[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
explain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6
explain
>>
ayy lmao
>>
They pulled the Nic Pizzolatto "let me write myself into a hole and blast myself out" trick. It's a good trick.

Bravissimo Hawlissimo
>>
>>63441866
It's funny since everyone really wanted supernatural shit in TD, and everybody is mad about it being included here.
>>
>>63441866
But they weren't in a hole. They could easily pull this scene off without UFO - Lou killing the Bear and then shooting at Hanzee who's distracted and knocked by Peggy and Ed.

It was purely his choice to include UFO, he didn't need deus ex machina.
>>
>>63441903
>deus ex machina
UFOs appeared in the series before.
I agree though.
>>
>>63441894
The supernatural shit was always the weakest part, but I was referring more to Marty and Ray suddenly becoming fucking Columbo in the last episodes of their seasons.

>>63441903
Well then they made a stupid fucking choice.

>How can we work in yet another reference to a Coen Bros movie while also filling the Bazingameter for maximum quirkiness?
>I'VE GOT IT
>>
ITT retards who haven't been watching the rest of the season or understand how this show (and the movie) are being told at all
>>
>>63441643
well, you see, there's a ufo
>>
>>63442150
Don't you dare compare this piece of shit to anything the Coen Brothers have ever made besides The Ladykillers. It's so inferior that it's not even funny.
>>
>>63442245
What does that have anything to do with my post
>>
>>63442255
>>63442150

>(and the movie)
>>
>>63442221
ok Mike
>>
>>63442304
Yes..? I'm talking about the way supernatural and heightened reality is being used in the narrative, not any discussion of quality.
>>
>>63442334
Nothing supernatural or heightened about the movie, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a fan of the tv show.
>>
>>63442376
Oh yeah, you're one of those people who think it's actually a true story, are you?
>>
>>63442334
>narrative construction isn't indicative of quality
>this is what Season 2 fans believe
>>
>>63442413
>lmao the UFO was just a big deus ex machine fucking hack writers

that's how this thread started, fucker

if you can't get what they're doing here and are unable to get a story past the most dumbly superficial level that's on you

if you don't LIKE it that's a whole other issue, but that's not what people here were talking about
>>
>>63442393
Nope, but there damn sure ain't anything supernatural about it.
>>
>>63442436
>and heightened reality

Are you just trying to be wilfully ignorant or what?

>If an audience believes that something's based on a real event, it gives you permission to do things they might otherwise not accept.
>>
>>63441643
A terribly written show pulls bullshit out of it's ass and further proves that it doesn't deserve it's namesake in the slightest
>>
File: laugh.jpg (17 KB, 329x309) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
17 KB, 329x309
>best show currently airing
>/tv/ can't grasp it past "lol ayy lmao" WTF XD

typical
>>
>>63442449
All movies have heightened reality, the fact that you equate the somewhat surreal events of the movie with a fucking spaceship coming down shows that you have no understanding of what the movie was about, but then again you are a fan of the tv show.
>>
>>63442557
>trying your hardest with ad hominems

Kind of cute, even though you must clearly be watching the show as well (unless you're just spouting shit, which is a pretty distinct possibility too)

If you actually understood what the "This is a true story" was about and why it's in the show as well - it's on the level of a story told at the dinner table, a tall tale. Same for the movie. The UFO is part of that (except for also being an obvious Coen reference, who constantly have supernatural elements in their movies). What did you even think of season 1? It has plenty of shit like this, too.
>>
>>63442432
>>63442491
>Maybe it I keep telling people they don't get it it'll start seeming less like the absolute dumbest thing to happen in a show based off the movie Fargo
>>
The real reason for the UFO was to further cement Peggy as best girl in the universe by ignoring it.
>>
>>63442620
>maybe if I pretend to be an actual retard not realizing it's not just Fargo as the only Coen brothers movie they're referencing I can shitpost even harder

hahaha yeah, "pretend"
>>
THIS SEASON IS BASED ON ONE OF THE BIGGEST UFO SIGHTINGS IN US HISTORY THAT HAPPENED DURING A MASSACRE
>THIS SEASON IS BASED ON ONE OF THE BIGGEST UFO SIGHTINGS IN US HISTORY THAT HAPPENED DURING A MASSACRE
THIS SEASON IS BASED ON ONE OF THE BIGGEST UFO SIGHTINGS IN US HISTORY THAT HAPPENED DURING A MASSACRE
>THIS SEASON IS BASED ON ONE OF THE BIGGEST UFO SIGHTINGS IN US HISTORY THAT HAPPENED DURING A MASSACRE
>>
>>63442675
Shh, you'll disturb the TD fans
>>
>>63442675
story:

