[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about this movie is it good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 26
File: akira.jpg (2 MB, 3360x2100) Image search: [Google]
akira.jpg
2 MB, 3360x2100
Tell me about this movie is it good
>>
>>63371326
yes, if you enjoy cyberpunk stuff, but the end is weird as fuck
>>
>>63371346
I heard it's like Lucy. I love cyberpunk shit.
>>
I watched it once. It's shit
>>
It's okay for weeb anime shit.
>>
Overrated, but still good

don't understand the hype
>>
A common opinion is that the story isn't great (unlike in the manga), but the aesthetics make it worth seeing.

>>63371452
By definition it cannot be weeb.
>>
Visually it's top tier but everything else in regards to it is slightly above mediocre.
>>
babys first anime
>>
>>63371719
Im about to go full weeb I'm a faggot so it makes sense.
>>
Cool story, perfect 80s cyberpunk visuals and GOAT soundtrack
>>
>>63371326
Yes it is. It has pacing problems, but the atmosphere, the animation and the music are top-notch.

Pretty much one of the few animes that have some artistic value.

That said, the transcendent scope of the comic is completely lost.
>>
File: colonel-shikishima.jpg (25 KB, 457x360) Image search: [Google]
colonel-shikishima.jpg
25 KB, 457x360
>Men, we're going to the Olympics!

What did he mean?
>>
>>63371765
There's more than a few anime that have artistic value.
>>
>>63371326

It looks like pure sex in context of when it was made, the design elements were fantastic and it did some pretty neat things with the animation. It also sort of legitimized Japanese Animation in the west.

The story and the characters are all bullshit nonsense but it is visually stunning.
>>
I normally hate dubs but the original 80's English Dub is so cheesy it's good, prefer it to original Japanese.
>>
>>63371326
its literally the story of a 16 year old kid saving the world from his 16 year old supervillain friend who went nuclear

its basically
>avatar: the anime
mind blowing visuals but awful storytelling
>>
>>63371326
From a technical standpoint it's impressive. It's got smooth frame-by-frame animations and great backgrounds.

From a story standpoint it's utter shit. Literally Dragonball Z levels of idiocy. Power levels going over 9000, lots of incoherent screaming, and explosions make up a majority of the film's running time.
>>
Visually it's great, the fact you're asking means you're a pleb so you'll enjoy whatever you get fed. eat up shithead
>>
File: lel.gif (1 MB, 218x218) Image search: [Google]
lel.gif
1 MB, 218x218
>>63371808
sure thing fám
suuuure thing
>>
>>63371851
>>63371853
So it's awesome. Alright.
>>
Akira, Fist of the North Star and both Vampire Hunter D are the only manga films anyone should see.
>>
>>63371876
Yes, it is a sure thing. That's why I said it.

Just because Akira is one of the only anime you've seen doesn't mean it's one of the only good ones.
>>
>>63371936
Recommend me more scifi top tier anime. It has to be good though, I hate japanese shit and anime seems a bit childish.
>>
>>63371956
where do you think are you, reddit?
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16 KB, 320x371
>>63371922
>manga films
>>
>>63371326
Watch it and form your own god damn opinion, moron.
>>
>>63371956
Patlabor 1-3
Ghost in the Shell 1-2
Memories
Paprika
Metropolis
A Farewell to Arms (last segment of Short Peace)

Those are all movies.
>>
>>63371956
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Mobile Suit Gundam: War in the Pocket
Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Paprika
Kaiba
>>
>>63371956
Lucky Star
Hidamari Sketch
Yuru Yuri
Yuri Kuma Arashi
Toradora
Bakemonogatari
>>
>>63371956
Macross Plus (one of the most technically impressive anime)
Macross: Do You Remember Love? (Not as good as the TV version but looks nicer)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (watch if you want to see SHADING)
Ghost in the shell
MD Geist
Jin-Roh
Metropolis
REDLINE
>>
>>63371326
It's very good Anon, the story may not be your cup of tea but the visuals and the art style more than make up for it

It's one of the most unique animated films and along with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind are the essential 80s animated films

See both of them and form your own opinion. Don't let the hype reduce your enjoyment of these masterpieces
>>
>>63371956
Neon Genesis Evangelion is sci-fi and it's pretty much perfect if you hate anime. Just bear with the character building, it can get really anime sometimes, but in the end it's really worth it.
>>
>>63372646
I can't watch NGE, I'm allergic to mecha and imo it looks very childish and edgy just for the shake of edginess

I like non-otaku anime if that makes sense

Komm Süsser Tod is a great song though
>>
File: 1444956168055.jpg (40 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
1444956168055.jpg
40 KB, 500x540
>>63372646
>neon genesis evangelion
>>
>>63371346
That end, i still don't fully understand it.
>>
>>63372799
Tetsuo was becoming his own universe, Akira put a stop to it before it could be complete.
>>
Jodorowski suggested that ending. Not even kidding
>>
>>63372708
NGE is anti-otaku and plays on your expectations.
I mostly dislike anime, but NGE is my favourite TV-series (1st season + EoE)
>>
I liked it better thinking it was about a crazy kid

The manga he was a psycho from the start
>>
>>63371326
It looks and sounds awesome but kind of makes a mess of telling a story. It's still one of the best looking animated movies ever made so it's definitely worth a look.

