[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we reminiscence on how fucking overrated this trash was >a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 12
File: TD.jpg (55 KB, 660x370) Image search: [Google]
TD.jpg
55 KB, 660x370
Can we reminiscence on how fucking overrated this trash was
>a show about two idiots chasing pedophiles in woods while one of them won't shut up about that philosophy book he read last week
>LIGHT IS WINNING MARTEH
>>
You forgot about how half of it is plagiarized.
>>
>>63374934
It was embarrassing to see the media outlets and fanboys falling all over themselves to justify that.
>>
>>63374934
>>63375157
Enlighten me.
>>
what was it plagiarized from?
>>
>>63374934
>"Half"
>One section of dialogue from one scene

Cool story
>>
>>63375234
still, surely that isnt acceptable?
>>
>>63374934
enlighten me 3
>>
ITT: I didn't get it
>>
>>63374934
enlighten me senpai
>>
>>63375192
A writer named Thomas Ligotti. Nic Pizzolatto "plagiarized" his work even though he acknowledged being inspired by Ligotti's work in an interview before the allegations even came out, going as far as to call Rust a "Ligottian Detective" and talk about how much he loved Conspiracy Against The Human Race. It's just another media frenzy based on nothing.
>>
>>63374914

Stay mad
>>
>>63375183
>>63375192

The spooky backstory stuff is from some weird Italian Cthulhu knock-off.
>>
>>63375248

Let's get our facts straight before we decide what is an isn't acceptable, is all I'm saying.
>>
File: td1-8.jpg (80 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
td1-8.jpg
80 KB, 450x300
"Enlighten me" is winning, Marty.
>>
>>63375192
Precisely that famous light is winning line is taken from Top 40, an Alan Moore comic.
>>
>>63375316
It was plagiarized from a knock-off? Then who cares?
>>
File: tt11-600x586.png (704 KB, 600x586) Image search: [Google]
tt11-600x586.png
704 KB, 600x586
>>63375183
>>63375192
>>63375277

Thomas Ligotti
http://www.vox.com/2014/8/7/5975769/true-detective-a-work-of-plagiarism-a-guide
Alan Moore

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2014/03/10/td-comic.o.jpg/a_560x375.jpg + pic related

It's not a ton but when the best monologues of the show were lifted from something else the fact that pizza turned out to be a hack is less surprising.
>>
File: Top_Ten_8-22_a.jpg (343 KB, 1000x1458) Image search: [Google]
Top_Ten_8-22_a.jpg
343 KB, 1000x1458
>>63375183
>>63375192
>>63375251
In addition to the Ligotti swipe, which includes specific text, Marty's speech about "Light is winning" in the last episode is ripped off from an issue of Alan Moore's comic book "Top Ten."
>>
>>63375192

Half the series was built on the work of horror writers. Carcosa and the Yellow King are Robert W, Chambers. Rust's worldview was almost verbatim from Thomas Ligotti books. A lot of imagery like the stick figures were lifted from Karl Edward Wagner. Then when the season ended Pizzaman said in an interview he didn't really care about horror fiction and thought Chambers wasn't even a good autor (he suggested people read Faulker and his own novel instead). Which makes you wonder, if he thinks it's shit, why even borrow it.

The crime aspects of both seasons are very heavily indebted to James Ellroy. S2 was specially an Ellroy plot just with a few "find and replace" searches thrown into it.
>>
File: Top_Ten_8-22_b.jpg (358 KB, 1000x1512) Image search: [Google]
Top_Ten_8-22_b.jpg
358 KB, 1000x1512
>>63375394
>>
>>63375394
>Vaguely similar generic line
>Context, tone, even genre are completely different

You desperate TD haters need to understand how plagiarism works
>>
>>63375298
He "acknowledged" some of his plagiarism only after being caught, without taking any responsibility.
>>
>>63374914

English isn't your native language, now is it?
>>
>>63375434

I think you are confusing "plagiarized from" with "inspired by."

Except for that Thomas Ligotti stuff. That is something Pizzolatto needs to answer for. But like >>63375234 said, it's a small portion of one scene.
>>
>>63375394
>three words
Hardly a blind robbery of ideas. If he even scooped it from that comic book drivel.
>>
>i dont get the true detective finale

how dense can you be
>>
>>63375506
The funny part is that he refused to city ligotti as an influence until people accused him of plagiarism and then refused to acknowledge him as an influence after the plagiarism blew over.
>>
>>63375298

He plagiarized his words...verbatim.

That's why Nic was under the microscope for season 2...and he couldn't produce.
>>
>>63375463
Please show me some other examples of that "generic line."
>>
>>63375366
>>63375394
>>63375438
>Vague line about "forces of light and dark" is similar

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS! PIZZOLATTO ALSO RIPPED OFF Lost, practically every anime ever, basically every superhero film ever, Star Wars, etc...
>>
>>63375550
"COHLE: … we are things that labor under the illusion of having a ‘self’…each of us programmed with total assurance that we’re each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. "

"“And the worst possible thing we could know — worse than knowing of our descent from a mass of microorganisms — is that we are nobodies not somebodies, puppets not people.” (CATHR, p. 109)"

They're not verbatim. And Season 2 was fantastic.
>>
>>63375671

That's not the extent of his plagiarism. That's just cherry-picking.
>>
>>63375671
>And Season 2 was fantastic.

kek. sure it was. it was so good there's going to be a season 3 by nic too huh?

oh wait...
>>
>>63375671
Pizza go home
>>
>>63375791

It's just an example? But go ahead and prove me wrong by also cherry-picking things
>>
>>63375809

It's been renewed through 2018 with Pizzolatto on board, dumbfuck.
>>
>>63375937

Just post ALL of the shit listed from the site you got the one you already posted. If ONE is verbatim, then I'm right.
>>
>>63375966

[citation needed]

>>63375937

>It's just an example?

