[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harry Potter plot holes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 145x202) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 145x202
So I just started watching these films since I stopped watching at the 3rd film years ago, but just finished the 4th one today after watching 1-4 over the last few days and I now I have some serious questions. (If you try spoiling it, I already know how it ends, who dies, etc.)
Here are a few.
1) How the hell are these children allowed to do magic unsupervised outside school? Suppose Harry didn't inflate his aunt, but blew her up completely? What if he teleported his aunt/uncle to Mars and killed them out of anger? As we saw in the 1st film, it doesn't even need to be on purpose nor require a wand.
2) Quidditch. In the first film, they are literally left to fall to their death. You think you would have moderators ready to use a slow-fall spell or something. Not to mention they can fly into the crowd, or out of view from everyone. And he caught the snitch in like 5 minutes his first game? What the hell is the point of scoring goals if whoever catches the snitch wins anyway?
3) So in the 4th film, they let Harry compete because they wanted to use him as bait and he was seconds from death and now Voldemort is back because "hurr durr let's use this 14 yr old as bait".
4) why didn't DUMBeldore rewind time with that wAtch thing from the 3rd film to save Cederic and prevent Voldemort from returning?
5) why the fuck does everyone come in At the last second using Expelliarmus with perfect precision?
6) How does no one see them going through the wall at the train station?
7) "let's let a bunch of moody, hormonal teenagers with superpowers live in one place with each other"
This is all I can think of at the moment.
>>
>>63230196
1.) It's a children's movie.
2.) It's a children's movie.
3.) It's a children's movie.
4.) It's a children's movie.
5.) It's a children's movie.
6.) It's a children's movie.
7.) It's a children's movie.

Next thread.
>>
Thanks for the keen incites, senpai.
>>
>>63230196
>2) Quidditch. In the first film, they are literally left to fall to their death. You think you would have moderators ready to use a slow-fall spell or something. Not to mention they can fly into the crowd, or out of view from everyone. And he caught the snitch in like 5 minutes his first game? What the hell is the point of scoring goals if whoever catches the snitch wins anyway?

There are instances in the book where despite the Snitch being caught, the match is still lost because the other team had still accumulated more points.

Catching the Snitch gives you 150 points and ends the match, doesn't mean you've won if the other team still has more points.
>>
>>63230279
I knew this would be a response.

>>63230294
That only answers half the question, and it would take hours to score 160 points to win, don't tell me if he caught the snitch in 5 minutes at age 11, he wouldn't catch it even faster as he aged And got better. Not to mention the broom he got gives him a HUGE advantage over others.
>>
>OP noticed a children's movie based on a not terribly well written but very popular book series is full of bullshit
Welcome to life OP
>>
>>63230376
>Ayn Rand
dropped
>>
>>63230196
>being this autistic
>>
>>63230196

>2) Quidditch

Because this is what happens when a sport is created by a woman

>points scoring system needlessly inflated tenfold
>one act of scoring is worth 15 times more than the other act of scoring
>the game has no set time, ends when somebody scores points in a certain way

It's fucking retarded. She had to back track in the 4th book and have somebody catch the snitch but his team still lose. But then, why the fuck would he do that?

Women don't get sport at all
>>
File: 1448830815047.jpg (12 KB, 406x422) Image search: [Google]
1448830815047.jpg
12 KB, 406x422
>>63230404
>Disliking Ayn Rand
>>
>>63230880
it's meant to be a parody of weird boarding school sports that make no sense, like the Eton Wall Game or Winchester football
>>
>>63230917

So it's ironically shit? Then why is it a full fledged professional sport with a world cup? And why did Krum willingly catch the snitch in the world cup final and lose the match?
>>
>>63230376
posting that shit unironically

ha ha
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>63230196
'ey, that's a picture of me back in Liverpool.'
>>
>>63230376
>Atlas Shrugged

This instantly gave it away, needs some work to make it more subtle.
>>
>>63230880
Krum caught the Snitch because he 'knew' Ireland was going to win and didn't want the game to go on any longer.

