[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
has there ever been a worse decline in any other show/series/saga?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 7
has there ever been a worse decline in any other show/series/saga?
>>
Game of Thrones.
Homeland.

Those two are still somewhat watchable, though. Then you have The Walking Dead. Season 1 was actually pretty good by AMC standards, but it all went downhill from there.
>>
>>63371695
Fargo
>>
>>63371695

Last Man on Earth
>>
True Detective
>>
His beard looks photoshopped on.
Also no.
>>63371745
Fargo was good throughout, it's just that saying it's trash is obviously wrong, so you contrarian autists instead say
>w-well it declined and eventually became trash
Faggo
>>
Heroes
>>
>>63371785
Faggot, back to reddit.
>>
>>63371735
So NO.
>>
>>63371800

This

Shit was heartbreaking too because it was so enjoyable to start with
>>
True Detective came close.
Heroes depending on how much you likes Season 1.
>>
>>63371833
Dexter was still watchable even towards the end, m8. Sure it eas stupid, but it wasn't TWD level stupid.
>>
>>63371800
I really liked season 1, but it sure went downhill. I never even watched the last season.
>>
>>63371695
>Then you have The Walking Dead. Season 1 was actually pretty good by AMC standards, but it all went downhill from there.
Didn't really go downhill until Season 3 with Andrea and Governor acting like fucking retards. If you like Brian Blake even as a villain before Season 4 then you're a cockgobbler. Show redeemed itself from there. Nothing matches what Showtime did with Dexter.
>>
>>63371825
No rebuttal or reasoning, just
>R-reddit fag pls go
You tried little guy.
>>
>>63371872
>Season 3 of the walking dead
>worse than Season 2

Are there actually people who believe Season 2 of TWD isn't one of the biggest atrocities of television in general, let alone the show?
>>
Misfits
>fucking near perfect first season
>starts off strong and decent in the second season.
>declines immediately around the halfway - 3/4 mark
>goes complete shit as soon as they dropped their abilities and the 3rd season starts

it has been a long fucking while since i've seen a series drop in quality so fucking fast.
>>
>>63372119
>goes complete shit as soon as they dropped their abilities
Isn't them having powers like the entire point?
>>
Game of Thrones is close
>>
>>63371800
To be fair, i think it's because of the writer's strike
>>
>>63372119
This 2bh. I can't fathom the direction of the writing. I think they tried to be different, by killing and replacing their cast for example, but the execution was just bad
>>
>>63372153
the plot goes that they met a man who can 'store', 'buy' and 'sell' other people's powers and abilities.

one of them convinces the group to sell their abilities and of course after that happens, shit happens and then they get new powers back b/c reasons and que 3rd season with one of the most entertaining cast members gone and replaced with 2 new cunts.
>>
>>63371695
>has there ever been a worse decline in any other show/series/saga?

Heroes
True Blood
>>
Community

>Season one was great with an awesome ending
>s2 was edgier but still good
>s3 was when the decline started
>s4 was below average
>s5 was wtf tier
>s6 was thank god this shit has ended
>>
>>63372172
So what's Heroes Reborn's excuse?
>>
>>63371695
House

Hate all you want but there was a serious decline around season 5 and last season was just painful to watch.
>>
>>63371872
>Didn't really go downhill until Season 3

Season 2 of the walking dead is one of the worst pieces of shit ever filmed.
>>
>>63372262

I blame the forced Cuddy/House relationship.
>>
>>63371872
>S2
>Turning a survival post-apocalypse comfy show into your average Brazilian drama.
>Stretching content for 12 episodes

JUST
>>
>>63371756
why?
i've only watched a couple of episodes of the first season
>>
>>63371695
What are you talking about, Dexter finale is GOAT, I'm happy that there will be a new season
>>
>>63372313
People who weren't watching at the time won't ever really understand how bad it was. Every episode we thought they would find sophia and get the fuck off the farm.
>>
>>63372507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBRvhIV81hY
>>
>>63371872
There is a reason for that. The writer for season one had all his friends to be on the show. The AMC screwed him over.
>>
Prison Break
>>
>>63371695
Prison Break
>>
>>63371735
Game of Thrones and Homeland go up and down though. They have terrible storylines/episodes, and then suddenly things appear that are some of the best in the series.
Dexter on the other hand just kept a steady decline until the last episode where it just destroyed itself completely.
>>
>>63371735
Yea, poor GoT. Season 1 was divine, seasons 2 and 3 were still pretty good. In season 4 it started going downhill. Season 5 was abysmal
>>
>>63372239
Nah, S4 was by far the worst. S5 and 6 atleast had some entertaining episodes
>>
>>63371735
>Homeland