Why did you put a question mark here? Don't you know how to write at all, Nic?
>>
>>63375937
COHLE: We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law.

“We know that nature has veered into the supernatural by fabricating a creature that cannot and should not exist by natural law, and yet does.” (CATHR, p.111)

COHLE: … we are things that labor under the illusion of having a ‘self’…each of us programmed with total assurance that we’re each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody.

“And the worst possible thing we could know — worse than knowing of our descent from a mass of microorganisms — is that we are nobodies not somebodies, puppets not people.” (CATHR, p. 109)

“Everybody is nobody…” (CATHR, p. 199)

“…our captivity in the illusion of a self—even though ’there is no one’ to have this illusion…” (CATHR, p. 107)

“…the illusion of being a somebody among somebodies as well as for the substance we see, or think we see, in the world…” (CATHR, p. 114)

COHLE: I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution.

“…human existence is a tragedy that need not have been were it not for the intervention in our lives of a single, calamitous event: the evolution of consciousness—parent of all horrors (CATHR p. 15)

“…the evolutionary mutation of consciousness tugged us into tragedy.” (CATHR p. 54)

“…our captivity in the illusion of a self… the tragedy of the ego.” (CATHR, p. 107)
>>
>>63375809

Don't believe everything you read on 4chan, bud.
>>
>>63375937
COHLE: The only honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing and march hand-in-hand into extinction.

“…the human race will never do the honorable thing and abort itself…” (CATHR, p. 138)

“To end this self-deception… we must cease reproducing.” (CATHR, p. 29)

“And how many would speed up the process of extinction once euthanasia was decriminalized and offered in humane and even enjoyable ways?” (CATHR, p. 29)

COHLE: I think about the hubris it must take to yank a soul out of nonexistence into this meat… Force a life into this thresher.

“Whatever else we may be as creatures that go to and fro on the earth and walk up and down upon it, we are meat.” (CATHR, p. 165)

“Why should generations unborn be spared entry into the human thresher?” (CATHR, p. 74)

“…nonexistence never hurt anyone and existence hurts everyone.” (CATHR, p. 75)

“Every one of us, having been stolen from nonexistence, opens his eyes on the world and looks down the road at a few convulsions and a final obliteration.” (CATHR, p. 167)

“…this new Adam and Eve are only being readied for the meat grinder of existence…” (CATHR, p. 164)
>>
>>63376080
Thats not plagiarism
>>
>>63375937
COHLE: It’s all one gutter, man. A giant gutter in outer space.

“…in the black-foaming gutters and back alleys of paradise, in the dank windowless gloom of some galactic cellar, in the hollow pearly whorls found in sewerlike seas, in starless cities of insanity, and in their slums . . .” (“The Frolic,” Thomas Ligotti)

COHLE: And other times I thought I was seeing straight into the true heart of things.

“…horrible ‘inner Truth’ of things.” (CATHR on Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness”, p. 108)

COHLE: So my daughter, she spared me from the sin of being a father.

“…non-coital existence… the surest path to redemption for the sin of being congregants of this world.”(CATHR, p. 34)
>>
>>63374914
I wasn't all that great, but the ending BTFO fedora tippers so it was worth the time.
>>
>>63376059
>[citation needed]
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/true-detective-season-3-still-up-in-the-air-as-hbo-inks-deal-with-nic-pizzolatto-through-2018-1201642681/

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3663840

http://www.indiewire.com/article/hbo-signs-nic-pizzolatto-but-pushes-for-a-revamped-true-detective-season-3-20151117

First three results on Google, newfriend. Before you act like a smart ass, make sure you're smart.
>>
>>63375937
"The most egregious instance of Pizzolatto’s plagiarism involves some of the most captivating and most quoted of all the scenes from the series: namely, the car ride in episode one in which Rust Cohle outlines his pessimistic, anti-natalist worldview definitively and powerfully. It is a fact that (in that crucial, character-defining scene) almost every one of Rust’s infamous lines is either taken word for word or is a paraphrase of Ligotti’s distinctive prose and ideas from The Conspiracy Against the Human Race."

"Bear in mind as well that this scene is the lynchpin of Cohle’s character – and it is the scene in which True Detective goes from being just another cop buddy procedural to something different, something of exceeding interest to HBO’s audience and a credit to the writer who created Rustin Cohle. It is that difference—along with randomly used red-herrings from Robert W. Chambers’ The King in Yellow, to which Ligotti refers in The Conspiracy Against the Human Race—which set True Detective apart from more generic shows. In no uncertain terms, the pessimism and anti-natalism of Rust Cohle as articulated by Ligotti is the hallmark element of the show and sets up Cohle’s change of heart, so to speak, on which True Detective closes. Take Rust Cohle’s Ligottian worldview and the weird fiction references away, and you lose what makes the show special."
>>
>>63376059
>Why did you put a question mark here?
Do you have issues with basic reading comprehension? Or are you just so autistic that you haven't been in enough actual conversation to understand the sort of inquisitive tone that having a question mark there produces? Either way, fuck off.
>>
>>63376143
>http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/true-detective-season-3-still-up-in-the-air-as-hbo-inks-deal-with-nic-pizzolatto-through-2018-1201642681/

"HBO has inked an overall deal with “True Detective” creator Nic Pizzolatto through 2018"

That's not a renewal of True Detective, dumb dumb. It says "up in the air".