It'd be the same as Messi telling the referee to forfeit the World Cup final to Germany because he knew the rest of the Argentinian team was shit. Rowling designed Quidditch specifically around the idea that the Seeker was the most important and special player, and that Harry could be one.
>>
hogwarts is the only school in the uk
each year there come like 30 new students
30 times a life expectancy of lets say 80 equals 2400 wizards in th uk
basicly the population of a village scattered throughout the whole country has a giant ministry building, it's own banking system, a booming shopping district, giant sporting tournaments with a national team
>>
1) Children aren't allowed to use magic outside of school until they're 17, but accidental magic (inflating his aunt, the type of magic that let's the magic world know a kid isn't a muggle/squib) is acceptable-ish since they aren't actually in control of it
2) Catching the snitch only ends the game and gives the team of the catcher 150 points. Game is dangerous because Rowling probably didn't think it through much.
3) The real reason is worse, they just let him compete because the cup said so, Moody planted Harrys' name so that Voldy could sacrifice him
4) Fuck time turners, Rowling put them in for convenience in the third and never uses them again despite being able to solve everything. (though in the series' internal logic you can't actually changeanything when you go back in time since all Harry and Hermione did was things that happened anyway)
5) J.K. Rowling is a bad writer. Good at writing worlds, not good at anything else.
6) See above.
7) "let's let a bunch of moody, hormonal teenagers live in one place with each other" + literally anything is a bad combination and also basically what happens at boarding school
>>
>>63230196
Watching these movies for any other reason than their comfyness is useless
Rowling admitted she had no idea where she was going with the story and had to invent rediculous magical solutions to the plotholes
>>
>Harry Potter plotholes

buckle up, it's gonna be a looooooong day
>>
>>63231269
are you actually a woman?
If there's no time limit you would never catch the snitch if it meant losing the game
>>
>>63231013
Imagine...
>>
>>63230196
With the magic in the muggle world IIRC from the book they say that people under 18 have some sort of tracker on them that could detect if they were using magic in the real world. I think the 7th movie brushed up on this sorta.
>>
>3rd film
>Trelawney doesn't remember the prophecy she tells harry

>6th book only I think
>Trelawney remembers Snape interrupting her giving a prophecy

Is there any other explanation other than >>63230279 and Dumbledore is evil and messed with everyone's memories?
>>
>>63231269
those reasons you gave are legit, but shit

Quidditch is the worst sport ever invented, it would literally be 10 times better without the whole snitch deal
>>
File: 1449006097832.jpg (508 KB, 1180x1483) Image search: [Google]
1449006097832.jpg
508 KB, 1180x1483
what the heck did you expect?? Harry Potter was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects?all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>But at least the books are ggood though!
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
>>63230966
>And why did Krum willingly catch the snitch in the world cup final and lose the match?

>I nu ve vud not vin
Or something like that, it's been years.
>>
Hey. Hey. Hey.

Why didn't George and Fred notice all the villains on the Maurauders Map? Peter Pettigrew would show up next to Ron, Voldemort would show up next to the 1st year teacher guy, Ginny would be seen being in the CoS, etc, etc.
>>
>>63231699
This pasta is stale.
>>
>>63231778
because JK Rowling doesn't think things through before she writes them
>>
>>63230196
1. They aren't allowed to but Dumbledor protects Harry when he does stuff accidentally, there was a trial for it in one movie
But in general the entire magical lore was retarded though and had no consistency
2. They can heal all sorts of broken bones falling isn't that bad, pretty much every Quidditch game that was featured in the story was some "unusual" where something was tampered with, but yeah it's a dumb concept make by a woman
3. I thought they let him compete because the sorting cup was infallible or some shit
4. Again, no magical consistency. That whole rewindy thing was some sort of dues ex machina that Rowling put no thought into
5. No magical consistency, wands were guns by the end of the franchise
6. Hurr muggles are dumb
7. College
>>
>>63231778
They thought Ron and Quirrel were gay and never paid attention to the sorting so they didn't know that Peter Pettigrew and Tom Riddle weren't just students.