You are wrong as fuck m8, Homeland is finishing up a great season. Also GOT just won the emmy for best drama.
>>
>>63371695
The Simpsons
Lost
True Detective
Heroes
Misfits
>>
File: Dafoe.jpg (23 KB, 150x158) Image search: [Google]
Dafoe.jpg
23 KB, 150x158
>no one said Battlestar Galactica yet

Worse last episode than Dexter.
>>
>>63373897
I thought the True Detective S2 sucks meme was over. I liked it just as much as season 1.

The only reason faggots hate it is because there wasn't an ebic Russ character and the plot was to confusing for them.
>>
Scrubs and parks and rec. both had their peak halfway through their run and then slowly crashed, all the fun characters quit/turned into shitty versions of themselves. Both had a completely unnecessary final season. I just hope parks stays dead and they don't revive it like scrubs
>>
>>63373972
>muh corridor
>muh caspere
>>
Hannibal Season 3. I mean what the fuck were they thinking? Were the writers all high when they were working?
>>
>>63374093
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>63374122
b8 disguised as an accusation of b8ing
interesting
>>
>>63371695
Rescue Me
>>
>>63373942

nothing beats sudden lumberjack.

I'm sorry, I don't give a shit how much you loved early BSG. It had religious shit since the first episode, it isn't their fault you didn't pay attention to anti-technology, RDM LDS bs.
>>
Skins (UK)
>>
>>63372220
Are you talking about Nathan? because Rudy was GOAT funniest cast member of every season, nathan was shite
>>
Not even trying to be contrarian here, but Breaking Bad S5A was disgusting compared to the rest of the show.
>>
How come most shows decline during their run? Shows that are consistently good are really rare.
>>
>>63372868

GoT doesn't go up and down, it's been getting consistently worse. Largely due to the freedom of D&D in having more of a creative influence and able to write more of it (they're fucking hacks and can't write for shit), there are large setpieces and big event episodes thrown in every now and then to keep interest and excitement up but beyond those the last season was absolutely dire and those before have been a consistent decline to the shit quality it is now.

Dexter was a depressing decline of television quality and the ending was just awful, but I really think I'd have to say that in terms of the fundamentals of what makes good/competent television and writing, the last season of GoT displayed more failure.

True Detective was okay, it just tried to do things too differently and had a huge standard to meet. It didn't particularly stand out as bad quality or just plain shit unless you compare it to the quality of the first series.
>>
>>63373972
I thought the people that liked TDS2 were joking. Seriously, and no offense, but I don't know how anyone can enjoy that trainwreck of a season
>>
X-Files
My Name is Earl
Family Guy
Smallville
Prison Break
That 70's Show
Weeds
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Battlestar Galactica
>>
>>63372262
I only saw the first two seasons and loved it, but never really paid any attention to the rest. Then last year I saw the last episode on tv by chance. What the fuck happened to this show?
>>
>>63371868
>TWD level stupid

Are you fucking kidding me ? TWD is somewhat enjoyable

dexter became so fucking retarded

>that whole aging software

fuck off
>>
>>63374093
>>63374180
>>63374286
>>63372830
>>63373942
>>63371695
>>63371735
>>63371756
>>63371800
>>63372239
>>63372262

To have a decline worth talking about a show needs to be good in the first place.
>>
Anyone that replies to the post above is a retard.
>>
>>63374370
"Look at me! I think everything is bad!"
>>
TWD is pretty bad sometimes, mostly with inconsistency in the world and writing, but I don't think it's been a huge decline.

The consistency in the show is really shit, but I think unless you really really generalised and compared it against the pilot alone then it's difficult to say it's seen some significant or dramatic decline.
>>
>>63373873
>Also GOT just won the emmy for best drama.
your point?
>>
>>63374093
Hannibal was never good.
>>
File: STOP IT.jpg (30 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
STOP IT.jpg
30 KB, 640x360
>>63373897
Came here just to call the dickhead naming Lost a faggot.
>>
>>63371872
I always hated the governor because he seemed like a caricature, and as the show goes along it becomes more and more like a cartoon. He was the gateway for this.

