[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Fletcher right in abusing his students like that?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Brody-Whiplash-1200.jpg (164 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Brody-Whiplash-1200.jpg
164 KB, 1200x800
Was Fletcher right in abusing his students like that?
>>
>>63246407
Nope, but by god it fucking works.
>>
>>63246407

>"I'm gonna make the greetest musicians ever"
>only plays generic jazz music
>>
>>63246407
Nope, but by god it fucking works.
>>
>>63246407
Absolutely not. The fact that he wasn't fired sooner was the most fictional aspect of the film.
>>
>>63246476
But his manipulative bullshit turned Andrew into a solid drummer.
>>
>>63246476
I saw it as the school keeping quiet because he won competitions
>>
>>63246419
>>63246456

Is this a new meme or something...?
>>
>>63248346
nope, but by god it fucking will be
>>
>>63246407

Yes.

Kids today are too fucking coddled. You have to work to be great. Life has no participation trophies and it certainly doesn't have any "I existed" trophies.
>>
No, but he is completely right. That manner of teaching is how legends are made.

His style of teaching is best reserved for private tutoring rather than for lecturing entire public classes.
>>
>>63246551
In real life that wouldn't work
>>
>>63246551
Watch the movie again. Right at the beginning when they show Andrew practicing, you can see that he's already as good as he is at the end. All Fletcher does is abuse him, but the only positive outcome of that is that it allows Andrew to not give a fuck when Fletcher publicly embarrasses him and he comes out and does that ridiculous performance at the end. that is basically all Fletcher was trying to do for him, to get him to that level where he knew how good he was and fuck what some old dipshit failure has to say about it.
>>
No. His most successful student ended up playing for Wynton Marsalis lol
>>
>>63246407
Yes. Women wouldn't understand though
>>
>>63246407
Depends if you see being the greatest but dying in your 20s of a drug overdose as success. The table scene pretty much tells you how Andrews life will turn out
>>
>>63251725

But why though? I get maybe back then when jazz was huge that musicians would turn out like this, but jazz I'd a dead/dying genre of music. How much of a dreadful lifestyle could Andrew have in the present day as a jazz drummer that would drive him towards that kind of end?
>>
At least one person killed himself and probably countless other talented musicians were driven away from the medium who could have been greats.

Then when he's given another chance to stroke his own ego, he potentially sabotages a bunch of other musicians just to get back at the one person who finally had enough of his shit.

No it wasn't worth it
>>
>want to be the greatest
>someone push you be to great
>kill yourself because someone is pushing you
america everyone
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.