[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are David Lynch movies set in some weird ambiguous time/universe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
Why are David Lynch movies set in some weird ambiguous time/universe?

They're like a mashup of present day and 1950s

What is the meaning behind this?
>>
>>63363478
Don't concern yourself with aesthetics, you'll get a headache.
>>
>>63363478
>What is the meaning behind this?
There isn't really any meaning, except in Twin Peaks, it's just a town that never modernized. I just think David Lynch just likes the aesthetic of the 1950's, but it's pretty expensive to make films that are set in certain eras and actually make them look authentic to that era.

Plus, when something takes place in your own constructed world, you can get way with a lot more things than say something set in the normal world.
>>
>>63363478
Maybe he's suggesting that the context of time period doesn't matter, and he wants a story that transcends that.
>>
>>63363478

big theme of his films is americana, yea, and the perversions or dread just under the idyllic surface
>>
I enjoy David Lynch movies.
>>
It's called art. All films exist in a made up world. Good artists realize this and use it to their advantage. Bad artists make films like the Dark Knight.
>>
>>63364440
>All films exist in a made up world.
This is semantics, but I would say this is debatable. Some films exist very much in our reality, so whether or not it's a contrived story within our world, the world in which it takes place is not really made up. Then you have documentaries.
>>
>>63363478
Did somebody tell you that?
>>
>>63365510
Not op, but I feel like it's what everybody observes about Lynch stuff. A lot of it is the music I think.
>>
>>63364973
>documentaries exist in our world
imdpleb spotted. prescription: f for fake and 30 minutes of meditation on kino
>>
>>63364973
Every fictional film contains characters that don't exist and things that never happened, ie they exist in a made up world
>>
>>63366172
Like I said, it's a semantic argument. I still think it's a little silly to say all films exist in a made up world. I think a better way to put it would be to say that no film has to be tethered to our reality. At best your argument says that some aspects of the world are made up, but it's not like if you shoot a scene in a mall the mall itself is made up, and therefore not every aspect of the film is made up.
>>
>>63363478
What is postmodernism?
Read Jameson's "Postmodernism, Or the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism" senpai
>>
>Elephant man
>>
>>63364019
yup
>>
PABST BLUE RIBBON
>>
>>63366427
The mall is not the film. The film is how the mall is interpreted by the camera, and the camera's manipulator. It becomes something else.
>>
>>63366751
This reminds me, 22 Jump Street was shot largely on my college campus. When I watched it I kept being taken out of the movie.

They'd be in one building and then go into another room which was supposed to be in the same building in the movie, but in reality would be on the other side of campus.

I think that's a good example of what you're getting at.
>>
>>63366751
>>63367076
I get what you're saying, but I still disagree. There are aspects of many many films that root it in worlds that are not strictly or entirely made up.
>>
>what is liking things

i like his music too. wish there was more of it, kinda like chris isaak on a bad trip
>>
well he has said how much his early life experiences with lumber town have affected his work. and how he still felt queer uneasiness living such "peaceful" environment
>>
>>63366505
what does post modernism have to do with this aesthetic?

>>63365642
50s crooner music, the attire, lots of 50s/early 60s cars, quaint picket fence houses/ 50s family ideals everywhere, diners, etc
>>
the polished 50s ideal/enviroment magnifies the seediness of the story or characters with contrast.
>>
>>63366544
This

>Elephant Man
>Mulholland Dr.
>Inland Empire
>The Straight Story
>Dune

None of these have anything to do with 50s aesthetics.
>>
The 1950s were probably America's moral high point. That's the best way to provide contrast with acts of degeneracy by the lowest of the low.

If you do something nowadays that would have been considered immoral in the 1950s, you would receive praise despite being a disgusting shitstain.
See: Trannies, feminists, fags etc.
>>
>>63363478
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.