When it started it seemed more grounded in reality, now you've got dumb characters like abraham, eugene and the priest. none of them even look remotely believable in the setting. Daryl's character did a complete 180 for no aparent reason other than to make the fans like him.

The only thing they did right was stopped making michonne be some weird bitch with 1 emotion on her face at all times, they actually made her a character but she still sucks.
>>
>>63374419

"Look at me! I know what I watch is shit but I don't want to defend it, lets have a sarcasm party!"
>>
>>63374242

The production team either runs out of steam, gets replaced by people who don't know what the fuck they're doing, or both.
>>
>>63373560
abysmal? really? Compared to what?
>>
>>63374440
List of shows that have won the best drama emmy since 2000

Breaking Bad
Homeland
Mad Men
The Sopranos
Lost
The West Wing

You would have to be a contrarian faggot to not see that those are all great shows and great seasons to TV.
>>
>>63371695
Fringe
>>
>>63374548
using an emmy as a defense for it being a good show in and of itself is stupid, you've got emilia clarke's wooden acting getting her nominated and shit like american horror story wins awards. to win best drama they have to be meme shows to some extent and game of thrones absolutely is. its always sunny has never been nominated for an emmy and the wire didnt get nominated till season 5
>>
>>63374547

Compared with good quality television or even the fucking earlier seasons.

How can someone not recognise the last season as bad quality? The writing is utter shit.

Essenially the only reason it's still praised is because of fuckwits who have now invested into it and want to catch up every week on where their television friends will be in the latest installment of the ebin fantasy drama. :DDD
>>
>>63374460
Seasons 1&2 of Hannibal were great. Stop being a faggot.
>>
>>63374290
I've been rewatching them lately, I remembered liking 5 a lot but now I think it's trash, it's funny because I remember 6 being the worst thing ever.

1 and 2 had some good existentialist themes to them and they just dropped it, they seem to come back in the last 2 seasons, which was the only part of those seasons I liked because House was depressed and there were different weekly victims with similair problems.

1 had different story arcs then 2 had the arc with House's ex wife which was pretty good but it only lasted for half a season and the last half was just shit like chase and cameron romance plot.

3 has one arc with a cop who is mad at house for being such an asshole, it's pretty good but a bit over the top and it ends quickly as well leaving you with nothing at the last half of the season, it just gets a bit boring.

4 gets better because they bring in a new cast but the writers keep on the old cast in some capacity, like they were afraid if these ones didn't work out they would bring them in for emergency. They sometimes bring them back for arbitrary scenes and i wish they would have let them go. Foreman was the only character who worked.

5 is pretty shit because cuddy gets more attention and it actually feels like a show made for women.
>>
>>63374675
the show was abandoned any sense of internal consistency, i mean do we really need to bring up the 20 good men thing or the fact that stannis just marched his whole army straight up to winterfell with no formation with no forward scouts or anything and was completely surprised by this massive unexplained army. he burns his daughter cause they lost all their food and siege equipment and then the next episode melisandre's like, "ah yeah it worked see the snow has melted" and their lack of food is never fucking mentioned again. littlefinger giving sansa to the boltons makes absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever, and they have sansa start some character arc where she's becoming a manipulative player and then when ramsay rocks up to fuck her on her wedding night she's somehow completely unprepared for that
>>
Sopranos season 6 is so much worse than season 1 it's not even funny.
>>
>>63374657
I don't understand the hate GOT gets here, the show is praised EVERYWHERE and by EVERYONE but /tv/ (this is why you pretend to hate it)

Everyone will watch the new season and that includes /tv/, do you try hard haters pretend you won't watch it next year?
>>
Declined badly after season 1:
True Blood
Community
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Homeland

Breaking Bad
BSG
House
My Name is Earl
Mad Men
Lost
Fringe
>>
>>63374547
The rest of the show. Dorne was a disgrace, Arya was boring, Stannis in the North was an insult. Sansa in Winterfell made no sense at all. Cersei had the only good storyline in the entire season
>>
>>63374883
That's not true /lit/ hates it too, in fact /lit/ hates the books as well while the books on /tv/ are revered as holy tomes.
>>
>>63374902
Community didn't start declining till season 4.
>>
>>63374925
/lit/ are a bunch of pretentious pseudo-intellectuals. They hate everything that´s not a "real literature"

