[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
They fucked up something with the tone, it doesn't feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: tfa_poster_wide_header_adb92fa0.jpg (140 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
tfa_poster_wide_header_adb92fa0.jpg
140 KB, 600x337
They fucked up something with the tone, it doesn't feel like Star Wars. I just can't pinpoint what it is. What did they get wrong?
>>
>>63423599
the acting and dialogue?
>>
>>63423599
You grew up.
>>
The forced and artificial callbacks to the OT?
>>
File: JJ-Abrams.jpg (45 KB, 948x1221) Image search: [Google]
JJ-Abrams.jpg
45 KB, 948x1221
They hired a talentless hack.
>>
It's because the main character is a coon
>>
>>63423647
Yeah, but what about it? There is a very specific feel to Star Wars that made them good.
>>
>>63423675

ding ding ding

Exactly what The Hobbit did wrong too.
>>
lense flares?
>>
>>63423696

But thats not Lawrence Kasdan
>>
File: 1449430991355.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1449430991355.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
>>63423599
>the tone of a movie i haven't seen is fucked up
kill yourself
>>
File: Star Cucks.jpg (99 KB, 970x548) Image search: [Google]
Star Cucks.jpg
99 KB, 970x548
>>63423599
>>
>>63423599
It's too clean. It's a manufactured, easily digestable product that really only serves to get people hype for the next movie. JJ knows he's got a lot riding on him, so he's trying to create something that'll appease fans and haters alike, without strongly leaning towards either.

Don't get me wrong, it's fucking working, but I understand that I'm being manipulated.
>>
>>63423599
It's generic disney sci-fi. You could use half the scenes from John Carter for these trailers. They gave the first new movie (with 26 more to come) to Mr Reliable 6/10. Jew Jew is an immitator in every way. They showed how little ambition they had for this movie when they hired him.

Disney are banking on him coming up with another inoffensive, average action flick that they can plaster John Williams music over to trick people into thinking its Star Wars.

Have a look at the list for the biggest selling movies of all time. Most of them are forgettable shit. That's what Disney want for this movie. And the next one and the next one and the next one ect.

Quality and artistic integrity don't exist within the realms of selling a product.
>>
>>63423599
nah, you feel that way because you want it to fail.
/tv/ is literally killing your mind.
>>
>>63423704
I actually have no idea someone can write a line of dialogue like "why you no good, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder" have it approved, take it to set, have an actor perform it, and it works fucking great. I mean how do you tell the difference between that and an actual stupid childish line?

I guess it's like the difference between LOTR and every failed fantasy epic before and since. It's lightning in a bottle, an underlying sense of the integrity of the universe being shown, or something.
>>
Lmao wait till you actually watch the movie niggers.
>>
>>63423811
>Have a look at the list for the biggest selling movies of all time. Most of them are forgettable shit.

COUGH COUGH ADJUST FOR INFLATION FAGGOT COUGH
>>
>>63423811

While I somewhat agree with you, keep in mind that he had final cut. That could be a good or bad thing, who knows, but its nice to see that Disney isn't completely forcing their way into all of it
>>
>>63423811
the first Star Trek reboot had a much better trailer, though, and the characters seemed to be working better.
>>
File: Untitledg.jpg (14 KB, 188x192) Image search: [Google]
Untitledg.jpg
14 KB, 188x192
>>
File: 1449532912811.webm (3 MB, 1280x500) Image search: [Google]
1449532912811.webm
3 MB, 1280x500
>>63423599
There's no ideas in it. It's just a rehash of the previous movies with imagery drawn from movies that were inspired by the originals.

Does it really look that different from Star Trek, Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor 2?

>>63423802
>It's too clean
>It's a manufactured, easily digestable product

also this.
>>
Niggers
>>
>>63424039
Like, visually some of the ideas are neat (new hyperspace jump) and I like the new trooper designs, but storywise you know this'll mirror ANH.
>>
I don't know what you niggas are toking but this looks like Star Wars.
>>
>>63423802
this

it'll meet all the corporate criteria with no personality from the writers
>>
>>63424039
>tfw Firefly did this snap-zoom in a CGI ship sequence first

take my love, take my land...
>>
>>63423885
harrison ford also is very charismatic and thus can carry lines like that without a problem.

the current crop of actors/actresses in this film are terrible.
>>
>>63424075
And Phantom Menace didn't?
>>
>>63424113
Carrie Fisher actually delivered that line, to Ford. I guess the coke must have been good that day.
>>
>>63423599
it's not a movie. it's a carefully focus grouped product. it's jurassic world-level star wars.

it'll break records out the wazoo and get treated like it's a masterpiece but no one will be talking about it in six months.
>>
>>63423924
The inflation list has zero relevance to my point. Even the more recent films on the inflation list don't compare in quality to the older ones. Avatar and Titanic don't compare with Gone With The Wind and Jaws.

The audiences' tastes have changed. They have far less to get excited about in going to see a new movie. They have a taste for capeshit and the Fast and the Furious. If released today, The Sound of Music and The Godfather couldn't compete financially with the shit that plebs flock to.
>>
>>63424180
>a six year old film doesn't compare to a 70+ year old film that had an influence on several generations

Gee, what a fair and rational comparison!
>>
>>63423672
>>63423802
/thread
>>
>>63424171
>it's not a movie. it's a carefully focus grouped product. it's jurassic world-level star wars.

This can't be said enough. It's a calculated risk taken by a multinational company selling their product based on brand loyalty and nostalgia.
>>
>>63424304
This alone doesn't mean it won't be good
>>
>What did they get wrong?
The fact that they forced diversity instead of picking good actors.
They should've picked someone white in place of Finn and a guy instead of the girl. There's no reason for her to be a girl if she doesn't need saving.
We could've gotten an ultimate bro movie and got this
>>
It will include everything that the fans want and even those who want to hate it will be able to say they were well entertained by it.
That's why it will do exceptionally well in the box office.
But when the next year rolls round it will be bested by the next Disney or Marvel epic that meets all the same criteria.

And it'll be forgotten To be rebooted again

The original trilogy had staying power because they were far from perfect. They weren't designed by board room committee.
In fact some parts of them were damn stupid and those bits were miscalculated or unintended.

Disney embraced those errors and compiled them into the formula so they become a necessary part of the attraction and not just pieces to be dismissed by the fan's imagination.