"Sources say HBO has been looking to make a change in the way the show is run, given the critical response to the second season, and has presented Pizzolatto with a number of options. Those options include: him working with a staff of writers, having a new showrunner come in, as well as him going it alone again. In all scenarios, he would remain an exec producer."

Thanks for proving my point. Season 2 was shit.
>>
oh wow, this is no way diminishes the show for me.

in fact it only enchances it, thanks a bunch
>>
>>63376080

You do realise that this was a philosophical idea more than a line of a book ?

It's fucking stupid to call plagiat when he just stated nihilist philosophy
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

Well thanks for proving that it is not only NOT verbatim, but some of it is downright barely similar. I appreciate that anon. Did you read through it first?
>>
Only complete and utter pussies are this butthurt about true detective
>>
>>63376174
>Do you have issues with basic reading comprehension?

No. That's why I am asking why you put a question at the end of a statement. That's what women do. It's called a "tag question".

So why did you put a question mark at the end of a statement?
>>
File: 1354496920022.jpg (3 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1354496920022.jpg
3 KB, 126x126
>its a /tv/ hates something it once loved because it became popular episode
>>
>>63376196

Jesus Christ. Do you not know what 'renewal' means? The show is continuing with Nic as executive producer regardless of what happens. That's a renewal. Stop being so incredibly stupid.
>>
>>63376201
looks pretty verbatim to me, anon
>>
>>63376196
Dense cunt
>>
>>63376216
>Or are you just so autistic that you haven't been in enough actual conversation to understand the sort of inquisitive tone that having a question mark there produces?

I did already. LEARN HOW TO READ.
>>
>>63376231
>The show is continuing

No that hasn't been confirmed. That's what "up in the air means". That's way "paves the way for a go-ahead decision" means.

>The show is continuing with Nic as executive producer

So? He's not writing. That is my point.
>>
>>63376255

It's not a matter of how looks to you, anon. It's not verbatim, by the literal definition of the word "verbatim".
>>
>>63376275

So then it was a tag question, like a woman uses. OK then.
>>
It's very strange to me that there are people so enamored of the show that they pretend to not see that significant dialogue was stolen from other sources. I don't understand being so invested in something one isn't actually a part of.
>>
>>63376299

Do you even know what an exec producer is?
>>
>>63376318
sure it is:

>should not exist by natural law
>we are nobodies
>everybody is nobody
>the tragedy of the ego

that's just from the first post!
>>
>>63376322

Confirmed for thirteen years old.
>>
File: rust.gif (93 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
rust.gif
93 KB, 480x270
>lying in bed meditating upon the crucifixion of Jesus Christ
>mum walks in and tells me to stop sleeping, I'm late for school
>patiently remind her that I don't sleep, I just dream
>she abruptly opens the curtains and walks out
>light up a cigarette and walk slowly to my R.E. lesson
>slide into my seat at the back of the class
>they are discussing the afterlife
>I loudly announce that they're all racing to a red light
>teacher asks if I can understand how the belief in an afterlife is a solace to some people
>I tell him that fairytales aren't good for anybody
>he asks why I begrudge people the right to their own personal beliefs
>"they gotta get together and tell each other stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamned day?"
>"what's that say about their reality?" I ask
>"you haven't answered the question, Anon"
>"then start asking the right fucking questions"
>tired of his low IQ, I take a beer out of my bag and crack it open
>"what are you doing!" he demands
>"it's Thursday and it's past noon. On Thursdays I start drinking at noon. You don't get to interrupt that"
>he tries to confiscate my beer but I capture him in an arm lock
>he becomes vexed and slaps me around the back of my head
>I look him straight in the eye and tell him that prison is very very hard on people who hurt kids
>"if you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself"
>silently walk out of class, pausing briefly at the door to give God the finger
>>
>>63376340

Are they a writer?
>>
>>63376299

You apparently don't understand how television works
>>
>>63376389

Sweet rebuttal.
>>
>>63376381
kek'd
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

#REKT
>>
>>63376384

Almost always. Point is, there's going to be a season 3 and probably 4, and you said there wasn't, and then (with NO research into the subject) asked me to cite sources. And I did. You're just continuing to further embarrass yourself at this point.
>>
>>63376407
I don't need to rebuke something I've already rebuked two or three times. Now go away.
>>
>>63376430
>Almost always.

[citation needed]

> there's going to be a season 3 and probably 4

[citation needed]

> and you said there wasn't

No I said Nic wouldn't be doing a season 3 as a writer, dumb dumb. See right here:

>>63375809
>>
>>63375362
Well exactly.
>>
>>63376356
Look up what verbatim means.
>>
>>63376451

You've claimed that executive producers are almost always writers.

This is false. Feel free to form a rebuttal with supporting evidence.
>>
>>63376482

ver·ba·tim
vərˈbādəm/
adverb & adjective
in exactly the same words as were used originally.

>>should not exist by natural law

The exact same words, in the exact same order, in both cases.

Dumb dumb.
>>
>>63376468
>Almost always
>[citation needed]
Every TV show ever with little exception. Breaking Bad, Lost, The Leftovers, True Detective, The Sopranos, etc. etc.

>there's going to be a season 3 and probably 4
>[citation needed]
I did already. I'm not going to for you again. Like I said, use this thing called Google if you're actually curious.
>>
>>63376533

>Every TV show ever

That's not a citation. Provide a citation supporting your claim "an executive producer is almost always a writer". Examples that you see fitting this pattern aren't citations.

