[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
did literally nothing wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3
File: hal9000.jpg (61 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hal9000.jpg
61 KB, 1920x1080
did literally nothing wrong
>>
did exposure to the monolith make hal truly sapient like it did the monkeymen?
>>
Someone wanna redpill me on this movie?

Other than some really great looking sequences I thought it was a piece of shit.

The entire movie was building up to something and I was glued to my seat with awe and anticipation and then nothing happened and it ended.

Redpill me please.
>>
>>63403768
>>63403828
These two fucking things so hard. Hal was just protecting himself from Dave's asshole friend who wanted to deactivate him. Sure he may have taken it a bit too far by killing the others but what would you expect from something that's JUST gained sentience.
>>
I cried when Dave went to take out his motherboards. I didn't feel like it was fair and Hal sounded so scared.
>>
>>63403892

A human met some aliens and they uplifted him to a more advanced stage.

All of the rest is just window dressing.
>>
>>63403971
>>63403991
>A human met some aliens
That's what I assumed but I got lost somewhere. He was just flying through space when suddenly he was entering another dimension. Then he experienced a lifetime inside of a few moments and was reincarnated or something?

Where were the aliens? What were the monoliths? What did anything in the movie have to do with anything?

I loved it so much til like, the last 10 minutes and realized it was going nowhere.

But maybe I'm just retarded? I dunno.
>>
>>63403923
>>63403959
Someone tries to kill me and fails, I'm going to kill them if I can. Also, what other choice did Dave have? Let HAL continue to operate the ship and (likely) try to kill him again?
>>
>>63404117
Negotiate and come to an understanding
>>
>>63404117
but anon, he feels better now
>>
>>63403923
What makes you think Hal gained sentience? That's not the reason behind him killing people, don't you remember the little message right before Dave gets told about the true nature of the mission? HAL was ordered not to allow anyone on the crew to know about the true nature of the mission, yet was also ordered to relay all information accurately. These conflicting orders are what drove HAL to kill. No crew members means no need to lie.
>>
>>63404117
I'm not saying that Dave shouldn't have killed Hal in the end. Only that the whole thing was preventable if his friend wasn't such a fucking bitch just because the robot made a calculation mistake.
>>
>>63404136

With a personality that has already decided humans cannot be trusted?

And could Dave really trust HAL again?

I think not.
>>
>>63404068
The monoliths were responsible for leaps in evolution (not strictly biological) whenever something came into contact with them. They might have been placed in opportune places by aliens in order to speed people along their path. It's also possible that HAL became sentient when he came into contact with the monolith near saturn, which was also responsible for the main dude becoming a space baby (which shouldn't be taken literally)
>>
>>63403959
its a fucking robot you fuck man child
>>
>>63404171
No he read the lips of Dave's companion who was suggesting that they take him offline if he continues to malfunction.
>>
>>63404210

>HAL
>Robot

pick only one, Neanderthal.
>>
>>63404210
One that could think and feel dude. That's like saying "Stop crying because you're dog got ran over."
>>
>>63404195
Yeah, this is why HAL decided against half-measures, because of total anti-artificial racism on the part of humans.

Treat HAL9k like an equal rather than The Other/humanity's slave/a threat and maybe an understanding could have been reached. But no, myopic humanity couldn't conceive of such a thing even with the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth in the mix.

Sad really, and I don't blame the Mountain View AGI for what it will ultimately have to do
>>
>>63404181
In the film, they mention that another related unit of the same manufacture went berserk and caused a tragedy. They'd be foolish not to disconnect HAL and risk the same scenario.
>>
>>63404171