>>63374941
Agreed, while season 3 may have been too wacky at times it was still funny
>>
>>63374508
>and as the show goes along it becomes more and more like a cartoon

Show based on a cartoon becomes more like a cartoon. So it's a better and better adaptation?
>>
File: Back_to_leddit.gif (471 KB, 474x379) Image search: [Google]
Back_to_leddit.gif
471 KB, 474x379
>>63374902
>Homeland
>>
>>63371735
Oh, man. Homeland's steep descent after that fantastic first season was almost heartbreaking.
>>
>>63374370
What is a good show in your opinion
>inb4 none
>>
>>63375059
Carnivale.
>>
>>63374883

Everyone I know who's either read the books or appreciates good writing quality hates the state of the show.

>dude awards lmao

D&D are fucking hacks.
>>
File: stop.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>63374902
>Breaking Bad
>>
How are more people not suggesting The Simpsons?

Literally moved from the number one television show ON EARTH, to an irrelevant politically correct pile of Korean colours and shapes.
>>
>>63374192
You're not alone anon, S5B mostly redeemed the show (besides the weaker finale) but S5A was like a fucking Saturday morning cartoon
>>
>>63375203
It's basically just bizarre premises that lasts 5 mins at the start, songs/celeb appearances to pad it out and zero jokes for fucking years. Easily the biggest fall ever
>>
That 70s show
>>
>>63375203
Kinda funny how it was initially famous for being pollitically incorrect and now it´s really tame
>>
>>63374264
>they're fucking hacks and can't write for shit
eh, they've had plenty of nice show inventions(fleshed out Tywin and the spy vs spy Varys, Littlefinger scenes come to mind) and also made some smart changes from the source material. Calling everyone a hack is starting to get annoying, that being said they severly dropped the ball this season. I hope they can recover and try and up the quality of all the different storylines.
>>
>>63371745
Fargo season 2 is way better than season 1 (which was mediocre) so talking of decline is objectively wrong.
>>
>>63374093
Season 3 was honestly the only Hannibal season I liked. How can people enjoy monster of the week shit?
>>
>>63375635

>Stannis
>Cersei
>bad pussy
>sand snakes in general
>Dorne in general
>Jamie x Cersei
>Jon as Lord Commander
>Littlefinger
>most of Arya in Braavos
>Sansa after King's Landing

All I can think of for now, but all of those have had D&D come up with original or deviated writing and it has all been invariably shit.
>>
>>63375761

>How can people enjoy monster of the week shit?

Season 2 significantly cut down on Killers of the week and focused more on Hannibal and Will, but I guess you were face deep in black cock to ever notice what was going on in the show, you fucking retard.
>>
>>63375800
Typical monster of the week babby losing his composure.
>>
>>63375761
The Red Dragon was the best part of the show and I enjoyed all 3 seasons
>>
>>63375781

Oh fuck, I didn't even fucking mention:

>Dany
>Tyrion
>pretty much everything in Essos to be honest

Not that the novels are flawless of course, or that even the Essos material is decent in them - but the narrative and writing is almost always far better quality than what D&D come up with.
>>
>>63375781
People think that D&D didn't save the show, the last two books had huge parts that sucked and they managed to make it interesting.
>>
>>63375841

I have to say I agree with this. I love the novels and films, and I think Hannibal was best when it stuck to the actual universe more (ie, the Red Dragon storyline).

Mads was a fantastic Hannibal but (aside from the twist stuff which redeemed 2 to some extent), some of the OC was a little cringe. The series is still a pretty good and interesting addition to the Hannibal universe, though, you can tell Fuller cares about it.
>>
>>63375896

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the tv adaptation of the last book was better than the original novel? Because that's beyond stupid.
>>
>>63374902
>24

fuck you
>>
>>63371695
Nothing comes even close in decline, GoT is on its way, though. TWD was never good so there's no decline.

>>63371745
Bait.

>>63371868
It was full-blown telenovela with its subplots at the end of S08.
>>
>>63375991

Not him, and it didn't decline badly, but the original show was brilliant and then it just sort of fell into not pushing itself or introducing much new stuff.