>I did already.

No, you posted a Variety article which talks about an "overall deal" and states that the go-ahead for season 3 is "up in the air".
>>
>>63376516
"We are creatures that should not exist by natural law."
Versus:
"by fabricating a creature that cannot and should not exist by natural law, and yet does.”

That is NOT. VERBATIM. This is an 18 and up board.
>>
>>63376582

>should not exist by natural law

That would be the verbatim plagiarism, dumb dumb. The entire sentence doesn't have to match.
>>
>>63376582
dude it says "should not exist by natural law" in both cases. that is 'in the exact same words"
>>
>>63376516

#REKT
>>
>>63376581
A list of shows where the executive producer is also a primary writer, showrunner, and consistently either writes or co-writes every season finale, is a citation. What, you want me to go to IMDb and provide a comprehensive list of every Breaking Bad episode that was both executive produced and written by Vince Gilligan? Why should I do that just for you? Just to prove to you that I'm right? I already know I'm right, I don't care what you think. Go do it yourself.

And an overall deal counts as the show being renewed. Regardless of how it turns out, Pizolatto will be returning as exec producer, which means he will be one of the showrunners, will be evolved in the conception and breaking of every episode and plot development, and will write at least SOME of the eps if not all. You are wrong. Stop going in circles.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

Jesus fucking Christ I had no idea he ripped off other writers so bad. Why hasn't he or HBO been sued?
>>
>>63376582
What's it like to blow yourself the fuck out?
>>
>>63376604
>>63376635
>The entire sentence doesn't have to match.

To be technically verbatim, it absolutely does. Understand the definition of words please.
>>
>>63376671
>A list of shows where the executive producer is also a primary writer, showrunner, and consistently either writes or co-writes every season finale, is a citation.

No, a list is not a citation. I didn't even bother reading the rest of your post. My work is done here.
>>
>>63376658
>>63376680

Stop samefagging so hard, and learn what verbatim means.
>>
>>63376693
>To be technically verbatim, it absolutely does.

No it doesn't. Refer to the definition of "verbatim" for more details.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=define%20verbatim&es_th=1
>>
>>63376678
Ligotti is pathologically reclusive. The last thing he wants to do is get into some high-profile lawsuit. Moore hates the film and TV industry and probably sees no point in pursuing damages. I don't know about Ellroy.
>>
File: kek.png (10 KB, 510x123) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
10 KB, 510x123
>>63376716
>>
>>63376604
>>63376604
Are you mentally retarded?
Is dumb dumb really the extent of your vocabulary of insults?
Your posts come off as if a 12 year old kid is typing them.
>>
>>63376700

Lol. Here's a handy tip for you. If you have to announce to everyone that you are the winner of an argument, and especially if you scurry away as fast as you can afterwards, you probably didn't win shit. But I'm glad an anonymous internet debate validates your pathetic ego so much.
>>
>>63376739
Nice shop
>>
>>63376750

>Are you mentally retarded?

No, but I am a certified SLP and work with retards daily. I can help you with words.
>>
>>63376739
>20 posters

woooah so this is autism
>>
>>63376774

Sure. I screencaptured and shopped and posted in under two minutes. Sure.
>>
>>63376725

To be plagiarism, verbatim, it has to be the exact same words in the exact same order. Not a few identical phrases amidst re-wording and new prose. This is not had to understand.
>>
>>63375552
The star wars 3 novel has it as an epilogue
>>
>>63376779

It says 22, dumb dumb.
>>
>>63376775

Your lack of basic reading comprehension throughout this thread suggest otherwise. Perhaps they are actually rubbing off on you.
>>
>>63376804
>To be plagiarism, verbatim, it has to be the exact same words in the exact same order.

Exactly. And in both cases, the words are exact;y the same, in the same order.

> Not a few identical phrases

Phrases are words. The exact words in the exact order would be a plagiarized phrase. This isn't hard.
>>
>>63376775
>A retard who works with retards

Wow, how does that even work?
>>
>>63374914
The only bad thing was Rust, the most fedora character i've ever seen.
>>
>>63376797

You're right. That is giving someone with your faculties entirely too much credit.
>>
>>63374934
Who gives a fuck, end product matters.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127
this makes me sad. i really liked nic pizza, especially season 1.

fuck this cruel world.
>>
>>63376815
>wow, 20? that's autistm
>UMMM ACTUALLY IT'S 22

Oh god my sides
>>
>>63376865

HBO gives a fuck. They don't want to lose money. That's why season 3 hasn't been greenlit.
>>
>>63376881
...but he was right. now it says 25 :)
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127
maybe i can be a writer. all i have to do is read obscure shit.
>>
>>63376836
"We are creatures that should not exist by natural law."
Versus:
"by fabricating a creature that cannot and should not exist by natural law, and yet does.”

Those sentences are not the same words in the same order. They are partially the same. Which means it's not verbatim. There are not any more ways it can be explained so if you don't get it by now, I'm afraid you are beyond help.
>>
>>63376836
>Phrases are words

Holy shit, no they aren't.

And since you ask for citation even when it isn't necessary, from Wikipedia: "In linguistic analysis, a phrase is a group of words (or possibly a single word) that functions as a constituent in the syntax of a sentence—a single unit within a grammatical hierarchy."
>>
>>63376966
>Those sentences are not the same words in the same order.

So? The phrase "should not exist by natural law" are the same words in the same order.

