[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of TV Tropes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: tropes.jpg (9 KB, 300x216) Image search: [Google]
tropes.jpg
9 KB, 300x216
What do you guys think of TV Tropes?
>>
>TV Tropes
more like TV nopes
>>
I created the page for Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.
>>
I was into it before they got all SJW and started removing "objectionable" entries which are completely valid in film.
>>
>>63341212
excellent source of drama and it's fun to laugh at the "nightmare fuel" pages to see what nerds are afraid of
>>
>>63342084
Pretty based, that's one of the best games of the year.
>>
If you think about it, they are just memes. In fact the world is created on memes. You see someone do something once and it works, you copy it, try to make it better etc. This goes back to things like the discovery of fire, or an animal walking in a circle before laying down, etc. Its all memes that we keep building on.
>>
This troper thinks it's an excellent site :-)
>>
I forgot it existed
>>
>>63342050
>>63342139
Kill yourself, manchilds
>>
>>63342084
I bet your parents are really proud of you
>>
>>63341212
If reddit didn't already exist, this would be reddit:the site.
>>
>>63341212
I think they're desperate for more clicks and are having problems keeping their website upright. Why else market on 4chan of all places?
>>
>>63341212
It's an important tool for recording our culture
Imagine if there was a database of ancient Chinese jokes and memes, or one for Shakespeare's time. Who knows what reference his plays make that are completely lost on us??
>>
>>63342084
Who the fuck lies about this? I'm the one who made it
>>
What's the most autistic thing on that site?
>>
>>63342084
no I did
>>
I admit to liking it.

Come at me
>>
>>63342181
The Pokemon MD series includes the best Pokemon games ever made.
>>
I do not like it.
>>
>>63342128
What the fuck? Source?

I've found some amazing things in the past because of some bizarre and really specific tropes. I harbour no ill will and it's a useful resource.
>>
Who the fuck created the page for Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon?
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 207x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 207x263
>Examples in Books: 2
>Examples in Anime: 433 (A-H)
>>
>>63342304
Look at the ED page
>>
>>63342084
YOU FUCKING LIAR I MADE IT
>>
>>63341212
Started out great in its early years. Like creepypasta. Then went to shit when everyone and their brother started making up tropes for even the smallest fucking things and giving them absurd fucking names.

Don't read the comments/forums.
>>
>>63342221
>sociology students will be writing essays on 21st century memes in the future
>>
>>63342313
gb2/booktropes/
>>
>>63342325
Jesus Christ we're going backwards as a culture.

Isn't the idea of a safe space to not be infringed upon? Where are my fucking rights?
>>
>>63342376
Are you kidding? They've been doing that for ten years now.
>>
>>63342376
They do that already
>>
>>63342312
I did and I swear to Arceus I'm not lying
>>
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/PokemonSuperMysteryDungeon
Which one of you did this?
>>
Who /Fennekin/ here?
>>
>>63342304
They only remove stuff like "rape" and they removed certain lolicon stuff. However during the later part they still have the "Lolita" page up. Though a lot of it was to keep advertisers happy and creepy people out. There are also times they had to lock pages that have a lot of hate.

Nothing actually SJW though.
>>
>>63342441
Me
>>
>>63342382
see
>>63342484

>>63342325
>taking ED's word as gospel in 2015

There are reasons that site isn't nearly as active these days, you know
>>
File: trope.jpg (27 KB, 283x342) Image search: [Google]
trope.jpg
27 KB, 283x342
I know it's autistic but I immediately go to pages for movies I've just seen and add tropes I think are missing
>>
>>63342304
It was just to please the Google AdSense gods so they could have revenue. Less malicious edits and more hastily stuffing all the "rape" pages in the corner so they could advertise better
>>
File: psmd.png (42 KB, 746x356) Image search: [Google]
psmd.png
42 KB, 746x356
>>63342441
did IsaJo create the page? am I reading this right? it's the very bottom of the page history
>>
The forums are incredible. Better trolling potential than Reddit.
>>
>>63342767
Explain? I really don't like the format tbqh
>>
>>63342788
TVtropes has been known to host some of the more autistic, creepy and beta people on the internet.
>>
>>63342788
They just don't know when to stop falling for bait. And they're hyper-autistic enough to constantly update their anime fanfic pages. Just a really good audience.
>>
>>63341212
useful and interesting imo
>>
>tfw i created the undertale page
>>
Extremely anti-white Just take a look into their forums

>The sexism thread
>The islamophobia thread
>The racism thread

etc etc

Fuck these libturd SJW's
>>
>>63342484
>>63342621
Are you retarded, autistic or both?

