[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
god damn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
god damn
>>
>>63358011
I know. It's a masterpiece.
>>
women will never understand this movie
>>
>>63358246
do you think they loved each other? it seems implied but then he gets together with that girl at the end
>>
>>63358345
Robert loved him, but not in the way you're thinking.
>>
>>63358400
more of a respectful love then, like an admiration rather than anything sexual
>>
>>63358246
Tried to watch this with my wife when it came out. She tapped out after the first 3 hours
>>
>>63358011
Another tasteless pretend-film that IMDb neocinephiles from r/movies circlejerk for approval.
>>
>>63358480
You're too obsessed with the people that you apparently dislike. It's a beautiful film.
>>
>>63358480
>has a 7.6 on imdb while dark knight has a 9.0

yeah I see your point
>>
>>63358011
Top 3 movie for me. Best Affleck just keeps going strong.
>>
>WHERE'S JIM? WHERE'S JIM? WHERE'S JIM?
>>
Does anyone here know of any good books or documentaries on Jesse James?
>>
>>63358480
pls tell me your movies that aren't "tasteless"

so i can laff
>>
File: 1439430999449.jpg (97 KB, 1000x726) Image search: [Google]
1439430999449.jpg
97 KB, 1000x726
>>63358011
I'm so glad Clint stopped making Westerns so that we get this far fetched dragged out drivel, in which a narrator is introduced to carry the audience along.
>>
>tfw watched the 4 hour cut at venice
>tfw hyping it up to friends
>tfw they saw the butchered theatrical release version

Y'all niggas missed out. Definitely Pitt's best performance of his career.
>>
>>63358011
Don't those dubs look dusty.
>>
>>63358752
>YOU DIDNT EVEN GIVE ME A CHANCE
>>
>>63361131
there is a longer version? is it available?
>>
>>63362734
the four hour version is just a myth

there is an extended cut that apparently adds 40 minutes though

also the director wants to release but he just doesn't have the time
>>
>>63358345
Robert loved Jesse. Jesse picked up on this and used it for his own ends. Jesse couldn't have cared less about Robert.

That's what I got out of it anyway.
>>
>>63366040
i dunno about that, why would he let robert kill him if he didn't like him?
>>
>pretentiously named movie
>trying to understand what Casey Affleck is mumbling for 3 hours

Yeah, was a real treat.

>>63361131
>Y'all niggas
kill yourself
>>
Watched it last week, what a great film, terribly underrated. You know those movies that you just want to watch again after just finishing them? Well this is it, and I don't say that often. I'm not even a fan of the ol' western genre, but being from Missouri and visiting some Jesse James related landmarks growing up made this movie extra special for me.
>>
File: 1434430944777.jpg (251 KB, 841x800) Image search: [Google]
1434430944777.jpg
251 KB, 841x800
>>63367187
>terribly underrated
>>
File: The_Proposition_5.jpg (49 KB, 325x480) Image search: [Google]
The_Proposition_5.jpg
49 KB, 325x480
Fantastic film. Check out the Proposition if you are in the mood for westerns.
>>
>>63366756
Basically, Jesse was destined to end up murdered or in prison. Either way, he goes out like a bitch. So instead, he manipulates this useful idiot into shooting him in the back, preserving his status as a heroic outlaw.

This is an oversimplification, but you get the idea.
>>
>>63358011

DUDE COWBOYS LMAO
>>
boring ass film
>>
>>63367346
Fuck off, fagget. This one is terrible.
>>
Anyone else love the bar scene where nick cage sings the ballad of jesse james ? Fucking awesome.
>>
>>63358011
>>63367346
is this where we recommend terrible modern westerns
>>
>lol look at casey affleck mumble in a weird southern accent he's so strange and eccentric
>lol look at brad pitt open his eyes wide, he's such an outlaw and psychopath
go watch a john wayne film or something, rather than this shite.
>>
>>63367449
What would you recommend?
>>
this makes me sad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4jC5FZPSX0
>>
File: El_Topo_poster.jpg (17 KB, 240x353) Image search: [Google]
El_Topo_poster.jpg
17 KB, 240x353
>>63367502
There, happy now?
>>
Damn I still need to see this
>>
>>63367590
older post-killing jesse bob is chill as fuck
>>
>>63367590
poor, stupid bob :^(
>>
File: Jesse James 2.webm (2 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
Jesse James 2.webm
2 MB, 1280x536
>>
I find films like these troubling Calvary and Synechdoche New York among them.