Feel free to bring some sort of evidence supporting your case to the table. Find somewhere that says "it has to be the exact same sentence".
>>
>>63376893

It has, though. There are articles in this very thread that prove it. You need to lurk moar
>>
>>63376997
> a phrase is a group of words

Yes.

>that functions as a constituent in the syntax of a sentence

Yes.

What does that have to do with plagiarism, dumb dumb?
>>
File: 1445297648228.jpg (640 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1445297648228.jpg
640 KB, 1280x960
>>63376381
>>
>>63377002

Again, I did already. I'm not going to go in circles with you.
>>
>>63377012
>It has, though.
no, the only thing in this thread says it's "up in the air". anon already told you that. what is your issue with the disinfo, m8? are you on the clock?
>>
>>63377025
I bet that you unironically watch and enjoy MLP, you autistic queer.
>>
>>63377039

No, you haven't provided any evidence supporting your claim that in order to be verbatim plagiarism it has to be the exact same sentence.

Feel free to cite the post.
>>
>>63377025

Wow, that really is the only insult you know? And it's from the 1st Grade. I'd laugh but I think I feel too sorry for you.
>>
>>63377054

So in other words, it has nothing to do with it?

K.
>>
>>63377063

Oh, well that's just basic knowledge.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

:(

so how long until pizza an heroes?
>>
>>63376143

>season 3 up in the air

kek
>>
>>63377109

He's in charge of a massively popular show that rakes in millions, so I think he's probably doing fine. How long before you do?
>>
>>63377086
>doesn't even try and deny it

Autistic horsefucking simpleton confirmed.
>>
>>63377130
>He's in charge of a massively popular show
no you're not, nic. season 2 is over and season 3 is up in the air.
>>
>>63377129
Yeah. It's up in the air as to whether Nic will be writing it entirely himself or bring on a team. He has already stated how doing it all himself is incredibly exhausting, and it's also not how any other show on TV works. But there's going to be a season 3, was the point.
>>
>>63377158
>It's up in the air as to whether Nic will be writing it entirely himself or bring on a team.
no the article says the entire season 3 being greenlit is up in the air.
>>
>>63377156

Season 3 is happening. The details are up in the air and they're also up to him, according to HBO. Stop being dense.
>>
>>63377180
>Season 3 is happening.
nobody is going to believe you until you provide evidence. the only evidence posted here says "the way has been paved for season 3 go-ahead".
>>
>>63377179

No it doesn't. Season 3 is greenlit regardless of which option he chooses. It's just under debate how the show is going to proceed. Not whether or not it's going to.
>>
>>63377199
Now shut the fuck up.
>>
>>63377199
I don't care if you believe me, is the thing. But the evidence already posted here is all you need and it's happening no matter how much you hated the second season.
>>
>>63377243
>http://moviepilot.com/posts/3663840

That's a blog where literally anyone can start writing.
>>
>>63377258
>I don't care if you believe me

K.
>>
>>63377243

>moviepilot
>>
>>63377283

Well I mean, you can just come up with reasons why you don't believe all the sources confirming it if you want to, but that doesn't prove much other than how stubborn you are. But it's not a surprise. Autistic people are usually like that (in b4 "citation needed")
>>
>>63377283

>WHAT IS CLICKBAIT?

Anon, notice how it doesn't say ANYTHING in the content about Season 3 being confirmed?

Thanks for the laugh.

> all the sources confirming it

You haven't provided any.

1) As soon as it is actually confirmed, this board will go apeshit.

2) As soon as it is actually confirmed, the entertainment news will go apeshit.

Thus, you should be able to provide a plethora of data. You posted a Variety article saying it was still up in the air, and a blog that is clickbait with nothing in the content.
>>
>>63377217
yes it does. first paragraph

"Under the new pact, a number of new projects from Pizzolatto are being considered, including future installments of “True Detective,” though a third season is still not a sure thing."

THOUGH A THIRD SEASON IS STILL NOT A SURE THING
>>
>>63377373

I just posted the first three articles from Google to prove that it's common knowledge. This board is pretty selective in what it arbitrarily chooses to go apeshit about, and the entertainment news probably won't care until pre-production has started and casting rumors are circulating.
>>
>>63377422
>This board is pretty selective

KEK
>>
>>63374914
It was only enjoyed by people that believe the philosophy of everything being shit and so the show was sickeningly pandering to them.
>>
>every time a take a shit its like there is a gun to my head - vince vaughn season 2

who did Pizzolatto steal this line from?
>>
>>63377418

This guy is an idiot. The best trolls are at least somewhat intelligent.
>>
>>63377418

This seems like unnecessarily scrutinizing the details. The only reason why it's not a sure thing is because Pizzolatto himself hasn't made a decision. HBO has put it in his hands and basically said "Here are your options, we'll do whatever you want." So the notion that the show was canned because of poor season 2 reception is still false, and that was the whole point of the future of a third season being brought up in the first place.
>>
>>63377422
see>>63377418
>>
>>63377450
... It's selective in what it arbitrarily goes apeshit about. As in, sometimes /tv/ goes nuts about some new thing, sometimes it doesn't. Read the whole sentence before reacting like a monkey.
>>
This is the worst /tv/ thread in a long time.
>>
>>63377489
>The only reason why it's not a sure thing
>it's not a sure thing
Finally, you acknowledge it.
>>
>>63377453

Sure. Except that every character other than Rust is constantly challenging that philosophy and even he doesn't believe in it anymore by the end of the season. Don't be stupid.
>>
>>63374914
We are just wishing there was show about the mythos. We even payed attention to this crap because of Hastur.

