did, I just keep seeing -specifically- "that scene in the dark" from multiple posters.
>>
>>63472794
>I'm 40 minutes in, have I missed it?
If you have to ask then probably not.
>>
>>63472962
fair enough

I had to take a break because I had food cooking, but I'm looking forward to finishing the other half.
>>
bumping for more horrors
>>
>>63472184
Krampus was good or bad? Hilarious as in funny or what? Considering seeing it tomorrow.
>>
When it comes to "psycho stalkers" movies (more thriller than horror, I guess, but whatever), I love Single White Female. The plot is very basic, but the acting is really good, the pacing almost perfect, and there is some really interesting scenes in it.
>>
tears of kali
>>
>>63472614
All excellent movies. 10 points my good friend.
>>63467727
>sauna

yes.

I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned Inside, Martyrs, any of the french movies.
>>
>>63472184
>Noroi

My man
>>
Maniac (remake)
Toolbox Murders (original)
High Tension
>>
can't let this awesome thread die

Braindead lawnmower scene is ultimate camp
>>
>>63472614
The Descent is completely overrated

You don't even see one of the creatures until 51 minutes in, I checked. Before that it's all stronk womyn spelunking with accents and a "forced" sense of claustrophobia, which didn't work on me. Flesh-eating creatures in undiscovered caves just aren't that scary BECAUSE IT'S A DANGEROUS UNCHARTED CAVE YOU DUMB BITCH.

It makes me hate women a little bit more because I know there are some out there like this. Gotta prove they're hardc0re and stronk. Fuck offfff
>>
>What are your three favorite horror films? Nightmare mode: No "The Thing" or "Alien"
Hard call without Alien allowed, but I'd probably go:
1. The Shining
2. REC
3. The Fly

>Three best psychological thrillers?
1. The Silence of the Lambs
2. The Talented Mr. Ripley
3. The Night of the Hunter

>Three most campy?
1. The Cabin in the Woods
2. Idle Hands
3. Shaun of the Dead

>Holiday horrors?
1. Gremlins
2. Halloween
3. Fuck, I dunno. The Nightmare Before Christmas? Holiday Horrors aren't really my genre.

Cool thread, though, OP.
>>
File: 1428523629679.jpg (27 KB, 275x274) Image search: [Google]
1428523629679.jpg
27 KB, 275x274
>>63476328
>(you)
>>
Audition
Angst
Sombre
>>
File: thething_1.jpg (156 KB, 3616x1568) Image search: [Google]
thething_1.jpg
156 KB, 3616x1568
>favorite
The Thing
Alien
The Evil Dead

>pschological thriller
Jacob's Ladder
Silence of the Lambs
The Shining

>campy
The Evil Dead 2
Dead or Alive (Braindead)
Demons

>holiday
Jack Frost
Silent Night, Deadly Night
The Gingerdead Man
special mention: GREMLINS

can anyone dispute this?
>>
>>63472212
I share the same experience too, with TCM
>>
>>63467621
3 fav:
The descent
event horizon
the blob 1958

campy
chopping mall
and sleep away camp

holiday horrors
the invisible man
>>
>>63476846
wow, solid lists m8

you nailed the campy right on the head
>>
Three Best:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Cannibal Holocaust
REC

Best Camp:
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Dead Alive
Evil Dead 2

Best Holiday:
Halloween (original)
Krampus
Trick r Treat
>>
File: legend tim curry.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
legend tim curry.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Besides Hellraiser, Event Horizon, Constantine, Jacob's Ladder, the Prophecy movies and Spawn, what movies out there display Hell in a horrific way? Or Lucifer/Satan/The Devil. Legend is good, but besides that? Tim Curry is fucking great.
>>
okay, so I keep seeing Krampus mentioned

Is it more horror or campy? I don't want to spend money on it if it's just camp and quips and stupid kids.
>>
you guys are such fucking nerds

>hurr durr nice list fellow nerd, i shall give you my validation because it counts as a le upboat! xD

>(you)
>(you)
>(you)
and what the fuck is a campy movie
>>
>>63477365
>rec
really? I thought it was alright/neat but nothing special or great
>>
>>63471881

Watch the sacrement asap
>>
>>63477402
What dreams may come
Ink
What lies beneath
>>
>>63477625
careful, your autism is showing. you appear to be shambled because of a horror film discussion. nerd

some people may not be familiar with the popular or underrated movies in this genre. I for one came to this thread looking for suggestions on things to watch, since I don't have a lot seen for horror films.
>>
Can anyone recommend some movies for maximum spooks? I want that atmosphere and unsettling feeling creeping up all the time where you never feel safe. Jump scares are ok as long as the movie doesn't just rely on them all the time.
>>
>>63477754
>Ink
never heard of it, but the synopsis is very interesting. going to make that a priority watch soon.
>>
Sauna
Kairo (Pulse)
The Thing (fuck)
>>
Honestly threads like this one and the last one are comfy as fuck. Have gotten lots of good recommendations.
>>
>>63478028
I'm happy I could finally bring some quality threads, I've gotten many great recommendations from them as well, many of which I have watched because I'm ill with an auto-immune disease and have a lot of spare time inside.

People tell me it's depressing. I like them, why should they give a fuck. Not going to scare me to death although that might be quicker and less painful lmao
>>
>>63478344
Thank you. Best of luck with with your health. Gonna go watch Jacob's Ladder I think.
>>
>>63478502
I watched it earlier today, gave me the spooks throughout the whole thing. Confusing at times, but adds to the suspense and paranoia. Enjoy
>>
In General:
>The Innocents
>Trick 'r Treat
>El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

Psychological:
>Silence of the Lambs
and whatever

Campy shit:
>Reanimator
>Evil Dead 2
>Trick 'r Treat

Holiday:
>Gremlins
>Black Christmas
>Trick 'r Treat again

Honorable mentions:
>Wicker Man
>Alien
>The Thing
>Maniac (remake)
>Halloween (1981)
>The Fly (1986)
>The Shining
>Suspiria
>Noroi: The Curse
>High Tension
>>
>>63479294
>Trick 'r Treat
>Evil Dead 2
>Alien
>The Thing
>Halloween

nice tastes
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.