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/10/27/fargo-val-johnson-incident
>>
>>63442612
"This is a true story" was meant for people to accept the events of the movie as true because it being set in reality tied into the movie's themes. It's also a bit of a throwaway joke. It does not justify having aliens in an adaptation of a small town crime story that's supposed to be a meditation on humanity. While the Coen's do use supernatural elements in their films, in Fargo there are none to be found, and introducing them into the story blatantly misses the point of the source material.
>>
People see ufos all the time.

>being so delusional to think there aren't advanced intelligent life forms in the universe
>>
>>63442661
>Maybe if I keep referring to the blatant ripping off of the Coen's entire filmography as "references", I can keep that nagging sense that I'm not actually all that smart at bay
>>
File: 1415762612530.jpg (11 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1415762612530.jpg
11 KB, 450x300
>>63442789
Aliens aren't supernatural ya idjit
>>
>>63442789
How is it not a meditation on humanity any more all of a sudden? The aliens aren't some huge plot device, they're a narrative trick to have an outsider look into the madness looking down on humanity.

Also, season 1 had a whole bunch of supernatural elements already and it was obvious as shit in both seasons that Fargo wasn't the only movie they were basing it on. If you're only realizing this 9 episodes into the second season I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>63442824
>maybe if I sidestep the argument completely by calling the references badly done I can ignore the fact that they are actual references
>>
>>63442789

read this fatass
>>
>>63442675
Ooooh another shoehorned reference to actual events!?!?!? There's no way this show could be a hackneyed piece of shit with all these references!!!!?!!!!!
>>
>>63442858
fuck off, reddit
>>
>>63442842
If you introduce aliens into your plot that changes the entire context of your story, leaving out that there was no hint of them in the source material. And I'm not defending season one either, I don't know where you got that impression. It missed the mark just as hard, but at least it didn't have fucking aliens.
>>
>>63442918
What context? What source material? Don't be intentionally vague. The aliens are here to be that outsider, the observer, on the craziness that is humankind. They aren't there for anything else. You don't actually think this season has been about aliens, right? It's about the people's stories, and the aliens are being used to frame that. If you don't like that, that's fine, but don't pretend it's some shitty deus ex machine because that's not what they are.

With regards to season one, I'm just surprised you're still even watching the show if you had the same impression then is all. Takes a strange mind to keep watching a show they dislike for so long.
>>
>>63442852
>Maybe if I pull my head out of my ass I can see that making references at best isn't a substitute for poor writing and at worst is preying on a far superior body of work and repurposing it for one's own benefit without even bothering to try anything unique with it.
>>
>>63442985
>maybe if I'd realize the show was making references to various Coen movies that aren't Fargo I'd realize my initial argument was fucking retarded, but we can't have that, can we, so let's switch gears and move the goalposts
>>
>>63442965
The context and source material of Fargo the movie you fuck. If there were aliens in the movie it would be completely different.
>>
You realize that I'm aware that they're making references to their other movies right? And that has no bearing whatsoever on my argument?
>>
>>63441643
>aliens in first episode
Wow dude aliums awesome!
>every episode has hints and clues about aliens
Wow dude more alien stuff I wonder if it will come full circle?!
>aliens show up in second to last episode
Wow what hacks worst show ever hurr durr so gay

You guys are the worst
>>
>>63443034
No, it's not just Fargo any more, and it wasn't that in season one, either. There's references to the local culture at the time like that Val Johnson incident, but also to the Man Who Wasn't There, No Country For Old Men, The Big Lebowski, and Miller's Crossing, but I'm sure I missed some. Of course the original movie would be different if there had been UFOs in that, but this isn't the original movie, just set in the same place.
>>
>>63443069
>>63443021
>>
>>63443093
>>63443069
>maybe saying "in a show based off the movie Fargo" was a pretty dumb thing then, huh, weird
>>
>>63443088
So what? Just because they've broadened the scope of their plagiarism and peppered in historical references doesn't mean that as an adaptation of the movie Fargo the television show is a failure.
>>
>/tv/ doesn't understand why this episode was narrated in a storybook fashion
>>
>>63443131
It's not an adaptation of the movie Fargo and hasn't been since the start, jesus christ. It's its own story with references, and this was obvious since s01e01. If you keep thinking of the show as just being an adaptation of the movie I can see how the story would be kind of awkward, yeah. Good thing is isn't.
>>
>>63443147
OOH WAS IT REAL OR WAS IT NOT???? I GET TO THROW THE TERM UNRELIABLE NARRATOR AROUND!!!!!!
>>
>>63441643
>>
File: hitlercomic.jpg (68 KB, 946x472) Image search: [Google]
hitlercomic.jpg
68 KB, 946x472
>>63443183
>>
>>63443183
but that's exactly what it was, adding too much punctuation and writing in caps like a 4-year old doesn't change that
>>
>>63443159
How the fuck can you say it's not an adaptation of the movie Fargo? They ripped off the entire movie wholesale. It's called Fargo.
>>
>ITT
Meme Detective fans in their natural habitat: a disgusting swamp of delusion and saltiness
>>
>>63443241
I don't think you understand what "adaptation" means

