[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CREED MOTY CONFIRMED
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: critic.jpg (22 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
critic.jpg
22 KB, 300x279
>Who could have imagined that Sylvester Stallone’s 1976 Rocky – the most shamelessly sentimental boxing movie of them all — would inspire a black-liberation saga like the new movie Creed? After all, Rocky gave post–Civil Rights America the great white hope that Vietnam War draft-resister and heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali had made unthinkable.
>Rocky’s contrived innocence works like a charm in Creed. That delicious title brings a statement of belief, rules of behavior, and a sense of civilized faith back to our jaded pop and political culture — and in the unlikeliest figure. A fatherless black boy, Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan), trapped in systemic detention gets his shot at becoming the heavyweight champion of the world. He’s the son of Apollo Creed, the bodacious, Ali-like boxing champ (played by Carl Weathers) to whom Rocky plausibly and ingeniously lost — although Rocky would win movie immortality.
>Adonis answers the dissatisfaction lurking beneath the Rocky fantasies — the Hollywood fairy tale that seemed more out of reach the further America’s working class sank into an urban underclass. But if you think Adonis’s story won’t interest you, or fear that it’s selling more of the usual race-blame that the contemporary media now use to commandeer liberal consent (and condescension) among blacks and whites alike, you underestimate the enduring appeal of Stallone’s conceit (last put to use in the movie Grudge Match).
>It has taken two generations for Rocky to translate its own mythology through the evolution of pop-culture trends that include movies intersecting with pop music, both reflecting their historical and social contexts. Credit for this goes to Stallone’s personal largesse, but the startlingly satisfying story in Creed results from Coogler and Jordan’s astonishing cultural engagement. The three of them, together, have made the most American American movie this year.

Best Picture oscar when?
>>
>>63394590
>White agreeing with the mainstream concensus

Never thought I'd live to see the day. Though I'm sure if this was the exact same movie only with a white protagonist instead of a black one, he would have hated it.
>>
>>63394590
Does he become Adonis Creed at the end? Adonis Johnson sounds stupid, unless creed was just a stage name.
>>
>>63394590
Is this bullshit? Or did he sold out like everyone else. Fucking Armond I believed in you
>>
File: white man's burden.png (49 KB, 300x207) Image search: [Google]
white man's burden.png
49 KB, 300x207
Post more based Armond reviews
>>
File: don johnson.jpg (12 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
don johnson.jpg
12 KB, 214x317
>>63394709
He uses the Creed name in the final fight.
>>
Its really that fucking good. Its an African-American film without any sjw bullshit.
The only reason other people hate Donnie is because they think he's a sham, not because he's black.
>>
fuck off with these memes it's actually a really good film one of my favs of the year me and my wifes son loved it
>>
>>63394850
Thanks, big guy. But why the don Johnson?
>>
>>63394881
>wife's son
>wife's boyfriend
You know they ban for that, or some shit?
>>
>>63394858
>Its an African-American film without any sjw bullshit.

nice af, i'm pretty anti sjw pushing agenda like dope, fantastic four or hateful eight but i'm always in for this type of movies.
>>
>>63394989
I think its too early to say for Hateful Eight, but we'll see.

It's directed by the same guy that did Fruitvale Station, so of course it's going to have lots of great shots. The fucking one take boxing match was flawless.
>>
Is Michael B. Jordan in Almond's spank bank?
>>
>>63394989
Fuck off /pol/ faggot, this isn't your Reddit hugbox. Kill yourself, please.
>>
>>63394590
>cultural engagement.

...what? He surely must have meant cultural enlargement.
>>
>>63394935
im not ashamed to raise another man's son
>>
>>63394646
>Though I'm sure if this was the exact same movie only with a white protagonist instead of a black one, he would have hated it
Lol, confirmed for never reading a White review.
>>
>>63395135
Go back to reddit
>>
>>63395132
Him, Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Denzel Washington, Jason Statham, and Gary Cooper are all confirmed
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.