[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Inherent Vice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
Thoughts on Inherent Vice?
>>
>>63345564
bad movie, good book
>>
>>63345744
>good book
Pynchon writes deliberately good and deliberately bad books. GR, M&D, and AtD are top tier but completely impossible to put on the big screen.
also
>implying you wouldn't watch a vineland movie
>>
>>63345564
more like INCOHERENT VICE
>>
>>63345564
Great movie. Thrives on rewatches.
>>
I really disliked it the first time I watched it. I felt really empty and depressed afterwards but it was bad in a way that made me wonder if it was actually a masterpiece and I just wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it.

I've seen it a couple of times since and I can appreciate it a bit more but it still gets to be a bit of a slog after the first 90 minutes or so.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 2000x992) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 2000x992
Everywhere I go I see that damn symbol
>>
>>63345902
WASTE
A
S
T
E
>>
>>63345564

Pretty great book, pretty great film.

Some stuff was lost, as he couldn't have a 4 hour running time, but Bigfoot was made better.

Amazing score, spirited performances from everyone.

Your thoughts, OP?
>>
I wonder what Pinecone thought about it...
>>
>>63346327
Pinecone only let the movie be adapted to make money for his family
he's dying
he's 78
;_;
>>
>>63345902
Oedipa pls.
>>
>>63346376
Even before GR he had probably sold more than 10 million books (both TCoL49 and V. sold amazingly well). He's a rich man, he doesn't need movie right money.
>>
>>63345564
shitty movie
>>
>>63345902
>WE AWAIT SILENT TRISTERO EMPIRE
I think you could adapt it pretty well.
>>
>>63346488
>both two of his oldest books sold amazingly well
he's lived in new york forever and he has children
>>
Can I ask one thing; why isn't Pynchon more famous? I hear shitty authors like john green and that slut who wrote Harry Potter but never rabout pynchon. He doesn't even have a lot of pictures show up on Google search. Why is that?
>>
>>63346645
Yeah and it's been 50 years of continuous good sales since then, plus he wrote several more extremely popular books, not to mention his shit got translated to tons of foreign languages. He's no JK Rowling, but he's rich as hell.
>>
I fucking loved this movie. The Music was good. The plot was hard to understand but it made for a good rewatch. Martin Short doing coke was awesome. The chicks were hot. The banana eating scene was hilarious. I am surprised it got bad reviews. Probably because people are simple and want plot handed to them and do no thinking.
>>
>>63346706

Because he's a total on-purpose recluse who doesn't allow photos of himself to be taken.

Attached image is one of the rare times he's appeared in media, as a voice actor, and they didn't know what his face looked like so they did this.
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 1600x900
>>63346878

Forgot image
>>
>>63346706
Kakutani (a bitch ass critic who everyone hates but holds massive sway) attacks all his books
he's a famous recluse
also like Joyce and Gaddis he's frequently discussed but seldom read. He's a go-to name for dropping at dinner parties but when it gets to actually reading him he has few fans
>>
>>63345564
Garbage film made by a garbage man. People who liked this also think Magnolia is a great film. Those people are memes and should be treated as such.
>>
>>63346948
Why? /lit/ seems to drop his name quite a lot. Is it because his books have complex plots?
>>
>>63346878
I don't think he's a recluse, he just completely avoids media and publicity. He seems to be living a perfectly normal life in NYC otherwise.
>>
>>63346878
>Because he's a total on-purpose recluse

Pynchon isn't a recluse, he just doesn't like media attention.
>>
>>63346984
the master was really good what r u on fella
>>
>>63346991
>Is it because his books have complex plots?
It's not that they're complex, but gloriously convoluted, and usually involve a retardedly huge amount of characters. There is so much information dropped in the stories, all from different perspectives that it ends up building a fleshed out world viewed exclusively from subjective perspectives. It gives it a very weird dreamlike logic to the things that happen.
>>
>>63346984
>Those people are memes and should be treated as such.

...something about poe's law..
>>
>>63347107
PIG FUCK
>>
>>63346991
They're very complex structurally, on multiple levels. He frequently pushes the English language beyond the accepted rules, his sentences can be long and rambling, there are frequent shifts in time, place, point of view, etc., tons of characters, constant digressions, retreadings, self-reference, and so on.

This is the first sentence of Mason & Dixon:

>Snow-Balls have flown their Arcs, starr'd the Sides of Outbuildings, as of Cousins, carried Hats away into the brisk Wind off Delaware,-- the Sleds are brought in and their Runners carefully dried and greased, shoes deposited in the back Hall, a stocking'd-foot Descent made upon the great Kitchen, in a purposeful Dither since Morning, punctuated by the ringing Lids of Boilers and Stewing-Pots, fragrant with Pie-Spices, peel'd Fruits, Suet, heated Sugar,-- the Children, having all upon the Fly, among rhythmic slaps of Batter and Spoon, coax'd and stolen what they might, proceed, as upon each afternoon all this snowy December, to a comfortable Room at the rear of the House, years since given over to their carefree Assaults.
>>
>>63345564
It loses impact with further viewings. His only film that holds up with repeated viewings is The Master though...That was great.
>>
stupid

some very funny scenes but terrible as a movie. plotless meandering garbage
>>
>>63347107
My main problem with PTA is that he lacks original thought. The Master is a good movie with moments ranging from great to solid to downright cringe worthy. My favorite part of the film was the beggining but even then its not because of his merit as the textures and the mood of it felt like a ripoff from unmeasurably superior films like Beau Travail.
>>
>>63346991
its paranoiac historical meta-fiction
>>
Excellent. Even better the second time around.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.