There is nothing particularly unique or impressive about any of these films yet they are held up as "great films" by those with no semblance of cultural perspective.

I don't think they're terrible, mind you, just simply bland and uninteresting if you're even mildly versed in international art house film.
>>
>>63367167
it's the name of the book it's based on

also hes not hard to understand at all, don't know what you're on about
>>
>>63367843
Omg a cgi train.

Pardon me for not being impressed.
>>
The blood spatter on the lens in that one scene really pisses me off.
>>
File: 1427156604238.gif (547 KB, 276x200) Image search: [Google]
1427156604238.gif
547 KB, 276x200
>>63367922
>Nothing impressive about Synechdoche New York.

LMAO
>>
>>63367922
well they're not art house movies
calvary is good because of the ideas it's about (antagonized by association but still doing your work despite it)
synechdoche is good too, but more for it's creativity and all the themes it meshes together
assassination's good because it's just a supremely well told story with enough extra stuff (acting, deakins cinematography, music) to make it stand out from the rest

i could see you disliking if you only like films that try and be out there and do new things but these are still great films just of a different color
>>
also does anyone else find this to be a great winter movie?

the slow pace and music make it such a nice one to just curl up on the couch and watch
>>
>>63367375
This and he was tired of hiding, the last straw was realizing that even the Fords had betrayed him.
>>
>>63358473
lmao
>>
amazing film, blown away by the twist, plus it was based on true story, and the film is the most accurate depiction/adapatation of the event
>>
>>63368552
what twist are you talking about?
>>
>>63368104
Well, you see. The thing is that I am mostly interested in things in relation to the rest of film.

For instance, I think whiplash is a perfectly fine film. Very effective as a raging bull for music but Synechdoche on the other hand has pretensions of being a grand philosophical statement with its characters struggling with these huge problems but in actuality it basically just concludes that nihilism is right, which is something older than Nietzsche and not really the question any more. Everyone knows the universe is indifferent to individual suffering but Kaufman approaches this issue as if he's the first to ever realize it. Then I see him lauded by the uninitiated and poorly read as a genuis when in actuality his writing and direction are sub par.

Calvary is just an edgy quirky dark comedy but again lauded as some Masterwork when it's just this side of what passes for reflective in this thought starved society.

Assassination is probably the best of the three but still just a standard plot with loads of pretension piled on top of it. These types of narratives should really tend toward the tight commercial product end of the spectrum rather than the sprawling epic when the stakes are so decidedly similar to a 30s western serial. I much prefer Samuel Fuller's "I shot Jessie James" than this overlong piece of cinematic masturbation.
>>
>>63368593
it just me, i'm not expecting casey affleck's character backlash after he killed jesse
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfKgLX9aU10

Such a comfy soundtrack
>>
Pitt is born Missouri white trash. This is the role he was literally born to play.
>>
>>63358246
My sister is the one that made me watch this m8
>>
>>63367952
Except that this was a real train and everything was achieved in camera.
>>
one of the best movies I've ever seen. crazy that more people don't know about it. made me realize Casey is the more talented brother
>>
>>63358400
Idolization
>>
>>63360613
>hurrr narrators mean the movie is written bad!
>>
>>63370203

I live in nixa. The town next to us is Springfield they have an art house theater called moxie. Wmy friend and I went to the tree of life opening there, Pitts brother was there with his wife. They left halfway through(along with 60% of the crowd)
>>
>>63367560
>thinking john wayne could act
>>
>>63368607
What? So a guy can't make a movie with a previously established thesis.
You're pedantic.
>>
>>63367922
i liked calvary because the actual concept is good (priest being forced to let a guy kill him). the actual message of the movie is a bit in your face but it's still nice to watch and the relationships are well written

also cia makes an appearance
>>
File: ft edmonton.jpg (223 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ft edmonton.jpg
223 KB, 1024x768
>>63367952
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.