In the end it was nothing.
>>
>>63377525

Anon, if season 3 of True Detective were actually greenlit, then this board would go apeshit. That's the FIRST clue you are full of shit. The second clue is that you post articles that specifically contradict your claims. Then you post clickbait blogs.

A True Pizza Fan.
>>
>>63377532

Sorry, I meant to put that part in quotes. My bad.
>>
>>63377489
>This seems like unnecessarily scrutinizing the details.

>In an argument about if a project is official, whether that project is official is an unnecessary scrutinization of the details.
>>
>>63377559
100%
>>
>>63376143
>http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/true-detective-season-3-still-up-in-the-air-as-hbo-inks-deal-with-nic-pizzolatto-through-2018-1201642681/

" though a third season is still not a sure thing."

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>63377563

I didn't post the link to moviepost, that was some other anon, first off. Second, this board goes apeshit about random stupid shit like actresses' feet all the time, whether or not they're actually going to devote time to something important is a total crapshoot. And the articles I posted aren't contradicting my PRIMARY POINT, which is that HBO hasn't lost any faith in Pizza because of Season 2 and a continuation of TD in some form is guaranteed. If it's a movie or something instead of a new season I don't want you being like "SEE? I TOLD YOU SO!" because that wasn't my point.
>>
>>63377559
A series, a movie, a game, anything well produced and written (not those b-movies) about Lovecraft.

The sad thing is... that shit is public domain now, so its really weird nobody has cashed into that idea.
>>
>>63377666

>I didn't post the link to moviepost

You did. Here:>>63376143
>>
>>63377616

The argument was whether or not the bad reception of Season 2 led to the show not returning. Sorry if you thought it was something else.
>>
>>63377688

Sorry, thought you were referring to this post:

>>63377243
>>
>>63377666
>HBO hasn't lost any faith in Pizza because of Season 2

[citation needed]

>>63377695

No it wasn't, idiot. How would you cite facts about how HBO feels?

>>63375809
>it was so good there's going to be a season 3 by nic too huh?

>>63375966

>It's been renewed through 2018 with Pizzolatto on board, dumbfuck.
>>
>>63377725

That's the same link, dumb dumb.
>>
>>63377695

>i lost the first argument so now i am moving the goalposts to something far vaguer and impossible to prove one way or the other

Gotcha.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127
shit that's pretty bad. how did he get away with it? how do i get away with it?
>>
>>63377752
>[citation needed]
My point is that they haven't lost faith in him, and I provided citation to that already.

>How would you cite facts about how HBO feels?
When they state how they feel. One of the three options they gave Nic was to continue the show into a third season as is with him writing everything. Which means it only won't happen that way if Pizza himself chooses otherwise. I think that's confirmation enough that the idea that he was canned because of bad Season 2 reception is false.

>it was so good there's going to be a season 3 by nic too huh?
Yes. Unless Nic himself decides they should go another way.

>It's been renewed through 2018 with Pizzolatto on board, dumbfuck.
Which is still true? It's just an overall deal which means the details aren't clear. But what's important is HBO made the details UP TO Pizzolatto, so faith in him and the show isn't in question.

The thing is, you don't care about the point I'm trying to make, you only care about proving me wrong however you can. So you obsess over the technicalities and ignore the actual point. It's classic argument tactic BS.
>>
>>63377828

That or you didn't understand where the goalposts were in the first place. But obviously I can't prove anything.
>>
>>63377775

Kind of besides my point, but yes I noticed.
>>
>>63377910
>My point is that they haven't lost faith in him,

That has nothing to do with whether season 3 of True Detective is going to happen, dumb dumb.

>When they state how they feel.

Then that's citing a fact about how they STATE they fell, dumb dumb. Not how they actually feel. That's why the news stays away from feelings.

>Yes.

[citation needed]
>>
>>63377047

Season 3 has been confirmed

>>
>>63377958
>That or you didn't understand where the goalposts were in the first place.

I just fucking quoted it, dumb dumb.

>>63375809
and>>63375966

see?

>>63377984

You said you didn't post a link. You did. That's the only point there is.
>>
>>63378003
>That has nothing to do with whether season 3 of True Detective is going to happen, dumb dumb.

Yeah it does. They said it will if he wants it to.

>Then that's citing a fact about how they STATE they fell, dumb dumb. Not how they actually feel. That's why the news stays away from feelings.

Besides the point.

>[citation needed]

I did already.
>>
File: 1424483901485.png (193 KB, 380x403) Image search: [Google]
1424483901485.png
193 KB, 380x403
>>63376381
>>
>>63378026

>Season 3 has been confirmed

That's clickbait with nothing in the content confirming season 3, dumb dumb.

If season 3 were ACTUALLY confirmed, it would be all over and not just on some blog with no information in it.
>>
>>63378046

> They said it will if he wants it to.

[citation needed]

>Besides the point.

No, the point is that you can cite how a corporation feels. You can cite the lip service they give regarding their investments.
>>
>>63378046

>i did already

No you haven't cited anything confirming there will be a season 3 of True Detective.

Here are links to the posts you are trying to bury

>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

JUST for Pizza?
>>
>>63378039
>I just fucking quoted it, dumb dumb.

You quoted things that had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. You argue they do and I moved the goalposts. I didn't. Also, >>63375966 is true, the fact that it might not if Nic decides otherwise is an arbitrary detail because that's always true.

