[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brazil 1985
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: brazil2.jpg (33 KB, 500x274) Image search: [Google]
brazil2.jpg
33 KB, 500x274
Lets talk about brazil. What was your experience with this movie? Did you like it? Why or why not?
>>
>>63338269
I liked it. The ending made my Jaw drop. I couldn't really get into some of the jokes like that weird samurai giant
>>
>>63338269
Too messy. Couldn't and wouldn't care to keep up with all the stuff they were shoving in my face. De Niro is funny. Easily foregetable.
>>
File: brazil_0.jpg (17 KB, 500x191) Image search: [Google]
brazil_0.jpg
17 KB, 500x191
Really? Fucking dropped.
>>
>>63338949
>>63339113
Both of these. Ending was incredible, but I don't remember much besides that. Gilliam has some great ideas that never really come together.
>>
>>63338269
it's an attempt to make a more cinematic version of the 1984 story but it still ultimately doesn't work.

particularly love the blatant way Gilliam ripped off the Luke-Vader Degobah spirit quest fight with the samurai dream sequence. such art, such integrity. it's one of those films poseurs with no actual taste like.
>>
>>63338269
I've seen it three times, all theatrically in the late 90s. First time I went in expecting a Pythonesque comedy and didn't like it when it was a serious drama with comedic elements. Second viewing still didn't like it but finally on a third viewing got it and appreciated its themes, production design, actors like Michael Palin, De Niro and Jonathan Pryce, Ian Holm.
>>
>>63338269
Enthralling albeit way too convoluted. I liked the aesthetic tailored in the dream sequences though. I give it a 8/10
>>
>>63339373
>repeatedly watching a film you don't like because you want to subscribe to the persona of people who insist it is genius
what really happened is, you just started ignoring the things that don't work and searching for production design and performance elements that were interesting to keep yourself from switching it off. it doesn't add up to anything.
>>
>>63339274
Maybe...To me the film feels like a Tati-esque take on 1984.
>>
>>63339232
>Gilliam has some great ideas that never really come together.
Terrorism, plastic surgery, false flags, beauracracy, heating ducts, brainwashing, imagination/reality.... what am I missing
It has a lot of memorable images
>>63339424
I can remember it really well even now. I guess I saw it at the right time, in my late teens/early twenties when I had nothing but time to spend in rep cinemas re-watching films that are supposed to be great. You're right, doing that is dumb and I wouldn't do it now, unless it was a director I really liked and thought was great. Not for Gilliam.
>>
>>63339424
>it doesn't add up to anything.
It does add up to something, though. The main theme is the dreamer vs reality.
>>
>here is your receipt, and you receipt for your receipt

Britain in a nutshell
>>
>>63339491
The architecture of the sets tinted with metallic gray and the crazy gadgets remind me a lot of Playtime.
>>
It's an allegory for straight white males trying to survive within the ZOG dictatorship
>>
>>63338269
Fight Club was better
>>
>>63340644
more like FAT CLUB XXDXDXDXDXDXDDXD
>>
>>63340652
this makes no sense kid
stop posting
>>
>that scene where the bomb goes off in that restaurant and everyone keeps acting normal

Europe in 20 years.
>>
>>63340491
too dark and gray but yeah
>>
>>63340906
Doubt it. More like London 30 years ago. The IRA was blowing shit up in the UK all the goddamn time.

In 20 years if a muslim so much as farts the entire country is going to go on lockdown and everyone is going to run around screaming.
>>
>>63340963
So just like America now, basically.
>>
>>63340906
You really need to research the IRA in the UK, people were mentally on a war footing for decades.

>>63338269
A great film, but not for just casually watching. I did love the idea of a 1984 with a hilariously incompetent government and tubes all over the place.
>>
One of my favorites but I didn't really make the connection to 1984 as both are so good in their own right

>>63340975
Auskekked
>>
>>63338269
it has a really top-tier cast with a great performance from Jonathon Pryce

as for the film itself, it's fun but it's too surreal to really drive home a message

as a dark comedy it's great though
>>
>>63341084
Why do you think surreal films cant drive a message home?
>>
>>63338269
I tried to wacht it 3 times. I never finished. Is too ugly
>>
>>63341166
alright then what did the samurai robot represent
>>
>>63338269
>Lets talk about brazil.

7-1
>>
File: brazil1-1280x7211.jpg (54 KB, 615x375) Image search: [Google]
brazil1-1280x7211.jpg
54 KB, 615x375
It's already been said but it was a fantastic attempt at the impossible. The atmosphere and set design is really really really great, some of the performances are fantastic (im lookin at youu deniro) but the movie feels like a series of short stories instead of a cohesive movie. I just wish I could see the movie he envisioned.

>>63339491
>It has a lot of memorable images
agreed
sometimes when i wash my face i think of this scene (pic related)
when i have to deal with bureaucracy i think of Brazil
seeing complicated arrays of wiring/piping makes me think of this movie

also the theme song is really great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZshIb5IJQU
>>
gilliam foretold surveillance society and constant terrorism
>>
>>63341460
>also the theme song is really great

this is the best version (34:30)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dvbeo_UUPE
>>
Wish Bobby De Niro was more in it
>>
>>63341501
oh shit!
i heard this album when i was first getting into jazz and haven't been able to remeber what it was called, thanks anon.
but yes, this version is fantastic
>>
>>63341514
this

he's so funny in an understated kind of way
>>
>>63341549
it helps Brazil is such a great song to begin with

I love how there's so many different versions that are all good in different ways
>>
>>63338269

Like just about everything else in life, I regret ever liking it.

Just like Fight Club.

Just like American Beauty.

It's for 19 year olds.
>>
Overrated pleb trash.

Babbys first downer ending.
>>
>>63342317
>i regret liking things
i really hope you're trolling because if not you are a truely pathetic person
>>
>>63342317
>It's for 19 year olds.

It's actually for those who have faced the horrors of bureaucracy first-hand. (usually 20-30 year-olds)
>>
>>63338269
Pretty solid. I like the style but I didn't love it enough to consider it a classic. I should probably watch it again though.

Ending was great and I wish there was more DeNiro.
>>
>>63342317
>I regret ever liking it.
>It's for 19 year olds
So why regret liking it? Just appreciate that you had decent taste for a 19 year old.
>>
>>63338269
I loved it. The atmosphere and set design were incredible. Made me feel like I was in a Kafka story.

The samurai stuff was a little wonky though. I get that it shows he was daydreaming or whatever, but it came off awkward.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.