>>63371956
Most of the replies you got will probably seem overwhelming because they're throwing weird shit at you with no context. Look at these:

>Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
It's a police thriller set in an alternate history Japan in the 60's. The alternate history stuff is all low-key, it's all about the protagonist dealing with real human bean stuff and internal conflict between different branches of the police. Very cool stuff.

>Royal Space Force
Behind Akira I think this might be the highest budget on an anime. Have you ever seen the movie Contact? Because this movie's pretty much Contact with more style and subtlety. It bombed tragically hard and not many people talk about it but it's really great. See if you can spot Brian Cranston in the English dub.

>Vampire Hunter D
Imagine Shane crossed with Conan the Barbarian. This one's easy to watch because it's very heavily western in tone and the English dub is great if a bit cheesy.

>Perfect Blue
If you like Dario Argento and Darren Arrenofsky this ought to do something for you. It's a psychological thriller about a singer trying to start an acting career. This one's tone is strange and the subject matter is much more Japanese than in the others but it's a very unique and solid movie.
>>
>>63372646
>>63372564
>>63372090
>>63372066
>plebs forgetting wings of honneamise
>>
File: 1448856619826.jpg (52 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1448856619826.jpg
52 KB, 720x480
>>63372872
>look it up
>it's true
>>
>>63372900
This guy knows whats up.
Also forget evangelion and people recommending it.
>>
>>63372900
>>63372926
The problem with RSF is that

the protagonist suddenly rapes a woman

It's one of the most stupid things in the history of anime.
>>
File: 1438754002291.jpg (17 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1438754002291.jpg
17 KB, 255x255
>>63372900
>behind akira I think this be the highest budget on an anime
Neither of those are even close
>>
>>63372976
Why is that a problem, other than if youre a pleb?
Its literally high literature tier to have a protagonist that human and flawed.
Also bitch asked for it.
>>
>>63372878
I have only seen small clips from EOE and NGE and I will tell you what I don't like

>Huge robots fighting with punches and kicks
>Constant high peached shouting and screaming (especially from Shinji)
>Minimal animation and huge watery bug-eyes
>The spandex the protagonists are wearing
>Their helmets look like ears (see Asuka)
>Random semi-religious iconography (aka edginess)

If this is not otaku and weeaboo I don't know what is
>>
>>63372993
At the time they were. Economic bubble. Read up on it. Japans bubble economy in the 80s was insane
>>
>>63372997
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>63372900
Perfect Blue is amazing
Satoshi Kon was a genius
>>
>>63373002
Weeaboo means wannabe Japanese. So you're saying Evangelion, a Japanese work made by Japanese people, is wannabe Japanese. Ok.
>>
>>63373022
fucking this..it's a very good drama
>>
>>63373002
This. Evangelion is as cliche Anime as it gets.
Its the kind of anime that drives off people interested in anime because its such bullshit
>>
>>63373008
I know about the economic bubble and the cartels in nihon
Your statement is still incorrect
>>
>>63373034
No, I am saying those who suggest Evangelion are weeaboo otakus

I think even Hideaki Anno would agree with this after reading his criticism on otaku-driven anime
>>
>>63372926
yawn.jpg
>>
>>63373002
Those aren't robots. They are monsters binded by armor. The helmets aren't in the anime, you are thinking of Rebuild.

Though I don't hate it. Its still a recommended anime to check out. Its more about the psychological troubles.

However that is also one of the biggest turn offs. Its like Pacific Rim but the characters don't have their shit together. That and its not exactly the best 10/10 when doing it too. Shinji and Asuka are unlikable cunts.
>>
>>63373012
No. Seriously. Flawed protagonists are pretty much gone in Media these days. Have you ever read high literature? The protagonists are often rapists, child molestors, murderers or morally ambigious characters.
This notion that a protagonist needs to be a heroic saint is pretty much the invention of disney and hollywood.
>>
>>63373046
What features had higher budget? Steamboy maybe
>>
Is it stupid and gay to watch anime?
>>
>>63371983
Kek
>>
>>63373076
>Huge mechanical bipedal machines driven by humans
>Not robots, but monsters

Semantics man, if it looks like a mecha, moves like a mecha, fights like a mecha, it is a mecha and I'm not interested in otaku anime with mechas
>>
Dominion: Tank Police
La Blue Girl
>>
>>63373096
No, but getting obsessed with anime is

In fact, getting obsessed with anything is gay
>>
>>63373070
Weeaboo and otaku are two different things.

