[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: movies that are hurt to watch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: squid and the whale.jpg (49 KB, 325x484) Image search: [Google]
squid and the whale.jpg
49 KB, 325x484
ITT: movies that are hurt to watch
>>
File: William Butthurt.jpg (147 KB, 450x566) Image search: [Google]
William Butthurt.jpg
147 KB, 450x566
>>63325293
>ITT: movies that are Hurt to watch
>>
>>63325293
I liked that movie. It might be Baumbach's best.
>>
>are hurt to watch

?
>>
>>63325336
O i am laffin
>>
>>63325293

Also: Greenberg, Margot at the Wedding

Even the new excellent sort of trilogy of Frances Ha, While We're Young, and Mistress America hurt.

Comfy and maudlin at the same damn time

https://youtu.be/FXChdcl5y6I
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (94 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
94 KB, 399x388
>>63325347
>>63325360
i have divorced parents

i'm jessie eisenbergs kid brother in that movie

every time man, every time...
>>
>plot literally revolves around kucking
>jew director
>>
File: tenenbaums1.png (201 KB, 437x240) Image search: [Google]
tenenbaums1.png
201 KB, 437x240
>I know you have Chassie

;_;
>>
>>63325336
lel
>>
>>63325404
Mistress America was the only one of his recent movies that got the balance between screwball and depressing reality perfectly. It's his best since Squid.
>>
>>63325404
>comfy

what is your definition of comfy if Noah Baumbach can be considered comfy?

the spectrum goes from cringey to comfy, and Noah Baumbach movies are nothing but cringey moments.
>>
File: gerwig baumbach.jpg (74 KB, 465x351) Image search: [Google]
gerwig baumbach.jpg
74 KB, 465x351
>>63325596

His films are lovingly crafted and designed. The music, the decor, wardrobe, sets. It's all very warm.

>>63325592

Agreed, my favorite of the three, sort of a mix or perfected version of FH and WWY. The self reflexiveness of WWY and a deconstruction of the Gerwig archetype of FH.
>>
The Squid and the Whale > Greenberg > Kicking & Screaming > Margot at the Wedding > Mistress America > While We're Young > Mr. Jealousy >>>>>> Frances Ha
>>
>>63325596
I hate the term comfy, but if you've only seen later Baumbach I could understand why you think he's nothing but cringe. His early stuff, Highball, Mr. Jealousy, and Kicking and Screaming, are all screwball comedies, particularly the former two. Check them out if you like his stuff, they made me like him way more.
>>
>>63325679
I think what Mistress America had that his other contemporary stuff had been lacking was a sense of levity. Frances Ha in particular took itself way too seriously. MA is a very similar film on paper but it's willingness to be silly and poke fun at itself made it infinitely better.
>>
>>63325832
Yep, While We're Young and Mistress America are welcome steps back in the direction of Kicking & Screaming and Mr. Jealous, which were also a little silly at times and all the better for it. The Squid & the Whale through Frances Ha were far more serious and heavy in execution. Greenberg was great but Frances Ha definitely wasn't. I'm really happy he's going back to the basics but I wouldn't mind another attempt at seriousness.
>>
File: no clicks, only feels now.png (5 KB, 601x695) Image search: [Google]
no clicks, only feels now.png
5 KB, 601x695
mfw people actually watched more of his movies and wanted to experience more cringe and awkwardness and depression and FEELS

the fuck is wrong with you people
>>
What's with all the hate for Frances Ha? It's his best behind Squid and the Whale.
>>
>>63325962
>What's with all the hate for Frances Ha?
The useless interchangeable side characters. The useless black and white photography. The plot contrivances in the third act. The vignette-y approach which was an ill-conceived idea for Baumbach. The blatant Carax ripoff. Greta Gerwig floundering around because there is literally no one else to balance her out. It also took itself far too seriously. I didn't hate it, but I still think it was a failure for Baumbach.
>>
File: greta.jpg (43 KB, 325x475) Image search: [Google]
greta.jpg
43 KB, 325x475
>>63325962

It's great. Hit close to home, could identify w/ her. She's captivating, lively as is the film. Beautifully photographed, amazing soundtrack. Made me at once miss and deplore NYC and the people in it. Felt at once inspired by French new wave but also very modern or now.
>>
File: gerwig damsels.png (1009 KB, 938x632) Image search: [Google]
gerwig damsels.png
1009 KB, 938x632
>>63326083
>at once

just realize I used that 2x

it's been a long day
>>
>>63326127
Damsels in Distress is a fun, very well written movie but it doesn't really have a main thrust.
>>
>>63325962
>>63326037
I don't really remember too many specifics, but it just left me super cold. Ha has Baumbach's signature examination of intellectuals, and although it had contradictions in it's characters the movie itself was almost embarrassingly straightforward in it's presentation of "coming-of-age". The notion that there was an ideal way to act and behave and that the characters were too naive or narcissistic to see it amplified the cruelty of the film tenfold. The last shot really pissed me off too, it's emblematic of the troubling simplicity of the movie's message.
>>
>>63326037
The side characters are great. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the black and white, I really enjoy it. The plot is fine throughout.
>It also took itself far too seriously
...what? Did we watch the same film?
>>
https://youtu.be/m6agteDjKIg

https://youtu.be/OKvH3K5Qoq0

https://youtu.be/AgLzJm83bZ8
>>
>>63326437
I haven't seen it in a while so I can't remember it vividly, but the black and white was a prime example of it taking itself too seriously. I'm not against black and white in general, but evoking Manhattan is more than a little self important. Maybe I'm forgetting some instances that contradict the sentiment, but it's hard for me to see Frances Ha as anything but pretentious, especially after Mistress America came along and said everything the former was trying to say much more eloquently with unabashed zany theatrical antics.
>>
>>63326651
Mistress America is good but far too brief. Frances Ha feels like a complete package. I'm sorry but I really don't think it's fair to critique Frances Ha if you've only seen it once or if you saw it a long time ago (this goes for anyone). The first time I watched it I found it a bit too odd and lacking direction. But every viewing after that it's gotten better and better.
>>
>>63326506
I will concede it had a great soundtrack
>>
>>63326874
It's kind of ridiculous for you to say it's not fair to critique Frances Ha after one viewing when you aren't addressing any of the criticisms.
>>
>>63327154
Like what criticisms? Most of your complaints just seem to be some personal issues you have, rather than whether the movie is good or bad. Complaining about black and white? That's like using the word "pretentious" and expecting to be taken seriously. And I still stand by my statement, multiple viewings are required.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.