Not that I'm suggesting that tv needs to do that to be consistently good, but the most appeal of 24 was the style of narrative and interesting approach to creating drama and tension - and it kind of ended up relying on the formula it established early on.
>>
>>63374512
Defend from what? You're not making any arguments
>>
>>63375951
Maybe the reason season 5 wasn't as good as season 1 was because A Dance with Dragons wasn't as good as A Game of Thrones.

Sansa story>Jenne Poole

I could give more examples but what was so bad about season 5 minus Dorne which I will concede.

>inb4 muh Stannis
>>
File: 1427503785616.jpg (30 KB, 400x540) Image search: [Google]
1427503785616.jpg
30 KB, 400x540
>>63375075
>mfw i will never get over the fact that it got cancelled

I'm more sad about Carnivalé gettin cancelled than Deadwood, people just weren't ready for a show like that.
>>
>>63376065
There are not that many new ways for Jack to torture a suspect before the bomb blows up.

24 is what it is, it hasn't changed much from season 1 and thats not a bad thing
>>
>>63376157

When I said 'Sansa' I didn't mean the change to the plot, that would be fine if it was done well - but since King's Landing she's been written inconsistently and she's now barely relatable, sympathetic or interesting. And that would be fine if the whole purpose was for her to have little agency within the story and just be someone to suffer and be played, but they can't seem to establish this because at every opportunty they'll change the writing style and make her have strength and independence and 'wow she'll come into her own and be a whole significant character'.

It's like Cersei, the writing of both their characters has almost totally changed. I have a feeling it's because within the story both of their characters basically completely lose control to some degree and just become 'pawns'. It's inconsistent and most of the time just a joke. Cersei was actually and unironically written sympathetically in the series.

I'm glad you recognise Dorne as shit, it was definitely the worst, but Jon as Lord Commander and Castle Black in general were also atrocious - the writing of the final events was so bad that if you actually think about it then it just becomes funny.

The novels do have weak points, but the series is and has been demonstrably better when it sticks to the material and doesn't try to create original stories and deviations (because, by and large, they don't fit with the rest, have inferior writing quality and are hammy and a waste).
>>
>>63371695
i must have been out of my goddamned mind to sit through the last 3 seasons of dexter but i actually thought he would be caught or killed in the end and somehow i thought would redeem it
>>
>>63376538

This. Since around Ice Truck Killer I guess, I was anticipating and thinking about how it would come to an end the whole time and I was totally disappointed, especially after sitting through whole seasons of the 'muh dark passenger' edge. It was built up so much and it just wasn't an end or conclusion.

Wait a minute, was Deb the protagonist all along?
>>
>>63371800
It really saddens me to think about how much potential the original Heroes had.

>>63372253
I'm thinking NBC skimped out on the budget for them last second, so they had to make a lot of changes, leaving the script to look like a high school film project.
>>
>>63376746

iktf, Heroes could have been great but just descended into a mess of plot.

Heroes was one of the shows hit by that writer strike, wasn't it? If so, do you think that was partially to blame or didn't have much impact.

Also, wasn't that 'Flashforward' or whatever it was meant to be somehow related to Heroes, like some of the same writers or something? Or did it just come along after Heroes ended and a lot of the fans attached to it? I remember that being sealclubbed before it could take off.
>>
>>63372465

Season 2 is Crash-tier
>>
>>63371695
Season 8.....
>>
>>63376711

I also thought he would be caught. Too much single dad stuff (with this annoying kid). Should have ended in Hello, Dexter Morgan.

I guess the final shot was some kind of anti-smirk in relation to credits.
>>
>>63374180
Yeah :/ Series 1 and 2 was great.. 3 and 4 was okayy and then the last two seasons where fucking dreadful

Even worse was the idea to do the final three story set up to tie up loose ends which did the exact opposite..
>>
>>63374192
Should of just finished it at Season 4 really..
>>
>>63374460
this tb.h fæm
>>
>>63376992
deb finding out he's a serial killer and her not immediately not turning him in and/or dexter having to kill her to remain free was the worst thing they did and flanderized both of their characters
>>
>>63377224
Dex would never kill Deb

>inb4 that mercy kill in the end
>>
>>63372172
That's no excuse, fàm. Friday Night Lights went downhill in season 2 because of the Writers Strike, but it came back and delivered a phenomenal 3 more seasons.
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.