It will be cute and cool but it will have zero quirks. Everyone will see the same spectacle rather than have us take from and add to it what we will.
>>
>>63424341
>sleazy pandering to the least common denominator for $$$
>good

the OT didn't do handholding and condescending agendas. they'd just name fantastical shit and reference history you knew nothing about.
>>
>>63423675

When they please the FANBASE instead of focusing into making an original movie, this happens
>>
>>63424528
>>63424528
>It will be cute and cool but it will have zero quirks

but it already seems to be far from perfect, and not in an interesting way but in a "we don't know what we're really doing" way.
>>
>>63424660
And that's even worse. They try to achieve a sterile and "perfect" experience, and when they fail to achieve that there's nothing else left.
>>
>>63424660
like what
>>
>>63424180
>Avatar and Titanic don't compare with Gone With The Wind and Jaws.

I unironically think this is objectively wrong. In particular Gone With The Wind is FAR from perfect even though I fucking love it. Jaws is a masterpiece but it's not a deep or profound film either.

Your point is merely ignoring that there is a whole extra tier of success above the 1.5 billion range of movies like The Avengers and Jurassic World. You're lumping the mega-blockbusters in with the typical #1 movies of a given year.
>>
>>63424114
and phantom menace was SHIT
>>
>>63423599

>people still watch these shitty movies every time they come out, and then complain about how much they sucked

when will society learn that you don't have to see every shitty movie that comes out?
>>
>>63424660
i've heard lines that sound awkward (though not to mainstream audience)

the imperfections I'm talking about are the kind of things disney can easily prevent. I mean everything Family Guy made fun of in their parody. Seth didn't even need to come up with any jokes for that. it was enough to just draw out the scenes. like the fact that the pilot is a dumb looking fat bastard, random screams, weird noises, background characters doing things you can only wonder about

I don't think anyone Hired for a project like this has the imagination for it.
>>
>>63424341
Yes it does.
>>
>>63424851
>I don't think anyone Hired for a project like this has the imagination for it

too much imagination scares producers. they need people who will be safe and do what they want.
>>
tfw we will never have another Star Wars film with god-tier cinematography like Empire Strikes Back ever again
>>
I literally thought this was a fan made trailer when it first came out. It still feels like one.
>>
>>63423599

the biggest standout for me is the
>le witty banter

all these inane 'humor' quips like hell naw and
>we need a pilot
>we've got one

dialogue that feels totally unnatural and forced, and absolutely nothing like people talk in real life

its a hallmark of directors like JJ and Whedon
>>
>>63423599
>They fucked up something with the tone, it doesn't feel like Star Wars.

Like the prequels?
Those didn't feel like Star Wars either.
The prequels' trailers sure felt like Star Wars though.
Good sign for the things to come.
>>
>>63424945
star wars has always had that cheesy banter though
>>
>>63423599
It's going to be too tryhard and end up bein upsetting (killing Han Solo, etc) without being edgy enough to be satisfyingly tragic. It's gonna be shit.
>>
it almost feels like a series of trailers. it doesn't quite have the tone of a full movie. can't work out why.
>>
File: wipe-startwars.jpg (54 KB, 550x235) Image search: [Google]
wipe-startwars.jpg
54 KB, 550x235
JJ probably won't even use the classic wipe transitions
>>
>>63424456
>we could have had a movie with a beautiful Aryan lead wielding a orange lightsaber
>instead we get a monkey and a million generic callbacks
This movie is going to break all records, but nobody will remember it in 20 years.
>>
>>63424945
>dialogue that feels totally unnatural and forced, and absolutely nothing like people talk in real life

You can say that about almost any movie including and especially the OT.
>>
>>63424967
the banter wasn't this generic, though. even lucas wrote better.
>>
>>63424986
He does
You see one in the trailer
>>
File: 00StarWarsCanonOfficiallyEnds.jpg (57 KB, 1044x522) Image search: [Google]
00StarWarsCanonOfficiallyEnds.jpg
57 KB, 1044x522
>>63423599
It's simply not canon.
>>
>>63424986
Oh he will SO use them.
Look, JJ is a meme-tastic trope-loving director.
The wipes are such a part of the classic Star Wars style, he would be mad not to use them ad nauseam. Which he will. Oh he will!
>>
>>63425063

they talk weird but you dont get that base snarky humor vibe, that's way too prevalent now, from it

which is what i meant
>>
>>63425020
>This movie is going to break all records, but nobody will remember it in 20 years.
probably, people will see it because it is Star Wars but it will never have the impact of ANH or ESB
>>
>>63423599
There's obviously a lot of big reasons why but people should consider that a Star Wars movie hasn't been in the hands of a great director since Empire.

I know that Disney approached Fincher for one of the new films and he turned them down. If he was doing TFA I'm sure he'd capture the tone far better than Jew Jew.
>>
>>63425249
You can already sense the sarcasm in this movie from the few lines of dialogue they've released.
>>
>>63425414
Dude it's the age of irony, get on the train bro.
>>
idk I haven't seen it yet
>>
>>63423699
Daisy Ridley is a coon?
>>
>>63425300
Finch was approached for ep7.

>“It’s tricky … My favourite is The Empire Strikes Back,” said Fincher. “If I said, ‘I want to do something more like that,’ then I’m sure the people paying for it would be like, ‘No! You can’t do that! We want it like the other one with all the creatures!’”

>Fincher said he saw the original trilogy as “the story of two slaves [C-3PO and R2-D2] who go from owner to owner, witnessing their masters’ folly, the ultimate folly of man…” He added: “I thought it was an interesting idea in the first two, but it’s kind of gone by Return Of The Jedi.”
>>
File: image.jpg (169 KB, 800x442) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169 KB, 800x442
It's apparently less baroque in its set design, the creatures look a lot alike, and it's clearly a kiddie movie. ESB was kind of a different story, as soon as you enter that world, you think, "they're not pulling any punches"
>>
>>63425566
>tfw no R2/3PO Wandering Story
That actually sounds inventive.
>>
>>63425300
Fincher wouldn't have had any power to change the story, he'd have been stuck with whatever script Disney wanted. he's the kind of director that would only want to do a Star Wars film if he could push some kind of boundary or subvert expectations, which simply wasn't going to be allowed this time.
>>
I am so much more excited for Rogue One than this.