Also, Evangelion was a mega hit in Japan, not just an otaku thing.

>>63373077
>No. Seriously.
Yes, I am indeed seriously telling you to return to >>>/r9k/.
>>
>>63373002
Evangelion was made specifically for anime fans and an adolescent demographic. People recommending it as entry level are incredibly frustrating because they're everywhere and despite their enthusiasm they don't seem to get what makes the show work. If you're the kind of person who'll really like Eva you've probably already seen it.

It's amazingly directed for a tv show to be sure, and it's pacing and developing story are excellent, but it's not the only show that does those things right and it's simply not for everyone. I was into it after about two minutes of the first episode but certain kinds of people (normalfaggots) simply won't like it and people need to accept that and stop trying.

>>63373022
I agree but I liked Millennium Actress more, it had more of that "golden age of hollywood/movies" feel to it.

>>63372976
Is this bait? I can never tell with this movie. It's the sincere reaction of 90% of the people who see the movie but it's also the surest way to piss off the other 10%.

I could write you an essay on why I think that scene not only doesn't harm the movie, but actually makes it better, but I think if you really believe that you'd be better off just watching it again. Pay close attention to how they act around each other and try to think of what they want from each other. There's no sure answer but there's certainly some sort of sense to be made of it.
>>
>>63373118
>fights like a mecha

But it doesnt? Like you said, they fight with punches and kicks.
Jesus dude, you have made it absolutely clear that you have no idea what you are talking about
>>
>>63373090
Steamboy has the highest budget of them all
Im pretty sure gundam unicorn had a big budget which is surprising considering it was 7 hours of dogshit animation
Redline probably has a huge budget
Metropolis
>>
>>63373150
>>/r9k/
>>
>>63373145
Go back to tumbler you shithead pleb who thinks fiction is "problematic " because his robotic autist mind cant into depths of the psyche and dislikes his media to show actual people instead of candy colored screaming kids in robots.
You are the definition of plebian
>>
>>63373096
For some reason or other it's a trend for failed normal people to congregate and talk about how much they love Attack on Titan or Sword Art Online (anime equivalents of capeshit). That's stupid and gay.

Anime culture is cancer, but anime doesn't have to be. Just avoid gatherings of self-professed fans and don't watch shit because it's anime, watch shit that sounds interesting and happens to be anime.
>>
>>63373135
>having hobbies is gay
>>
>>63373118
>The mechas are bio, not robotic. They bleed and the plots feel the pain
>Theres tons of episodes where they don't fight.
>The characters aren't moralfags
>The monster designs are fucking great and diverse.
>The tone is very bleak in the later episodes
The main character jerks off to his female co-worker in a coma

Thats all I can say
>>
>>63373150
I agree with you about Millenium Actress, it's wonderful with the the non-linear storytelling and how real life and fiction is entangled

Perfect was an amazing psychological thriller but it could be also an equally good live action film (hard, but doable)

Millenium Actress would only work as animation and it's a triumph of animation, proving how big studios like Disney and Pixar are holding the animation art from blooming

We need more Satoshi Kons in this world
>>
>>63371719
That would be Cowboy Bebop
>>
>>63373170
>Redline probably has a huge budget
Redline was made with strings and bubblegum.
Metropolis is shit, doubt that had any kind of budget and it soils the good Name of the original.
>>
>>63371956
Interstella 5555
Redline
Space Dandy
>>
>>63373229
Why can't you EVA fans accept that people are not interested in your kid anime show?
>>
>>63373231
>we need more Satoshi Kon's in this world
True, but we're getting less at a troubling rate. Kon died early, Bakshi's retiring after his last movie, Ghibli's losing Miyazaki soon.

Maybe France can save animation? They're willing to experiment like Japan but their appeal tends to be a bit more universal. Pretty sure Frogs made the music video for Dye Fantasy, they can get pretty creative over there.
>>
>>63373227
Having hobbies is good
Being obsessed with anything, especially with antisocial activities like obsessive anime watching, is stupid
>>
>>63373303
where do you think you ware
>>
>>63373218
There's nothing Tumblr about recognizing how fucking stupid it is for the hero to suddenly commit rape. Also rapists are not people.

Go back to >>>/r9k/ where you belong.

>>63373231
There in fact is a live action version of Perfect Blue. An adaptation of the original novel, that is.

http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/perfect-blue-yume-nara-samete/

>>63373285
>I've only heard of Kon and Miyazaki
There are other people making anime you know.
>>
>>63371361
It's nothing like Lucy. But Akira's the default comparison when the story involves awakening telekinesis, like Chronicle. Akira did it best, though. Film's badass, but has some weird anime style nonsensical plot stuff. It's forgivable, though, it was cut down from a 6 part book series that made more sense. Personally, I love the film. Still the best animation I've seen.
>>
>>63373314
You got a point there :^)

Still, I stand by my original opinion that obsessions are bad (and I am including myself to my criticism)
>>
>>63373323
I know there are other people making anime, but how many directors would you consider truly top tier right now? Plenty of great directors are still alive but not producing, how many really great things do we have to look forward to?