Their SJW bias is more than visible, especially in trope entries pertaining to things like race and gender. They are a bunch of white-hating feminist marxist manchildren.

Gb2turdtropes
>>
This piece of shit was made by turdtropers aswell, they're edit-protecting it and dogpile on everyone trying to revert changes or change the article title at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_featuring_whitewashed_roles
>>
>>63343023
Do you understand what irony is? You sound exactly like them. Down to the meaningless buzzwords and irrational, kneejerk bias.
>>
>>63343048
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_films_featuring_whitewashed_roles&type=revision&diff=693736455&oldid=693729697

>Sperg out and replace White with Jewish like anyone cares
>No-one cares and the change is reverted
>Get buttmad and go on 4chan

Cool life you lead.
>>
>>63343048
How could you possibly know that? Do the editors announce what site they're from?
>>
>>63343087
That wasn't even me retard

Kill yourself you permavirgin lmao
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDk5dekd3Ek
>>
>>63343120
You're a sad, sad man.
>>
>>63341212
Pleb man's Director's Commentary.
>>
A catalogue of loneliness and literal autism
>>
What is a trope? Is it like a meme?
>>
>>63341212
I hate this fucking website. I have being seeing it for years and still don't understand a single line on any of those pages.
>>
I don't.
>>
I like it. The truth is: everything can be dismantled into tropes so it's a bit useless but it's useful if you want to find things in the same vein as something you like.

but when people take it seriously (Feminist Frequencies), that becomes too much.
>>
>>63342244
This troper is calling you a shitlord because I made it.
>>
>>63341212
tvtropes now a trope.
pottery man, pure pottery.
>>
>>63343241
They are lists. Like in Wikipedia. But its lists of cliches on a character or work. But TVtropes go very overboard with it. However a lot of them are made by themselves by their own slang.
>>
>>63343257
Tropes themselves are an actual thing.

FemFreq has nothing to do with TVTropes and people there dislike her as much as anyone else would. Her page is even locked because of it.
>>
It has a big problem in that pages tend to be created and edited by fans of the work. People go there and want to help, because they're fans. Because they want to help, some of them create spurious reasons for doing so. They want something they wrote to be part of the entry on the thing they love. So you get a lot of shitty, not-really-applicable claims of tropes being present.

An example: The Getting Crap Past The Radar trope was listed as occurring in Sherlock when Irene Adler is bombarding Holmes with texts - specifically the text that says "I'm not hungry. Let's have dinner." Now, there is absolutely no sense in which that constitutes "getting crap past the radar", but some Sherlock fan liked the line, liked TV Tropes, and wanted to help.

You also get coded passive-aggressive arguments. I don't know if they have a meta-trope about it a la Report Siht, though they really should, but frequently you'll see some trope listed, with an additional point below it added by someone else saying "Subverted in that..." and some nonsense reason. They should define subversion as robustly as possible and make what amounts to "Subverted in that I liked it" a big no-no.
>>
>>63343241

Some of them are very poorly written. They have a trope called Two Lines, No Waiting. I went to the page for it and it's this absolute rambling mess, paragraph after paragraph of incoherent almost-gibberish. Six paragraphs deep and I still had absolutely no idea what the fuck it was talking about.

On trope main pages, you'll see a tab marked 'Laconic'. That will take you to a single-paragraph, often single-sentence explanation of the trope. That's how I came to understand what Two Lines, No Waiting referred to. Going back and re-reading the main page afterwards confirmed it was basically word-salad.
>>
>>63342325
Erectile dysfunction?
>>
I discovered /b/ from TVtropes in 2009.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.