Reason is I know exactly how this one will go down
>>
File: 1448404828474.jpg (60 KB, 535x800) Image search: [Google]
1448404828474.jpg
60 KB, 535x800
>What did they get wrong
The director
>>
>>63425669
>I am so much more excited for Rogue One than this.

just as planned! book your tickets now!

even if you don't like Rey Disney will still have a Star Wars film you'll be able to convince yourself could be better.

they might even intentionally make Rogue One and it's series of film the more "adult" series, with the main series being more for kiddies.
>>
>>63425739
I'm saying that now though, not after I've seen TFA
>>
>>63423599
its the camera and cinematography. it isn't using classic shoots like the originals and even the prequels.

like it or not but Lucas knows his shit. too bad about the writing though. JJ should not be directing this.
>>
>>63423885

The LOTR trilogy was a legitimate piece of artistic entertainment. Its not the highest form of cinema but a lot of work went into those movies and it shows.

There probably wont be any movies like LOTR for a long time since the greater effort needed doesnt mean more profit.
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 800x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 800x402
>>63425833
Yeah, George loves his tableau vivants, although they speed by pretty quickly. He likes positioning the camera way back for establishing shots, and when characters are walking.

JJ is shooting mainly very tightly, except when he pans over a group of X-Wings.
>>
>>63425638
Wasn't that Lucas' original thought when he created them?

Weren't they supposed to represent two characters that are found a lot in the old samurai movies, wandering from fracas to fracas?
>>
>>63424112
BSG did it better
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 784x560) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 784x560
>>63426004

https://youtu.be/VEH11VwC86A
>>
>>63425967
post a screenie
>>
One idea I haven't really heard discussed is the fact that The Force Awakens isn't going to face any adversity in production or push any boundaries.

Everyone knows about the trials and tribulations of A New Hope. Most great films were produced in spite of some frustration or trouble, whether it be money, direct production or even a general philosophical issue with the themes of the film.

The Force Awakens has been pumped out with no problems at all. It's totally safe in every way, it won't push anyone's buttons, challenge anyone's beliefs or come out as slice of an artists struggles to express themselves, or are story.

It's just safe and boring, and nobody cares about that.
>>
Rebels feels more star warsy than the force awakens.
>>
>>63426086
its the first star wars that feels like an after thought than an actual piece of a whole.
>>
>>63425926
I personally rate Avatar at the same level of LOTR, even slightly higher in terms of how even and consistent it is (except for the dialogue lmao). It really is about having an autistic director who is literally willing to bend heaven and earth to make the world of the movie feel like a real place. doing a movie like this has to be a personal crusade or there's almost no point.
>>
>>63426180
Probably have to disagree, although I appreciate where you're coming from.

I think The Phantom Menance feels the same as The Force Awakens - it's just something insignificant and unfounded coming after something genuinely noteworthy.

But you are right. The Force Awakens feels something tacked on.
>>
>>63426182
>I personally rate Avatar at the same level of LOTR

Why? Nothing alike in value or production. Avatar is an unoriginal mash of other people's work designed to appeal to as many people as possible.

LOTR sagged at the end but Fellowship is art.
>>
>>63424075
>new hyperspace jump
But it's the same.
>>
File: 88wLdRn.gif (2 MB, 316x235) Image search: [Google]
88wLdRn.gif
2 MB, 316x235
that's because it's going to be primarily an action sci fi rather than space opera

yes, every episode had a major battle, but the trailers and teasers just scream "DOGFIGHTS, LIGHTSABERS, EXPLOSIONS!" i hope i'm wrong but it's a movie tailored to the marvel crowd

i keep saying it and i'll say it again: mark hamill has stated this is a star wars for "a new generation." i'm sure all of you are intelligent enough to know what that really means
>>
File: image.jpg (272 KB, 1024x586) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
272 KB, 1024x586
The prequels seemed to opt for tighter shots than in the OT... Yet you still see how much George loves to get a wide, Brugelian perspective:

http://youtu.be/mp8tclJGGUo
>>
>>63425833
I pointed this out a while back. George is an old school filmmaker who will do establishing>shot>reverse shot for a normal scene. He doesn't really like throwing the camera around in the Star Wars films despite his background in experimental film and him being part of the energetic New Hollywood. His classic camera work is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age. Meanwhile, JJ's whole aesthetic rests on a more raw documentary style handheld with lens flares.
It even took until Attack of the Clones for George to incorporate handheld shaky cam and that was only for a few seconds of the battle. This scene demonstrates how George can visually do a lot with just a few shots and edits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hoXNXSpmng
>>
>>63423599

>entrusting Star Wars to jew jew after he completely missed the point of star trek and butchered those movies
>>
>>63426520
god damn it makes me mad when people call the prequels trash.
Are they extemely uneven? Yes.
Are they bland focus grouped blockbusters? No.
George really loves the art of film and it shows through in every movie he's made, from THX 1138 to Revenge of The Sith.
There are many moments in the prequels that are very powerful from a filmmaking perspective.
For better or worse(rlm pls go), no movies as big as the prequels will ever be made with that much freedom again, in this age of sterile, risk free blockbuster filmmaking.
>>
>>63423696
dat fucking nose
>>
>>63426738
The prequels will always be more imaginative, innovative and ambitious than anything Disneyfilm pump out from here. And that's why in my eyes the prequels will be better than the sequels. While I also believe they're on par in terms of filmmaking to the originals because of George. Though the dialogue in both trilogies is corny and weird and the ST feels very serious and drab in terms of dialogue I've heard so far. None of the characters even crack a smile.
>>
>>63426738
>sterile
>implying the prequels weren't sterile
Okay, Lucas ain't the absolute worst. But neither is he a competent film maker. He blew it 3 times in a row. There really is no point talking about this.
>>
>>63426889
>imaginative, innovative and ambitious
In this regard, you're right. Disney Wars will be recognition bait, no spark or charm or drama or value.
>>
>>63426894
Sterile doesn't mean what you think it means.

>>63426889
I have always thought that all six films were in the same ballpark, quality wise.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 370x277) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 370x277
>>63426894
His writing is probably the most barren aspect to the production. Any competent writer would have looked at the characters and said, hmmm:

>Anakin is pathos
>Obi-Wan is logos
>Qui-Gon is ethos

And then rewritten it around that trio, working up the group dynamic and dialogue until things clicked into place. George is definitely no Robert Bolt, but kids probably sense who these characters are anyway.
>>
>>63426961
Both of these statement are wrong.

>Sterile doesn't mean what you think it means.
I know exactly what sterile means. The prequels are sterile because there is no humanity to them. They are just things happening, with varying degrees of visual style.