Also, the chamber wasn't on the map, because the marauders never found it, like the room of requirement.
>>
my time to shine
why Harry Potter has no artistic merit like boyhood?
why they have to write up new contract each movie?
why didn't they work real dumbledoor mans death into the story instead of recasting him? is it because no artistic merit?
why does Ralph Fiennes make the same face for disgust for every role hes in? even with make up and no nose you can see the same dumb face. did he know that these are just commercials for the book(s)
how can J.K. Rowlings get away with being so tokenistic all the time but others cant?
why did the series(both movies and books) try to become mature but still feel and act so childish?
are the ploting holes part of the childish charm or is it because she is a flawed writeress ?
why is harry potter the chosen one if the fat boy with funny teeth is the one that killed voledmort?
why is ginger kid the poor one? we've all seen in real life that its usually people with brown hair and in fact how does a ginger even have friends let alone the chosen boy?
why people say the world building is "great" when it is still insufficiently full? wouldn't a better author have created a school with 4 complete houses ones where the 'hero' could conceivably have come from any of the 4?
where does jesus fit into the story if people of jewish ethnicity are in it now?
why does it feel and look like only the first book was the only planned one? did she only keep writing them for money?
why does harry potter always get christmas gifts but he never sends them out? is this because daniel radcliff is of jewish descent?
>>
>>63230294
Well if anyone playing was good at all at simple math, they just wouldn't catch the snitch in that case because they would know that it would make them lose.
>>
>>63231937
why in the first book is star class at 12:00 am wednesday but later they are shown hanging out in their bedrooms at the same time? why was it never discussed they cut class that night?
why did rowling keep writing about magic if she did not like it?
why wizard school has stringent rules to keep magic and check and avoid being caught by people but it is ok for harry potter to break all rules?
why all the books have the same structure?
why do characters all become dull as the series kept going on? as a writer shouldn't she have improved over the years?
as follow up to above why did screenwriters not fix this issue?
why does harry potter fail to solve a single mystery when it is referred to as "pulp mystery books"?
why is dragon alley their wall street when in reality its just a big toys r us?
if there is a spell that kills you if you don't keep a promise why don't they just put spell on all people so they don't use magic or kill normal people?
in the end will books like twilight be the only legacy of Harry Potter and actually remembered unlike harry potter in 50 years time?
>>
>>63231778
pretty sure they just regarded it as a toy that sometimes fucked up or did goofy things, that's what the books suggested anyway

The biggest plothole in the movie is the infinite magical abilities
In the first few they could do some cute little tricks, and you were vaguely aware of some more advanced magic
But by the end there were at least a dozen separate spells or powers that could solve almost any anything
I understand they're growing up and learning, but every spell should have just been called "problemo solvo"
>>
>>63232036
>Be Moodie in Goblet of Fire
>"Neville, what is a forbidden spell?"
>"er, um...Abra Cadaver...?"
>Nevilles wand shoots a bright green light
>Moodie is dead
>Neville is rotting in Azkaban for using a forbidden spell
>the end
>>
Most of the plot holes in the movies are explained in the books unsurprisingly. That said there are still a lot of deus ex machina present as well as shit that was never fully explained
>>
did ever explain the time travel plot hole?
>>
>>63230196
1) They aren't allowed to use magic outside of school until they are 17. Harry receives a warning from the Ministry in the second book when Dobby levitates the cake over the visiting business partners of Uncle Vernon. He leaves Privet Drive in a hurry in the third because, by all rights and purposes, he would be expelled this time. Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, however, is a colossal dick hoping to ingratiate himself with Potter and to use him as a celebrity voter for his next term, that's why he's let off for inflating his aunt. The Ministry healers can put people back together that have splintered themselves, that is, that have only partially apparated/telepored and left half of their bodies at their starting point. They probably can fix an outright exploded aunt if they arrive quickly enough. (Avada Kedvra, however, kills outright. There is no counter spell.)

2) Yes, Quidditch is designed to Harry can win it, but the team oppossed to the one whose seeker catches the snitch can still win if they managed to get 16 goals or at least 16 goals ahead of the other team. Also, concernin the slow-fall spell, there is Arresto Momentum that does exactly that.

3) Harry can't turn decline to compete because the Goblet of Fire apparently creates a binding contract for the chosen ones. They're basically putting the rules before reason. They also weren't aware that the trophy had been turned into a Port Key and neither where it would lead. They were on to Barty Crouch Jr.'s machinations over the whole movie, they just didn't find out about him impersonating Alastor Moody until it was almost too late.

