[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ailright so I just watched this for the first time in years,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: The-Phantom-Menace-Wallpaper-1.jpg (349 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
The-Phantom-Menace-Wallpaper-1.jpg
349 KB, 1280x960
Ailright so I just watched this for the first time in years, it's an alright Star Wars movie. It's comfy as fuck and the acting and story weren't terrible, I really enjoyed the podrace scene and the final litsabre battle. I adore the Naboo and the Gungan cultures as well.

Lets get to the root of the problem, Jar-Jar Binks.

Not a bad character idea. He's actually pretty important and I can tell Lucas meant to flesh him out in the upcoming prequels. He should've been and deserved to be a more important character. What ruined it was the voice acting and the over the top slapstick animation, and, well everything. I'm fine with a slightly annoying and dumb character along the lines of Chewbacca, but he just ruined this character. Jar Jar should've been a mislead and clumsy edgelord, he was banished from the Gungans. They just made him so stupid and grating, I swear if Jar Jar had been better cast he'd have been a likeable and concrete character. And episode 1 would be really good.

tl'dr I'm drunk as fuck and watched this shitshow, Jar Jar had so much potential.
>>
>>63336208

Visually Episode I is pretty great, lots of neat designs, good mix of practical effects and well done CGI, I mean watto still holds up nicely, and the sound design is great.

The story and the characters are a complete mess. Qui-Gon is the only character that seems to have any substance or purpose and even then he often acts contradictory because the story makes no sense. Maul was underused, anakin shouldn't have been so young, Obi-Wan shouldn't have been playing 2nd fiddle doing fuck-all the whole movie etc...

And yeah Jar Jar was a giant glaring mistake. He's just a walking spot of tonal dissonance and never positively adds to any scene he is in, instead he always contrasts it.
>>
>>63336208

Jar Jar is only the beginning of TPM's problems
You were drunk when you watched it so you didn't pay much attention to the plot to realise just how retarded it is
>>
>>63336208
Havent you witnessed the last few months of /tv/, any of you?
>>
Who was the main character in The Phantom Menace?
>>
>>63336286
But do you get what I'm saying though. If Lucas had toned down Jar Jar 3-5 notched he'd have been a good character and the movie as a whole would've been passable. I'm not a fan of any of the prequels but I still think episode 1 was the least bad. And I hate how Jar Jar was portrayed. But if they had turned his volume down a little and had a better voice acter, Jar Jar could've been based as fuck.
>>
>>63336373

It was technically qui-gon but it's all kind of a strange mess and his character is completely irrelevant anyway.

>RLM

yeah yeah I know, it was a clever bit and did hit on an important issue but the main character is supposed to be qui-gon.
>>
>>63336373
Easy, PADME.
>>
>>63336389

If Jar Jar had been repurpoused as some kind of a knight in exile that his people didn't like and he had to tag along with the Jedi and desperately wanted to redeem himself that would have made him a valuable part of the team. But even if you re-record his line's he is still the villiage idiot of the gungans and his entire purpose is comedy.

Also the story has bigger problems than jar jar.
>>
>tfw people don't realize C3PO was just as redundant as Jar Jar Binks just because he's in the original trilogy
>>
You are now imaging a TPM with no jar jar or podracing and an older Anakin

Could have beenas good as IV or V desu
>>
By far the most interesting/watchable of the prequels

even if the design work completely ripped off Dinotopia
>>
>>63338540

C3PO was used for translating shit sometimes, and his personality was endearing instead of obnoxious
>>
>>63338540
And in the prequels he turned even worse.

"I'm beside myself!"
>>
>>63336208
>The acting wasn't terrible
Pooruskan?
>>
File: natalie-portman.png (251 KB, 343x726) Image search: [Google]
natalie-portman.png
251 KB, 343x726
>>63336208
D R O P P E D
>>
>comfy

Kill yourself.
>>
>>63342210
Do you point out when actors aren't jewish?
>>
>>63339574
>moving the goal post
>>
>>63342321

How the fuck is that moving the goal post?
>>
File: jewish-hollywood-girls.jpg (1 MB, 1311x1748) Image search: [Google]
jewish-hollywood-girls.jpg
1 MB, 1311x1748
>>63342306
Why so many Jews ffs?
>>
>>63342388
Because they tend to do liberal arts shit
>>
Can someone recommend a new board to me because /tv/ has literally become reddit

there are now DAILY phantom menace praise threads
>>
>>63342388
So do you point out when actors aren't jewish?
>>
>>63342419
I'm starting to think it's not ironic anymore
>>
>>63342366
C-3P0 served less of a purpose in the prequels than jar jar binks did but people dont acknowledge it because he was in the original trilogy.
>>
>>63342419
>>>/b/ is about as 4chan as it gets my friend
>>
>>63342438
No, because hollywood has a jew problem, not a goy problem.
>>
>>63342592

I was talking about C-3P0 in the original trilogy, not the prequels

Do you actually expect me to defend characterisation in the prequels? Fuck that noise
>>
The prequels had so much potential. All it needed was to gradually build some genuine feels between Obi Wan and Anakin and it could have been God-tier. Instead we fucking get a 5 minute scene where Anakin decides to join the dark side. Absolute garbage.
>>
>I was 6 years old last time I saw you
>but I've thought about you every day since then for ten years and have fallen deeply in love with you
>>
Phantom Menace is pretty bad

It's still better than Attack of the Clones

It's not any worse than Revenge of the Sith
>>
>>63342709
this is why the clone wars series is my favorite thing out of the prequels. it manages to develop characters more in 5 seasons then 3 movies could
>>
>>63342709

Honestly the prequels feel like three end of season clip shows from a TV series.
>>
>>63342782
>They're meant to about be the same age
Lucas has some interesting casting decisions
>>
None of the prequels are any more flawed than the Original Trilogy.