Wasn't Lucas going for an epic theatre thing, with less focus on the characters and more on the wider plot? If so, he failed.

>I have always thought that all six films were in the same ballpark, quality wise.
If you haven't the ability to feel emotion, then yes. But the characters in the OT feel like they have a pulse. And in a space opera, that is very important.
>>
>>63426520
God damn those visuals look so much better than VII's. The only good shots I've seen from the trailers were Rey diving in the Star Destroyer, the Knights of Ren in the rain, and the slow pan past the crashed star destroyer.

Too much of it looks like a video game because the screen is so cluttered with junk and the steadicam shots look ridiculous.
>>
>>63427071
Not saying that mathematical approach to film is entirely without merit, and George was probably not thinking along these lines, but after seeing all these films try to distil and define everything and everyone in them, isn't more interesting to have character that just ARE, rather than characters that embody an idea?
>>
File: jowwksb.jpg (56 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
jowwksb.jpg
56 KB, 658x370
There's a reason people don't like the casting choice. And no I'm not some dindu meme shouting retard from r/pol.

But just look at him. He looks like the kind of guy who would stab your grandma for a dollar. That's why he's been cast in roles that reflect that.
>>
>>63426520
tfw you watch the EP1 trailers and they still have you feeling more excited than anything about TFW has.

And my god, has EP1's camerawork aged well...
>>
>>63427147
Not that anon, but isn't Star Wars inherently about abstracts like good and evil, old and new, light and dark?

The characters always felt part of a whole, extensions of the Force.
>>
>>63427075
The prequels are very emotional- I really, unironically think that the romance in episode 2 is one of cinemas all time greatest romances.
I'm not beeing contrarian just for the sake of it, I think the romance is so heart on it's sleeve intense that you're average human, who has chained their sincerity to the darkest dungeon of their mind, will reject it outright.
I think Hayden gives a gutwrenching performance of a man in agony.
>>
>>63427251
Yeah, hence my saying Jorge probably didn't mean it like that.
It's just something refreshing about the prequels for me, intentional or not.
>>
>>63423599
The lighting is a fucking MESS. its all over the place, and the cast seems terrible too. I already know the movie will be bad from the "QUAD JUMPAH" video. Fucking hell that chicks gonna stink
>>
>>63427177
Well he is an Imperial stormtrooper in the movie too?
>>
>>63427291
>It's just something refreshing about the prequels
What? The fact that there are characters that just are? You're refreshed by something that is true for the vast majority of movies?

Please explain.
>>
>>63426628
>>63426738

Ugh, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have to agree. Despite their inconsistencies, each of the prequels had their own utterly sublime scenes that felt as much like the OT as anything could. The podrace, the Maul duel, the chase with Slave 1 in the asteroid field, when Anakin slaughters the separatists, etc.

So far, every indication is that TFA is a mannerist hack-job with none of the true magic that Lucas and his quirks brought to the series.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6208708

http://strawpoll.me/6208708
>>
>>63427472
NOW THIS IS NOSTALGIAPOSTING!

I'll try saying Lucas is a misunderstood genius, that's a good trick!
>>
File: Straya_Cunt.png (85 KB, 361x333) Image search: [Google]
Straya_Cunt.png
85 KB, 361x333
>>63427253
There are moments when I wish all boards here had the flags, so that we could more easily root out the Strayans among us.

Reading this post, I'm having one of those moments
>>
>>63427442
...I feel that the prequels have more 'human' acting than most films out there.
I can't explain really other than to say I think George and I are kindred spirits in that we both might be on the spectrum.

But I think the CGI was better implemented than people give it credit for.
Watto is one of, if not the best performance by a pure CG character, and Dexter feels real in the sense that Lucas just has Him working at a diner like any old shmuck, he could be any race, he just happens to be a six limbed monstrosity.
And the way Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan interact with Watto and Dexter respectively, really sells you on that lived in world where aliens are common place. That lived in world that people say the prequels abandoned for CGI.
>>
>>63427632
I really wasn't shitposting, nor am I australian.
>>
>>63427652
My issue with the CGI in the prequels, especially in EPII and III, is that it was hideously inconsistent. Some characters, like Watto, Dexter, Grievous, etc were stunning pieces of digital art that still look fantastic over a decade later.

Others, like the clonetroopers, anything on Geonosis, the Yoda fight scenes, and R2D2 flying are so shit-tier that they look like they look like they came out of Xavier: Renegade Angel.
>>
>>63427713
You know, anon.... Every tear will be lost in the rain.

http://youtu.be/UmGu28VBXh8
>>
>>63427750
I wasn't even necessarily commenting on the realism of the CGI, but how well it was used to create a world.
Dexter actually doesn't look that great anymore imo, but he still feels real in the world, if that makes any sense.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYXfxWiBf4I

Like many others here, I have come to appreciate the prequels recently. There are masterpieces hidden behind George's pretty substantial mistakes.

But god damn, the scene above is really great. Just a little scene, but I love everything. Compare the look and feel of this to TFA.
>>
>>63426738
>Ultra-close up cut from grevious to mcgregor.webm
>>
>hehe racilism so reel clever, muh intelligence high
so many jawas on this site
>>
>>63427652
I actually somewhat agree. It's hard to explain, isn't it?

The dialogue is simple. It involves elements of the world. It progresses the story. No theatrics, just a means to an end.

I hate how characters speak in modern movies. Everyone is witty, with a nihilistic sense of irony.
>>
>>63427942
Is this some kind of Star Wars role-play meta shitpost?

????
>>
>>63423885
>>63424784

People haven't gotten dumber, the audience has changed. Hollywood cares far more about the international market today than it did then, and to reach out to as many as they can in today's hyper-diverse world their movie needs to be as broad and shallow as possible.

Every line needs to be easily translatable which is why most movie dialogue today seems so sterile and unmemorable. It is not geared towards you, it is geared towards ensuring that Radinesh in poo-land can grasp the basic plotline interspersed between cgi sequences and enjoy the movie. Lines like scruffy nerf herder, despite adding a hint of charm and immersion, take far more work than translating empty one-liners like "we need a pilot", which is why you'll never see lines like these in big budget cinema again.
>>
>>63427982
This. There's a reason why so many shitty sterile movies coming out these days.