4) Time Turners basically don't seem to allow you to alter events, rather than they create predestination paradoxes first you have to re-enact later. Buckbeak was always saved, the executioner McNair always vented his frustration at the pumpkins, Sirius always escaped and it was always Harry casting the Patronus to repel the scores of Dementors
cont.
>>
>>63230196
>when Harry uses the Elder Wand against Voldemort it actually IS unbeatable, to the point where it allows him to compensate for the disparity in their magical ability
>Grindelwald uses the Elder Wand against Dumbledore in their duel
>Oh but this time it's not really infallible just a really powerful wand, cuz Dumbledore was still able to beat him ;)
inb4 memeing about the shoehorned fag romance between them

rowling is a straight up hack
>>
the biggest plot-hole in HP is if a basilisk tooth is one of the only things which can destroy a horocrux, why didn't harry explode into pieces when he gets bitten in the chamber of secrets
>>
>>63232290
Fawkes healed him before he died.
>>
>>63232239
Can you explain apparating
I never read the books, but it seems like a fix-all magical power
(that makes port keys completely pointless)
>>
I never understood in the final book why Voldemort still does the death move on Harry even though he was just told that it would reflect on him.
>>
I'm re-reading them right now. The books are still amazing except for the quidditch. It still doesn't make sense.
>>
>>63232273
oh dumbledore and grindelwald definitely dueled with their "wands" ;)

dumbledore stole it from grindelwald as he was sleeping after a night of porking and called the wizard police
>>
>>63232366
>The books are still amazing
How old are you?
>>
>>63232366
>quidditch
which book is that?
>>
>>63232366
>amazing
lad theyre only good for nostalgia.
nice dubs, check mine
>>
>>63230196
cont.
4) Cedric, however, was observed by Harry dying on the spot. He was hit square in the chest with the killing curse. Going back to prevent his death would have altered the time line. Granted, they say in the book that Time Turners are dangerous because sometimes people go back in time and get killed by their previous self thinking they're being impersonated, but that doesn't really seem to work unless it always happened in the first place or a parallel universe is created each time this happens.

5) Because Expelliarmus is Harry's signature spell. He's super good at it. Nobody else posesses such talent. Also, you can't have Harry use the killing curse on people. He's the hero.

6) MAGIC. There's bound to be a slight perception filter on that wall. Nevertheless, they still have to look out in the books whether the coast is clear before they attempt the run in the books. Also, Muggles are described as just being too good at ignoring what they think can not be, and would dismiss it as a hallucination. Children's book.

7) There's teachers and healers if something really serious happens. Also, yes, Fred and George manage to get up to shenanigans like putting someone in a vanishing cabinet who only turns up weeks later in the Saharah and have never been expelled for it because... it's an anecdote mentioned in the children's book to be taken as comic relief.
>>
It's fucking magic, I ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
File: 1448400717043.gif (785 KB, 245x270) Image search: [Google]
1448400717043.gif
785 KB, 245x270
>>63230912
>disliking badly-written adolescent power/superiority fantasies
Wew lad seems pretty patrician to me
>>
>>63231269
The world cup was one of my favorite scene's from the books and it was like 20 useless seconds in the movie
>>
Real men play Quadpot.
>>
>>63232366
I would stake my fucking life on the chances that you're:

A) fat
B) a woman
C) lonely and single
D) a lonely and single fat woman
E) a whiteknight redditer

Am I wrong?
>>
>>63231431
Whose ass are you pulling those population numbers from?
>>
>>63232427
No, they're great. Only the first two chapters of the first book feel weird and awkward but it gets better. Shame about the movies though. It's not a very good adaptation especially those directed by Yates. OotP has such a great cinematic finale in the book which is absolutely wasted in the movie.
>>
>>63232467
>meme defense
Anti-rand(Ayn btw)) liberals in a nutshell
>>
>>63232393
Up to (and IIRC including) the fifth book. In the fourth, there's no Quidditch tournament because the playing field is needed to provide room for the final hedge maze. In the sixth, they stop having tournaments because there are Death Eaters on the loose, and in the seventh, Harry is no longer at school, instead it's time to go tramping and camping, and horcrux-stamping.
>>
>>63232500
Yes, contrarian. You're full of shit.
>>
>>63231431
>booming shopping district
>literally one street
>>
>>63231431
it was way more than 30, and the UK was like the center of magic in the world
I almost want to say there were other schools in the UK but I don't remember the books very well
>>
>>63232500

Most likely a poorly read facebook "nerd".
>>
>>63230279

Ultimately a lot of these questions are going to go back to this answer. But I'll do my best to address a couple.

