[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nominated 13 times and only won 1 oscar how does this make you feel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
Nominated 13 times and only won 1 oscar
how does this make you feel?
>>
>>63206446
the Oscars are a bastion of mediocrity, so its fitting that the greatest director of all time never actually won an Oscar for Directing, or Best Film
>>
Who cares?
>>
>>63206446
Why was Salmon Rushdie nominated for an Oscar?
>>
>>63206446
Academy Awards are for fags.
>>
>>63206507
>Who cares?
Why the fuck do you click a thread and comment that you piece of cancer, this is a fucking board dedicated to movies
>>
>>63206597
I said who cares because only women and fags care about Oscars.
>>
>>63206597
Don't ask the question if you can't stand the answers. I don't care either, all it does it reflect on how horrible the oscars really are.

Oscars are an absolute joke.
>>
>>63206446
His only good work was 2001.

Oscars don't mean much anyways.
>>
>>63206701
the shining? eyes wide shut?
>>
>>63206726
EWS could be interesting.
>>
>>63206446
There was a lot more competition in his day, and he still won one.
>>
>>63206513
He filmed himself shitting in a cup and giving it to a muslim as a cup of tea. 10/10 cinematic masterpiece
>>
>Kevin O'Connell has the most nominations without a win. He has been nominated 20 times for best sound or best achievement in sound mixing.

kek what a loser
>>
>>63206726
Clockwork Orange was better than Eyes Wide Shut. His best film was either Paths of Glory or The Shining.
>>
>>63207467
I'd own the blu ray of that
>>
>>63207511
hahaha holy fucking shit /tv/ you did done it again.
>>
File: christopher-nolan11.jpg (26 KB, 296x400) Image search: [Google]
christopher-nolan11.jpg
26 KB, 296x400
>>63206446

>nominated 3 times
>never won

utter injustice. how does this make you feel?
>>
>>63207686
I'm surprisingly sad that he isn't doing Metal Gear Solid adaptation.

>Manly men
>No women except the Boss which dies so it fits Nolan's OM.
>Pseudo science fiction technical gibba gabbo.
>Somewhat cold world just like Nolan's
>>
>>63207770
>OM
meant MO obviously..

i'm sick currently so forgive me.
>>
>>63207770
also forgot
>Solid is quiet and autistic just like Bale's Batman or Bale's character from Prestige.
>>
File: Untitled 1.png (54 KB, 485x561) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 1.png
54 KB, 485x561
>>63207770
You are fucking retarded you lowlife pleb.
Nolan basically reinvented a new dimension of filmmaking.
too bad u need to have atleast an IQ of 140 to understand his themes ...Just stick with bay and ur marvel capeshit.
>>
>>63207822
POO IN LOO
>>
>>63207813
>>63207770
oh and
>decade spanning lost love 'do it for her' part in Interstellar mirroring Boss and Big Boss.
>>
>>63207880
hell he would be right there home with the phantom pain / memento stuff.
>>
File: Plebs 2.png (60 KB, 478x565) Image search: [Google]
Plebs 2.png
60 KB, 478x565
>>63207852
that's the best you can come up with???explains why you failed to get through the intricate complexity and stellar visuals of nolan's masterpieces.
>>
File: whatthefuck.jpg (26 KB, 698x672) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuck.jpg
26 KB, 698x672
>kubrick thread is now a nolan thread
>>
>>63207511
the killing was surprisingly fun and well made for being so early on
>>
>>63208033

Nolan is the Kubrick of this generation. deal with it f-am
>>
>>63207511
>Paths of Glory or The Shining
It's 2001, or Lyndon, you daft cunt.
>>
>>63208073
If that's true, then it only goes to show how far the industry has fallen since Stanley's time.
>>
>>63208033
They are pretty similar except Kubrick has got one movie that is good as opposed to Nolan's zero.
>>
>>63208073
Kubrick is a film genius, Nolan is a IMDB director
>>
File: my fav.jpg (155 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
my fav.jpg
155 KB, 800x800
>>63208073
i agree.
If anything Nolan is underrated and under appreciated .His materials will age like fine wine.Just like the general or citizen kane did.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
yfw you realize we don't have our own awards show
>>
Nolan is a psychopath.
>>
>>63210398
We tried to put one together a couple years ago, after seeing /v/ do theirs.

Obviously it didn't pan out.
>>
>>63210425
at least he is emotioanlly empty inside.
>>
>>63210398
On cinema Oscer special f a m
>>
>>63206446
It just proves how shit of a director he truly was.

