[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beyond The Black Rainbow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (59 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59 KB, 1920x816
So, this movie looked great, but damn was it shit. Agreed? Agreed.
>>
I thought it was great. How would you improve it?
>>
Daft Punk wannabees.
>>
>>63329789
>>63329812
It was visually very impressive, had great atmosphere and tension, but was only okay as far as plot and characters went. A 7/10, hope the director makes more films, his style is quite interesting
>>
>>63329812
>>63329896
This .. plot and characters were just not cutting it for me. It truly looks amazing, but overall, it was not good desu
>>
>>63329789
Nice film, kind of a classic for modern films, 7/10 from me.
Kept the intrigue all the way through and at the end I didn't feel it left me wanting or conned me out of my time despite the vague aspect of the story.
>>
>>63329812
Replace the script with something sensible and which doesn't have a long lsd trip scene
>>
>>63331066
>removing the best scene in the movie
>>
>>63329896
>>63330209
This. Its the epitome of style over substance. That said its great an excellent style but its lack of anything worth while beneath the surface is what brings the movie down a great degree.
>>
>>63331066
>taking out one of the best scenes

Full retard
>>
>>63329896
>>63330209
>>63331066
>>63331893
If I didn't know better I'd swear this was a joke.

>plot and characters as a criticism
>7/10 rating like that means anything
>implying style over substance isn't a meme criticism parroted by retards who don't understand that style is substance and there's literally nothing else
>>
>>63332067
None of us think the movie is bad, we're providing our subjective opinions, which is that the lack of any sort of plot or meaningful character moments/motivations takes away from the movie as a whole despite fantastic visual direction and good atmosphere.

Care to explain why what we said was wrong without buzzwords?
>>
>>63332261
>lack of any sort of plot or meaningful character moments/motivations
i think you should read the wikipedia synopsis and rewatch the movie
>>
>>63332261
Plot and characters is never really much of a criticism, even people who use it don't mean it. If all people cared about in movies was what happens to who we'd all just read the Wikipedia summaries to save time. There's always more to a movie than that, you could argue that it's still a part of a movie but I'd say if it is it's a very small one.

And Beyond the Black Rainbow does have a plot and characters, it's just very reticent in its presentation of them. All that stuff about the Arboria institute makes a bit more sense if you're into that Prometheus Rising, take LSD to reach the godhead culture that was around in the 70's and early 80's but you don't have to get it at all to appreciate it. Like you said, fantastic visual direction and good atmosphere.

I'd like you to elaborate on your thoughts now. You said that "the lack of any sort of plot or meaningful character moments/motivations takes away from the movie as a whole." How?

I personally think that the movie does have interesting stuff going on with its characters, so much that it's actually worth rewatching the movie for. And as for an overall plot, well what do you want? I thought that learning about Arboria, Nyle and Elena and seeing where the actions of Nyle and Elena took them was plenty to occupy 110 minutes. It's not a conventional story but I don't think that that means it's not meaningful.
>>
this thread is proving it's 2deep for some
>>
>>63332369
>you didn't get it

Nice cop out. The plot was extremely thin, and only one character's actions made any sort of logical sense.

However, if you don't need any sort of story or logical sequence of events, then I can see how you would rate this higher than a 7. I prefer my style with a more tangible plot.
>>
>>63332369
>rewatch the movie
yes he should

>read the wikipedia synopsis
NO! This isn't necessary and removes the satisfaction of getting it yourself. I find that with movies like these there's often simply too much to take in with one viewing but they aren't actually that complicated, it's sheer volume that overwhelms. The second viewing backed up by what I took in on the first viewing was more than enough to catch everything. Same thing happened to me with Mulholland Drive, first time I understood maybe 1/3 of what happened but with that as a foundation I had the whole thing perfectly down after the second viewing.
>>
>>63332506
which character
>>
>>63332506
Stop being a phillistine. The movie made sense and had a solid amount going on. You don't need to feel threatened by a movie you didn't understand on your first viewing, just read >>63332527 and watch it again.

Nyle's relationship with Elena is more than enough to make an entire movie, but there's even more going on than that. If you want to argue explain who's actions you think didn't make sense, you probably just don't remember quite right or missed something.

Kosmatos is king.
>>
>>63332506
Well, if your entire argument consists of "it lacks plot and meaningful character moments" and when you get asked to evaluate said argument you word by word repeat the same "it lacks plot and meaningful character moments" then it's not a far stretch to assume that you didn't understand the movie considering that you can't even understand the concept of evaluation.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.