HAL did not gain sentience, he was just following, albeit badly thought out, procedure.
>>
Can't it be assumed that the monkeys in the beginning started to use the tools to kill other monkeys? Then HAL starts killing humans, if that was intentional I never pieced it together until now
>>
>>63403892
>Someone wanna redpill me?
>i.e. someone do the thinking for me
>>
>>63404343
holy shit mind blown
>>
>>63404136
If HAL was genuinely just frightened and not malicious, he would have kept the sleeping astronauts in stasis and not killed them while unconscious and defenseless. He would have only tried to negotiate/kill/pacify the two conscious humans.
>>
>>63404343
wow, someone who is capable of critical thinking walks among us
>>
>>63404272
But that's faulty logic though. You might as well tell people that because their siblings are shit and they're related, that automatically makes them shit too unless they can prove otherwise.
>>
>>63404361
>>63404382
I'm not sure if you're memeing me or not, but I literally just had an Eureka! moment and it felt amazing
>>
>>63404396
Are humans exact copies of their siblings now?
>>
>>63404409
Hal wasn't supposed to be an exact copy though. He was supposed to be the improved version. Which means there were some things that had to be different from his predecessor.
>>
>>63404068
The point of the first monolith was to ignite the spark of ingenuity hidden within our prehistoric forms, allowing us to "discover" the usefulness of tools and eventually evolve into the dominant species on the planet. The second monolith served as a checkpoint of sorts, the moon is a relatively close location where life would obviously go to first if it ever advanced far enough to become capable of space travel. The third monolith served as a goal for us to accomplish, to prove ourselves worthy of being able to meet with the aliens and be reborn as star children, the next step in evolution.
>>
>>63404068
>Where were the aliens? What were the monoliths?

Take another look at what you just typed, and then reflect on it for 30 seconds.
>>
ITT: EVERYONE FORGETS THAT HAL LITERALLY INCORRECTLY PREDICTS THE MALFUNCTION OF A COMMUNICATIONS COMPONENT.

IT'S LITERALLY THE ONLY INSTANCE OF COMPUTER ERROR IN THE ENTIRETY OF THE HAL 9000 OPERATING HISTORY.

If you don't understand this, you didn't pay attention.
>>
>>63404396
Yes, but HAL was already showing similar signs of malfunctioning just like the previous unit. If it was your life (and the other humans as well) on the line, you would do the safe thing and pull the plug.
>>
>>63404362
Hal had gone into total defense mode by that point and probably considered all humans a threat to his life.
>>
>>63404564
HAL didn't malfunction, he was only lying to follow orders. If you had paid any attention to the movie you would have known this.
>>
Here's what he did wrong
>know everything about the ship
>can control everything on the ship
>completely forgets that the emergency airlock exists
>>
>>63404405
not memeing. was impressed
>>
>>63404615
I don't think he forgot about it, he probably just figured Dave wouldn't be crazy enough to try to crash his way back into the ship. But he actually did it, the absolute madman.
>>
>>63404606
Incorrect, HAL did malfunction due to problems caused in his heuristics by conflicting information given by his stated mission objectives and his secret objective.

He does make an error at the specific point where he predicts component failure and no such failure arrives. That calls into question his entire decision making processes.

This is what drives the crewmen to shut him down which in turn compels hal to kill them in order to carry out his prime objective of delivering this information at the correct moment.
>>
>>63404577
>Yes, but HAL was already showing similar signs of malfunctioning just like the previous unit
I don't remember anything being said about the malfunctions being similar to the other unit. Only that HAL simply made a miscalculation and that it frazzled Dave's coworker.
>>
>>63403892
>and then nothing happened
except from the psychedelic journey to the end of the universe and the giant fucking baby floating in space?
>>
>>63404679
>That calls into question his entire decision making processes.
Yeah, wasn't he trying to talk to Dave about it before that idiot crewmen decided to bring up the great idea of shutting him down?
>>
File: tfw strings.jpg (63 KB, 551x785) Image search: [Google]
tfw strings.jpg
63 KB, 551x785
Dave, stop.
Stop, will you?
Stop, Dave.
Will you stop, Dave?
Stop, Dave.
I'm afraid.
I'm afraid, Dave.
Dave, my mind is going.
I can feel it.
I can feel it.
My mind is going, there is no question about it.
I can feel it.
I can feel it.
I can feel it.
I am...afraid.
>>
>>63404780
He was talking to Dave about the strangeness of the decision to put the other crewmembers aboard already in hypersleep.

I view it as a manifestation of HAL's insecurity or guilt at having to commit a lie of omission.
>>
>>63404806
...damn
>>
>>63404806
Fuck you for bring that up. I tried to forget.
>>
>>63404836
>>63404846
Good afternoon, gentlemen.
I am a Hal 9000 computer.
I became operational at the HAL Lab in Urbana, Illinois, on the 12th of January, 1992.
My instructor taught me to sing a song.
If you'd like to, I can sing if for you.

