[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled.....can we all agree it stopped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 550x228) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 550x228
Now that the dust has settled.....can we all agree it stopped spinning?
>>
>>63278142

Doesn't matter, that was his wife's totem, not Leo's.
>>
File: 1447320220960.jpg (161 KB, 900x902) Image search: [Google]
1447320220960.jpg
161 KB, 900x902
>>63278148
Wasn't his Oscar either.
>>
>>63278148
>plebs still don't understand the movie
Jesus
>>
>>63278207
It was his wife's totem.
>>
can we all agree this is his best movie?
>>
>>63278207
He let other people hold the top. Nobody lets other people so much as touch their totem. His totem was his children's faces. Nobody else ever gets to see them, and he never, ever sees them in dreams.

The only time he sees them is when he's awake at the end.
>>
>>63278348
his wife saw their faces

same with alfred
>>
>>63278348
I wasn't sure of how I felt about the movie when it came out but now I'm pretty sure it's just retarded
>>
>>63278348
I thought his totem was his wedding ring.
>>
What's the deal with totems anyway?
>>
>>63278142

>>63279556
It's actually a real thing used by lucid dreamers
An object that only behaves a certain way in real life, so for example, if you're one of those folks who can't read in their dreams, you'd have a ticket stub or something on you at all times so that if you pull it out and it's all gobbledigook you realise you're dreaming
>>
>>63280695
whoops, first comment to OP was supposed to be

it doesn't matter whether or not it stopped spinning, that's the point, Nolan has already explained it in interviews, it's a comment on the subjectivity of reality that ties into the movie's Philip K. Dick-esque roots
>>
You don't get it.

It's the concept of thinking that that defines what is real for you.

"Life is but a dream" and all that.
>>
>>63280740
*tips Spike*
>>
>>63278348

1) You don't think his fucking wife saw her own kids' faces?

2) There is nothing indicating he saw their faces at the end.

His totem was his wedding ring. It's explicit.
>>
>>63278142

Did you see it stop spinning?

No?

Well OK then.

>>63280695

Lucid dreamers use their hand.
>>
The running theme of the story is that dream is not different from reality. We see what happened with Cobb's wife. We see people going to slumber parties to "get woken up". That's why Cobb walks away, because he doesn't care anymore and neither should we.
>>
>>63278142
It doesn't matter if it stopped spinning or not. All that mattered was that Leo was where he wanted to be.
>>
>>63278142
Yes we all can.
>>
>>63281957
This.
Also why the entire plot of The Matrix is actually pointless if you think about it.
>>
>>63282073
In real world people would not escape Matrix, they would pay subscription fees.
>>
>>63280695
>gobbledigook

my totem is keks
>>
>>63282128
Exactly
>>
>>63279556
You can see totem in actual use in the beginning where Asian guy brushed against carpet and realized it's not his carpet because constructor failed to replicate it perfectly. So people make an item they are intimately familiar with and nobody can replicate well enough if they remember to replicate it at all.

Spinning top is actually pretty useless as a totem, but it was a necessity because touch and feel is not something you can translate through screen.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.