>You said you didn't post a link. You did. That's the only point there is.

I said I didn't make a post. This one >>63377243. And I didn't.
>>
>>63378060

It's not clickbait, its literally a quote directly from Steve Golin who produced both seasons.

The reason its not on all over Vanity fair and the like is because it hasn't officially been ordered yet. Probably because Pizzolatto is still writing it.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

Holy shit, I had heard he did some lifting but this is atrocious!
>>
>>63378096
>[citation needed]

I did already.

>No, the point is that you can cite how a corporation feels. You can cite the lip service they give regarding their investments.

That wasn't my point. I don't care about your point.
>>
>>63378213
>its literally a quote directly from Steve Golin

Then why isn't he quoted in the blog?
>>
>>63378125
>Here are links to the posts you are trying to bury

I will post links to them at the end of every post I make in this thread from now on just to prove I was doing no such thing, you paranoid weirdo.

>63376080
>63376108
>63376127
>(still not verbatim)
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

this is like the most blatant plagiarizing i've ever seen
>>
>>63378258

Watch a Tarantino film sometime.
>>
>>63378235

>Look, I think that the scripts weren't as good, and Nic (Pizzolatto) felt like he really didn't want to go with the one-director plan, which was something that I think really added an extra value to it... sometimes you have a good [season], sometimes you don't. But Nic is wildly talented, but I think that this one just wasn't as good ... Now we're gonna do season 3 and I think that one will be better.

the video is linked in the post. Watch it yourself.
>>
File: 1445097223130.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1920) Image search: [Google]
1445097223130.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1920
>>63375394
>So, big guy, what is it?
>>
>>63378308

tarantino acknowledges his inspirations.
>>
>>63378318

>the video

Nowhere in the video does Steve Golin say HBo has greenlit season 3 of True Detective.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127
damn
>>
>>63378213

> its literally a quote directly from Steve Golin who produced both seasons.

So? Golin isn't an HBO executive. Golin doesn't speak for HBO.
>>
>>63375183
Don't forget, the whole season 1 premise is loosely based around satanic cult shock of the 80s, and the true horror existing like the Franklin Credit Union child ring in the USA. Not to say it's bad but it's not quite original.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

PLAGIARISM BUMP.
>>
>>63378644

So does Pizza. It just didn't get widely publicized because all the inflammatory articles calling him a plagiarizer garnered more attention.
>>
>>63378787
Cult plots, itself, haven't been original for a century or more.
>>
>>63378714

HBO has signed an overall deal with Nic Pizzolatto that basically says there is going to be a season 3 unless he doesn't want to. I'd say that's close enough. It's almost certainly going to happen.
>>
>>63378818

Only under pressure in interviews. Liggoti is credited nowhere. Tarantino puts his Blacksploitation inspirations in the credits.
>>
>>63378854
>HBO has signed an overall deal with Nic Pizzolatto

Yes, and that isn't a green light for Season 3. Your interpretation of what might be isn't what is right now.
>>
>>63378841

I don't think True Detective is ever something that claimed to be original. Hell, even the show's name is from some magazine published in the 20's. It is very much like Tarantino films in that it is an amalgamation of influences. So the fact that there's a particular dialogue heavy scene that has a lot of stuff that sounds awfully similar to the book of some obscure cosmic horror writer doesn't bother me as much as it would otherwise. Also, when you think about it, it probably gave Ligotti a lot more attention and notice. I'd argue this was Pizza's intention but I can't prove it of course. Tarantino is the same way... he is doing what he does hoping that you will go watch the movies he's imitating. Some people call him a hack too. I guess that kind of thing just isn't for everyone. Besides, Season 2 was way more original and a lot of people hated it.
>>
>>63378969

>I don't think True Detective is ever something that claimed to be original.

That claim is inherent unless explicitly stated otherwise.
>>
>>63378884

I don't see why you are fixating on that detail like it is so important. It is overwhelmingly likely that True Detective will continue in some form. Really all sources make it sound like the only person standing in the way of it happening right now is the creator himself. Is it just because you hated Season 2?
>>
>>63378997

But that's not true at all, anon. Films do not require a bibliography.
>>
>>63379009
>I don't see why you are fixating on that detail like it is so important.

It is important to note that HBO hasn't given the go ahead for season 3 in an argument about whether HBO has given the go ahead for season 3.

You say it has. You provide no evidence for this.

This is telling.
>>
>>63379036

>films

This isn't film.

That's what "an original series" means, dumb dumb.
>>
>>63379049

That's not what I'm arguing, though. I don't have to have the argument you want to have. It takes two to have an argument.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127
this makes me so mad
>>
>>63379090

I don't care what you claim to be arguing or not arguing. I respond to your dumb dumb posts and BYTFO.
>>
>>63379077

No, that's not what it means actually. In industry terms, original means something that is not an intellectual property. It doesn't mean that it won't be a Tarantino-esque hodgepodge of things we've seen before, it just means it isn't a sequel or a remake.
>>
Say what you want, his victim monologue is amazing.

>They welcomed it....
>>
>>63379118

You seem to have a very high opinion of yourself for being so stupid. I'm talking about a show I find interesting on a discussion board and you keep chiming in with autistic little fact check posts that I don't care about. You are barely registering as a blip on my radar. You should really do something else with your time.
>>
>>63379123
>No, that's not what it means actually.

Yes, it is.

>Tarantino

He readily acknowledges and credits his inspirations.