And it's all about making movies that are easily digestible by the nips, nasheeds, and nachos after a halfassed dub job.
>>
>>63426738

>no movies as big as the prequels will ever be made with that much freedom again

Precisely because of the prequels, wouldn't you say? I actually agree that the prequels are much better than most give them credit for and I think we are going to see a big swing of the pendulum that way as the new movies come out and become the hip new thing to hate, but they were already if not good movies then certainly powerful individual artistic statements. I dare you to find me any other contemporary blockbuster with such a viciously negative view of America, for example.
>>
>>63427177
>not some meme spouting retard
careful, this is 4chan
>>
>>63427862
>people will watch this scene and then turn around and say m-muh OT
prequel hate is so fucking far out of left field it's baffling.
>>
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 640x480
>>63427862
George is kind of like those German nerds who obsess over model railways, but he had to go and play Civilization, and so the prequels felt more like the extended cutscenes to an RPG than anything else. It's like waiting seven hours for George to pass the PS4 controller.

They have found an audience at least.
>>
>>63426628

It looks like shit bro, almost south american soap opera tier.
This whole thread reads like revisionist shit.
>>
>>63423599
The "fun" tone feels very forced. It's a problem with every Marvel movie and Abram's Star Trek had the same thing.

Star Wars was fun in a way that's very low key, but of course Disney wouldn't understand that.
>>
>>63428139
It's 2:50 AM here, and I am unable to decipher your cryptic analogy. Please elaborate.
>>
>>63427862
>>63428110
What's good about this scene other than the music and Ewan? It's not a bad scene by any means, but it feels pretty perfunctory.
>>
>>63428297
Imagine something like this for Tattooine. Part model railway and part videogame.

http://youtu.be/ACkmg3Y64_s
>>
>>63428343
kek

Pretty compelling comparison. I can imagine George voicing over similar footage of Coruscant saying, "There's actually something like 10,000 ships on screen at one time".

If you're right, then what doesn't really make sense is this: why does he get the details wrong?
>Gungas
>Lasersword
>"1000 generations" in A New Hope, "1000 years" in Attack of the Clones

He speaks about the movies like he's a director who cares more about the characters than the details, yet his movies gloss over the charterers in favour of expanding the world and advancing the plot.
>>
>>63423599
ORANGE AND TEAL
>>
>>63423599
post yfw see this
>>
>>63428341
-Beautiful matte painting of the sky above the sinkhole city
-Beautiful music
-Dialogue heard farther back in the soundmix creates a sense of realism ("is he bringing additional warriors...")
-Obi-Wan slinking into the shadows
-Close up on Tion Medon, coupled with his eerie look, makes the tension rise
-Episode III, moreso than I and II, had absolutely fantastic lighting.
>>
>>63428584
That is one garbage set.
Looks straight out of the Star Trek original series.
>>
>>63428584
why are modern blockbusters so bad at merging cg and real sets and footage?

my brother was watching the avengers and at the end you have tons of cg with iron man flying around and it looks ok. then it cuts to captain america running around this set that just looks tiny and cut off from everything else. is it so hard to integrate the two?
>>
>tfw Lucas' prequel CGI destroys the meme man's handmade sets especially backgrounds
>>
>>63428584
>AAAAUUUUUUUGHGHHHGHH
>>
>>63428584
bravo daniel craig
>>
>>63428852
Do we know which Stormtrooper Craig is?
>>
>>63423599
I heard the black guy dies.

Does he?
>>
>>63428917
>>63428584
>>
>>63428974
sauce tho?
>>
>>63428584
Moving like that is so out of character for a stormtrooper
>>
>>63428983
Trust me
You'll see his face once the helmet slides off when finn offs him
>>
>>63427974
If you want to sound smart, compare it to Italian Neo-Realism. Non-actors giving lines as naturally as they could. The problem is that the prequels were not a cohesive whole, unable to choose between politics, action, adventure, war, heroism, melodrama, and naturalism. That's why most people don't like the prequels, anything that someone could decide was "good" in a vacuum doesn't appear to be intentional in the larger picture.
>>
File: 1438308609647.jpg (114 KB, 970x880) Image search: [Google]
1438308609647.jpg
114 KB, 970x880
>>63428917
WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?
>>
>>63429149
No, most people just can't think for themselves.
I'll *tip* myself out.
>>
>>63428525
Maybe they've had the Republic for 1000 generations, and have been battling Sith for the last 1000 years? Whatever

Lucas seems to care...You can't fault his rough layouts, composition, or his casting. Yet certain actors are underused, major characters are never introduced and many sets and scenes seem to breeze by without finding their correct tone. Then major plot points are savagely edited. It's very heartfelt yet ultimately it's more economical. Ironically, it's both too personal, and too broad.

It just lacks a relatable social dynamic. You'll notice that in Lucas's 'Star Wars' no understanding passes between anyone.
>>
>>63428584
Someone needs to make a gif of the hip wobble as his new toy rotates
>>
>>63428917
wait what? Craig is a stormtrooper?
>>
>>63429302
The cast of the new James Bond film visited the Star Wars set and played Stormtroopers in the big battle sequence.
>>
>>63428343
that's what I hated about the prequels, they put together a really good sci fi world that is hundreds of times better then my video games and then hand us just the worst characters and story ever...

Even as a kid you watch them and go... this is incoherent as shit why are these people acting like absolute retards
>>
>>63423672
I still like Star Wars, though. Even some parts of the prequels.
>>
>>63423599
Everyone is giving shit meme answers but I honestly just think its the filming and colorization of it. Its a lot brighter and with more "color", but it feels different from the old ones because of that. It feels a little too fantasy, with too much bloom.

So it comes off as less "realistic" looking because it looks like you're watching a fantasy movie and not a more natural recording or footage.

You can see the same thing with LOTR and the new Hobbit movies.
>>
File: for the fans.png (765 KB, 1000x1334) Image search: [Google]
for the fans.png
765 KB, 1000x1334
because its for the fans
>>
>>63429375
>comfirmed for pandering MCU tier trash
kill me pham
>>
>>63424812

So was Super 8
>>
File: 0Ow2bPvb.jpg (19 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
0Ow2bPvb.jpg
19 KB, 160x160
>>63429481
holy shit Super 8 was so fucking horrible
>mfw Steam teaser demo was better than whole goddamn movie
>>
>>63423696
indeed master robert tai was the right choice imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kduOPr7F9W8
>>
>>63429375

I wonder what is George's vision.
>>
>>63428584
What the fuck is he even doing?
>>
File: 1354952661781.jpg (45 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1354952661781.jpg
45 KB, 240x320
>>63423599
They fucked up a lot, the marketing is focused on pleasing SJW and gathering money for charities.
Ever new tvspot is just about - DUDE LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE.
I'm bailing, probably going to wait for CAM or smth, desu.
>>
>>63426182

> I personally rate Avatar at the same level of LOTR, even slightly higher

And you are wrong for doing so.