Also on the topic of directors, does anybody know what Anno's doing right now? Is he in the middle of some kind of breakdown or is he actually working?
>>
>>63373324
I'm the OP and that you responded to. I know that the ending of the movie is just like the ending of Lucy with the big bang starting. The powers is an obvious thing.

I've checked out the animation, it isn't as good as people are saying, it looks kind of dull, but hey I probably will watch it.
>>
File: pat.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pat.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
The problem with akira isn't really the story itself, it's the fact that it had to be cut down compared to original.

As a stand alone it's actually pretty damn decent. And of course everything else is top notch. Production value, music, atmosphere.
>>
>DUDE MEANINGLESS RELIGOUS SYMBOLISM LMAO

>>63373250
Metropolis had a $15 million dollar budget anon
>>
File: 2987093-6706101776-Andre.jpg (85 KB, 600x886) Image search: [Google]
2987093-6706101776-Andre.jpg
85 KB, 600x886
Hey OP, did you see Chronicle?

If yes, then you're not gonna be surprised by the movie.

If no, watch Akira then watch Chronicle-
>>
>>63373395
I think Kon and Miyazaki are revered not because they made good movies but because they made movies that the average Western anime viewer is comfortable with and has heard of.

>>63373405
>dull
You mean a lack of frantic over-acting like in Disney movies.
>>
>>63373323
Are you a parody? You write like a christian fundamentalist.
>>
>>63373444
OP here. Never watching Chronicle because of Max Landis. The only similarity those two have anyway, is the powers and that friends go against each other.
>>
>>63373405
Lucy is bad

Lucy looked like it could be a good movie before they cut her belly open (I loved the scene were wild life images were intercut with the action, capturing how Lucy was the prey and the gangsters were the predators) but the movie soon went bad, partially thanks to Scarlett's wooden acting

And then Morgan Freeman came on screen, being the usual obnoxious know-it-all redditor, and the movie went to shit. The ending was unbelievably bad

Akira on the other hand was getting weirder and weirder but in a good and tasteful way
>>
>>63373468
No it just looks dull, the coloring and style somewhat, not as sleek as I'd thought it would be, but for the late 80s it must've been 10/10.
>>
Watched akira blazed and shit literally looked like a yugi oh episode. Really shoddy animation
>>
>>63373444
wouldn't ''not all supers are heroes'' make more sense?
>>
>>63373474
The story is basically the same, except for the motorcycle-gang is now a couple of high school students.
>>
File: 1449015316869.jpg (159 KB, 712x579) Image search: [Google]
1449015316869.jpg
159 KB, 712x579
Beautiful and ahead of it's time in terms of animation fidelity for Japan. But the plot is severely overrated on account of it being a highly condensed version of the manga.

If you like reading comics, I recommend reading the manga first. The manga is amazing and is extremely well written, and justifies how long it is entirely.

Then when you've finished the manga, watch the movie and get blown away as amazing scenes you remember from the manga are brought to life with gorgeous visuals, color, animation, and sound.
>>
>>63373504
OP here, this. The animation looks shoddy and dirty, not shiny and sleek how I thought it would be.
>>
>>63373497
>, not as sleek as I'd thought it would be, but for the late 80s it must've been 10/10.
That statement is wrong on so many levels.
>>
>>63373473
>>>/r9k/

>>63373497
It's still regarded as one of the best animations of all time.
>>
>>63373506
>>63373444
The only similarity the 2 have is a kid going crazy because he has super powers

However the manga was about a totally different story. Every character in the manga were reduced to minor cameos.
>>
>>63373516
Yes, because in Chronicle their city totally got nuked 30 years prior, with military involvement and the big bang occuring at the end. They're also both japanese. Totally the same. They're just similar, that's it.
>>
>>63373525
Its an aesthetic choice
Akira isnt actually a cyberpunk film so it doesnt have a sleek aesthetic, it is more brutalist for most parts
>>
>>63373525
Its like the cast of yugioh bit in lemons and got all wrinkly and shit.
>>
>>63373545
Get the fuck off this board, manga doesn't have shit to do here,
>>
>>63373566
Yeah, this. It's kind of gross looking and not as pleasant. I wish anime had more shiny and pleasant look to it. They have to make it all shoddy and have weird mecha grotesque shit in it.
>>
>>63373525
>Akira
>Shoddy dirty animation

Dude, Akira has the smoothest animation not only compared to other Japanese productions but compared to the best western productions

To think they managed to do that using only traditional animation and no computer graphics it blows my mind (metaphorically speaking)
>>
>>63373610
Christ. I'd set the bar higher then as a director.

