[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There was an anon on here yesterday spamming this movie, so I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10
File: A-History-of-Violence.jpg (140 KB, 300x429) Image search: [Google]
A-History-of-Violence.jpg
140 KB, 300x429
There was an anon on here yesterday spamming this movie, so I caved and watched it, and boy am I glad I did.

Most underrated movie of all time.
>>
Jesus Joey
>>
>>63422852
>HE COST HIM ALOT. BROHEEM.
>>
>>63422803
I've never seen a film capable of switching between deadly serious scenes one moment and laugh out loud humour the next like this one.

"There is one thing you could do. You could die Joey."

"HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP?!!"

The film is amazing.
>>
>>63422803
>movie met with critical acclaim
>praised by edgelords
>most underrated film of all time
>>
Overrated. It's fine noir/genre film, nothing special.

Maps and Cosmopolis are way better
>>
>>63422803
It's a fun flick
>>
Great movie, but wew lad that fucking poster
>>
>>63422803
I don't know if it is "the most underrated film of all time" but it certainly up there.

The cast was perfectly chosen though.

I'd say it's in the top 5 most underrated films of all time.
>>
>>63422803

what in the fuck are you knobs talking about? underrated by who exactly? by the people on this board who talk mostly about Star Wars and Lord of the Rings? History of Violence is immensely respected by people who actually like film (it's usually considered one of Cronenberg's best) and it's got a very strong reputation in the critical community. Just because your friends and people on this board don't love it doesn't make it underrated. Cahiers du cinema ranked it in its top 10 of the decade for fuck sake.
>>
>>63422803
Please don't trivialize this film by turning it into a meme. I fucking swear
>>
maria bello has some lovely feetsies
>>
It really is a masterpiece, but it's a respected movie.

It's one of my personal favorites.
>>
Maria Bello has toes like kstew, just a bit bigger and milfier. Her immaculate sole game is stunning
too.

>would service 100 BBCs to worship/10
>>
well the stairs sex scene was GOAT but other than that quite unremarkable movie
>>
doesnt look that underrated
>>
>>63426650
>go to a Star Trek thread
>everybody posting qts and shit
>a man has needs
>oh, a thread about base Viggo
>I see this shit

Nigga... you make me hurt
>>
File: 1438646219336.jpg (38 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1438646219336.jpg
38 KB, 413x395
Remember when the screenwriter of this released some article telling people not to give him his scripts to read because they're probably dog shit, but then Cronenberg came out and said he re-wrote about 90% of the movie and that HIS draft was completely awful?
>>
>>63426650

>Anon! What are you pointing that camera at? You have to ask permission first!
>>
>>63422803
thought this shit was a documentary about a violent person when I was little tbhqh family
>>
>>63424654
>Cosmopolis
Fuck you!
>>
>>63427035

you're saying fuck you to Cosmopolis but not to Maps?

that being said, Cosmopolis is fantastic and Maps to the Stars is possibly the worst Cronenberg movie. History is better than both though.
>>
I can't watch this show because I watched it when I was a kid and my brother kept rewinding that sex scene on the stairs way too many times.
>>
>>63426771
Don't tell these people about how based Star Trek threads are, they'll all ruin them and we'll have to ramp up the Ferengiposting to get them out, like we did with Weyounposting.
>mfw
>>63422803
>underrated
It's by definition not underrated. Great, but not underrated.
>>63427029
>when I was little
You have to be 18 to post on 4chan
>>
File: film-dangerousmethod-viggo.jpg (96 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
film-dangerousmethod-viggo.jpg
96 KB, 500x250
>>63427106

And how did that make you feel?

>>63427088
>History is better than both though.

I can't imagine how. If you prefer it, that's cool, but MttS and Cosmopolis are much more substantial, creative, challenging, and ultimately edifying.
>>
>>63427163

I have no idea how there are people out there that actually prefer MttS. It is so tonally imbalanced and superficially obvious. All of the worthwhile shots in Cosmopolis that isolated characters in space are recycled in Mtts to just gratuitous effect that speaks more to the movie's absence of ideas than anything profound it has to offer. The whole script feels incredibly dated and the movie just feels like a tv melodrama that only has cerebral considerations in mind at the expense of making a watchable movie. History of Violence is one of Cronenberg's most intellectually satisfying movies while also offering a compelling entertainment that is significant as a means of delivering its thematic content
>>
>>63427588

Well i appreciate the insightful response. I liked it, saw all the praise it gets here, rewatched it to see what I missed the first time, and still only just liked it. The intellectual angle escapes me but it's a solid, tense noir/pulp kinda film for me.

MttS isn't subtle, i'll give you that, but I like the schlock value and ridiculousness of it. An indictment of Hollywood incestousness but also some sort of dream factory fairytale gone awry like Mulholland Drive. Moore's amazing, as is Mia W and even that kid actor.

I also get what you're saying about Cosmopolis' "absence of ideas," I don't think it's all that deep and mostly appreciate it as a jarring filmic, sensory experience. Its screenplay, and direction to match, kept me off balance.
>>
>>63422941
A HELL OF A LOT
>>
>JOEY
>>
>>63422803
That scene where he fucks her on the stairs always gives me the most uncomfortable boner.

Still a fuckin' stellar film.
>>
File: sadasd.png (431 KB, 833x657) Image search: [Google]
sadasd.png
431 KB, 833x657
Was it rape?
>>
>>63428458
>>63428473
>shamebonermind
>>
>>63428083

I actually like Cosmopolis quite a lot. In all fairness I went into Maps to the Stars after getting hyped about it 6 months prior and then going back and watching every single Cronenberg movie. My hype levels were at overdrive. I will watch it again at some point but I think I just felt like it was retreading ground that Mulholland had covered and I also don't like movies that force the viewer to sit through a group of shallow, unpleasant individuals as a means of conveying just how shallow these people/this type of existence actually is. It just felt kinda easy to me or something. I liked Pattinson in it though, he's surprisingly got some chops.
>>
>>63426425

10/10

Would suck, cum on and lick up
>>
Top 3 Cronenberg

The Fly
History of Violence
Deadzone

Videodrome is great but overhyped
>>
>>63426986

>red
>>
>>63428709

>no Brood

the fuck mate?
>>
>>63422803
underrated does not mean 'I haven't heard of this good movie until now'
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.