[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok so this movie has been being spammed a lot of /tv/ over the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: A-History-of-Violence.jpg (140 KB, 300x429) Image search: [Google]
A-History-of-Violence.jpg
140 KB, 300x429
Ok so this movie has been being spammed a lot of /tv/ over the last 4 days, FOR NOR REASON other than apparently it is "the most underrated movie of all time".

I finished watching it a couple minutes ago and you know what? I'm actually pretty convinced that it is indeed the underrated movie of all time.

Seriously, it drips with underratedness, from clarinety/oboe progression/intermittent soundtrack to the unforgettable characters that lives fondly in your cockles long after the movie.

Honestly.
>>
Jesus Joey
>>
>>63464593
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>63464593
>live fondly in your cockles
You should probably get that checked out.
>>
>>63464593
Yes, it's a very good movie, OP.

Perfect pacing, no fat, concise storyline with above average characterizations.
>>
Plus that scene on the stairs.
>>
>>63464614
>Jesus Joey
Speaking about christ, why is the christian cross always so prominently on display? Like Joey wears a cross and so does his wife and their necklace always pops out at one time or another...

What is cronenberg tryin to tell us?
>>
>>63464593
>FOR NOR REASON

Dumb phoneposter
>>
I saw this here too so I caved and watched it yesterday. I enjoy it now more than I did when I just finished it. The story is very straightforward, but reflecting on it shows some deeper ponderings (like the whole nature vs nurture idea).

I would agree that it's underrated, but not the most of all time. It was a solid movie, and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't quite fantastic.
>>
>>63464593
I fucking love this movie. Been one of my top 10 since I first saw it.

>>63464614
Best line desu senpai.
>>
>>63464730
Themes of Christian forgiveness and redemption.

"I wasn't really born against until I met you."
>>
Hey guys, is the fight between Joey and his bro have something to do with Cane and Abel?

Think about it.

Joey is thought to live on a farm by his brother--even though he doesn't...but it doesn't harken the symbolism in relation to Abel being a "tiller of the earth" and Cain being a keeper of a flock (aka mafia henchmen".

Also Joey always wears a cross around his neck cus he loves god, just like Abel loved and was loved by God more than Cain.

This movie has so much pottery--which makes it even more underrated.
>>
>>63464839
YES. Broheem! Yes.

Also--owning guns= god given right (notice how guns are the single biggest factor in the way the meek defend themselves in apple pie rural america?)

Also, I think I got one final observation...

The history of violence is not only Joey's criminal record, but it is the history of man's history of violence.

Since the dawning of mankind and civilization, man has been killing his brothers, from cain and abel, to civil wars, to the american civil war, etc.

So boom goes your mind right now.
>>
Essentially capeshit.
>>
>>63464949
Essentially retarded
>>
how do you fuck that up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhIEAiDyM20
>>
Warning, watching this webm with cause you to watch this movie despite horror at the violence and gore.
>>
It was shit. Essentially a warm-up run for Eastern Promises for Cronenberg and Viggo. Tedious barebones plot with nothing interesting to say, and no resolution. Even the violence wasn't interesting, and this is from the so called "master of body-horror". Dead Ringers makes this look like any given action flick and that film wasn't even very violent. The only redeeming factors were the performances.
>>
>>63465050
This is a much better film than Eastern Promises.
>>
You are literally dead inside if you don't like Maria Bello.
>>
>>63465108
No anon, it isn't.
>>
>>63465049
It will also spoil the fuck out of it, retard.
>>
>>63465050
empty plot was to be expected though, apparently it's an adaptation of a comic book or some shit so yeah

this (>>63464949)
>>
>>63465133
Eastern Promises singlehandedly ruined Viggo's career--it was that bad of a movie.
>>
>>63465149
>It will also spoil the fuck out of it, retard.
This isn't one of those movies that get "spoiled" because it's so good you'll rewatch it even though you know what's going to happen.
>>
>>63465050
You have it backwards. Eastern Promises is formulaic thriller material, albeit very well done. History of violence is classic storytelling that's harder to neatly classify--same as some mid-century American films (think: North By Northwest).
>>
>>63465176
>ruined his career
>probably one of the most convincing accent performances of the last 50 years

You have literally no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>63465176
Why does /tv/ think movies have to be either complete shit or totally amazing?
>>
>>63465255
Because extreme opinions get more replies? I dunno.
>>
>>63465255
No seriously, Eastern Promises is terrible.

Bad pacing. Bad main character female lead. Bad central conflict. Viggo had no personality.

The only entertaining thing in that whole movie was the shower fight scene--and it distrubed me more than entertained me.
>>
>>63465208
what the fuck does that even mean, reddit?
>>
>>63465255

it's not just /tv/, it's pretty much everyone, internet and overabundance of information and content has created the kind of culture where shit is either the GREATEST THING EVER or complete garbage, nothing exists between because it actually requires you to stop for a moment and try to make some sense of all the stuff that you're exposing yourself to 24/7.
>>
>>63465331
>Viggo had no personality

this is a really bad opinion
>>
>>63465208
Shut the fuck up. Spoiling is dogshit, even if it's not essential to enjoying the movie. It's not your place to reveal the plot. That's the director's job, through the efforts of hundreds, to reveal it in a way that makes narrative sense.
>>
>>63465446
>to reveal it

what's to reveal if you already know what's underneath the sheet
>>
>>63465331
I thought the naked fight was cool .
>>
>>63465490
that's the shower scene he's referring to fammo, and yeah that was pretty full on

in fact a lot of the violence in that one was pretty full on

come to think of it I really liked it
>>
>>63465108
Eastern Promises was a very well made movie, but the story seemed too vague until the reveal of his character's involvement, but then when you know that, it kinda pisses you off to know so little cause it's almost the end of the movie!
Plus the whole baby thing at the end felt too much like a tearjerker type of ending.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.