For 1988 I believe it. I'll still give it a shot but I wish it had a cleaner more shiny pleasant look.
>>
File: 1384065208630.jpg (43 KB, 231x363) Image search: [Google]
1384065208630.jpg
43 KB, 231x363
>>63373525
>1988
>shiny and sleek
>>
>>63373648
I assumed they remastered it and upgraded the visuals in a recent release. Of course the 88 release would not be as nice looking.
>>
File: 12_ghost_in_the_shell.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
12_ghost_in_the_shell.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
>>63373562
Cyberpunk isn't meant to be shiny and sleek anyways, dammit.
Either way you're right though, Akira isn't cyberpunk and neither is Blade Runner. Despite them being the poster boys for the genre sometimes. They both have the punk, but no cyber.

No computers, no hacking, no AI. Just huge futuristic megacities.

>>63373637
>I wish it had a cleaner more shiny pleasant look.
Why would you want this?
>>
>>63373662
Add in a bit of the old dubstep and lenseflare
>>
>>63373601
Most anime is colorful and not grotesque.
>>
File: akira-28.jpg (163 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
akira-28.jpg
163 KB, 1600x900
>>63373677
This is like literally gross and wrinkly yugio
>>
>>63373677
>>I wish it had a cleaner more shiny pleasant look.
>Why would you want this?

Because then it would look good.

>>63373692
There we go. JJ Abrams style. That's all he's good at, style, not substance.

>>63373677
>Cyberpunk isn't meant to be shiny and sleek anyways, dammit.

Blade Runner is.
>>
>>63373727
I agree with this. I hate their faces, it looks gross and ugly. Fuck, they should've been more stylish and had better looking faces with this anime.
>>
>>63373709
>Why is my grimy neo-noir dystopian sci-fi not colourful and clean like this high fantasy
>Why is 1988 animation more grainy and darker than modern day digital colours

>>63373727
You're referring to cel animation as 'yugio'. This is beginning to become bait.

>>63373745
>JJ Abrams style.
>Blade Runner is shiny and sleek

This has officially become bait and I am angry.
>>
>>63373727
You could always go through the thousands and thousands of individual frames in photoshop and spruce it up a bit more to your liking then.
>>
>>63373709
And this is exactly the anime art style I don't like

>Over-saturadted colors
>Weird and unnatural face geometry and bone structure
>Bug eyes
>Weird coloured hair
>Minimal animation

Akira is an animated film non-otakus can enjoy, that's why I like it along with Satoshi Kon's and (some) Miyazaki's films
>>
>>63373762
Something like frozen T B H
>>
File: ma_large.png (785 KB, 1277x691) Image search: [Google]
ma_large.png
785 KB, 1277x691
>>63373777
Trips for truth. OP would probably find Millennium Actress to be an ugly film.
Funnily enough it's because he's a millennial.
>>
File: beautifulrain.jpg (193 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
beautifulrain.jpg
193 KB, 1920x1080
>>63373772
I hate JJ but he makes shiny movies. His stories suck so it's a massive letdown.

Blade Runner is shiny and sleek.
>>
>>63373692
JJ Abrams directed, Disney produced Akira live action remake along with Akira Battlefront game and action figures when?
>>
>>63373807
>Blade Runner is shiny and sleek.
The image you just posted is grimy and dark, which is why Blade Runner is a beautiful movie.

Also for the record,
>I hate JJ but he makes shiny movies. His stories suck so it's a massive letdown.
This entire sentence proves you're either a complete retard, or bait.
>>
>>63373834
And I care what you think because...?

I'm still watching it, and I will have my opinion.
>>
There are people on /tv/ right now who think film grain is unattractive. There are people on /tv/ right now who think overly bright modern day digital coloring is better than classic cel animation.
>>
>>63373777
Akira is likely more of an otaku movie in Japan than a mainstream one. Pic related is mainstream in Japan, and my previous example would be too if only it aired earlier.

"Unnatural face geoemetry," "bug eyes," unnatural hair colors and limited animation are standard features of anime.

>Minimal animation
It doesn't have minimal animation, unless you seriously expect a television series to have Akira-tier animation (which is impossible).
>>
>>63373861
>I will have my opinion.
>>
>>63373872
Its the gen z who grew up with photobashed Art direction and think kung fury is what the 80s looked like.
>>
>>63373890
Thanks
>>
File: ikiru-w1280.jpg (49 KB, 620x310) Image search: [Google]
ikiru-w1280.jpg
49 KB, 620x310
>>63373901
>and think kung fury is what the 80s looked like
Everything about that thought makes me hurt. The 80s had it coming, with dadrockers and nostalgiafags constantly shoving the 80s into the faces of today's kids.

It was only a matter of time before the kids of today developed a warped, stylized idea of what the 80s was like based on a forced over exposure to it's pop culture.