Well, maybe shit is too strong a word. He is definitely pleb bait, though.
>>
>>63208073

Perhaps more than any other filmmaker in recent years, Christopher Nolan has a following. These so called "Nolanites" love to tout the brilliance of his films, and one of the most popular statements has been to call Nolan a modern Kubrick. Despite being a big fan of Nolan i've never quite understood this statement, especially considering Nolan's visual style does not have much in common with Kubrick's. But I think it goes beyond that, and after seeing Interstellar it finally clicked for me what the biggest difference is: Nolan's films lack subtext.

It really is that simple. For whatever reason, Nolan wants his characters to say exactly what they are thinking at any given time. If a character is mad at another character, they will state it plainly. The same goes for every single emotion. There is no misdirection, lying, innuendo, or nuance. It's as if Nolan wants to make sure we understand what the character is feeling and doesn't trust us to infer it by context.

This doesn't just relate to character feelings, but also to plot and theme. Look at the ending of Interstellar. When he gets to the weird Library near the end, we get it. We're literally seeing it happen. We don't necessarily understand how it's happening, but we do understand what is happening. Despite this, Nolan decided to have McConaughey and Chastain both state out loud to themselves what is going on, multiple times. Why? We already see what's happening, why exactly do we need the characters to awkwardly reinforce it by talking to themselves?
>>
>>63210734
This is especially interesting when you compare this scene to the ending of 2001, a film that Nolanites have been trying to compare to Interstellar since the film was first announced. In that famous ending to 2001, Kubrick doesn't explain anything. He just presents it, and leaves the meaning up to your own interpretation. This forces you to think about the film and what was happening, and is key to why the film is so iconic all these years later.

This is night and day different from Nolan's approach to a similarly bizarre event. Nolan chooses to explain it numerous times, just incase we were sleeping I guess, and the ultimate result of this is that we get it. There's nothing to solve, and we leave the theater not questioning "oh what did that mean?" but instead saying "huh, that was interesting" and then proceeding to realize all the plot holes in the film.

I admit I was in the crowd of people that was really hoping Nolan would finally "grow up" and make a picture that treats the audience with respect, but after seeing Interstellar i've realized he's just not that kind of filmmaker. Which leads to me the "why that's ok" part. You know what? I really enjoyed Interstellar. It was a blast and one of the most enjoyable theater experiences i've had this year. Despite being 2h49m, which is actually longer than 2001, I never felt bored for a single moment. This is the great skill of Nolan...he makes the most enjoyable blockbusters out there. And I accept that. I no longer wish for him to "grow up", because I actually really enjoy seeing his films. Sure, I don't think about them much afterwards and I will never put them on the same level of the great filmmakers, but for pure entertainment nobody does it better right now than Christopher Nolan, and for that I will always be a fan.
>>
>>63210745
Re-watching Inception earlier today with a roommate who hadn't seen it before, I realized I would be perfectly fine if Nolan stuck to more modern day, action-adventure movies. Inception has a lot of problems, but it's action sequences are great, and his choice to go for more practical effects was excellent. If he could put that kind of work onto someone else's script I think you could have a winner.
>>
>>63206446
Dude who is that fat bald guy I could care less
>>
>>63211097
Just so you know, you just read, digested and seriously replied to copy pasta bait.

Welcome to 4chinz.

Enjoy the ride.
>>
>>63211118
>implying I didn't know this
>implying Nolan doesn't lack subtlety
>>
>>63211152
you willingly read and engage in copy pasta knowing fully that the person who copied it did it simply because he was baited by >>63208073?

I think you are talking shit, newfag.
>>
File: thereisnothinginsidemenow.jpg (260 KB, 426x600) Image search: [Google]
thereisnothinginsidemenow.jpg
260 KB, 426x600
>>63207770

Who would you cast as a live action Boss?

She's a hot mommyfu with a strong jaw, so it needs to be someone with a very specific face and presence.
>>
File: oj.jpg (174 KB, 740x400) Image search: [Google]
oj.jpg
174 KB, 740x400
>>63211254
>>
>>63211254
>there will never Sergio Leone-like story of Snake Eater.

Fuckkkkkkk
>>
>>63211254
Cate Blanchett. Although I'd admit she might not be able to pull off the whole strong-voiced chastisement directed Big Boss.

Might have to go with Sharon Stone, she can do crazy bitch voice which can translate well to do the Boss's whole monologue at the end.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.