[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is he so based >“I’ve been in Hollywood for fifty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: william-friedkin.jpg (547 KB, 450x500) Image search: [Google]
william-friedkin.jpg
547 KB, 450x500
why is he so based

>“I’ve been in Hollywood for fifty years and I have never met an executive of a television or movie company, or a talent agency, that was prejudiced against people of different colors or against women. I’ve never met anyone,” he said. “Now, why there are more men directing films than women, I can’t answer that. But it’s not because of prejudice.

>“It’s a question like why there are more white basketball or football players in America," the director continued. "Most of them are black, or from another country. Why is that? The only answer to that is that they compete and that they’re better! Wherever women can compete, they get the jobs. I don’t know anyone who’s prejudiced against African-Americans or women, I’ve just never seen it. Why is that there are more black athletes? Because they’re better. So what should we do? Should we get some legislation or pass some rules that there have to be more white players? No, you can’t do that! Why are the greatest painters that ever lived mostly white men? I don’t know! Women are free to paint. But you cannot pass diversity laws in an art form.”
>>
>“I can’t explain why that is, but that is an open playing field, and I believe that cinema is too," he said. "I have never heard of a man running a studio, talent agency or a network saying, ‘Oh, I don’t want to hire a woman for that job.’ But women have to put themselves forward. ...All I can say is that I’m certain people have faced obstacles in trying to work in all the art forms or in sports. I was a pretty good basketball player when I was a kid in high school, but I could never play on a professional basketball team. There was no way anybody could pass a diversity law so that I could. I just wasn’t good enough. And that’s hard for people to face. If you’re good enough, you’re gonna work. All this other stuff to me is just smoke screen.”

“...anyone who would deny a talented woman, or a talented member of a racial minority, a job, is just an asshole, and not fit to be in a position to hire,” he also said. “Are there assholes in every business in every industry, in every country? You bet. But that doesn’t mean it’s going to be cured by some kind of diversity rule.”
>>
when it’s mentioned that Meryl Streep recently pointed out the large imbalance between male and female film critics, Friedkin was particularly put out.

>[W]ho the fuck is counting the gender of critics?!" he said. "What is that? Are we now asking for diversity among film critics? Oh my God! What is the world coming to? Let me just say this to you. I guess in the United States, which is all I can speak about, I think there are probably now more women than men. So the whole concept about how many women will be critics or directors or whatever is bound to change. In terms of African-Americans, there are fewer African-Americans in this country than white people, and as their numbers grow, there are bound to be more African-Americans in all facets of the art. Just by sheer numbers.

>>
>>63443696
Thank you OP

It is indeed sad that such threads will go largely unnoticed.
>>
Well said
>>
I have very limited experience in the entertainment field, but I was hired as a writer by some minor to write a quickie CG kids movie.

I lived on the other side of the country, so I was on speakerphone for the first meeting. The executive producer was fairly well known, had worked on a lot of animated shows, including the Simpsons, and had run several studios. He used the word "nigger" more times in that meeting than I have ever heard in my life.
Halfway through the meeting, he realizes the other people in the room and kinda put off by this. He leans in close to the speakerphone and says "Sorry, Anon. You're not a nigger, are you?"

Me: :Uh.... no?"

Interesting coda: not that producer is in jail for fraud over the fund raising practices for that CG kids movie.
>>
>>63443758
Why ARE there so few female critics though? Women love criticizing shit.
>>
>>63443696
I agree with him on directors
But the rest is... iffy
This is probably the worst place to argue it, especially since I hate the notion that everyone could achieve the exact same things if we made the system fairer

But it's hard to deny that throughout history women/other cultures have been ignored. Take that film Big Eyes. There's at least one known philosopher that's the same. Who knows how many countless more.
Bell's credited with inventing the telephone in pop culture, but the courts eventually settled accreditation when it became apparent he stole the concept.

I mean I'll give an example, how many people know any south-east Asian artists' names? Tarantino ripped off the entire plot of reservoir dogs and no one really noticed or cared (also, it's his best film)and made an entire career off doing this

There is a definitely a bias. Towards your own culture and towards forwarding your own world view
>>
>>63443696
That's just entirely too sensible for [the current year].
>>
>>63445611
What film did he rip off? I'd like to watch it.
>>
>>63445405

Women point out the obvious that doesn't need to be said.
>>
>>63445778
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HgbSAL8OKY

Ringo Lam's City on Fire
>>
>>63445838
Cheers mate.
>>
>>63445611
I think the comparison between athletes and artists isn't well-reasoned either, because it assume artistic talent or creativity is biological rather than a learned skill. A taller person, a person who is genetically pre-disposed to be faster, more agile or more powerful, is always going to have an advantage in sports regardless of their gender, sexuality, or race. If, however, some of those traits are more common in a particular race or ethnicity then it follows there will be more of that genotype in that sport. The same can't be said for artistic ability, which is subjective, whereas athletic ability can be measured objectively in terms of their success in the field - furthest jump, most goals, etc.
>>
File: 1445516176325.png (405 KB, 772x482) Image search: [Google]
1445516176325.png
405 KB, 772x482
>>63443696
>“I’ve been in Hollywood for fifty years and I have never met an executive of a television or movie company, or a talent agency, that was prejudiced against people of different colors or against women. I’ve never met anyone,” he said. “Now, why there are more men directing films than women, I can’t answer that. But it’s not because of prejudice.
Funny hearing that from a kike.
Where are the arabic actors or the asian actors even in our so called "MUH DIVERSITY" PC MULTICULTI Hollywood of 20and15? And don't tell me that there aren't any. Also half the world is asian and the asian market generats almost half of the revenue on blockbuster titles nowadays and yet asians are still so criminally underpresented and get the roles of some statist mechanic in the background etc. while niggers get to play the heroes like that Django subhuman cotton field plucker?
Why is it that diversity = niggers in Hollywood?

I love your movies, but fuck off Friedkin, you dirty judenschwein!
>>
SJW will eat him alive for this
>mansplaining and whitesplaining
Dis gon b gud
>>
>>63445782
This. I'd like to add that they tend to be atrocious impartial observers, and will find any means necessary to get a film to fit their social narrative. They have their minds made up before they even sit down.
>>
wow.

this thread.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.