But man, I didn't think it would hurt this bad. The 80s didn't deserve this.
>>
>>63373883
That also looks like yugi oh
>>
>>63373883
Your picture is otaku as fuck and it looks bad

Otaku is antihuman and the "creature" that is displayed in your picture has nothing in common with the human form

The human iris is not white, the eyes are not bigger than the mouth and half the size of the head, there are no lips or teeth, the colours are over-saturated, and what's up with the hair shaped like ears? Awful and disgusting!

You have shit taste to be completely honest

Akira is a non-otaku film
>>
>>63373966
But that time was all about the synthwave and neons.
Everything was sleek too
>>
>>63373872
>>63373901
Akira has worse looking cel animation than Pokemon or Digimon, childhood cartoons.
>>
>>63374009
>>63374011
How can this one anon manage to shitpost so hard without cooldown?
>>
>>63374030
Not shitposting, it's a fact. Doesn't mean it isn't a good anime film.
>>
File: SmilePrettyCure!.jpg (372 KB, 1919x1080) Image search: [Google]
SmilePrettyCure!.jpg
372 KB, 1919x1080
>>63373981
>Your picture is otaku as fuck and it looks bad
Sailor Moon is a daytime show for young girls. It's totally mainstream.

Pic related: another daytime show for girls.

>Otaku is antihuman and the "creature" that is displayed in your picture has nothing in common with the human form
Manga-style character design in general is, in your words, "antihuman." It's not meant to be realistic. Realistic-looking characters in anime/manga are fairly rare.

>You have shit taste to be completely honest
When did this become about my taste?
>>
>>63374050
The only fact here is that you don't know anything whatsoever about animation.
>>
>>63374059
>Sailer Moon
>for young girls

Well then I must've been a faggot watching it as a kid.
>>
If dubs mods delete this shitty thread and ban this underage.
>>
>>63374074
Ok pal. I'm an animator.
>>
>>63371983
>all three films were released under license by Manga Entertainment in some territories
anon, pls.
>>
>>63371326
I really like anime but /tv/ should 't have these threads. They always devolve into idiots with a sub-Nolantino worship level understanding of the subject trying to argue with nerds so into anime that they no longer understand how to express thoughts to normal people and think that recommending obtuse and heavily stylized crap is a good way to win people over.

Nothing productive is ever accomplished in these threads.
>>
>>63374083
Nah, Sailor Moon was great. But it was still for young girls. Just think back to all the messages the episodes had.
>>
>>63374083
Young girls are the intended, primary audience. Doesn't mean other people can't watch it (Sailor Moon is a very popular series).

>>63374109
Even if you were, it wouldn't change the fact that you don't know anything about animation.

>>63374099
Akira is rated R.
>>
>>63374123
Hey I just wanted to know about the film. I will try it out and see what the fuss is about.
>>
>>63374131
>Akira is rated R.
Doesn't mean this underage trying to argue that cel animation looks like shit is old enough to watch it.
>>
>>63374059
>Standard manga-style
>Standard anime-style

Last time I checked this is /tv/ and not /a/

If you like your weird creature with huge-eyes and oversaturated hair more power to you but better go back to /a/

Some of us like the animation style that captures the human form and emotion because we are not antihuman otakus and we don't give a fuck if it's not standard anime-style

You are the reason why people are not taking some japanese animated films like Akira, Satoshi Kon's, or Miyazaki's seriously
>>
>>63374131
>Young girls are the intended, primary audience. Doesn't mean other people can't watch it (Sailor Moon is a very popular series).

It explains why I'm a trap today.
>>
>>63374156
The cel animation does look shoddy. That's my opinion, if you can't take it because you have a thin skin, then get out. I'm in my twenties you faggot.
>>
>>63374123
This is true

You can't talk about the few good animated japanese feature films without the usual otaku antihuman antisocial weirdos and EVA-fags to come out of the woodwork and drive the thread to shit
>>
>>63374201
>That's my opinion, if you can't take it because you have a thin skin, then get out. I'm in my twenties you faggot.
lmao
>>
>>63371326
Yes but keep in mind that it partially gained its reputation because anime wasn't really a known thing internationally so for many people something like Akira was some mind blowing shit compared to the other animated movies they saw at the time.
>>
>>63374214
OP here, I agree.

I'll try the films out that were suggested.
>>
>>63374245
>OP here, I agree.
You're the shitter he's complaining about.
>>
Few things.

There are some good anime, but they are rare.

Yes, moeshit and haremshit shows are terrible, but shounenshit like Dragon Ball, most mecha and gore OVAs are also terrible.

Watching dubbed anime (or anything really) is not acceptable.
>>
>>63371326
Greatest anime movie of all time.
>>
>>63374156
I thought you were talking about OP. Seeing as how your post was not addressed to anyone.