Avatar has some decent bits, but its ridiculously, painfully unoriginal and just totally cliche. Its got a universe and setting more interesting than the actual plot, which is atrocious, and most of the characters within seem really freaking stupid for people who should - considering their location on an alien planet and all - be the top men and women of earth.

Im not even a LOTR fan - tolkien was a geography and linguistics obsessed weirdo - but fellowship especially is an unarguable 10/10 masterpiece, where Avatar is a solid 7/10.
>>
>>63428343
hahahahha oh wow man Germans really are like that...
>>
>>63426182
Let's ignore the fact that LoTR came first, and is a major inspiration of almost EVERY fantasy series after it.

Do you know the shit JR Tolkien did to make Lord of the Rings? He made THE ELVISH FUCKING LANGUAGE

A NUANCED LANGUAGE

WITH FUCKING PARTIAL IMPERFECT TENSE

A GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT, COHERENT LANGUAGE

AND ON THE BASIS OF THAT LANGUAGE, AND SEVERAL OTHER FUCKING LANGUAGES, HE MADE THE HOBBIT

YES

HE WROTE THE LANGUAGE BEFORE THE FUCKING STORY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_constructed_by_J._R._R._Tolkien

BEFORE THE FUCKING PREQUEL STORY TO THE LORD OF THE RINGS, HE WROTE A LANGUAGE

HE WROTE A FUCKING GIGANTIC BACKSTORY, TOO

WITH GODS, AND DEMONS, AND ANGELS, AND SHIT THAT MAKES THE THEOGENY LOOK LIKE AMATEUR HOUR

AND ONLY THEN

ONLY AFTER CREATING SEVERAL FUCKING LANGUAGES

DID HE WRITE THE PREQUEL

YES

THE FUCKING PREQUEL

TO THE LORD OF THE RINGS

AND HERE YOU ARE

YOU FILTHY, FUCKING PLEBIAN

TRYING TO TELL ME THAT TENZIN INFO DUMPING A CORNY COMIC BOOK VILLAIN BACKSTORY

IS THE SAME CALIBER OF WRITING

AS THE MAN

WHO MADE

SEVERAL

FUCKING

LANGUAGES

KILL YOURSELF

SERIOUSLY

KILL YOUR FUCKING SELF

SOMEONE PUTS EFFORT INTO SOMETHING AND CREATES A MASTERPIECE, AND YOU SEE IT THE SAME AS THE SHIT A 9-5ER SPEWED OUT IN A WRITER'S ROOM
>>
>>63427750
>Xavier: Renegade Angel
great stuff
>>
>>63427253
What makes you think so?
>>
As much as people criticize episode 1, it's the most Star Wars feeling movie of the prequels. Yea the plot makes no sense but the sets, music, not having insane amounts of cgi like episide 2 and 3 make it feel more like the OT to me.
>>
>>63430746
is this autism?
>>
>>63429481
Only the second half. The first half was great.

So he can direct. But that script though, that's to blame for Super 8.
>>
>>63430746
+1
>>
>>63429375

Has George Lucas been broken?
>>
>>63426520
>>63426738
It is sad in a lot of ways. Yeah, there are a lot of things about the prequels that are shit (not gonna bother listing them), but remember that before they came out what we were used to the SW universe looking like.

The prequels at the very least did something well; show us this grand republic that we knew so little about. We had only ever seen the empire that came after its fall. Compare those first shots of Naboo to anything in the OT. Compare Princess Amidala's sleek chrome ship to the ugly, functional shitboxes used by the rebels in the OT. There is some really great visual storytelling in there. Its a shame that people forget about it because of all the bad bits.
>>
>>63426520

You know, 7 just seems off compared to the rest. The tone is different. Maybe it's because it follows the original three in that video instead of the prequals, but it just doesn't have that exciting feel to it.
>>
>>63426738
>Scatter a few alright shots here and there
>Otherwise shot/reverse all day erry day
>Fuck the characters and story
Masterpiece
>>
>>63423885

Called having a good actor.

Guess what doesn't hit mainstream anymore...

All the good actors are in TV series now.
>>
The two main new protagonists are a woman and a black man

I am fucking sorry but we all know what the intention is here
>>
>>63431342
He actually compared it to a bad breakup. I feel like if these films do bad enough, they'll invite him back into Star Wars. I highly doubt he would want masters to answer too
>>
>>63423802
>It's a manufactured, easily digestable product that really only serves to get people hype for the next movie

Ah so they're going the MCU route to make the same boring ass, cookie cutter movie every time.
>>
>>63432125
Given that both are owned by the same company, I should say yes. Which is a fucking shame because star wars would make an ocean of money for disney even if it was the complete opposite.
>>
>>63431352
The thing is, George never really showed a "decline" into the chrome ships to the clunkers. He had three movies to do so. We are left to assume that happens in 20 years between trilogies, and it made them feel uneven.
>>
>>63430964
I keep saying this, to anyone who will listen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, senpai
>>
>>63429375

George's vision has never been the problem.

The biggest issue with the prequels was a bad script & direction. He should have just been a producer
>>
>>63430746
lol
>>
>>63426075
boss, thanks
>>
>>63432205
I guess. There is a gap between the two trilogies, but I feel like that's intentional. We were introduced to this evil empire thing, and knew it supplanted something better. Then we got the prequel trilogy, that showed us that something better, and the beginning of its end. The gap in between kinda works for me, but I can see how it wouldn't for others.
>>
File: 1417204000149.jpg (24 KB, 300x361) Image search: [Google]
1417204000149.jpg
24 KB, 300x361
Lucas did nothing wrong.
>>
>>63432074

Is there a source on that?
I didn't care about him until now but he seems to be taking it pretty badly
>>
>>63430746
Goood gooood let the hate flow through you
>>
>>63432380

