[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a more divisive season in television history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: thewarwaslost.jpg (1 MB, 1519x2250) Image search: [Google]
thewarwaslost.jpg
1 MB, 1519x2250
Has there ever been a more divisive season in television history than True Detective season two?

Some say its complete shit, others say its better than season one.

What camp do you fall into?

But the answer is the latter
>>
File: 1443373625038.png (480 KB, 767x419) Image search: [Google]
1443373625038.png
480 KB, 767x419
>>63420471
Personally, i loved the ending of season 2 and thought it went pretty well.The gay guy was a pointless character and vince vaughn gave the best performance. i want to rewatch it soon with the bae ;-)
>>
green paint = green ears

~thread
>>
>>63420568
>The gay guy was a pointless character

God warrior was more useful than McAdams anyway

Ray for best
>>
>>63420471
7/10 good acting effort by Vince and Colin and the girl, but really slow middle with a disappointing end to the mystery. Some good moments in the ending saved it for me.
>>
>>63420471
>Has there ever been a more divisive season in television history than True Detective season two?

Breaking Bad season six.
>>
>>63420775
>Breaking Bad season six

How so?

Most liked that
>>
No one unironically thinks it is better than Season 1. There are some contrarian who do, and they are literally the most pretentious people in the world.
>>
>>63420775
no, you just spend too much time on /tv/.
>>
>>63420820

This
>>
I think it's good on its own, without a constant comparison to season one. I don't think Pizza had enough time to write it and his bosses at HBO wanted a second season ASAP and this is what we got. A rushed season that appeared to be all over the place at first glance. He had 6-8 years to work on season one, just as a point of reference.

On a second watch, it is just as deep as the first season, with all sorts of underlying themes and symbolism that don't really stand out until you watch it in marathon mode.

Could it have been better? Was there needless scenes? Was the mystery over complicated at times? Was season 1 better as a whole. Yes on all counts.
>>
So, how would you guys fix season 2?
>>
>>63421028

Remove one of the Detectives, Vinces wife and Osep. Remove McAdams forest subplot.

Condense the plotlines a lot
>>
>>63420471
First season is overrated and second season is underrated. That said, the second season was still pretty bad.
>>
>>63420471
it gave us vinceposting i think its perfect
>>
>>63421028
Make it a morality play centered around the Mexican cartel/border wars. Velcoro and Frank are the two main characters. Less scenes focusing on relationship drama. Woodrugh isn't a cop he's a member of Ares/Black Mountain doing dark shit on both sides of the border. Bezzerides is Rays literal partner on and off the force.
>>
>>63420820
>>63420903
>these plebs
back to reddit
>>
I feel like I was entertained while watching it and kind of looked forward to it every week, but I wouldnt want to watch it again. I wouldnt recommend it to my friends either.
>>
>>63420980
>implying Pizzalatto actually writes anything and doesn't just steal other writers' work
>>
>>63421382
>implying hes the first and only guy to steal something from someone else in the entertainment world

shit happens all the time faggot, good artists copy, great ones steal
>>
"I paid for fucking avocado trees and now you tell me they can't grow?" - Frank.

I still have the show on my hard drive. The whole show in retrospect is hilarious to me. Every scene now takes me back to a /tv/ meme. It was okay but not even in the same universe as season 1 (I have a feeling that it won't hold up years from now). Colin Farrell deserves an Emmy. Still don't get why Stabby got to live (don't say it was because she fucking pregnant).

Also, seeing Ray's kid on Fresh Off The Boat gives me feels ;_;
>>
Well Season 2 was objectively better, I think it's also /tv/ consensus... Frank's death scene alone trumps the whole Season 1...
>>
>>63420471
I enjoyed it, it was pretty good. It looked pretty realistic sometimes, as shit can hit the fan and your squad will be shot apart, and in the sam time pretty unreal, as the main characters were the only survivors, or that every one of them had som relationship to the bad guys.

And in the end the feel that the whole show was a waste of time' cause everybody died,
>>
Objectively I feel season 2 was much weaker but for some reason it hit me much harder emotionally. The ultimate futility of it all. The pointless struggles.
>>
>>63421642
>Frank's death scene alone trumps the whole Season 1...

I thought that whole scene was fuckin stupid
>>
>>63421028

Watch the 2nd season of Murder In The First. Its "Union" storyline is basically what Pizza was going for except the writers actually follow through.
>>
>>63421770
I think you got lost, newfriend.
Here's the way home:
>>>/reddit/
>>
Episode 7 was fucking great
>>
>>63421884

>you dont like this shit scene in a shit tv show
>go back to le reddit xDDD

Fuck off
>>
>>63420775
Neither season is actually divisive.