1. You aren't. It's against the law for an underage wizard to practice magic unsupervised. Doing so can result in your wand being taken away forever. Harry gets away with it because he's Harry Potter.

2. Quidditch is kinda like cricket in that the games can go on forever. At the quidditch world cup in book/movie 4, Ireland beats Bulgaria 170 - 160 (Bulgaria caught the snitch giving them 150 points)
3. Dunno
4. I think that even with magic, time travel is a risky proposition.
5. See Children's movie point
6. Magic. Kinda bullshit I know, but still that's the simple explanation, Magic
7. See Children's movie point
>>
The time turner was so plot breaking that she had to destroy them all in book 5
>>
>>63232568
The 150 points for the snitch rule is where it all falls apart.
>>
>>63230360
There are quidditch games that go for days, I think it was more luck he caught it so quickly
>>
File: 1442611838883.jpg (371 KB, 1007x1281) Image search: [Google]
1442611838883.jpg
371 KB, 1007x1281
>>63232366
>amazing
Star wars 7 really has ruined this board.
>>
>>63232604
Faux /lit/ philosophers coming to threads about things they don't like and shitting on them. How interesting.
>>
I'd like to stick my dick in Hermione's plot holes. Get it?
>>
>>63232621
Didn't she backtrack and say you could only go back a few hours, and under the right planned out conditions
>>
>>63232673
Idiotic picture, makes no sense, seen it everywhere, probably made by a try hard who wants to seem educated and who loves writing pastas nobody reads.
>>
>>63232725
A few hours and you can't be seen by your past self. Rowling can write a good climax but the one in Book 3 is by far the weakest.
>>
>>63232500
>>63232604
Looks like I was right >>63232687

Probably add A and E as well to it
>>
>>63232709
too bad she wears those rape x condoms now since she went full feminist
>>
>>63232347
Well, it renders Port Keys useless, yes. The point of Port Keys is, however, not to provide transport, but to co-ordinate it. The Ministry uses them in book 4 during the Quidditch World Cup to get large numbers of wizards to the camping site of the tournament playing field, and to have them turn up at fixed points far away from prying Muggle eyes. If apparating is the car (which is comparable, because you need to take a test and get your license and you can only do it once you are of legal age) of the wizarding world, a Port Key is the bus or tube train (which you are also allowed to use at any age). Port Keys also work at places where charms against apparition were placed, like Hogwarts. The only person who can apparate off and onto Hogwarts' grounds is the headmaster.
>>
>>63232709
emma watson should've played ginny and vise versa. i'm pretty sure ginny was supposed to be hot as fuck and hermione an ugly nerd
>>
>>63232640
Which is why it wasn't prominently featured in the later half of the series when things got darker.
>>
>>63231431
not all uk kids go to hogwarts
malfoy almost went to durmstrang
not that your point isnt totally valid anyways
>>
>>63232911
>ginger watson
hnnnnggggg
>>
>>63232673
My 2 cents:

>The Odyssey
Honestly, everyone should read this. It's entertaining as fuck, even for a modern audience. It's nothing but monsters and people dying and revenge plots and kekoldry and whatnot. Absolutely fantastic, I recommend it to everyone I know

>Gilgamesh
Some of the translations sound cool, but this shit is just way too old and weird to have any relevance or impact other than historical.

>The Inferno
Dark as fukk and interesting in a historical sense, but unless you've read and studied the bible, a lot of it isn't going to really hit you. For a religious audience though, this shit bangs hard.

>Beowulf
Has some pretty cool scenes and sequences at the beginning, but it kinda drags in the middle. Beowulf is a certified badass though, and the ending is cool as fuck in a "fuck the world I'm the greatest but what was it all for" kind of way. I'd recommend this, after the Odyssey, and before the Inferno

Seriously faggos, pull yourself away from the screen now and then and read these fuckers, and not Harry goddamned Potter. In 800 years no one will know what Harry Potter is, but we'll still be talking about how Odysseus fucked up Polyphemus and the suitors.
>>
I'm waiting for Rowling to reveal who exactly died in the last battle because right nowthe only evil characters we know died there are Bellatrix and Voldemort and we know at least a couple more who realy deserved to die. No wonder there were so many casualties on the good side. They were all a bunch of softies.
>>
>>63233000
>In 800 years no one will know what Harry Potter is, but we'll still be talking about how Odysseus fucked up Polyphemus and the suitors.