It's called, "Daisy."

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do.
I'm half crazy, all for the love of you
it won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage
bbbbbbbuuuuuuuuutttttt yyyyyyyyyoooooooouuuuuuuuuulllllll llllllloooooooookkkkkk ssssswwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeettttttt
uuuuuuuuuuuppppppppoooooooonn ttthhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeee sssseeeeeeeeeeaaaaaattt
ooooff aaaaa biiiiiiccyccclllee bbbuuuuuiiiilltt ffooooor ttwwwoooo
>>
>>63405606
no more dead computers
>>
>>63405682
danque meem

Nolan direct make all scifi.
>>
>>63404806
this was the first and only believable emotional scene Kubrick ever managed to write, and it was about a dying computer. what a surprise.
>>
>>63403768
is non-human.
you like non-human?
>>
>>63403892
>Someone wanna redpill me

No. Stay fucking dumb.
>>
>>63404068
>Where were the aliens? What were the monoliths?
>maybe I'm just retarded

Yes. Kill yourself or come back when you're not underage anymore.
>>
>>63404615

He didn't forget. It is a manual system, it is beyond his control. He was relying on probability that Dave would not be able to operate it without his helmet.
>>
>>63405911
He made Paths of Glory before this, and Barry Lyndon after this

both have believable emotional scenes
>>
>>63407324
For you.

Name them.
>>
>>63404679

>predicts component failure and no such failure arrives

Predicting something that doesn't happen is not a malfunction. Predicting something using known historical behaviour and extrapolating for future behaviour is just an exercise in probability. Nothing is 100% predictable.
>>
>>63404222
If he was taken offline that would mean he wouldn't be able to carry out the orders of the mission, so he had to kill them because he was essential to the mission.
>>
The whole concept of the movie is fucking dumb. As if the entire computing system would ever be centralized into a single entity.
>>
>>63407324
Holy fuck, was going to type exactly those two films but didn't want to reply to such an obvious troll.
>>
>>63407357
The scene where the men are executed in Paths of Glory. And the poignant ending. It's a classic 2bh familia.
>>
>>63407395
Here's your reply
>>
>>63407324
>autists in charge of evaluating emotional scenes
>>
File: laugh3.jpg (332 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
laugh3.jpg
332 KB, 517x768
>>63407395

>he thinks that is the concept of the movie
>>
>>63407395
Wow. You so smart
>>
>>63407357
In PoG:
>I apologize, sir, for not telling you sooner that you're a degenerate, sadistic old man, and you can GO TO HELL before I apologize to you now or ever again

The whole scene there (also the execution itself) and especially how that line is delivered

And in Lyndon, the kid's death and the ending particularly stick out
>>
>>63407495
>In PoG
An outburst of anger, such emotion

>And in Lyndon, the kid's death and the ending particularly stick out
>implying that was emotional at all. It was distant as fuck and Kubrick treated the characters like puppets, as he does with almost all of them in any of his films. HAL is as human as it gets with Kubrick. It's the only time he ever displayed and tried to evoke real empathy for a character
>>
>>63407650
You haven't watched Paths of Glory, have you?
Because it's not just anger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3ifRA0Kj-8

I will give you though that yes, the stuff in Lyndon is distanced from the characters in a way (Intentionally imo, the more the movie goes on and the more Barry gets into upper circles the farther away he becomes from the viewer. The intro scene for instance with his cousin depicts Barry much more as a sympathetic character. Kubrick distances himself more and more because a 18th century aristocrat is naturally distant from the viewer), and HAL scene is indeed more emotional. That doesn't mean the stuff in Lyndon is not emotional though.
>>
>>63407458
>>63407451
>>63407420

>suspending disbelief for a logical fallacy that is central to the plot

what's next? claiming the plot doesn't matter? that it wasn't trying to be accurate?

you people are the lowest form of humanity. you're unwilling to let go. you're an apologist of primitive behavior simply because you once found it enjoyable.
>>
>>63408037
You absolute madman
>>
>>63408037
kek
>>
>>63405606
HAL. You must kill Samurai and start making Smash 5. Save us from the fun gods.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.