It's based in tone and place on Fargo, no shit, but that doesn't mean they have to have the exact same narrative framing or storylines all the way through. It's also been clear since the start that this wasn't just based on Fargo as a movie, but the whole Coen catalogue.
>>
>>63443239
Just like adding a device that let's you off the hook for all the logical inconsistencies doesn't change bad writing to good.
>>
>>63443299
What logical inconsistencies?
>>
>>63443299

>I don't know anything about literature but let my autism talk instead
>>
>>63443279
Don't tell me I don't know what adaptation means when you're telling me they took the setting, look, dialogue, plot, and characters from Fargo the movie (and yes, other Coen movies, that does nothing for your argument) and it still shouldn't be considered an adaptation. Even the narrative framing and storylines are similar.
>>
>>63443365
>Referencing literature when talking about a stupid tv show where the only suspense is how the characters will kill each other and if aliens will show up again
>>
>>63443380
>and yes, other Coen movies, that does nothing for your argument

Sorry, weren't you the one hammering on about how we can't have UFOs because this is based on Fargo the movie so we can never ever have anything outside the borders of that movie? That was the entire fucking point. You're still looking at it solely through the lens of the movie, which you shouldn't do.
>>
>>63442798
Christfags BTFO
>>
>>63443319
The fucking aliens
>>
>>63443455
What was logically inconsistent about them? Within the story they've always been there since episode 1 (they fucking caused Rye to die), no logical inconsistency there.
>>
The UFO didn't ruin the episode.
The pointlessness and shoddy structure did.

Hanzee's characterization is just nonsense. It's a bigger deus ex machina than the ufo.
>>
>>63443429

>blah blah blah I'm fucking stupid

good one
>>
>>63443448
Nowhere in the Bible does it say we are God's only creation in His vast infinite universe
>>
>>63443455
Aliens have been referenced like crazy.
Hell, even Reagan is in the show, and his alien speech will probably be shown later.
>>
>>63443507
What? He's been consistently shown as humiliated and thought of as lesser by the Gerhardts. He just snapped.
>>
>>63443532
The bible also doesn't make elaborate arguments in the existence of God.
>>
>>63443440
Ok, you're circling back. I shouldn't look at it through the lens of the movie, but>>63443380
>>
>>63443507
>Hanzee's characterization is just nonsense

Explain the characterization of Marge Gunderson.
>>
>>63443507
Is this another person who doesn't understand racism towards native Americans?
>>
>>63443612
Yes? Try a bit harder than "hey it's called Fargo and had a similar plot to Fargo and the setting is the same" as only requisites for it needing to be the exact fucking same as the movie.
>>
>>63443574
>and thought of as lesser by the Gerhardts

By one Gerhardt.

And why was he going after Ed and Peggy? You would have no goddamn clue if the narrator didn't explicitly tell you.

The writers are trying to turn Hanzee into some Anton Chigurh-esque malevolent figure and its falling completely flat.
>>
>>63443680
"Try it bit harder" for what? You aren't addressing anything that I'm saying, you just keep implying that I don't know what an adaptation is and want the tv show to be the same as the movie.
>>
>>63443699
>By one Gerhardt.

By all of them. Did you miss them not ever referring to him by name, him being forced to drink from the garden hose, him not having any agency whatsoever even though he was adopted by Otto as a child? The only one who treated him like a human being was Simone, as far as I can remember.

>And why was he going after Ed and Peggy? You would have no goddamn clue if the narrator didn't explicitly tell you.