*Outside* of /tv/, most people disliked TD S2 and most liked BrBa S5B. You mean to say they're divisive *on /tv/*.

Granted, BrBa's last season is pretty shit, and one of the most overrated things in recent memory, and TD's S2 is decent, just not as good as the first.
>>
>>63421948
back to reddit
>>
>>63422015
lol, give me one good reason why BrBa S5B isn't fucking awesome
>>
File: paul woodrugh.png (653 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
paul woodrugh.png
653 KB, 1000x600
>>63420471
I liked it overall, but it had its faults.
Mostly with the story, when we got to the bare bones of it it was good, but they tried to do so much and mash them all together it got pretty lackluster. They could have done without a lot of things
>her dads cult
really thought that was going to be a bigger issues. Her father could have just been a dead beat who associated with the other antagonists and nothing would have changed
>the sex trafficking
we were supposed to feel bad for them? The girls themselves didn't care and were going with it, but they raid the house and kill some people. If they were kidnapping and forcing people into it that would have been different. Blake could have tried to fuck over Frank in other ways with better pay off to it tying in with the detectives
>all the characters had back stories
we didn't see them or didnt care enough. Paul with his mom, Annie had an affair with her partner that we see like twice

If they tried to trim down the story and flesh everything out it would have been better, but I think pizza hut was just trying to show off. I like the neo noir idea they went for instead of another serial killer story
>>
>>63420471
I liked it more than Season 1. So many good scenes.
>>
>>63422118
>I like the neo noir idea they went for instead of another serial killer story
I loved that the world presented was unfiltered hardcore neo-noir, right down to Frank's dialogue, which to the untrained eye is absurd and almost cringeworthy, but is something right out of a classic noir movie.

>her dads cult
Specifically his mention of "Chessani's lodge", I definitely thought this was going to play out in a heavily Freemasonic/Bohemian Grove type conspiracy

>the sex trafficking
I thought was going to tie directly into the Chessani's lodge/Bohemian Grove angle

>all the characters had back stories
I felt too much time was wasted every episode reiterating the character's backstories. Ani had a troubled child hood because of her hippy parents. Frank had a troubled childhood because his dad was a single parent alcoholic who beat him. Wooodrugh was all mixed up inside because of some sketchy shit with his mom, he thought he was gay but didn't want to be. Ray was all emasculated by the perceived rape of his wife leading to a child that might not be his, everything he did was on overcompensation for that rape. Great, I got it after the first few scenes in the first couple episodes. I don't need it repackaged and spoonfed to me every week.

There was just too much going on, too much fat and not enough episodes/scenes. This season should have definitely been longer, each episode and the season as a whole. Or there should have been much more trimmed out.
>>
File: td205_0369.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
td205_0369.jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
What were the best moments, lads?

Pic related was my favourite scene.
>>
>>63422073
It's superficial, the characters are paper thin and the acting is amateurish outside Walt/Cranston, it relies on lowest-common denominator hooks like cliffhangers, machine guns, one-liners, and neo-nazies, they repurposed subplots from earlier seasons (mostly Jesse vs. Walt issues), the melodrama was usually contrived and superficial.

It's just clearly superficial "entertainment" that's exciting or tense at best, but offers nothing compelling other that the occasional thrill or "epic" moment.
>>
>>63420775
I don't think people had such an issue with it as they had with Season 5.
>>
>>63422386

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-aTMmhsBZ4

This for the hilarity and based Colins reaction

I really liked the scene with Vaughn and Blake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okTq8_LUxNs
>>
File: td203_0294.jpg (65 KB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
td203_0294.jpg
65 KB, 1280x718
Fuck it smells like PISS!
>>
>>63422452
>It's just clearly superficial "entertainment" that's exciting or tense at best

And what the hell is wrong with that?
>>
>>63423341
>lel dude the shootouts and one liners and ebig cliff hangers and badass characters are what make the show so fuggin awesum dude :^)
>>
I just thought it was another excellent season in what should be a continuing series, as long as the autists don't get their way.
>>
I don't think it was better than 1 but I also don't think it deserved nearly the amount of shit it got
>>
>>63423341
Nothing. But it's all legit criticism to counter the idea that BrBa is 10/10, le GOAT, and other hyperbole that people use.
>>
>>63423700
Breaking Bad jumped the shark in season two. Anyone trying to say its legitimately good television after that point deserves to be mocked and ridiculous on an anonymous cantonese noodle image sharing forum.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.