That may well be, but we're all going to be dust by then and I don't care what people in 800 years think about me. Also, if always only stick to "classics" and deny ourselves to add to the canon, we stagnate. We might as well stop everything now. It's all been done before.
>>
>>63233089
That's retarded logic you little retard. It's not all or nothing. I'm just saying people ought to spend their time reading classics over Harry Potter. Nobody says you can't read modern things, just that you shouldn't waste your time as an adult reading these particular 7 books in favour of actual literature.
>>
>>63233089
Well, you can still pretend to like those ancient texts, which we remember because they're the only ones that survived, to appear more sophisticated.
>>
>>63233089
>but we're all going to be dust by then
But the person thats going to live to 200 years is alive right now and by then they could extend your life even further
YOU could be that person pleb
>>
File: missi.gif (2 MB, 632x353) Image search: [Google]
missi.gif
2 MB, 632x353
>>63231269
>missi
>>
>>63233185
Seeing as the Harry Potter novels are immensely popular, I wouldn't be too surprised if they, in the distant future, become classics themselves. Just imagine that. With cliffnotes and shit. And a line translation into Neo-English.
>>
>>63232640

if the other team is more than 150 points ahead, then the seeker's role becomes stopping the other seeker from getting the snitch, since catching it yourself will end the game without enough points for a win.

it's bullshit
>>
>>63233222
You keep getting trips. Bravo.
>YOU could be that person pleb

Then I'll keep reading HP to everyone who wants to listen.

After all this time, I hear you ask?

Always.
>>
>>63232565
Please defend the book without using memes or grandstanding about libertarian talking points then
>>
>>63233250
Well of course they will just like Tolkien is now. The real debate should really be about CS Lewis and Chronicles of Narnia because honestly I'm not sure they will be remembered by the next generation.
>>
>>63233274
It makes sense in Hogwarts when it's all about a total number of points. But not during play offs. Of course it just means that the other team will try to injure the seeker of the opposite team but what happens next?

Alternatively it's just another proof of how eccentric the wizarding world really is and that they can't change the rules to a game they invented centuries ago.
>>
File: who the fuck is he.jpg (49 KB, 425x302) Image search: [Google]
who the fuck is he.jpg
49 KB, 425x302
Who the fuck was this fat black kid?

Harry's age group in Gryffindor only had Harry, Ron, Neville, Sheamus, and Dean. Dean was not that fat or black
>>
>>63233543
I'm colorblind, but I don't think that's a Gryffindor tie. Then he's not in Gryffindor but a Slytherin or Hufflepuff, depending whether it's green or yellow.

The real question is... WHO THE HELL IS AMANDA
>>
>>63230196

1.They aren't allowed to do magic unsupervised outside of school. Harry was temporarily expelled before his 5th year for casting a Patronus in front of his cousin. No known spells would allow a wizard to do what you suggest. Magic is still bound by rules and limitations.

2. It's likely that there's an enchantment to prevent outright death; likely you'd fall, stop just before the ground, then fall again so as to break the lethal momentum. Flying into the crowd has no real advantage in a game, and you can't leave the boundaries of the pitch so no real way to go out of view of everyone (not that this would give you any advantage anyways). Catching the snitch gives your team 150 points and ends the game. Doesn't mean you win. Krum catches it but his team loses to Ireland in the 4th book.

3. There's no 'let.' He really didn't have a choice, as the Goblet of Fire's choice constitutes "a binding magical contract." It's heavily implied that he had no real choice.

4. You don't mess with time.

5. It's a movie. Characters are sometimes going to do things a little more extraordinarily than in the real world.

6. Muggles don't notice magic, even if it's right in front of their noses. It's implied throughout the entire series that muggles have taken their denial of magic's existence so far that it's completely ingrained and nothing but direct evidence they witness with full attention can shake that.