Occasionally shitty effects? Yep.
Hammy acting? Yep.
Janky dialogue? Oh fuck yes.
Plot holes? Out the ass.

Star Wars movies are based on Flash Gordon. They're supposed to have frayed edges. It's a Space Opera. It's a sad indictment of the internet hivemind phenomenon that Red Letter Media's gratingly unfunny video series has poisoned perception of these films to such an extent that you literally can't see the hypocrisy in lauding the Original Trilogy (or the upcoming Abrams film, for that matter)... despite sharing every solitary fault the Prequels suffer from.
>>
>>63342812
>manages to develop characters more in 5 seasons then 3 movies could
You're not wrong. However the fact that Lucas wasn't able to develop those characters over the course of three fucking movies is pathetic.
>>
>>63342937
Wait what the fuck are they really? Padme was easily tween or even teen age when anakin was barely talking
>>
>>63342953

Who is the main character of The Phantom Menace?
Who is the main character of A New Hope?
>>
>>63342812
'no'

TCW has saturday morning cartoon tier characterization.
The prequels are uneven as fuck, but at thier deepest, they far surpass TCW.
Also, Kevin Kliner a shit. John Williams helps give the PT a sense of gravitas that TCW doesn't have.

>order 66
>Anakin crying on Mustafar
>Obi-Wan bearing his soul to Anakin's dismembered husk
>Anakin and mom in the Sandnigger camp
>Shmi's burial
>Qui-gon dying and Obi-Wan letting rage feed his power
>Qui-Gon and Shmi talking while watching Anakin
>Padme having the Jappor snippet at her funeral
>"Around the survivor's, a perimeter create"
>"Hello there"

And tons of other stuff.
>>
>>63343018
>movies need to have a main character

>what is an ensemble cast?
>>
>>63343000
She's meant to be 14 in Phantom Menace and Anakins supposed to be 10, downright bizarre choices made in casting Padme for that film
>>
>>63338540

Screw you, C-3PO is one of Star Wars' greatest characters.
>>
>>63343154

Name one thing of use C-3P0 did in the prequel trilogy
>>
>>63343195
Got his head swapped with a battle droid for wacky hi jinks!
>>
File: jake-lloyd-net-worth2.jpg (13 KB, 320x400) Image search: [Google]
jake-lloyd-net-worth2.jpg
13 KB, 320x400
Jar Jar isn't the real problem. The real problem behind TPM is Jake Lloyd as Kid Vader.

1) Jake Lloyd is a shitty, annoying kid actor. He was an annoying little cunt in Jingle All The Way, and he's an annoying little cunt in the film. He has a problem delivering lines, and that problem is that he can't deliver lines in a way that feels genuine. Everything he says sounds completely fake. Kid can't act and I'm glad he grew up to be a washed out loser. Fuck him.

2) Nobody really wants to see Kid Vader or Baby Vader. Vader is this bad ass motherfucker. Hearing him go "yipee" is stupid.

3) The main story is this war. Having a kid in a war is fucking dumb. The shit with him piloting the ship at the end was retarded. The podracing shit is insane: they risk the life of this kid on a bet when Jinn should have been the one podracing because he's way better at the Force than some dumb slavekid.

Anakin would have worked better as a young man around Luke's age. He could be some kind of low level criminal, like a smuggler similar to Han Solo. Jar Jar was dumb, but he was just like a minor background character, who gives a shit? Jake Lloyd was Vader, the face of Star Wars, and he totally fucked it up. He fucked it up, that fucker. Fuck him.
>>
>>63343054
Portman was only 16 and Lloyd was 8 when they filmed TPM. So she's only playing a character 2 years younger than herself and Lloyd only playing a character 1 year older.

By ATC it's meant to be a 24 year old and 19 year old. Not thaaat weird.
>>
>>63343277
It's pretty weird since she knew him when he was a kid.

Like, when he's dicking her hard, he might be 19, but she's taking it from the kid who asked if she was an angel and gave her a little wood trinket (which she fucking kept!). That's weird.
>>
>>63343277
But Portman didn't look like a 16 year old girl let's be honest, it's why everyone I knew went"what the fuck?" when AOTC aged them up
>>
>>63343322
Yeah you're right. It's fucking weird. Honestly I'm surprised Portman was only 16. She was 18 by the time it came out but filming was done in '97.

Also Lloyd looks like he could have been like 6. They should have gone with an actor slightly older than what the part called for.
>>
>>63342812
>clone wars series
>better than the prequels
No. The prequels sucked, but the Clone Wars were worse.
>>
>>63343261
I wouldn't have even minded a teenage edgelord Vader, you could keep all the slave shit in too and it would make a lot more sense with him being "too old" for the kiddy fiddling Jedi Order
>>
It may be because PM was my first Star Wars movie but i always feel comfy when I watch this movie
>>
>>63336373

Plinkett pls go home
>>
I just ordered my ticket for Force Unleashed. Im going alone. Does that make me a loser?`The few friends that i have dont care about star wars. Can people tell when some dude is going alone to the movie theater? Do they point and laugh behind my back? Im already getting anxious...
>>
>>63336408

Are you suuuuure it isn't Obi-Wan?

Quigon is the mentor archetype and dies just like Obi-Wan in episode 4.

Like poetry
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.