>>63374157
>Last time I checked this is /tv/ and not /a/
We could be on /sp/ or /ck/ and it wouldn't make any difference.

>If you like your weird creature with huge-eyes and oversaturated hair more power to you but better go back to /a/
Why does that mean I have to "go back to" /a/? Should people also go back to /mu/ if they like listening to music?

>Some of us like the animation style that captures the human form and emotion because we are not antihuman otakus and we don't give a fuck if it's not standard anime-style
Manga character design doesn't have anything to do with being anti-human or a lack of human emotion. Nor does it have anything to do with being otaku, as manga is extremely mainstream in Japan.

>You are the reason why people are not taking some japanese animated films like Akira, Satoshi Kon's, or Miyazaki's seriously
How?

You honestly seem like you're mentally ill.
>>
>>63374214
You sound like you probably belong to the other camp though. The few anime movies you know of are probably also the highest on Imdb but you're still acting like you know what the fuck you're talking about

If my favourite movies were Shawshank Redemption, Empire Strikes Back and Fight Club would you take my opinions seriously?
>>
>>63374261
And I care what you think because? what? some idiot on the internet like you?
>>
>>63374272
OP is the underage tard shitting up the thread.
>>
>>63374301
Stop lying, that's someone else you faggot. You just want to end the thread because you're miserable for some reason.
>>
>>63374263
Tell us more, master of over 10 anime movies+series total. We need all of your wisdom. You clearly know the most.
>>
>>63374288
lmao
>>
>>63374263
>There are some good anime, but they are rare.
They aren't rare at all.

>Yes, moeshit and haremshit shows are terrible, but shounenshit like Dragon Ball, most mecha and gore OVAs are also terrible.
People who use those terms have most likely never watched a single moe or harem style show in their lives and are just repeating memes they heard somewhere.

>>63374301
Akira is rated R.
>>
>>63374283
>If my favourite movies were Shawshank Redemption, Empire Strikes Back and Fight Club would you take my opinions seriously?

Of course
Something being popular doesn't mean it's not worth it

But if on the other had you are an adult and you enjoy Sailor Moon, EVA and other weeb shit like that I can't take you seriously
>>
>>63374314
He's attaching "OP here" to every shitpost he makes. Whether or not he really is OP, I don't know. But it's an anonymous imageboard, I take each post at face value.
>>
>>63374333
Sailor moon and NGE are Japanese and therefore by definition not weeb. And you sound pretty damn pretentious and insecure.
>>
>>63374339
>I take things at face value

Confirmed for simpleton.
>>
>>63374328
>People who use those terms have most likely never watched a single moe or harem style show in their lives and are just repeating memes they heard somewhere.
No, anon. Haremshit is trash.
>>
>>63374328
They are rare. Anime is inherently for kids, teenagers and manchildren. There are very few shows for mature audiences.
>>
>>63374353
Sorry for assuming OP isn't a faggot.
>>
>>63374352
You are weeb for watching these shows
>>
Are they making a live action movie of this or not?
>>
File: reddit-logo.png (21 KB, 800x267) Image search: [Google]
reddit-logo.png
21 KB, 800x267
>This thread.
>>
>>63374360
Some harem style shows are bad, others are not.

>>63374371
>They are rare.
There's at least a couple good shows every season, i.e. every three months. That's hardly "rare."

>Anime is inherently for kids, teenagers and manchildren.
Anime is inherently for nobody. It has no built-in target audience.

>There are very few shows for mature audiences.
Late night anime is mostly for late teens and adult audiences.

>>63374377
No, I'm not. Weeb = weeaboo = wapanese = wannabe Japanese. Where have I indicated that I'm a wannabe Japanese?
>>
File: dan.png (843 KB, 587x811) Image search: [Google]
dan.png
843 KB, 587x811
>>63374425
>Anime has no built-in target audience.
>>
>>63374425
>Some harem style shows are bad, others are not.
Share us some good ones, anon.

>Late night anime is mostly for late teens and adult audiences.
If you group adult and teen together as one demographic than therein lies the problem. Don't you have homework to do, kid? High school isn't out for winter yet.
>>
>>63374425
>Anime is inherently for nobody. It has no built-in target audience.
Are you joking?
>>
>>63374425
Your "good shows" definitely aren't my good shows. Anime is just immature. It's something only adolescents can truly enjoy.

For example Hibike Euphonium isn't more mature than Disney Channel originals.
>>
>>63374425
http://youhaveautism.com/

inb4 anon claims that some edgy anime full of gore like Psycho-Pass is mature and adult.
>>
>>63374425
>Where have I indicated that I'm a wannabe Japanese?

By being a non-Japanese adult male and watching mainstream Japanese animated TV shows targeted at young girls because muh-pure-anime-manga-style and shitting up this thread
>>
>>63374450
>>63374467
The formal target demographics of manga/anime are kodomo (children), shoujo (girls), josei (women), shounen (boys and seinen (men). There's no singular target audience.