Pizza had to get called out on them.
>>
>>63379193

You've literally been talking to no one else here for the past hour or more. If you don't like it, leave.
>>
>>63379154

That whole sequence where he's running through the strange ruins, piles of shoes, and what not made that last episode for me. I really did not find it disappointing because it was so amazingly directed by Fukunaga. I'll admit the second season had less of a unified vision from episode to episode because it wasn't the same guy directing each one - you get that same feeling in The Knick because Soderbergh directs all of them - but I still liked it.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127
so when is HBO going to get sued?
>>
>>63379238

No.
>>
>>63379305

I didn't think so, dumb dumb.
>>
>>63379207

You can think what you want but when it comes to movies and television, that's what they use the term to mean. Anything that is not already an intellectual property. Something can be derivative as fuck but if it isn't a sequel or a remake, it is technically "original". Obviously that thing will be criticized for being derivative but that is how the industry uses the term.
>>
>>63379351

... What? You are such an autistic fuck.
>>
>>63379377
>You can think what you want but when it comes to movies and television, that's what they use the term to mean.

That's exactly what I said the term means. Hence contradicting your claim "I don't think True Detective is ever something that claimed to be original."
>>
>>63379304

Never. Ligotti is really reclusive and probably doesn't want the attention a lawsuit would create. Also Pizza would argue he always meant to reference Ligotti's work and no one would really be able to *prove* otherwise. Especially with HBO's legal team behind him, lol.
>>
>>63379422

It never did claim to be original.
>>
>>63379441

Ligotti doesn't have to be the one to sue.

> Also Pizza would argue he always meant to reference Ligotti's work and no one would really be able to *prove* otherwise.

The proof is in the fact that Pizza never referenced Ligotti's work.
>>
>>63379476

Again, that's what "an original series" means, dumb dumb. It means that it isn't already registered IP.
>>
>>63379476

>original doesn't mean original

K.
>>
>>63379483
>Ligotti doesn't have to be the one to sue.

Who else would take the time to show up to court, hire a lawyer, and devote all that money and time? Even if Ligotti's publishing company did that it would probably be settled out of court for some undisclosed sum. It's not like TD would be pulled off the shelves.

>The proof is in the fact that Pizza never referenced Ligotti's work.
What? He totally did. There are posts in this very thread with all the stuff referenced from Ligotti's book A Conspiracy Against The Human Race.
>>
>>63379587
>Who else would take the time to show up to court

The person who sues doesn't have to show up to court. That's what lawyers are for.

In fact, it probably wouldn't even go to court. HBO would just pay to settle.
>>
>>63375366
>so, big guy, what is it?
Bravo /tv/
>>
>>63379518

Right. And True Detective wasn't a registered IP, unless you count the magazine from the 20's. It being derivative doesn't change the fact that it's considered an original property by HBO
>>
>>63379587

>He totally did.

No...he didn't. Are you retarded? Plagiarizing isn't referencing. A reference requires a citation or a credit.
>>
>>63379535

I think it's kind of silly too, but that's how the industry uses the term. It means anything that isn't a sequel or a remake. A show saying "An Original HBO Series" or a movie saying something similar is unfortunately no guarantee you're actually getting something that is "original" by the texbook definition.
>>
>>63379633
>And True Detective wasn't a registered IP

...which is why it's an original series, claims to be an original series, purporting to be of original material, dumb dumb.
>>
>>63379620
>The person who sues doesn't have to show up to court. That's what lawyers are for.
That all depends, honestly.
>In fact, it probably wouldn't even go to court. HBO would just pay to settle.
I just said that.
>>
>>63379674
>but that's how the industry uses the term.

[citation needed]

>It means anything that isn't a sequel or a remake.

Yes. Something original. Thus, it claims to be original.

>It claims to be original but not how you mean original

K.
>>
>>63379667

So you expect there to be a little asterisk with a text blurb providing sources in the corner of the screen during the episode? I'm pretty sure no one does that and there's all kinds of totally derivative shit out these days.
>>
>>63379713
>That all depends, honestly.

Not at all, honestly. This isn't a murder trial, dumb dumb. I can sue you for slander and never have to see your face.

>I just said that.

Then why are you arguing?
>>
>>63379696

Yeah that's not what it means.
>>
>>63379760

No. There's something called the credits. Are you familiar with this? A list of people credited in the creation of a piece of television or film?
>>
>>63379774

I'm not arguing. Why are you so defensive?
>>
>>63379779

K.

>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

wow would you look at that!
>>
>>63379798
>I'm not arguing.

K.
>>
>>63379792

Ah, so you wanted there to be some kind of "Inspired by the works of" in the credits? Sorry anon, no such luck. I personally don't care that much, there are a lot of other things about the show to enjoy. But that's just me.
>>
>>63379836

K.

>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

ho boy!
>>
>this guy only saying "k" and calling everyone a "dumb dumb" when he can't make a coherent argument

Its like watching third graders argue
>>
>>63379864
b-b-b-b-but i thought you weren't arguing...
>>
>>63379812

Wait what? I'm saying it can legally still claim to be original and have "An Original HBO Series" labelled on it and be derivative. If you're saying that's wrong, I tend to agree with you.
>>
>>63376080
>>63376108
>>63376127

How did he get away with it?
>>
>>63379864
>>63379896

Also doesn't seem to understand that there are other people posting in the thread...
>>
>>63379903

> I'm saying it can legally still claim to be original and have "An Original HBO Series" and still not claim to be original

K.

>>63379926

>not samefag i swear!
>>
>>63379921

The world is a fucked up place, bud.
>>
>>63379861

Yeah, I saw them already...
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.