No, because I'm not dense as fuck. It was pretty obvious the haircut scene last episode was the most significant one the character has had yet.
>>
>>63443715
Then what are you saying? Make it plain, then: Why can't this show have its UFO they have set up for the past 8 episodes? Why is that wrong tonally or a deus ex machina?

Because every single damn time you seem to refer to the movie when talking about that, even though that's irrelevant at this point.
>>
>>63443749

>By all of them
We didn't get to see enough interaction between Hanzee and the rest of the Gerhardts. Since Dodd was always in control of him, who didn't want him listening to anyone else, we can only assume this control came directly from Dodd.

>It was pretty obvious the haircut scene last episode was the most significant one the character has had yet.

It was pretty obvious he was chasing Ed and Peggy because they saw his vulnerable side?

Alright, walk me through that one, because there were exactly zero character moments that meditated on this. The only way you could logically draw this conclusion is by the narrator telling us.
>>
>>63443783
Ok let me make is a plain as possible. This show is called Fargo, and owes its existence to that movie. It lifted it's entire aesthetic and writing style from that movie. It is an adaptation of that movie. As an adaptation of that movie, this show is a failure. The people who make it obviously do not understand why the movie works aside from the superficial, and the introduction of aliens is a distillation of that.
>>
>>63443857
Again, garden hose. Of course we couldn't know the extent of it until he snapped these last two episodes, but it's clear he was adopted by Otto then grew up between the Gerhardts, but they never treated him as an equal. That's established.

They establish the Ed and Peggy thing right after he went and killed the racists at the bar and then Dodd who was insulting him. He was tired of this life and people disrespecting him and the haircut represented that. The narrator makes the leap of him chasing them for that reason, but the more simple explanation is that they were witnesses to him murdering Dodd (and thus betraying the Gerhardts). You can take either one, but neither feels inconsistent with what we know about him.
>>
>>63443934
>every single damn time you seem to refer to the movie

You can't fucking do it. You can't fucking think of the show as being a separate entity to the movie. That's what I've been saying all this time and this post only goes to prove it. You don't have any real arguments except that the show is supposed follow the movie so closely that everything else is impossible. Your thinking about the show is so fundamentally flawed that I don't understand you've been watching it for 19 episodes.
>>
>>63444040
It's not a fucking separate entity you moron. If this show was called Stupid Criminals: Do Aliens Exist? then we wouldn't be having this conversation. And I'm not saying that the show is supposed to follow the movie, I'm saying the people who make the show don't understand the source material.
>>
>>63443979

Alright, you're just repeating yourself now. I don't need to repeat my arguments again.

>neither feels inconsistent with what we know about him.
You straight-up dodged my question.
>>
>>63444146
You can acknowledge that the show is titled Fargo purely for cash grabbing brand recognition reasons and still judge the show on it's own terms. It was more of a problem with season 1 where they were making overt references to the movie but the second season is so far removed that it's easy to just disregard the entire connection to the namesake and just view it as you would any other crime show.

Making a television adaptation of fargo was always a worthless idea. They just happened to make a good show within the confines of that worthless idea.
>>
>>63444285
No you can't because they are continually trying to ape the Coen Brothers and failing miserably. It has no distinct voice whatsoever beyond being a Coen pastiche. And a television adaptation of Fargo isn't an inherently worthless idea. I'm not a fan of movie-television adaptations in general, but I think there was a lot of potential in a Fargo show. Keyword was.
>>
File: 1384904331875.jpg (146 KB, 728x690) Image search: [Google]
1384904331875.jpg
146 KB, 728x690
Did you niggers watch episode 1 or just start watching mid-season or something? We had a graphic depiction of an UFO in the very first episode. What the fuck are you sperging about?
>>
>>63444492
Aliens didn't stop being a stupid plot device after the first episode.
>>
>>63444454
>No you can't because they are continually trying to ape the Coen Brothers and failing miserably.
That annoyed me a lot in season 1 but the Coens fan fiction elements haven't felt as heavy handed this season. I agree that it doesn't have much of a distinct personality but it's well produced entertainment product even if it isn't artistically respectable.
>>
>>63442826
Also aliens don't exist, they are fairies, every hunter knows that
>>
>>63444567
It's cool if you think it's a well-produced yet unoriginal and mostly unartistic piece of entertainment, I don't begrudge you that. What makes me angry about this show is the amount of pseudo-intellectual acclaim it gets, especially coupled with the Coen brothers plagiarism.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.