7. They go to school. They're far better off being under a watchful eye at the school than running amok with no guidance or schooling on how to control their powers.
>>
>>63233543
>>63233661
He's a Gryffindor.
Cuaron added a lot of kids to make Hogwarts seem bigger than only Harry, his roomates, Justin Finch-Fletchley and Malfoy's friends.
>>
>>63230196
1. They aren't allowed to use magic outside of Hogwarts until they're 17, it's a big part of the plot. There's a whole ministry in the wizarding government that will nail your ass to the wall for underage magic.
2. They have magical healing and I remember on a few occasions people use spells to break their falls. I don't think they even fly that high in the book, they just had to make everything bigger and more epic for the movie.
3. That's not what happened. At least not in the book, I don't remember if they changed something for movie.
4. There's rules and limits on its use. One of the principles of magic is that there's nothing in the wizarding word that can reverse a human death.
5. Drama
6. I dunno
7. Not a plot hole
>>
>>63233661
That is 100% red and yellow

Apparently he's some movie only character named Bem

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Bem
>>
>>63233000
Stephen Mitchell's translation of Gilgamesh is the best thing I've ever read, get on it
>>
>>63233000
But my max comfyzzz trying to impress people with popculture!
>>
>>63233661
>I'm colorblind
that's a microaggression you know
>>
>>63233731
2) They've got Mediwizards guard the sidelines during the World Cup that take care of people's injuries, they'd also intervene if anybody was thrown off their broom. For stopping the fall, it's said that Dumbledore did that when Harry was ambushed by the Dementors during a match in the third book. The film gives the spell the name Arresto Momentum.
>>
>>63233543
Biggie Smalls.
>>
>>63233874
Literally my eyes are fucked. Can't tell red from green. WhatÄs that called, daltonic?
>>
>>63230196
The kids are not allowed to do magic outside school period. In the book it was cut and dry. In the movies they are seen using it with no consequences. However they do it at the Weasley's house and the way magic tracking works it would only pick up that magic was done at X location not by whom. Since Harry is the only wizard in his neighborhood then it is automatically seen as him casting any spell. He would be arrested and tried for killing his aunts/uncle. They would send in a team to mind wipe any witnesses.

2. Quidditch is mentioned several times in the books to be very dangerous. Like hockey/rugby in the air. I mean there are freaking medicine balls chasing after people trying to hit them. There are 14 people in the air riding around insanely fast. Madam Hooch was probably supposed to be in charge of safety but seekers tend to be all over the map and hard to follow. There are also mentions in the book of times where teams scored more goals then the snitch catching team. Snitch is worth 150 points and ends the game, but isn't an auto win.

3. It isn't shown well in the film, but Voldemort used a very ancient and unknown ritual to return to his former body. It required bones of his relative (his father whom he despired, hence the graveyard), flesh of the servant (wormtail), and blood of the rival (Harry). Otherwise he would have been that ugly ass baby still.

4. Time travel is strictly monitored and in the books it is mentioned that it has devastating and horrific consequences if done incorrectly. When Harry/Herminonee do it then it creates a closed loop because they never see the outcomes of events beforehand. They don't see buckbeak die. They just see the axeman drop the axe. Shit like that. Dumbledore knows Cedric died and if he rescued him then it would create a paradox.

Too lazy to answer the last. In short.
The books address most of it and they are targeted toward families and children. They are popcorn flicks.
>>
File: white friends.jpg (21 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
white friends.jpg
21 KB, 480x480
>>63230196

do you think these wizards would be able to stop a school shooting? school full of white kids would make me nervous f/am
>>
>>63231650
All the...
>>
>>63235027
a school full of white kids wouldn't be forced to learn at the rate of the dumbest nigger.
>>
>>63230196
What kind of a fucking retard hasn't even read Harry Potter?
>>
A plot hole would be something like Professor Quirrell not killing Harry that night they first meet in Diagon Alley. He's just left unsupervised in a room by himself.

The things you mention are all pretty redundant.
>Children cant do magic outside of school >Teachers always supervise the quiddich matches, for example Snape always lets Slytherin cheat to win
>They let Harry compete because those are the rules of the tournament
>You can't actually change anything by going back in time, you get stuck in the loop of everything happened the way it did because you went back to change it originally
>They trained in a special club at school to get good at duelling
>The same magic that hides the Leaky Cauldron causing muggles to ignore its entrance is used at the train station
>So any boarding school? It's an old English tradition.

There are glaring plotholes in the books. Mostly Dumbledore's decisions when it comes to protecting Voldemort, its an Obi-Wan, Vader, Luke triangle.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.