>>63374452
>Share us some good ones, anon.
I can't, because you've already decided that they are all bad and therefore anything I mention will be dismissed as such. This is just a trap.

>If you group adult and teen together as one demographic than therein lies the problem.
Why would that be a problem?

>Don't you have homework to do, kid? High school isn't out for winter yet
I'm 31. Are you perhaps projecting?

>>63374478
>Anime is just immature. It's something only adolescents can truly enjoy.
False.

>For example Hibike Euphonium isn't more mature than Disney Channel originals.
If an exact live action re-creation was made, you would never say that and would consider it an adult series like anything else. You are just prejudiced against animation.

>>63374499
Psycho-Pass is for so-called mature audiences, yes.

>>63374500
None of that has anything to do with being wannabe Japanese. Maybe it's time for you to consult a dictionary.
>>
>>63374586
>31
>Watches Sailor Moon

JUST
>>
>>63374599
You're just insecure and worried that you're not "adult" enough. Which suggests that you're most likely a teenager.
>>
File: mushishi-ginko-big.jpg (159 KB, 500x539) Image search: [Google]
mushishi-ginko-big.jpg
159 KB, 500x539
>GOD TIER TV ANIME
Mushi Shi, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

>GOD TIER MOVIE ANIME
Millennium Actress, Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade

>GOD TIER OVA ANIME
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>>
>>63374599
YOLO faggot.
>>
>>63374586
>Are you perhaps projecting?
The fact that you're 31 actually doesn't make you look better. I was commenting on how you're acting, its' better to act like a teenager and be a teenager than act like a child and be an adult.
>>
>>63374619
Do you also watch MLP?
>>
>>63374639
I haven't acted like a child though. Are you projecting again?
>>
>>63374658
>I haven't acted like a child though.
But you have, anon.

>Are you projecting again?
Now you're misusing the word projecting.
>>
>>63374655
No. Why would I?
>>
>>63374670
>But you have, anon.
Where? And don't say something like "in this thread." Link to the post and cite the relevant part.

>Now you're misusing the word projecting.
I'm not.
>>
>>63374698
The part where you think harem and moeshit are actually good, or that anime is for adults.
>>
Any good anime this season?

>inb4 One Punch Man or some loli shit
>>
/a/ here, even I think this guy is autistic.

>>63374733
Lupin. One Punch.
It's not a very good season.
>>
>>63374723
Harem and moe style shows can be good or bad like anything else. Some anime is for adults and some isn't.

So where are those posts where I acted like a child? I'm waiting.
>>
>>63374756
>Harem and moe style shows can be good
>Some anime is for adults
Share examples, anon.
>>
>>63374752
If you really were from /a/ would know there isn't anything autistic about defending anime from false accusations. Unless of course you are admitting that /a/ is a casual pleb board on the level of MAL and r/anime.

>>63374779
I can't, because you've already pre-determined that all harem and moe style shows are necessarily bad and that no anime could ever be for adults no matter what.
>>
>>63374805
If you can't provide examples then don't argue. I want to see what you think qualifies as good, or what qualifies as adult.

Some people think the Hunger Games is good and adult.
>>
>>63374869
If you're intellectually dishonest and not seriously looking for examples then don't ask for them.
>>
>>63374895
Just give examples, anon. Stop crying about it and making excuses.

And it's because I'm from /a/ that I want to see how good your taste is. I want to see your mature anime for mature people like yourself.
>>
>>63374951
If you were from /a/ then you would already know that harem and moe style shows can be either good or bad, and that anime is also for adults. Stop lying.
>>
Ghost in the Shell is better. Or Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.
>>
>>63374623
Your taste is painfully boring and the only ova you listed might as well be a tv show.

>GOAT OVA
Genocyber, not even joking, it's a masterpiece.
>>
>>63372646
>it's pretty much perfect if you hate anime

you what? The MC is the most annoying thing about anime
>>
File: 1335218511474.jpg (7 KB, 215x217) Image search: [Google]
1335218511474.jpg
7 KB, 215x217
>He doesn't get the ending
Its literally "power is easily abused and underestimated so humanity needs to calm the fuck down before it does something really dumb". Like that chick literally explains it.
>>
Who K9999 here
>>
6/10
>>
>>63373077
While what you've said is true, in the movie the aforementioned "rape scene" is executed in a very jarring way that makes it almost impossible to take the scene seriously. To clarify: after the protagonist rips opens the woman's shirt and forces himself on her she reaches for a lamp which she proceeds to hit him over the head with (with comical boink sounds and exaggerated K.O. loonytunes eyes) this is never brought up again in the movie and the woman continues to happily support him as if nothing had happened.
>>
>>63371326
It's vastly overrated. The animation is nice, but the story is a complete clusterfuck.
>>
>>63374752
>lupin
That 70's anime and manga?
Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.