[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is television an inherently worse medium than cinema in regards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: tv.jpg (301 KB, 540x2027) Image search: [Google]
tv.jpg
301 KB, 540x2027
Is television an inherently worse medium than cinema in regards to artistic expression, /tv/?
>>
No because the artist is not expressing themselves at the location of the screen. They already expressed themselves.

His comments are about viewer reception, which is a bit different.
>>
yes, but not for those reasons. It's because of ads breaking up movies.

Netflix & Chill > cinema > > > > > > TV
>>
>>63257844
The medium in which they express themselves in is part of the expression though.
>>
Unless I am for some reason mute and wheelchair bound, I am also capable of getting up whenever I want at the theater, and taking an hour long shit for instance

Television might even be better. Get people at home where they're comfortable and can get as invested as they want
>>
You have a time frame of 30 minutes on average to an hour for specials once a week, technically you could create a masterpiece or just draw things out longer and longer creating meaningless sub story lines and plots with weak characters. I'd say yes but that's only because most great directors don't touch TV, there's exceptions of course like hitchcock or Krzysztof Kieslowski with decalogues.
>>
>>63257783
TV makers endorse low IQ content, greedy, sliced into episodic pieces, whereas cinema artisans tailor aesthetic masterpieces with wools of celluloid for instant gratification, but also artistic satisfaction.
>>
>>63257951
Way to miss the point, buddy.
>>
>>63258043
most people watch netflix shows in a few chunks at maximum
>>
>>63257973
Most great directors don't touch TV because it has historically been a commercial medium.
>>
What if I watch an episode of a television series on a film projector/screen
>>
The Sopranos has more artistic merit than all organized crime movies put together including The Godfather and Goodfellas.
>>
>>63258161
What if you're not retarded and don't take everything literally
>>
>>63257935
Yes but he is not talking about the medium he is talking about how the viewer typically interacts with it. Some people listen to music as background noise and some people sit down and do nothing but listen to it, the former group doesn't make music any worse as a medium.
>>
>>63258221
The Sopranos wouldn't even exist if not for The Godfather.
Don't get me wrong, I love The Sopranos but saying it has more artistic merit than The Godfather is silly.
>>
File: 1373790334082.jpg (136 KB, 775x1031) Image search: [Google]
1373790334082.jpg
136 KB, 775x1031
>>63258161
It is inherently better of course
>>
>>63258311
It does you fucking rat.
>>
>>63258271
M8 he is clearly talking about both, user interaction doesn't exist without the medium
>>
File: 1447102935352.png (645 KB, 830x1262) Image search: [Google]
1447102935352.png
645 KB, 830x1262
>>63258383
No
>>
File: college-1024.jpg (190 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
college-1024.jpg
190 KB, 1024x576
>>63258477
come ere you pleb
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.