He may have gone too far in a few places
>>
>>63432275
I'd say true. And good question is... why did he want that level of control, when he was so wise to relinquish it before, after ANH?
>>
>>63428173
did you read that article where said that's what he was going for?
I know "that's what he was going for" gets you smacked here, but...what if it's true?
>>
>>63432389
http://screenrant.com/george-lucas-star-wars-break-up/
>"When you break up with somebody, the first rule is no phone calls. The second rule, you don’t go over to their house and drive by to see what they’re doing. The third one is you don’t show up at their coffee shop and say you are going to burn it… You just say ‘Nope, gone, history, I’m moving forward."
>>
>>63432422
I think he wanted to prove to himself that the roaring success wasn't a fluke or the product of other people's meddling and that he could still direct a good movie, Unfortunately he failed.
>>
>>63427177
>implying he's typecast as a thug
>show's the one movie where that's the role he's playing as proof
m80
>>
>>63428584
Lets play a game: is that a clip from the new Star Wars movie or the latest power rangers episode?
>>
>>63432545
Tommy is cooler than this faker
>>
>>63428584
why is he doing that? He isn't even a special storm trooper
>>
>WAHH it's nothing like the OT. Where's my melodramatic BANTER
>JewJew Dellivers
>WAHH it's too operatic and cheesy. What do you think star wars is, some kind of opera set in space?

/tv/ everyone
>>
>>63428670

nice b8 m8
>>
>>63432623
I think that's what bothers me the most about it. If they had given him a special costume and said he was part of Captain Phasma's elite or Kylo Ren's honor guard or something, I'd be able to forgive it

but I just don't believe that the common Stormtrooper would be given an anti-lightsaber weapon or be skilled in swordplay. It makes Finn look weak as fuck too, since he's gonna struggle (and likely lose) to some random joe
>>
>>63428584
>How do I use this thi-
>woAHOAHOHAHAOH
>ok I got it

inb4 hi leddit
>>
>>63432704

I hope Finn doesn't become a fucking Jedi and only Rey does.

Rey gives my jedi feels.
>>
>>63432623
>>63432704
My guess is that they threw it in as a response to the common opinion that stormtroopers are useless.

>>63432772
I hope neither of them do. That would be one hell of a twist, so of course it isn't happening, but I can dream.
>>
>>63427982

Completely this. The international market is even stupider than your average American moviegoer. They are so blown away by American CGI that a plot only needs to barely even be hinted at and they will watch the movie in droves.
>>
>>63424039
>Star Wars Prequels did this to but OP doesn't include them because it hurts his argument
>>
>>63423599

Does it bother anyone else that the red lightsaber and the staff are on the same exact line, just a little bit apart from each other? It's like they're supposed to be the same thing except they're not.
>>
>>63424037
die faggot
>>
>>63432891
it's because Kylo Ren and Rey are either siblings or cousins, they're meant to be reflections of one another
>>
>>63428584
>It's Morphin' Time!
>>
>>63432959
Looks like poetry isn't dead yet
>>
>>63423599
let me make list.

-color grading is that of a marvel movie
-editor worked on Amazing spider man
-cinematographer is shit
-Camera work is fucking off, contain many curved moving shot as opposed to spaghetti western style tracking or still shot with the occasional panning shot or zoomed out medium shot for dialogue exchange.
-Because of cinematography and color grading the cgi looks noticable and practicals somehow look like CGI.
-relies on old trilogy nostalgia
-offers nothing new
-GREY SKIES AND MUTED COLORS!!!! LETS LOOK LIKE AN INDY WAR MOVIE MADE WITH A SONY HANDICAM AND PREMIERE PRO!!!
-shitty actors
-all locations are the same boring shit we;ve seen before, deserts, woodland of the north west. OH LOOK FOREST WITH SNOW!!! Lame.
-looks like a pieced together fan film
-has none of that good old 70s-80s grit that made that era unique to look at.
-they didnt hire george miller.

-and will NOT have anything as good as this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE1nL4xFOfM
>>
>>63432874
No it doesn't. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>63423599
No stars in any of the trailers
>>
File: 4316893_640px.jpg (55 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
4316893_640px.jpg
55 KB, 640x853
>>63423599
>Luke, did I ever tell you these were your father's droids? We went on wild adventures together for over 3 years in the Clone Wars, and the little one even saved me from a swarm of buzz droids, yet I somehow don't recognize them anymore. They were good friends.
>Luke, did I ever tell you that while your father was training on Coruscant, C-3PO served your family (Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, Grandma Shmi, Grandpa Cliegg) for nearly 10 years? Somehow, your uncle didn't recognize Threepio when he returned to family's service.
>Hey Luke, did I ever tell you that all Jedi used to dress like homeless moisture farmers the same as I do, despite that still dressing like a Jedi is no good way to hide from Empire? It was a good robe though.
>Come here, Luke, today we will be training with this practice droid while you wear this helmet to blindfold yourself. You would think this was an impromptu training procedure, but no, we did this to younglings all the time and even built them special mini helmets. Right now you are literally worse than a child, Luke, like the ones your father killed with that lightsaber you are holding. He was a good friend.
>You must go to Dagobah, Luke, and seek out Yoda, the Jedi Master who trained me — well, actually, he's A Jedi Master who trained me. Before I moved up to Liam Neeson's service, I was one of the 20 younglings who went to Yoda's class every tuesday and thursday back in youngling school inbetween Jedi chemistry class and lunchtime. Nothing remarkable or mystic to our relationship at all. He was just my teacher who handed out droids and youngling-sized helmets to the class. Also, all his deep seemingly spur of the moment lessons and teachings from a true master are all fairly common Jedi sayings that he just butchers with his ghetto way of talking. A good friend, he was.
>>
>>63433016
>-color grading is that of a marvel movie

motherfucking this

it looks like every other fucking blockbuster. what's the point in shooting on film and bragging about it when your grade it to shit.
>>
>>63424039
>>63424112
>>63426065
Hell even Man of Steel did it better by focusing on one object amidst a bunch of shit and not doing that HARD snap in.
>>
>>63424812
you haven't even seen this new star wars.
>>
>>63433016
>>63433101
It's hard to describe, but it seems that most movies nowadays are shot in what I can only describe as "30FPS", whereas 00s and before movies looked more "60FPS".

Not particularly bad or good, just an observation.
>>
>>63433016
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
File: 1447966586294.jpg (39 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1447966586294.jpg
39 KB, 500x334
this movie is going to suck

i can't wait for the memes
>>
>>63433176
The only person that has got cancer from it, what does that tell you?
>>
I WANT THIS TO BE STAR WARS
>>
>>63425833
>>63425967
>>63426628
>>63427472
>>63426738
>>63433016

Holy fuck, is /tv/ actually discussing cinematography and technical aspects of film?

and with intelligence!?

