[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is it. This scene is the pinnacle of western television
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 12324535646.jpg (50 KB, 640x295) Image search: [Google]
12324535646.jpg
50 KB, 640x295
This is it. This scene is the pinnacle of western television of this generation.

This is were all the threads of the show lead to, of past moments and even moments yet to come.
>>
HOW FAR WE DONE FELL
>>
>>63378322
nice dubs
>>
>>63378322
I think the Wire is the best show of all time, but it has more shortcomings than most would like to admit. That scene you're referencing for example, was one of it's weaker moments within the third season. Just romanticized niggers and their baloney codes of ethics.
>>
>>63378406

WE HAD CORNERS AND SHIET
>>
>>63378406
What? This is the scene were Bunk totally reks Omar. Tells him how fucked up it is that he won't cooperate with the police just because muh street honor. At least it's something along those lines.
>>
>>63378322
>>63378406
>>63378540

> Bullshit, boy. No victim? I just came from Tosha's people, remember? All this death, you don't think it ripples out? You don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about. I was a few years ahead of you at Edmondson, but I know you remember the neighborhood, how it was. We had some bad boys, for real. Wasn't about guns so much as knowing what to do with your hands. Those boys could really rack. My father had me on the straight, but like any young man, I wanted to be hard too, so I'd turn up at all the house parties where the tough boys hung. Shit, they knew I wasn't one of them. Them hard cases would come up to me and say, "Go home, schoolboy, you don't belong here." Didn't realize at the time what they were doing for me. As rough as that neighborhood could be, we had us a community. Nobody, no victim, who didn't matter. And now all we got is bodies, and predatory motherfuckers like you. And out where that girl fell, I saw kids acting like Omar, calling you by name, glorifying your ass. Makes me sick, motherfucker, how far we done fell.
>>
>>63378540
Yeah, and he is torn between the streets and a higher code of ethics and Bunk exacerbates it by giving him a moral dressing down. It's nice and all, but for a show that prides itself on its realism, it's a bit out of place. Also, it romanticizes the characters in doing so, and the Wire is somewhat selective in who it romanticizes - it has a somewhat liberal bias you might say.
>>
Is Bunk the best Wire character?
>>
>>63378406
>Just romanticized niggers and their baloney codes of ethics.

Yeah, that was the point of that scene. Good call, bro.
>>
>>63378822
I really don't see how it romanticizes any of them in this scene. Omar gets told and Bunk is just being Bunk. Maybe it's not realistic for a gangster and a detective to meet and talk ethics and the old days, but its a tv-show at the end of the day.

>>63378908
Nah, he's actually the scumbag responsible for McNulty falling back into his destructive habits, even though McNulty had it good with Beadie.
>>
>Not Sopranos ending shot.
Plebeians.
>>
>>63379093

>meme endings
>>
>>63378322
reminder that Bunk was right and the violence Omar generated on the streets did came back and killed him
>>
>>63378406
this post is irony incarnate lol
>>
>Gangsters are philosopher warrior poets with honor
So realistic.
>>
>>63379167
it doesn't do this to be fair. most of the normal gangster guys they get in are portrayed as vicious retards. the show focuses on the higher ups a lot, so the fact that they're portrayed more intelligently is more acceptable.

that being said yeah it does fall for that whole thing a bit much. marlo annoyed me as a character
>>
>>63379167

>He a man today....he a man.
>>
>>63379112

>using the word "ending" like a fucking 12 year old
>>
>>63379700
Well every episode opens up with some nugget of wisdom from the mean streets of Baltimore.
>>
>>63379167
The leaders don't get to where they are by being idiots.
>>
>>63378822
How does it romanticize Omar in the very scene were he is told there's nothing romantic about him. He thinks he's Robin Hood but he's really just another thug with no friends
>>
OMOR INCOMING
>>
>>63379823
Because it portrays him as wrestling with this very concept when brought up to him... by a cop. And ultimately his conscience wins out and he does the right thing. I'm fine with it honestly, but you wouldn't find the same credibility given to other characters in the show, and it suggests a slight political bias. Also, it doesn't sync well with the most of the rest of the show, which is largely unromanticized.
>>
>>63380052

Thats because its part of the story. Even after his sudden demise which is shot completely unapologetic and cold, there is a scene of corner boys talking about the glorious death of Omar and how it took a killing squad with AK47s to bring him down.
>>
>>63380190
But this is different. In that instance it's the show making a commentary on the romanticization of a popular character, and also the ill effects of such a person on those more impressionable.

In the scene we're talking about, it's the show itself doing the romanticizing, most likely unintentional. It provides no commentary in doing so. It isn't about the larger story.
>>
>>63379167
You actually have to be pretty smart and have nerves of steel to reach the tops of criminal organizations.
>>
>>63380375
Yeah, but that kind of philosopher grandstanding isn't common with smart people either. It's just a device to make the characters more grandiose. And it's entertaining, but don't pretend that doesn't gloss it up a little.
>>
>>63380322

Well sorta. It's meant as a contrast to how Marlo ends up; Omar actually wins that contest because he's still remembered, whereas Marlo has already faded into obscurity on the street. It shows that the street doesn't change. It has always been, it will always be, its own world entirely.
>>
>>63379744
my favorite scene desu
>>
>>63380460
Nah, that's not it at all. In the final season Omar's revenge plot is built up and then swiftly undercut by an anticlimatic ending. It's similar to Llewlyn's demise in NCFOM. It says that Omar wasn't special. How he's seen by others is in contrast to the person he was.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.