And actually complimenting lucas?

Holy fuck, JJ ABrams is so bad he made /tv/ reasonable and intelligent!
>>
>>63423599

They're trying to fit too much into one movie.

You got the gathering of the heroes, the reveal of the bad guy, Finn's backstory, Rey's backstory, That Pilot Guy's backstory, dumb droid shenanigans, and some psuedo death star. No Luke, Chrome Stormtrooper, and a shit ton of exposition.

All in one 2 hour 15 minute movie.
>>
>>63430746
gb2reddit lol
>>
>>63433231
no he died right after. That tells a lot more.
>>
File: 1448943351153.gif (502 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1448943351153.gif
502 KB, 160x160
>>63433231
>The only person that has got cancer from it.
>>
>>63433080
I love benposting

>Luke did Iever tell you about my 3 year rivalry with General Grievous? He was an omnicidal 4 armed lightsaber wielding monster who wanted to cut down any jedi who crossed him. He was a ruthless creature who I ended when I shot him six times and made his eyes explode. He was a good friend.

>Luke did I ever tell you about your mother Padme Amidala? She literally gave up on living the second she saw your face and was the Yoko Ono of the Jedi order. And she too was a good friend.
>>
>>63433281
>and was the Yoko Ono of the Jedi order.
kek
>>
File: Kraken_attacks_18_Davy_Jones.png (250 KB, 638x267) Image search: [Google]
Kraken_attacks_18_Davy_Jones.png
250 KB, 638x267
>>63428769
the lack of orange.

no really. the color grading is focused on muting warm and bright colors. Thats why all the movies look like they're in the north west forest of washington.

no red, yellows, or oranges are let out, which fucks up the human eye because literally everything in sunlight and earth tone has those colors in them.

So organic stuff looks like rubber and shit and cgi looks like pixels.

they need that orange to blend.

case in point, davy jones blends very wel and has quite a bit of orange for a green man.

but then instead of only muting a color, they add mother fucking contrast so it looks even worse.
>>
>>63430510
Avatar is a microcosm of what film has become. bastardized.
>>
>>63430746
auspie sperg....yes

wrong? fuck no.
>>
>>63433249
Well I always liked Georges filmmaking but whenever I express it on the swg board or sw reddit I'm shot down with "go to bed george" and stuff like that. All 6 movies are masterfully filmed and are the real deal when it comes to star wars. TFA will be a cheap generic knock off, popcorn schlock picture that will get drooling praise from every 'nerd' on social media. For the first quarter of 2016 my ears will bleed listening to the constant shilling and praise.
>>
>>63433021
There are 7 zooms in the Prequels. I counted.
>>
>>63433185
older films are shot in 24fps or 24p

video is 30fps

however since older films used...well...film and didnt use a shit ton of color grading you got very nice looking natural light or creative lighting outside fo the editing rooms.

>>63433649
aside from the shot reverse shot stuff from the prequel due to over use fo green screen, George actually does know his shit.

he just got a few too many toys and lost track of shit.

TFA will be awful.

i mean"the force awakens"
does that even sound star wars to you?
>>
>>63427472
>the chase with Slave 1 in the asteroid field
Fuck M8!!! I knew I wasn't the only one that thought this was fucking good.
>>
File: 1400985439735.jpg (202 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1400985439735.jpg
202 KB, 717x880
>staring a nigger and female

that's where they fucked up

>>63433649
pic related
>>
>>63433697
What's worse is the name sounds self aware. Like they called it that because it's been 40 years since the originals and they've made the force dormant even though that's impossible because it's an energy field. The whole notion of the force awakening is worse than midichlorians which I don't even hate. I'd take the old EU books word with what happened after RoTJ I mean george even quoted once he was going along the same lines as the books with luke, leia and hans kids. His vision would have felt more organic because he only wants to continue the story. KK just wants to please the fans who think they know what star wars is when they don't. George actually fucking knows and no one listens to him. The media have always hated him for being different so naturally it feels like the whole world's against him and anyone who dares oppose disneys vision for the saga.
>>
>>63423599
You haven't seen it yet though, my son

>>63423672
>Posting this bad meme on a catalog site for Malaysian stop-motion
>>
>>63433743
I knew that reddit mention would bite me in the ass -.-
>>
>>63433862
So what was George Lucas planning?
>>
>>63423599
I'd love to be proven wrong and get a classic Star Wars film. But is there a shred of evidence to suggest it will be a classic?

The trailer? There were some neat shots, but lots of shitty films had exciting trailers. Phantom Menace immediately springs to mind.

The writers? JJ has never written a truly great script. I'd argue the closest he came was the breddy gud script for "Regarding Henry", but that was flukey and happened decades ago.

Kasdan wrote two classic films, Empire and Raiders, but he's been in deep freeze (or a Big Chill, as it were) for decades. The last project he worked on was a Diane Keaton weepy flop called "Darling Companion".

The director? Again, JJ has done nothing new, inventive, or enduring in his career. His films have a fun pace and lots of kinetic energy, but they're merely above average for an action director. He doesn't seem to have the genius eye of Spielberg or the imagination of young Lucas.

All in all, you're basing your prediction on nothing more than hope. Which is okay I guess, because I'm hoping too... But I don't expect anything other than a nostalgic, fast-paced romp through the Star Wars universe.

If you're hoping for the magic discovery of A New Hope or the spiritual depth of Empire, I'm afraid you're likely to be disappointed.

Just go in hoping for fun, which is what I'm hoping we get after the dreary death march that was the prequel era.
>>
All the people thinking sales=quality

Sales doesn't equal quality but it does show market value and penetration for the grand star wars legacy that will follow.

Be fucking honest, we live in a world where the new battle front doesn't have space battles. We live in a world where diversity= proper casting. We live in a world where we need to reinvent the fucking astromech Droid (fucking Roly poly bb8)

This is a shifty world where marketing and the bottom line take precedent, where art and corporations have United. Our culture is melting. Disintegrating into a mash of tasteless porridge *thank you massa for the porridge*

The music is dead, the art is uninspired, the battles are terror.

The revolution will come. There will come a time when society can't take this brain bending world anymore and their minds won't be satiated by YouTube and Netflix. They'll cry for true culture and inspired artists and they'll overthrow Prince Mickey and Aunt NBC.
>>
>>63433525
Pirates has aged fucking magnificently
>>
>>63430746
It's been a while since I've seen this pasta

I miss /tg/
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.